Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 05-04-2009, 2:03 PM

Default Clean up required - Sonora, CA *PICS*

I visited a family member up in the mountains just above Sonora. This is near Yosemite for those of you who may not know this. If you know the area, the place I am about to show you is up Phoenix Lake road somewhere, off of county maintained roads. It's a dirt road that we took a hike on in the afternoon and came upon the following...

This is an atrocity to well-meaning shooters like you and me. Apparently this little section off the dirt road has been used alot as you can see, and the people who have used it don't give a damn about it. I'd like to get some people to go up there next time I'm in the area to go and clean this area up with me. I don't have a truck, so if someone in the area does that would be fantastic. If you'd like, please leave your contact info in this thread or pm it to me if you're in that area and would like to help the next time I'm up there. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 3:59 PM

that is unbelievable. unfortunately i think places like this are probably everywhere. this is exactly why we will slowly but surely lose access to public shooting places everywhere if we dont start picking up after ourselves. If i was closer to you I'd come along for the clean up.
Old 05-04-2009, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry I am not closer, I'd definitely pitch in. That is the nicest looking (in terms of natural beauty) free shooting spot I have seen.

BDD
Old 05-04-2009, 7:02 PM
Banned

What idiots. If they don't reload, it's easy enough to sell most of those empty
shotgun shells to other people that do. We used to have a big garbage can
full of 12 guage shells; when we were doing lots of hunting in the 70s and 80s.
They should be able to get 5 cents apiece for most of those shells and at least
double for the Winchester AA and Remington RXP cases...
Old 05-04-2009, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Those hulls look like federal or winchester value packs from walmart they don't hold the crimp for reloading.
The ones that people reload are double A A or nitro gold sporting clays.
they are not cheap so you will not likely to see them on the ground unless your on a sporting clay match or gun club.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Not all of those are the cheapie shells in the picture. Regular Winchester Mark 5's and Remington Express hulls load up easily in our MEC presses. Same with the Federal hulls...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 PM

I will personally go and pick up after these slobs. I hope when I get there, you will all have preceded me.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I visited a family member up in the mountains just above Sonora. This is near Yosemite for those of you who may not know this. If you know the area, the place I am about to show you is up Phoenix Lake road somewhere, off of county maintained roads. It's a dirt road that we took a hike on in the afternoon and came upon the following...

This is an atrocity to well-meaning shooters like you and me. Apparently this little section off the dirt road has been used alot as you can see, and the people who have used it don't give a damn about it. I'd like to get some people to go up there next time I'm in the area to go and clean this area up with me. I don't have a truck, so if someone in the area does that would be fantastic. If you'd like, please leave your contact info in this thread or pm it to me if you're in that area and would like to help the next time I'm up there. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Where exactley off Pheonix Lake road is it? Please give detailed directions so I can go clean this place up.
Old 05-11-2009, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7222 Hawker View Post
Where exactley off Pheonix Lake road is it? Please give detailed directions so I can go clean this place up.
Good! Glad to see someone is nearby and wants to help. I'm heading up there today in fact. Hopefully we'll get the chance to meet. BTW any brass picked up there is yours to keep if you help clean up. That goes for anybody...

As for location: It is in the Cedar Ridge area, way back there. Phoenix lake to Kewin Mill Rd. After that you would go on Keltz Mine Rd which is a mud/dirt road so hop out unless you have a strong 4 wheel drive. Almost right after it turns into a dirt road you'll come to a fork. Take the right one and a few hundred meters afterwards you'll arrive to the pictured area which is will be on the right of the road. I've provided a small map. It is not dead accurate. It just gives a general layout of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.055275&z=14
Old 05-11-2009, 3:25 PM

Is this National Forrest land? Looks like it on the map. I work about an hour from there might try to head up after work this weekend if I can.

Last edited by WhiteWhale; 05-11-2009 at 9:04 PM..
Old 05-11-2009, 6:28 PM

Darn, I live about 15 minutes from there in Soulsbyville. I'll have to go up and help out before summer school at Columbia College starts up.
Old 05-11-2009, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Went up there twice two years ago in July. Beautiful area. Sad to see that kind of bull****.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Is this National Forrest land? Looks like it on the map. I work about an hour from there might try to head up after work this weekend if I can.
I'm not 100% positive but I think it might be. I was up there yesterday and cleaned up the area behind the make shift firing line of rocks with my girlfriend. The area behind it looks so much better now, and I found a good amount of 9x19mm casings

Where shotshells once were:

Where trash once was:

As you can see, it still needs a lot of clean up gents:
Old 05-13-2009, 9:44 PM

Kudos to you and your GF! Awesome job!
Old 08-26-2009, 3:38 AM
Veteran Member

Morons like that deserves to have their weapons taken from them and destroyed right in front of them and then leave em' with the bill including the trash cleanup cost. Makes me just wanna smack em' right in the head. So disgusting to the firearms community

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 08-26-2009, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
Morons like that deserves to have their weapons taken from them and destroyed right in front of them and then leave em' with the bill including the trash cleanup cost. Makes me just wanna smack em' right in the head. So disgusting to the firearms community
If they are C&Rs I'll take them!

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 AM

I would love to help you, but I'm a three hour drive from there and don't have a car. If I did have a car I'd gladly make the three hour trip for some free shooting though.

"If you shoot a mime in the forest..." -My GF
Old 09-15-2009, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, that brings back some memories as a kid . My grandparents had a place off Pheonix Lake Road near the golf coarse back in the in 80's/90's. I think I recall the area in your pictures. It was bad 20 years ago.
Old 11-07-2009, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Requiem is my hero personally on this... ONLY dirtballs leave messes (if your reading this and you leave stuff) YOUr a freaking dirtball...

Requiem again you rock.

And who cares what the garbage is worth...

Today I found AT LEAST 200 9mm cases (NEW) not reloads someone just dumped...
Old 11-07-2009, 8:33 PM

This is kind of typical for a lot of Sonora rednecks. I'm surprised there wasn't beer cans on the ground and a fight going on too. A lot of meth users and small town mentality types. Plus this area is pretty close to town. I wonder how much of that was bought at Walmart?
Old 11-08-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldleviathan View Post
This is kind of typical for a lot of Sonora rednecks. I'm surprised there wasn't beer cans on the ground
There were, I probably just didn't get them in the pics

I try to pick up any brass or shotshells I see up there and give them away for free on calguns. I just gave away about 6-800 shotshell hulls to raymond on this forum. Sadly, whenever I go up there I don't have time or efficient resources to pick all the trash up myself. If someone wants to set a date and help me out with it, my schedule is fairly flexible.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Lets help him folks I can go but that is 1.5 hrs away... I will still do it but we have to have some local no?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
Lets help him folks I can go but that is 1.5 hrs away... I will still do it but we have to have some local no?
This thread is 6 months old. I would hope the situation has been resolved by now.
Old 11-09-2009, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCoberly View Post
This thread is 6 months old. I would hope the situation has been resolved by now.
Negative. As you see the last post I made was 11-08-2009 01:41 AM stating I still needed help. If someone wants to meet up and help out, pm me. I can't do all the pickup without a 4wd vehicle to haul the trash out from there.
Old 11-11-2009, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Ahhh Requiem doesn't it just seem people want to put a negative post when all we are trying to do is HELP!!!

BTW I have a 4wd truck.... I could drive out wiht my 2 kids on sinday. PM me if that works...
Old 11-11-2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Ahhh Requiem doesn't it just seem people want to put a negative post when all we are trying to do is HELP!!!

BTW I have a 4wd truck.... I could drive out wiht my 2 kids on sinday. PM me if that works...
Thanks for the offer, but Sunday is a no go as it's a drill weekend for me sorry.
Old 11-12-2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:

Easy there sparky. It was an honest question since the thread was started several months ago, one might assume the mess had been cleaned up by now.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Easy there sparky. It was an honest question since the thread was started several months ago, one might assume the mess had been cleaned up by now.
One might also check the date the last post was. Also, you didn't ask a question, not sure where you learned grammar... you were making a statement that had a rude connotation to it.
Old 11-14-2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
One might also check the date the last post was. Also, you didn't ask a question, not sure where you learned grammar... you were making a statement that had a rude connotation to it.

If my statement had a rude connotation that is an assumption by the reader. That's not really my problem. The date on the original post is what counts. The date on your reply to the redneck comment is immaterial. It's been six months now. How long does it take to pick up some cases?
Old 11-14-2009, 2:05 PM

Quote:
If my statement had a rude connotation that is an assumption by the reader. That's not really my problem. The date on the original post is what counts. The date on your reply to the redneck comment is immaterial. It's been six months now. How long does it take to pick up some cases?
The OP took the time to take pics and upload them right away but it's taken 6 months to clean it up? Sounds like he's waiting for someone to hold his hand.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorasam View Post
The OP took the time to take pics and upload them right away but it's taken 6 months to clean it up? Sounds like he's waiting for someone to hold his hand.
Really nice attitudes on both you guys... Dude is trying to help and keep shooting areas open and this is how we take care of him... Sparky huh? Nice. And Sam your in Sonora did you make the mess? First post is sweet nice.
Old 11-15-2009, 4:15 AM

Quote:
If you read the first posts, he doesn't live in sonora, and he's already been out there to clean up, what he can, by himself. Give the dude a hand, and quit being a dick about it. You guys are lucky to have places to legally shoot without going to a range, yet don't realize how quickly they can be lost without proper maintenance.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
If you read the first posts, he doesn't live in sonora, and he's already been out there to clean up, what he can, by himself. Give the dude a hand, and quit being a dick about it. You guys are lucky to have places to legally shoot without going to a range, yet don't realize how quickly they can be lost without proper maintenance.
Nice post appreciate you noticing this and speaking up!!

We need all the help we can and have people caring enough to take time out to help like Requiem!!

Here here!
Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I'll make sure to steer clear of you if I ever want help with anything, sonorasam.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Nice post appreciate you noticing this and speaking up!!

We need all the help we can and have people caring enough to take time out to help like Requiem!!

Here here!
If I lived closer, I'd go help out. As it is, I barely have time to get up into the hills as it is, or else I'd be out there all the time shooting for free, out in the wilderness...it's very nice up there...and it's too bad I can't get up there more often.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I am not close well (1.5 hrs away) and I hope I will be able to make a plan to go to help.. I get what your saying for sure.
Old 11-21-2009, 7:33 AM

Hey I'm new to this site and actually going today to buy my first and hopefully not last 1911 (kimber). I know of this so called shooting range well. It's a 10 min walk from my in-laws house. I'll be up there over thanksgiving, thurs and fri,but not the weekend. Let me know and I'll join in the clean up. The scumb bags up there dump there garbage all over that forest. It sucks. We run our dog there, ride our dirt bike and quads, hike,etc. They have no respect for their own back yard. I guess thats why there house's are usually surroundedin junk cars and crap. Sorry for the lang rant.
Old 11-21-2009, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks deucestroke you sound like a good person!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 6:02 PM

Quote:
My name is Requiem, and I like GUNS! Talk smack and I will throw monkey fecies in your general direction
Roger that bro. Lets plan a trip up in December (if its not fookn snowing). Shot shell reloading is uber cheap...so...I'll go pick up some hulls with ya. We'll take our boom-sticks and kill some paper too.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucestroke View Post
Hey I'm new to this site and actually going today to buy my first and hopefully not last 1911 (kimber). I know of this so called shooting range well. It's a 10 min walk from my in-laws house. I'll be up there over thanksgiving, thurs and fri,but not the weekend. Let me know and I'll join in the clean up. The scumb bags up there dump there garbage all over that forest. It sucks. We run our dog there, ride our dirt bike and quads, hike,etc. They have no respect for their own back yard. I guess thats why there house's are usually surroundedin junk cars and crap. Sorry for the lang rant.
Yeah I will be up there the day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday), so I'll try to bring some garbage bags there before I leave on thurs. morning. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Quote:
My name is Requiem, and I like GUNS! Talk smack and I will throw monkey fecies in your general direction
Roger that bro. Lets plan a trip up in December (if its not fookn snowing). Shot shell reloading is uber cheap...so...I'll go pick up some hulls with ya. We'll take our boom-sticks and kill some paper too.
Haha, thanks Kiel. Sounds good man.