Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-19-2018, 9:52 AM

Default Springfield AR-15 Saint Owners - Love to hear from you

Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a featureless AR-15. You may have read my thread on the general discussion forum. So I've narrowed it down to a couple of rifles. One of them is the Springfield Saint.

I'm specifically looking at the featureless free float version. I handled it on the weekend at an LGS. Liked the feel of it. The fit/finished seemed great. This is my first AR so I am no expert though. The price at $849 was also well within what I want to spend.

There seems to be a lot of bias against Springfield in general and I'm trying to wade through that and get objective feedback on the rifle from folks that own it or have owned it and actually fired it.
  1. What do you like about the rifle?
  2. What don't you like about it?
  3. Any malfunctions and what were they?
  4. Do you recommend the rifle?

Again, it's between this and one other featureless AR model. I won't say which since I am looking for specific feedback on the Saint.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Not played with the Saint at all -- so there's your caveat. However, reputable ARs are reputable. And the good thing about the AR platform is, that if you don't like something, you can always swap it out and upgrade it later. It's not hard to do.

There are some on the forum who dislike Springfield for a political fiasco last year. I wouldn't sweat that, but overall Springfield is a reputable company, and they make good products. From what I've seen of the Saint, it's a good starter AR, and I don't think you'll be disappointed (especially since you have no previous reference point!).

It'll keep you occupied enough until you want to start upgrading... or even building your own ARs =).
Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

If you want it, buy it OP.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 03-19-2018, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Its you standard AR. You'll be ok. Ive only handled one.
Old 03-19-2018, 1:15 PM

My friend bought one and I got to handle and shoot it, it's your standard AR even though they try to advertise it as innovative. It's nice though and it's reliable, but it's neither great nor bad. Personally I'd rather build a higher quality AR for the same money.
Old 03-19-2018, 1:42 PM

I have the original (non-free-floated), keymod version.

It's one of the better factory-offered CA compliant rifles out there IMO. I like the Option Zero stock for the extra mag holder on the stock, but it does add a bit of weight and, let's but honest, it's fugly. I like the mid-length gas system, it's a bit softer shooting than my carbines.

My round count is up to ~1500. I had one total malfunction to date, during a defensive rifle class. I was I think 400-450 rounds into the class (rifle was gooped up and gritty), and I had a F2F. Cleared it and kept going without issue after that.

It's a 2MOA gun in my less-than-marksman hands. The free-floated might be slightly better.

It's currently set up as my house gun w/ light and red dot since it's proven itself to be reliable.

I'd recommend it, but for the $, I think the M&P Sport II is a better value (I have one of those as well, also reliable and a bit lighter than the Saint).

If you're willing to go the aftermarket compliant route (kydex grip wraps, etc.) then you have a lot of options. WBT, Atlantic, Prepper Gun Shop, others stock quite a few.
Old 03-19-2018, 2:48 PM

For me the Ruger and the M&P are better values. I like the Ruger over the M&P. The CA M&P twist rate is 1 in 9 last I checked and the Ruger is 1 in 8. You could get the Ruger or the MP, plus 1000 rounds of steel ammo for the price of the Saint.

You really can't go wrong with any of the 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamael View Post
I have the original (non-free-floated), keymod version.

It's one of the better factory-offered CA compliant rifles out there IMO. I like the Option Zero stock for the extra mag holder on the stock, but it does add a bit of weight and, let's but honest, it's fugly. I like the mid-length gas system, it's a bit softer shooting than my carbines.

My round count is up to ~1500. I had one total malfunction to date, during a defensive rifle class. I was I think 400-450 rounds into the class (rifle was gooped up and gritty), and I had a F2F. Cleared it and kept going without issue after that.

It's a 2MOA gun in my less-than-marksman hands. The free-floated might be slightly better.

It's currently set up as my house gun w/ light and red dot since it's proven itself to be reliable.

I'd recommend it, but for the $, I think the M&P Sport II is a better value (I have one of those as well, also reliable and a bit lighter than the Saint).

If you're willing to go the aftermarket compliant route (kydex grip wraps, etc.) then you have a lot of options. WBT, Atlantic, Prepper Gun Shop, others stock quite a few.
Old 03-19-2018, 5:17 PM

Hey thanks everyone that has commented so far. Really helpful.

This will be my first AR. I know the old saying of "Buy once. Cry once" but I currently can't justify spending on a high end AR. This is somewhat of an impulse buy. I never had any desire to own an AR. It really is only because I'm being told by so many that they want to strip me of my right to own one. My wife and I have decided we should get one. In someways its to flip these a-holes the bird. Kind of a spite thing. But also, I want to get one before I can't. I don't want to could've, should've.

I don't know how much I will use it. We shoot our pistols weekly. Just time the two of spend together at the range shooting paper or plinking. The current intent is to do the same with the AR. Albeit less frequently since we have to travel up to Oak Tree to shoot the AR. We normally shoot at Firing Line and they don't allow rifle calibers.

A standard, mid-level AR is all I want right now. I want a featureless AR even though I find them kind of fugly. However, I can't bring myself to buy a fixed mag unit just so it looks cooler. The Saint is one we both really liked when we handled it. Fit well for the two of up. Trigger was pretty smooth. Was surprised. No grit or play. The rifle seemed pretty solid. I did look at a few others. There is one other I'm debating on and your feedback has mean leaning to the Saint but still not 100 on it.

As for build, I actually love tinkering with ****. I know I would love it but I just don't have the time right now for that. I can almost guarantee that I will end up buy a second AR after we get some experience with this one and understand more how we will enjoy using it. Maybe I will build that one. That may end up being sooner rather than later depending on what happens over the next few months with all the drama going on.

Again. Grateful for all the information and please, anyone that hasn't shared their thoughts on the Saint, please do.
Old 03-19-2018, 8:41 PM
CGSSA Leader

Your wife will steal your first AR and you will need to buy your own.

You've been warned

Last edited by afteractionreport; 03-19-2018 at 8:44 PM..
Old 03-19-2018, 8:55 PM

Too expensive for what it is. Pass.
Old 03-19-2018, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Handled my friend's Saint for the first time this weekend. Definitely was not impressed with the quality.
Old 03-19-2018, 9:55 PM

You can build an AR to in a few hours if you go the lower + parts kit+ completed upper. Itís really that simple.

You need some basic tools but nothing that would break the bank.

Good luck with what ever you choose.