Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-09-2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmichael View Post
so I registered a few last weekend and got nothing so far (except an email receipt for credit card charge). Is that normal?
Nope.. when u hear nothing for atleast 2 months, than itl be normal
Old 10-09-2017, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmichael View Post
so I registered a few last weekend and got nothing so far (except an email receipt for credit card charge). Is that normal?
Yes.. normal.

I submitted on first day and didnt get any notification about anything until like 6-8 weeks later.
Old 10-09-2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
Yes.. normal.

I submitted on first day and didnt get any notification about anything until like 6-8 weeks later.
should have guessed that...
- Maximum Capacity: 2
Old 10-09-2017, 8:54 PM

Couldn't for the life of me find TPD (Tactical Product Design) on their drop-down list of manufacturers. Sent them an 'issue', "Assault Weapon Reg: I am having trouble submitting a transaction." Let's see how long it takes.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Couldn't for the life of me find TPD (Tactical Product Design) on their drop-down list of manufacturers. Sent them an 'issue', "Assault Weapon Reg: I am having trouble submitting a transaction." Let's see how long it takes.
If u read the first post in this, you wouldn’t have waisted your time
Old 10-10-2017, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Old 10-10-2017, 9:41 AM

Has anyone been confirmed yet? I got one kicked back, fixed it and resubmitted.
Old 10-10-2017, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Really?

I do admit that my waist is getting unfortunately larger in circumference recently, but that aside, there is nothing in the first post covering the issue. I checked a couple of times before submitting the issue.

I do note, after reading your first post a couple of times again after reading your above comment and then giving up, that I should have proceeded further down the thread paying attention in greater detail than a scan. Foolish me for thinking you might have put all the guidance in the first guidance post (That you wrote it in the first place, I appreciate, mind).

In any case, I would feel much more comfortable if the drop-down was modified to either include 'Other' or the manufacturer of my rifle. After all, "US" was the name of a firearms manufacturer from Connecticut which went out of business a couple years ago, and I could not see anything on the website indicating that I should select "US" for a catch-all as you subsequently proposed.

I accept that US did not manufacture modern-style rifles (now that I look them up), but for all I know, Cal DOJ simply imported a list of manufacturers. So, no, I don't think I was wasting my time, your suggestion notwithstanding.
Old 10-10-2017, 1:46 PM

U s stands for unlisted subject
Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 PM

So just to clarify, once people go featureless, they don't need to register right? Or they still need to register but show proof that the rifle is up to code (featureless) and not pay a fee.

Or you don't need to contact DOJ or any other government department?

Also I assume the reason/advantage for people that are registering is that once the window is missed, we cannot register again and in the future if they further passes law that restrict this kinda of firearm, we would get stuck with it?

And sorry last question, once you register I assume you cannot modify to featureless and sell it to unknown 3rd party correct? But can you still legally pass it down to your children or family member? And can your children keep passing it down to their children?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackliu239 View Post
So just to clarify, once people go featureless, they don't need to register right? Or they still need to register but show proof that the rifle is up to code (featureless) and not pay a fee.

Or you don't need to contact DOJ or any other government department?
Featureless does not need to be registered and you don't need to notify anyone.

Quote:

Also I assume the reason/advantage for people that are registering is that once the window is missed, we cannot register again and in the future if they further passes law that restrict this kinda of firearm, we would get stuck with it?
Yes, that's a big advantage of registration now.

Quote:

And sorry last question, once you register I assume you cannot modify to featureless and sell it to unknown 3rd party correct? But can you still legally pass it down to your children or family member? And can your children keep passing it down to their children?
You can do several things after you register to get rid of your firearm in the future:

1) You can legally co-register it with other legal age family members. You cannot leave it to anyone in a will or other inter-familiar transfer.

2) You can modify to featureless and contact the DOJ to have the weapon de-registered from the RAW database. When the process is done, you can sell it as a featureless rifle within CA.

3) You can sell your RAW as a RAW outside of CA granted it passes through an FFL with a license to sell RAW. No need to ever de-register but it would probably be a good idea to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well the wife received a letter from CA DOJ yesterday stating that they have processed my VOL-Reg AR pistol with self determined serial, today I submitted the RAW paperwork for both myself and the wife, we shall see when and if they accept it. For all the guns that I did joint registration, on hers I listed our wedding date for the date that she acquired them and from me, seeing how I built or bought all of them prior to that date.

We shall see what happens.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 PM

Default They wouldn't accept my photo

unicorn-ar15-chainsaw-1.jpg
Old 10-11-2017, 1:54 PM

Update

all of my 80% builds got kicked back for not having a DOJ supplied serial number. This includes ar pistols that have been vol regd last year, along with other ar pistols with ATF serial specs
Old 10-11-2017, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

They denied mine too, I wrote to them stating that I left the state for military service before the serial number process went into effect so I had to go with a personalized serial number. Told them I won’t return until after the registration period ends, asked them to please accept it under the circumstances.
Old 10-11-2017, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
They denied mine too, I wrote to them stating that I left the state for military service before the serial number process went into effect so I had to go with a personalized serial number. Told them I won’t return until after the registration period ends, asked them to please accept it under the circumstances.
Thanks for the update, let us know what happens.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 10-11-2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Update

all of my 80% builds got kicked back for not having a DOJ supplied serial number. This includes ar pistols that have been vol regd last year, along with other ar pistols with ATF serial specs
That's a big problem. Where do we sign up for the class action lawsuit. Especially with respect to the volreg'd ar pistols. They are already in the system. This confirms the worst fears, the DOJ does not want us to register.

Last edited by mshill; 10-11-2017 at 8:45 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

There will definetley be a lawsuit on that one. I encourage anyone who attempted to RAW weapons with volreggd serials to keep their paperwork. I will be submitting my application anyway knowing they will not honor it just to have the paperwork for future legal action.
Quote:

Old 10-11-2017, 8:50 PM

Machine gun amnesty

How times have changed.
Old 10-12-2017, 7:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
There will definetley be a lawsuit on that one. I encourage anyone who attempted to RAW weapons with volreggd serials to keep their paperwork. I will be submitting my application anyway knowing they will not honor it just to have the paperwork for future legal action.
I'll definitely throw my hat in the ring on that one and be a plaintiff.
Old 10-12-2017, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE:
I posted in the other guy's thread, but in case anyone is still following this one, Today I received actual approval in the mail for the 7 rifles I submitted on the first day of registration.

So a little over 2 months from start to finish..
Old 10-12-2017, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Update

Did they approve any of the other firearms from your submission?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyPhD View Post
Did they approve any of the other firearms from your submission?
Doesn’t look like it. They still say in progress online. Then again, any approval will come in the mail and I had it sent to my parents address that just burnt down from wildfire. I’ve submitted a change of address at the post office but it may take awhile for any mail To go there
Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Doesn’t look like it. They still say in progress online. Then again, any approval will come in the mail and I had it sent to my parents address that just burnt down from wildfire. I’ve submitted a change of address at the post office but it may take awhile for any mail To go there
Sorry to hear that man, good luck with your parents.
Quote:

Old 10-13-2017, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
UPDATE:

I posted in the other guy's thread, but in case anyone is still following this one, Today I received actual approval in the mail for the 7 rifles I submitted on the first day of registration.

So a little over 2 months from start to finish..

These rifles were with equipped with Radlocks correct? If so that answers that particular question that keeps showing up in the threads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally200 View Post
These rifles were with equipped with Radlocks correct? If so that answers that particular question that keeps showing up in the threads...

Yea .. 2 ARs have Raddlock BBs. 3 have Bullet-Button Brand BBs.

My 2 AKs also have different types of maglocks. Cant remember what brand they were though.
Old 10-15-2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally200 View Post

Nice, good to know. Was wondering this exact thing
Old 10-15-2017, 11:35 AM

Edit: Got it to work, Edge didn't work, IE didn't work, Chrome did.

Anyone know how to add additional firearms to the submission? The steps in the OP don't match what I am seeing, when trying to add the second firearm the attachments from the first are already in the submissions section and I cannot attach the pics of the second firearm.

This has obviously been designed to be as difficult as possible.

-Michael

Last edited by caarcher; 10-15-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Old 10-15-2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caarcher View Post
Edit: Got it to work, Edge didn't work, IE didn't work, Chrome did.

Anyone know how to add additional firearms to the submission? The steps in the OP don't match what I am seeing, when trying to add the second firearm the attachments from the first are already in the submissions section and I cannot attach the pics of the second firearm.

This has obviously been designed to be as difficult as possible.

-Michael
I registered 6 rifles last night. You have to do one rifle at a time then submit the final to the cart. Each has its own CRIS number. That was how I registered, I am not sure how others did though.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
I registered 6 rifles last night. You have to do one rifle at a time then submit the final to the cart. Each has its own CRIS number. That was how I registered, I am not sure how others did though.
Thanks Loaded, I was able to get all 5 registered. The problem was after adding the first rifle to the cart, subsequent entries had the photos from the first rifle so I could not upload any more photos. Edge and IE both had the same problem on 2 different computers. I tried Chrome and that worked.

-Michael
Old 10-18-2017, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

So the general consensus is that we have to apply for a DOJ serial number if it's a home built AR?
Old 10-18-2017, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
So the general consensus is that we have to apply for a DOJ serial number if it's a home built AR?
Not until July 1st 2018. You can volreg it before then and not have to deal with Ab 857 Cooper.

You can register as AW if it meets the requirments but you have to go through their assigned serial and marking requirment program.

Looks like featureless only unless you go RAW. I am converting all mine to featurless after I volreg but I will also be submitting they for,RAW so I can have documentation of the rejection.
Quote:

Old 10-18-2017, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

It seems people's AR pistols are getting rejected though.
Old 10-18-2017, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Even non-home builds? It's my understanding that if you submit to their serial process through form 1008, it will be registered. No one has got a 1008 serial back yet though, and that form is probably only been out a few weeks (maybe 8 weeks).
Quote:

Old 10-18-2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
The first calgunner to post his registration letter was for a pistol

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1386929
Old 10-18-2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Need clarification on home build vs commercial. And whether the registrant selected "rifle" or "pistol" for the firearm type. Or if anything else was filled out incorrectly.

We now know that trying to register a home build with a self-assigned serial will get rejected.
Old 10-18-2017, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

I built 6 AR pistols a few years ago and decided to part with three of the receivers. I really didn't need six pistols. they were made from 80% receivers and I added correc identifying info as required by ATF. I then transferred those receivers about a year or so later (after losing interest) through FFLs, legally, as pistols.

I wonder what CADOJ is going to want for manufacturer that originally has my name and identifying info on it. Will they have to apply for a unique serial number too?

Last edited by wireless; 10-18-2017 at 7:04 PM..
Old 10-18-2017, 8:00 PM

Since we’re on the topic of AR pistols, any feedback yet from anyone who started AW registration for a pistol or pistols DROSsed as SSE? I got my pistol in 2014 via SSE, then later converted to semi. I plan on registering towards the end of the year.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Thought some might find this helpful.

Got this note back on one of mine:

"Thank you for submitting your application. Your stock to barrel/other end photo was taken at an angle in which we cannot clearly see the front or back of the weapon. Please resubmit a photo of your firearm. Take a clear, top-view photo of your firearm laying down on a flat surface. Use flash and or interior lighting as needed. Refer to Section 5474 (c) in the following regulations:"

My original pic was looking back from tip of barrel towards stock.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyloo View Post
Thought some might find this helpful.

Got this note back on one of mine:

"Thank you for submitting your application. Your stock to barrel/other end photo was taken at an angle in which we cannot clearly see the front or back of the weapon. Please resubmit a photo of your firearm. Take a clear, top-view photo of your firearm laying down on a flat surface. Use flash and or interior lighting as needed. Refer to Section 5474 (c) in the following regulations:"

My original pic was looking back from tip of barrel towards stock.

For reference, here is how I took my pics. They were accepted..
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=392