Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-12-2018, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, JT design will not work for the LWRCi ambi lower.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:23 AM

This looks like a great fix for a pistol. Will it work with a SB Tactical PDW Brace? Fully closed?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:25 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeSe7en View Post
This looks like a great fix for a pistol. Will it work with a SB Tactical PDW Brace? Fully closed?
nope....i tried making my ?switch as low profile as possible but it won't close the PDW brace all the way. big deal? not at all.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protohyp View Post
nope....i tried making my ?switch as low profile as possible but it won't close the PDW brace all the way. big deal? not at all.
Nope no that much of a big deal, just have one on there and was curious. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
shave a little flatter angle on the back of your follower. its not a critical part so shave or sand it enough that the bolt rides right over it. i've done it to all mine and have 1000's of rounds throughout it with no issues
If you have the time, would you mind posting a pic of your modified Magpul follower(s)? I would like to see the angle of the bevel and how much we need to remove.

I just installed the JT system on a lower. As was indicated, my "G.I." mags work fine, but the mags I have with Magpul followers hang up.

I suppose I'll have to use my dremel and just be careful. This procedure is going to be a little more difficult on magazines that cannot be disassembled.
Old 03-16-2018, 7:21 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
If you have the time, would you mind posting a pic of your modified Magpul follower(s)? I would like to see the angle of the bevel and how much we need to remove.

I just installed the JT system on a lower. As was indicated, my "G.I." mags work fine, but the mags I have with Magpul followers hang up.

I suppose I'll have to use my dremel and just be careful. This procedure is going to be a little more difficult on magazines that cannot be disassembled.

You donít have to take much material off. If you have blocked mags just take a file and start filing with the side of the file and take a little bit off at a time and charge the handle to see if it drops. When it does just let shooting the rifle take care of the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://armaglock.com/product/ar-mag...-5-56-kingpin/

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078
Old 03-16-2018, 7:57 AM

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 03-16-2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
You donít have to take much material off. If you have blocked mags just take a file and start filing with the side of the file and take a little bit off at a time and charge the handle to see if it drops. When it does just let shooting the rifle take care of the rest

I wonder if I will have to do this to the Daniel Defense or hexmags? I guess I will find out! I get to pick up the rifle tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2018, 4:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantics View Post
I wonder if I will have to do this to the Daniel Defense or hexmags? I guess I will find out! I get to pick up the rifle tomorrow.
most likely yes. it doesnt hinder function...only enhances it if you shaved your bolt catch or use a system like the JT
Old 03-16-2018, 6:22 PM

Tag
Old 03-16-2018, 7:20 PM

Tagged
Old 03-16-2018, 7:37 PM
I have 1 Gunz (Vendor/Retailer)
CGN Contributor

Lancer Warfighter Magazines and itís follower functions with a JT setup and will not catch the bolt when the mag is empty. Tested with a 10rd and 10/20 factory blocked.

Vendor Details:
Garage hobbyist producing 3D printed accessory products.

Vendor Thread:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1483110

Web Shop URL:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ten-creations-workshop
Old 03-17-2018, 12:48 AM

Lancer 10/20 mags don’t touch and the bolt going home on empty. The Magpul M2 ans M3 drag but if you sling shot the charging handle it’ll go home but haven’t tried at range to confirm. Hexmag wont go home on empty by hand or sling shot the charging handle. Hexmag definitely needs to be modified.

Last edited by Zyralius; 03-17-2018 at 1:35 AM..
Old 03-17-2018, 7:10 AM

For comparison, here is what the USGI type followers look like. (Green ones are about the same I think.) These work great of course. Per the above pic, looks like we don't need to carry the beveling anywhere near this far. It does show that you could remove a heck of a lot more than that from the Magpul followers and not hurt the function, in theory. But of course the smart move is still just to remove only what is necessary for the bolt to skip over the follower without catching.

Old 03-17-2018, 8:00 AM

FYI JT Hell fighter is on sale through Turners now for $49.99 until April 27th. My local store was out of stock but were happy to quote a rain check.
Old 03-17-2018, 9:32 AM
I have 1 Gunz (Vendor/Retailer)
CGN Contributor

Default Juggernaut tactical takedown pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh;
FYI JT Hell fighter is on sale through Turners now for $49.99 until April 27th. My local store was out of stock but were happy to quote a rain check.

These can be ordered online as well. For those who have previously purchased them, check your credit card or charge cards for price protection guarantee programs which cover typically 60-90 days after purchase.

Vendor Details:
Garage hobbyist producing 3D printed accessory products.

Vendor Thread:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1483110

Web Shop URL:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/ten-creations-workshop
Old 03-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

tried it, it's not for me. went back to featureless.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock7 View Post
tried it, it's not for me. went back to featureless.
looking to make an announcement on this and my other thread hopefully at the end of next week that will make you change your mind.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
looking to make an announcement on this and my other thread hopefully at the end of next week that will make you change your mind.

I will order once you have some protohyp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-18-2018, 6:18 PM

One hellfighter kit on the way. I've been looking carefully at all the featureless/ fixed solutions that have been coming out for a while now. For my wants and needs this looks like a rock solid solution but I guess Ill find out once i get some trigger time with it.
Would love to hear some more reviews from people that have been using this set up longer than just one or two range trips.
Old 03-18-2018, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have place a hold on my JT order until this happens. I expect that your product will have the hold open feature while keeping the quick and minimal opening feature. If not, then ohhh well. This is where JT should have done. Furthermore, review all AR15 and AR10/SR25 models for compatibility as they do not apply to ALL as they claim.
Old 03-18-2018, 8:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmpr View Post
I have place a hold on my JT order until this happens. I expect that your product will have the hold open feature while keeping the quick and minimal opening feature. If not, then ohhh well. This is where JT should have done. Furthermore, review all AR15 and AR10/SR25 models for compatibility as they do not apply to ALL as they claim.

Yes it does maintain bolt holdback but this announcement will be bigger than that fact

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 03-18-2018, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes it does maintain bolt holdback but this announcement will be bigger than that fact

awesome!
Old 03-18-2018, 8:30 PM

Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Here's my analogy that anybody on calguns can understand:
Hunters = law abiding gun owners
Poachers = school shooters
See how big the difference is?
Old 03-18-2018, 8:32 PM

Proto,

Would you by chance be making a model that will work with a PSA PA10? I believe they're ar15 length and ar10 width!

Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
Old 03-18-2018, 8:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res View Post
Proto,

Would you by chance be making a model that will work with a PSA PA10? I believe they're ar15 length and ar10 width!

Currently no we donít unfortunately but Daniel Defense has requested us to do a pin for their DD5 line. I assume that it would be the same but a larger pin diameter. It is on the drawing board and hopefully will have a timeline for that soon

Old 03-18-2018, 8:59 PM

Tagged
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 PM

Are new definition fixed mag devices limited to 10 round magazines like Bullet button guns were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 PM

yes. Fixed magazine > 10 rounds = assault weapon. That hasn't changed.
Old 03-19-2018, 9:42 AM

Having watched their instruction video and installed one of these myself, I see two problems with these instructions:
  • He doesn't explain what the set screw is actually for and how to adjust it correctly. He assumes everyone must already know.
  • And he skips over what happens when that rear pin is pulled back out to so as to install the upper. Basically that rear pin, with its big cutout, goes all wonky---since the detent spring pushes against the pin and the cutout allows the be pushed way out of alignment. I don't think it comes out far enough to lose the detent, but it's a weird situation you find yourself in suddenly.
They should explain that the set screw is to tune the magazine catch, and that it should be adjusted/checked before installing the upper; not "wait 24 hours" and then worry about if you got it right the first time. FWIW, I think that set screw might be unnecessary. If it didn't exist, the mag lock would probably function the way it's supposed to. I guess the set-screw adjustment is just to account for slight differences between manufacturers and configurations.

And they should tell you not to push the takedown pin back in once the upper is removed. Leave it "out" and you won't encounter the problem. Kind of hard to avoid the issue though when installing the pin for the very first time, if you follow their instructions exactly.

If I were writing the instructions (which is the kind of thing I do for a living) I would tell the user to do the installation in a different order:
  1. Separate the upper from the lower.
  2. Swap out the mag-catch parts and get those sorted out, making sure that a magazine locks properly and that the release button function once the standard takedown pin is pulled out and the upper is lifted open a crack.
  3. Separate the upper from the lower again.
  4. Remove the buffer and spring, and free up the detent and spring per the video. then remove the original takedown pin.
  5. Reinstall the upper receiver and and secure it in position on the lower. Support the barrel as necessary.
  6. Install the new JT pin in the lower, oriented as needed to accept the detent.
  7. Tighten the castle nut etc, re-compress the detent spring.
  8. Finally, install the spring and knurled nut on the left side of the pin.
  9. Perform functional tests per the mfr design.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Having watched their instruction video and installed one of these myself, I see two problems with these instructions:
  • He doesn't explain what the set screw is actually for and how to adjust it correctly. He assumes everyone must already know.
  • And he skips over what happens when that rear pin is pulled back out to so as to install the upper. Basically that rear pin, with its big cutout, goes all wonky---since the detent spring pushes against the pin and the cutout allows the be pushed way out of alignment. I don't think it comes out far enough to lose the detent, but it's a weird situation you find yourself in suddenly.
They should explain that the set screw is to tune the magazine catch, and that it should be adjusted/checked before installing the upper; not "wait 24 hours" and then worry about if you got it right the first time. FWIW, I think that set screw might be unnecessary. If it didn't exist, the mag lock would probably function the way it's supposed to. I guess the set-screw adjustment is just to account for slight differences between manufacturers and configurations.

And they should tell you not to push the takedown pin back in once the upper is removed. Leave it "out" and you won't encounter the problem. Kind of hard to avoid the issue though when installing the pin for the very first time, if you follow their instructions exactly.

If I were writing the instructions (which is the kind of thing I do for a living) I would tell the user to do the installation in a different order:
  1. Separate the upper from the lower.
  2. Swap out the mag-catch parts and get those sorted out, making sure that a magazine locks properly and that the release button function once the standard takedown pin is pulled out and the upper is lifted open a crack.
  3. Separate the upper from the lower again.
  4. Remove the buffer and spring, and free up the detent and spring per the video. then remove the original takedown pin.
  5. Reinstall the upper receiver and and secure it in position on the lower. Support the barrel as necessary.
  6. Install the new JT pin in the lower, oriented as needed to accept the detent.
  7. Tighten the castle nut etc, re-compress the detent spring.
  8. Finally, install the spring and knurled nut on the left side of the pin.
  9. Perform functional tests per the mfr design.
They do have a video explaining the set screw and how to properly adjust it. It should be part of the install video and I do not understand why they made a separate video for it lol.

https://youtu.be/KnPGHZSTSzU
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexantics View Post
They do have a video explaining the set screw and how to properly adjust it. It should be part of the install video and I do not understand why they made a separate video for it lol.

https://youtu.be/KnPGHZSTSzU
Thanks. It was probably an afterthought on their part. "Oops, we forgot to talk about adjusting the screw! Better make another video." They should edit the that first vid, provide a link to the second. And also, provide a link to that video on the same main product page (where the link to the "Installation Instructions" vid is found).

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 03-19-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Old 03-23-2018, 5:58 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Here you go guys. As promised the latest update on ?Switch. I know this is a juggernaut thread but just wanted to update you guys anyway. Please watch this video.

https://youtu.be/QGLay0egaX8

Old 03-23-2018, 9:45 PM

Very nice, hoping this will work on a LWRCI lower.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
[/LIST]
I had to screw it down a little more on my 9mm, because there was too much wiggle room between the mag catch and block. The uzi mags i have had a little more wiggle room and were able to unlock after a few attempts.

Quote:
[/LIST]
I had the pin turn on me and the detent fly forward during one of my takedowns with upper still attached. the detent was lodged enough where it wouldn't fall out, but also enough where it wouldn't easily line up and slide back down the hole. It took quite some time with a sharpened end of an allen wrench to finally get it back in. Definitely wouldn't want that happening out at the range with nothing but my **** in my hand. I will be bringing dental picks in my bag.

Overall feel, I would give it an A. my only gripe is how the button interferes with the safety.

Quote:
Here you go guys. As promised the latest update on ?Switch. I know this is a juggernaut thread but just wanted to update you guys anyway. Please watch this video.

You can definitely put me down for 2

Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
Old 03-24-2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:

Very cool, please keep all of us posted. I just bought a JT Hell fighter last week but don't mind trying out multiple products to see which works for me best.
Old 03-24-2018, 5:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Just curious, why did you reverse/mirror the video?
Old 03-24-2018, 6:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Thanks. Just curious, why did you reverse/mirror the video?
I was using the selfie mode on my camera thats why i'm staring kind of creepily into the camera because of the glare...I was too lazy reverse the image in my editing software...plus wanted to get it to you guys right after I left the range.
Old 03-24-2018, 6:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res View Post
I had to screw it down a little more on my 9mm, because there was too much wiggle room between the mag catch and block. The uzi mags i have had a little more wiggle room and were able to unlock after a few attempts.

I had the pin turn on me and the detent fly forward during one of my takedowns with upper still attached. the detent was lodged enough where it wouldn't fall out, but also enough where it wouldn't easily line up and slide back down the hole. It took quite some time with a sharpened end of an allen wrench to finally get it back in. Definitely wouldn't want that happening out at the range with nothing but my **** in my hand. I will be bringing dental picks in my bag.

Overall feel, I would give it an A. my only gripe is how the button interferes with the safety.

You can definitely put me down for 2
This is why I've taken so long to come out with my pin. First and foremost was the safety. Being that it is an essential operation to firing an AR there was no way I was going to have a big button getting in the way of that. I've had to adjust the distance from the receiver a million times to get it to work with our spring and not hinder using a safety. For the shooters that have small safeties it may be an issue but a standard mil spec or after market extended safety you're good to go.

And yes there was the detent issues. That is why we are providing a custom detent spring and detent so these things don't go flying out.
Old 03-24-2018, 7:49 AM

Quote:
I was using the selfie mode on my camera thats why i'm staring kind of creepily into the camera because of the glare...I was too lazy reverse the image in my editing software...plus wanted to get it to you guys right after I left the range.
Thanks. Much appreciated. And thanks for explaining the double-feed fix.

The JT release-stop piece seems to work pretty well "under laboratory conditions", but since the clearances are tight, I wonder how well it will work if it gets a little grit in there. Might get to a point where the springs will not have the force to overcome the friction. (Maybe this has already been discussed.) I guess you could still push that piece up with your freehand thumb. Wouldn't be an ideal situation though. And then it would require cleaning at some point.