Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-20-2013, 1:43 PM

Default Opinions on Car Gun Safes

Looking at purchasing a couple gun safes for our cars. Anyone use either of these?

Club LB200

GunVault NV100

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2013, 2:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gunvault sucks. All these security containers can be defeated by a determined thief, but GV & StackOn stuff will open with the greatest of ease. Paperclips, water, tubular lock picks. Too many vectors of attack it is vulnerable to.

If you want a biometric or electronic lock look at the LockSAF brand. For something that will fit better in a car you probably want a simplex mechanism like those made by V-Line.

I've done a ton of research on such containers recently so if you have any questions you can PM me - I may know the answer.
Old 06-20-2013, 2:30 PM

I do have a gun vault however its hidden really well inside my vechicle...
Old 06-20-2013, 2:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Useless.

I volunteered at a garage for a month when I was in the AF.If it can be bolted into a car,that same item can be unbolted in a hurry.Even if the box itself is impregnable, the car isn't.A coat hanger and 30 seconds is all a scumbag needs to get into the car.Or a suitably sized brick.

Your car seat?Secured with 4 bolts.
Center console? 10 minutes and a socket wrench will make short work of that.

Once the box is separated from the car,the scum can bust it open at their leisure.Considering most cars are stolen to be stripped for parts which are later re-sold for a profit,its a matter of time before the chop shop finds-and opens a vehicle lockbox.

If a situation arises where a weapon must be left in a car,field stripping it and taking the barrel or slide alone with you denies the crooks a functional gun if your car is stolen.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-20-2013, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

My purpose of having one is if I'm in a situation where I need to discretely remove in the cabin. I can't just pop my trunk, walk out, and remove the pistol.

Ideally, I'd love to leave it in the trunk and activate valet mode, but that wouldn't be the constant case.

I do see your point about disabling the firearm however. The problem that I see with that is having to unload the chamber let alone getting gun grease/oil all over your hands. The less you touch the pistol, the less likely chance of accidental discharge.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 06-20-2013, 7:02 PM
Banned

In car gun safes are not useless. Thieves have a clock ticking that demands they get stuff done sooner than later, even if they are stealing the whole ride. Also, even if you have CCW, unloading and storing in a car safe prevents even the most over officious DA from bringing charges.
Old 06-20-2013, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

I use the NV100. They are in my center consoles tethered to the seat frame. It's not real obvious they are there. If a thief doesn't have tools (eg: a smash and grab), it would be hard to defeat. With basic tools, it can be broken into in <5 seconds.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 PM

every portable security device is "useless" by any "determined" crook.

with that said, as with any equipment, know the limitations of your specific item and work within those limitation.

would i consider leaving my gun in a container inside my car for a "long" time or overnight? no. but would one of those safe be "good enough" if im parked somewhere relatively safe, safe bolted to car and hidden from plain view, and all i need is to leave behind my gun for an hour or so? absolutely, it is a good option.

no single product is perfect, gotta work within their limitations.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-MV500...ords=gun+vault
I use this one. Has a metal cord you can put around the frame of the seat so if someone does break in and try to take off with it they'll have to cut the thick wire first. I also use it for my CCW pistol that I carry every day. It's easy and small enough for on your night stand. I do have to say I only use the key as the combo lock seems to mess up a lot. It could just be me not remembering the combo.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM

I have the NV100, works great for me. I don't use it often but it's great for those times when you have to leave it in your car for an hour or so.
Old 06-21-2013, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
In car gun safes are not useless. Thieves have a clock ticking that demands they get stuff done sooner than later, even if they are stealing the whole ride. Also, even if you have CCW, unloading and storing in a car safe prevents even the most over officious DA from bringing charges.
Not too long ago, some nitwit in New England sued a gun owner whose weapon was stolen out of their home. The gun was later used in a crime, precipitating the wrongful death suit.

As far as the time aspect goes, I'll put it like this: it only takes seconds to get into a car, maybe a few minutes if you want to avoid breaking stuff.
Back when I lived in Chicago I phoned in my roadside assistance company for a lockout, and when the locksmith guys showed up they got into my car quicker then it took to type that sentence.

30 seconds after they showed up, I was in my car. Remember-these guys were working with me standing right next to them, so if they were in a rush I've little doubt they'd be in and gone inside of 10 seconds . Note that a smart scumbag won't search the car right then and there, they'll drive it to a hideout and then tear it down at their leisure.

Leaving a gun in a car, lockbox or no, is just slightly better then leaving it on the street in plain sight.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 06-21-2013, 9:11 PM

What kinda gun? The Club can hardly hold a 3 inch revolver.
iF it'S nOt an aCt of goD, iT's a ConSpirAcy. If it can be measured, it can be optimized.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Chris Hitchens
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Leaving a gun in a car, lockbox or no, is just slightly better then leaving it on the street in plain sight.
^This.^
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

I think the point is being missed here. Most people who buy safes for the car are not getting them to prevent theft of the gun/safe from the vehicle. I believe that is futile. They could just keep the gun with them. They are buying them to be legal in the carrying of the weapon, thus avoiding arrest if checked by the man, when they have no CCW. i.e., gun is in a locked container, etc.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 PM

I would make sure its absolutely out of sight from any windows
Old 06-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Fort Knox

― John Adams
Old 06-22-2013, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

i use something simialr to gun vault. it does what it is supposed to do. make it a bit tougher for a smash and grab auto dirtbag thief ..or a cop. When i drink..and my wife drives i put my pistol in the safe.

when i have to run into the post office...gun goes into safe. Thats really the only times. Im not leaving my gun in a car for long periods of times out of my eye sight.

Kind of briongs me back to our trip to disneyland...bulsheit they wont let us commoners non leo's use their on property lockers
Old 06-22-2013, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveca View Post
I think the point is being missed here. Most people who buy safes for the car are not getting them to prevent theft of the gun/safe from the vehicle. I believe that is futile. They could just keep the gun with them. They are buying them to be legal in the carrying of the weapon, thus avoiding arrest if checked by the man, when they have no CCW. i.e., gun is in a locked container, etc.
In that event , the gun may as well stay at home .

I carry concealed everywhere I go, with a loaded handgun carried hammer down, safety off, and holstered on my person as I'm driving. Despite that fact, its very possible a scumbag could get the drop on me.

If I might not have enough time to draw with a loaded pistol already on my person ,there's no way a locked and unloaded handgun is any use defensively to its owner. That's why the law was written that way.

A locked and unloaded handgun in the vehicle may as well be on the moon , defensively speaking. It also sets one up for legal problems down the road; doubtlessly some lowlife liberal attorney will observe that in the time it took someone to unlock a case, load a weapon, and shoot, that same person could have just driven away!

Old 06-24-2013, 6:12 AM

Seen this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-AS-2020-...titan+gun+safe

It is also set up so that you can keep the mag locked next to it in the same safe, and its nice and legal.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:23 AM

I've been looking at various options for when I need to temporarily store my CCW. Been looking at LockState SafeCase Biometric Safe LS-SC1000.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/lock-sta...tric-safe.html
Old 06-24-2013, 1:09 PM

Biometrics and electric buttons I have heard nothing but bad things about, including the video of the four year old cracking the safe. Stick with Fort Knox, V-Line, Titan, or even shotlock, you just cant beat Simplex locks. But you must remember to bolt or chain the unit down,I wouldnt trust those cheapo thin cables either.
Old 07-07-2013, 2:00 PM

Default Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanchevy View Post
Biometrics and electric buttons I have heard nothing but bad things about, including the video of the four year old cracking the safe. Stick with Fort Knox, V-Line, Titan, or even shotlock, you just cant beat Simplex locks. But you must remember to bolt or chain the unit down,I wouldnt trust those cheapo thin cables either.
Any truth that the simplex locks can be opened with a rare earth magnet? Seen an article recently about it and was curious if this is still the situation.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Gun vault is pretty weak. Unfortunately a simple screw driver can break it open. A robber that used tools to break into your car most likely have some kind of tool to pry.

I dropped my gun vault once and it broke...... My smart phone with glass on both side is stronger than the gun vault IMHO
Old 07-15-2013, 5:19 PM

I have a StackOn. It'll do the job for me. The only time I'll use it is at a place I'm prohibited from carrying...and I won't be in that place long...out of my holster, in the box, take care of business, back in my holster. I'd think long about what I'd use if the safe was what I had to keep the gun in all day.
Old 07-15-2013, 6:29 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Bound View Post
Any truth that the simplex locks can be opened with a rare earth magnet? Seen an article recently about it and was curious if this is still the situation.
Seems to be accurate for door locks; haven't seen where Kaba has settled the 2011 lawsuit.

Don't know if the same access method works for other than door locks.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.