Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-03-2018, 7:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
causing a drop in prices already? a PC9 in San Diego for $450

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1412447
Yep... I'm the one that's snatching it up. So excited. I'll be in line for the new carbine as well but once they work out any knicks, if any. The primary problem - it's butt-ugliness will never be corrected (well... maybe magpul might pull something off).

Last edited by bellts; 01-04-2018 at 6:22 PM..
Old 01-03-2018, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I’m thinking 8 MOA C-more Railway red dot sight on this for run and gun type shooting. Any other ideas?

Old 01-03-2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
This one's going to be winner I'm looking forward to the 45acp that will accept 1911 mags version. Very practical gun.
Why can't the carbine be set up for 9mm 1911 mags?
Old 01-03-2018, 9:41 PM

This thing is going to be all kinds of fun. I want one with a wood stock. With the modular construction, including the drop in mag wells, a wood stock should be no problem. Couldn't do that with the PC9. Anyone know if you could just drop it into a 10/22 stock? That would be ideal.

And although I agree that 10mm would be pretty cool, I'm sort of thinking .357 Sig. If they ever make it in .40, you could get one of those, a 9mm barrel, have the 9mm chamber reamed out for .357 Sig, and presto, you've got a .357 Sig! I'm thinking they are going to make it in .40 before they do a 10mm.
Old 01-03-2018, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpython View Post
Because

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-03-2018, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
This thing is going to be all kinds of fun. I want one with a wood stock. With the modular construction, including the drop in mag wells, a wood stock should be no problem. Couldn't do that with the PC9. Anyone know if you could just drop it into a 10/22 stock? That would be ideal.

And although I agree that 10mm would be pretty cool, I'm sort of thinking .357 Sig. If they ever make it in .40, you could get one of those, a 9mm barrel, have the 9mm chamber reamed out for .357 Sig, and presto, you've got a .357 Sig! I'm thinking they are going to make it in .40 before they do a 10mm.
They'd be foolish to do a .40 before a 10mm since you can usually shoot .40 out of a 10mm.

In other words, if you make it a 10mm, you get a .40 too.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-03-2018, 11:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Probably would not sell well. Most people will want the ability to use double stack magazines holding much more than the 9-10 rounds in a 1911 9x19 magazine.
Old 01-04-2018, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
They'd be foolish to do a .40 before a 10mm since you can usually shoot .40 out of a 10mm.

In other words, if you make it a 10mm, you get a .40 too.
Foolish, huh? Let's look at the evidence:

1. Glocks can shoot .40 out of a 10mm. They do it by holding the rim in the extractor since the .40 is too short to head space properly in a 10mm chamber.
Although there are plenty of people on here who will tell you it works just fine, this practice is not endorsed by Glock. Its not like shooting .38 Special out if a .357 revolver. Ruger would be fooolish to trot out a 10mm and say: "Use it for .40 also." One mishap and the lawyers would put them out of business.

2. There are "lots" more shooters of .40 in this country than 10mm. Statistics are hard to find, like everything else gun related, but the delta is probably 50x.

3. To make a 10mm, they are going to have to beef up the bolt a lot, at a minimum, and probably other parts as well. This will add weight and decrease the appeal of a handy, light carbine.

So Ruger marketing might take a different view of what is "foolish." Of course, if they are foolish enough to put one out in 10mm, I'll probably be foolish enough to buy that one too! Be pretty cool to share mages with my G20SF (that I never run .40 out of).
Old 01-04-2018, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
Foolish, huh? Let's look at the evidence:

1. Glocks can shoot .40 out of a 10mm. They do it by holding the rim in the extractor since the .40 is too short to head space properly in a 10mm chamber.
Although there are plenty of people on here who will tell you it works just fine, this practice is not endorsed by Glock. Its not like shooting .38 Special out if a .357 revolver. Ruger would be fooolish to trot out a 10mm and say: "Use it for .40 also." One mishap and the lawyers would put them out of business.

2. There are "lots" more shooters of .40 in this country than 10mm. Statistics are hard to find, like everything else gun related, but the delta is probably 50x.

3. To make a 10mm, they are going to have to beef up the bolt a lot, at a minimum, and probably other parts as well. This will add weight and decrease the appeal of a handy, light carbine.

So Ruger marketing might take a different view of what is "foolish." Of course, if they are foolish enough to put one out in 10mm, I'll probably be foolish enough to buy that one too! Be pretty cool to share mages with my G20SF (that I never run .40 out of).
You're talking about liability issues. I'm talking about common practice.

The 10mm is also far more potent than other common factory semi-auto pistol cartridges, which makes it a perfect candidate for a carbine.

In addition, there's virtually no competition out there for a 10mm carbine. There's a whole lot of competition for a .40 carbine. I think it'd be a smart move by Ruger.

And no, I personally don't shoot .40 out of my 10mm's. But I know it's a common practice.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-04-2018, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah you definitely cannot count on shooting .40 out of a Ruger 10mm carbine... Ruger only has an auto 10mm in the SR 1911 line IIRC... and one in revolvers I think. Not that they could not release a carbine in 10mm that came with the SR 1911 mag insert and also came with a Glock 10mm insert.

I've always thought ballistics of cartridges like .357 Mag and .44 Mag out of lever guns were great. A 10mm would be interesting, but most will probably be happy with a 9mm carbine. I don't think .40 would be that popular either (compared to 9mm).

Definitely would be a bummer to pickup a 9mm and feel 7 pounds and compare to a 10mm and feel 10 pounds. Similar to the differences between the LCR .38+P and a .357 version or 9mm version going from alloy to steel... it'd be significant IMHO. 10mm fans would buy one, but who knows what those numbers would look like... the 9mm is going to explode off shelves.

I'd like as many options as possible of course.

If nothing materializes you could always spring for a JR Carbine "Safe Act" Thordsen stocked 10mm.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-04-2018 at 8:42 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Probably would not sell well. Most people will want the ability to use double stack magazines holding much more than the 9-10 rounds in a 1911 9x19 magazine.
So mechanically there is no deterrent? Hypothetically, some after market "adapter" could be produced?
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So mechanically there is no deterrent? Hypothetically, some after market "adapter" could be produced?
Thanks.
Hard to say I haven't seen the gun in person. Might not be possible since gun is set up for double stack magazines.
Old 01-04-2018, 3:03 PM

Is this +P+ rated?
Old 01-04-2018, 5:52 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I reserved one at Turner’s Lake Forest, the first one at that location apparently. The staff confirmed that it’s the Glock mag version with threaded barrel. It’s $529.99 full price and they are expected to receive them next month. I’m excited !!
Old 01-04-2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I reserved one at Turner’s Lake Forest, the first one at that location apparently. The staff confirmed that it’s the Glock mag version with threaded barrel. It’s $529.99 full price and they are expected to receive them next month. I’m excited !!
I've got one reserved there as well. I need to ask about the price as I was told it was $569. I didn't know about the pre-sale price and was in a hurry so I didn't ask many questions .
Old 01-04-2018, 6:17 PM

It's interesting how this thread devolved into a discussion of 10mm. My b.s. meter is flashing yellow.

Let's see now: a carbine in 9mm is not ok, because it's a pistol caliber. A carbine in .30 Carbine is not ok, because it is a carbine caliber. A carbine in .40 or 10mm is ok, because it is a pistol caliber. Huh?

And, we are told that you don't gain anything by shooting a pistol caliber round out of a longer barrel......UNLESS it is anything else but 9mm, so if it is "bigger" than 9mm you gain lots and lots!

And while we're at it, let's criticize and dismiss .30 carbine, even though it hits with the energy of a .357mag at 50 yards if not longer. Yes, I own an M1 Carbine.

The reason there are few 10mm options is that very few want 10mm, and those who don't want that round includes the FBI.

If what you want is a bullet with a big diameter above all else, go ahead and shoot .45 acp, .454 Casull, .50 Desert Eagle, or 10mm. You can kill pickup trucks and blow down doors. Better yet, get a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel, cut the barrel and stock, and shoot slugs. Then you can remind us that bigger is better.

“You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We’ll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we’ll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. ” (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 01-04-2018, 6:19 PM

9mm and .45 would be nice. Wood stock, please.
Old 01-04-2018, 6:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
9mm 1911 mags barely work in 1911s!!

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 01-04-2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
You're talking about liability issues. I'm talking about common practice.

The 10mm is also far more potent than other common factory semi-auto pistol cartridges, which makes it a perfect candidate for a carbine.

In addition, there's virtually no competition out there for a 10mm carbine. There's a whole lot of competition for a .40 carbine. I think it'd be a smart move by Ruger.

And no, I personally don't shoot .40 out of my 10mm's. But I know it's a common practice.
High point is coming out with one model 1095ts

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I might have to get one of these puppies. Sounds like fun. I wonder how the 9mm performs at 100 yds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2018, 9:16 PM

Kygunco.com emailed me and told me that they couldn't ship the 17rd version of the rifle w/o the magazines because the rifle has a threaded barrel. I thought it was legal for us to get one with a threaded barrel?
Old 01-04-2018, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry753 View Post
Kygunco.com emailed me and told me that they couldn't ship the 17rd version of the rifle w/o the magazines because the rifle has a threaded barrel. I thought it was legal for us to get one with a threaded barrel?
It is they are being dumb. They are confusing long guns with handguns where in CA you can't have a threaded barrel.
Old 01-04-2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
They are being dumb. Perfectly legal to have a threaded barrel on a rifle with no features.
Old 01-04-2018, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They are confusing our laws with those of other states - like NY - where the threaded barrel is an evil feature.

In CA, threaded barrel is an evil feature on semiauto handguns, but not on semiauto rifles.

If you want to try to convince them of this, point them to 30515 and point out that the law says:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...5.&lawCode=PEN

(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:

(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.

(B) A thumbhole stock.

(C) A folding or telescoping stock.

(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.

(E) A flash suppressor.

(F) A forward pistol grip.

< snip, and for pistols >

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

(B) A second handgrip.

(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning the bearer’s hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.

(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

It's aggravating for us to keep aware of CA's dumb laws, but Kygunco has to be aware of all states' dumb laws, which is far more work.

-- Michael
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 PM

Location: My gun has killed less people than Uber’s self driving car.

Damn, now I’m going to have to explain to my wife why I need another rifle...

Once you guys find a company willing to ship the threaded barrel version, without the 17 round mag, to CA please be sure to update this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwin84 View Post
High point is coming out with one model 1095ts
Yeah, but Hi-Points are flat out fugly. The Ruger is no beauty queen, but at least it's not hideous like a Hi-Point.

Last edited by k1dude; 01-04-2018 at 10:42 PM..
Old 01-05-2018, 1:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Mulder View Post
Damn, now I’m going to have to explain to my wife why I need another rifle...

Once you guys find a company willing to ship the threaded barrel version, without the 17 round mag, to CA please be sure to update this thread.
Placed a order for a threaded barrel version from a local Turner's for a sale price of $529, will supposedly start shipping next month.
Old 01-05-2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Placed a order for a threaded barrel version from a local Turner's for a sale price of $529, will supposedly start shipping next month.
Is the sale still on and was it in a ad somewhere? Dud not see notice of sale. Wonder if the SFV or Oxnard Turners are aware?

Thanks in advance.

Democrats, Liberals, Socialists and all election losers. We are sorry you are in darkness now. You need to undertake the TARD protocol to become rational again.
Old 01-05-2018, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but Hi-Points are flat out fugly. The Ruger is no beauty queen, but at least it's not hideous like a Hi-Point.
More important how it shoots than how it looks... That said the hi-point ..single stack and pistol grip...

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 6:14 AM

Location: My gun has killed less people than Uber’s self driving car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
That’s awesome, I wish I had a Turners here. The nearest one is 154 miles away according to google maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
Don't sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.
Old 01-05-2018, 6:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfaDI View Post
Is the sale still on and was it in a ad somewhere? Dud not see notice of sale. Wonder if the SFV or Oxnard Turners are aware?

Thanks in advance.
I read about the pre-order sale in this thread, I didn't see it on their website nor email. The guy in Pasadena Turner's was about to ring up $569.99 but then I remembered this thread and I asked him isn't there a $529.99 preorder special, he walked to the back and then came back out and adjusted the price.
Old 01-05-2018, 7:10 AM

Wouldn't mind if Magpul stuck their nose in this one too...

Old 01-05-2018, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop1051 View Post

More options are good. Personally, I don't know why people want to muck up a perfectly good classic look like a Mossberg pump, Rem 870, or standard lines of a 10/22 with angled Magpul tech crap and plastic MLOK. Especially when the standard stock adjust LOP such a wide range. I guess even PC9's have to look like AR's for some people. IMHO.
Old 01-05-2018, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
More options are good. Personally, I don't know why people want to muck up a perfectly good classic look like a Mossberg pump, Rem 870, or standard lines of a 10/22 with angled Magpul tech crap and plastic MLOK. Especially when the standard stock adjust LOP such a wide range. I guess even PC9's have to look like AR's for some people. IMHO.
+1

will be waiting for a non-takedown "standard" version maybe in 40 or 45.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:02 AM

They're here...

https://www.turners.com/ruger/ruger-...-barrel-660264
Old 01-05-2018, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop1051 View Post

That looks a helluva lot better than what Ruger is putting on it. Ruger needs some better aesthetic designers.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsandrockets View Post
aww, it is for the non-threaded barrel version.

guess i'll have to wait for an out of state vendor to sell the threaded barrel version with the magazine removed.

just an FYI, since i haven't seen this posted, ruger is also releasing a rimfire version of the RPR.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-05-2018, 2:38 PM

man theis thred grew 2 pAGES FROM WHEN I STARTED READING. and ya i love it im gunna make a call see if i can make a preorder deposit
Old 01-05-2018, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

That Turners ad says temporarily unavailable. So they don't have any, just like every other gun shop.
Old 01-05-2018, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That Turners ad says temporarily unavailable. So they don't have any, just like every other gun shop.
Yes not till mid February and as of now they are only showing item #19101.