Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-14-2012, 8:39 PM
Banned

Default AR acquired while an LEO, now what?

Hi folks, I'm not an LEO but my awesome wife is. I've got my bullet-buttoned AR and my ten rounders but we are thinking of buying some more toys. We are thinking about AR without a bullet button or an FN SCAR to name a couple. Because of her LEO status she can legally buy these, obviously.

But what if she decides to change careers and is no longer an LEO? Librarian suggested I ask you fine officers as you might have the answer handy. Would we have to get rid of the rifles if she is no longer an LEO? Or would it be a matter of simply installing bullet buttons?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2012, 9:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

She can only buy it if her department authorizes it. More and more departments are no longer authorizing private purchases because of Jerry Brown's ruling when he was AG stating that the authorization ends when the LEO status ends.
See this thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...assault+weapon

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
Old 11-14-2012, 9:30 PM

She can still (for now) keep it. Browns "opinion" that the weapon must be surrendered when LE status ends is just that, opinion, not law. The weapon when purchased, becomes a legally owned RAW. Until the Penal Code exemption section is changed, nothing changes when one is no longer LEO.
Old 11-14-2012, 9:19 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

When an LE retires from a California job, They're supposed to take their Calpers And assault weapons to Idaho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
When an LE retires from a California job, They're supposed to take their Calpers And assault weapons to Idaho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Best post I've seen in a while (I'll be going to New England though).
Old 11-15-2012, 6:23 AM

As Turnkey says, there is no law, just the former AG's opinion. Right now there is a Porac sponsored bill to let retired LEO's keep one and only one registered assault weapon that was previously purchased for duty use.

Which brings up another point. As stated above, your agency must allow it. The letter require for purchase and registration states that the rifle shall be used for duty. It is different than the LEO in good standing letter required to waive the 10 days on a non AW purchase.
Old 11-15-2012, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineralogy Mike View Post
Hi folks, I'm not an LEO but my awesome wife is. I've got my bullet-buttoned AR and my ten rounders but we are thinking of buying some more toys. We are thinking about AR without a bullet button or an FN SCAR to name a couple. Because of her LEO status she can legally buy these, obviously.

But what if she decides to change careers and is no longer an LEO? Librarian suggested I ask you fine officers as you might have the answer handy. Would we have to get rid of the rifles if she is no longer an LEO? Or would it be a matter of simply installing bullet buttons?

Thanks guys!
Per the LEOSA 2004, a peace officer (not retired or suspended) can own an assault weapon. What the LEOSA is not clear on, is whether or not you must have written approval from your department. I read LEOSA 2004 and I did not find anything in there about requiring written approval of your department. So, I am not certain. I had a recent conversation with one of our weapons training guys and he said that you need to have written authorization from your department in order to be compliant with the LEOSA. I hear there are some test cases going on though.

A peace officer can buy 30 round mags all day long, but once she uses a 30 round mag, it becomes an assault weapon.

There are bullet buttons out there that will convert to a standard magazine release with a few turns of the screw. Here is an example of one: http://www.riflegear.com/p-470-raddl...zine-lock.aspx

My suggestion would be to make sure the rifle is CA legal if you go to the range. Some LEO's keep 30 round mags around in case P00P hits the fan.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-16-2012, 3:38 PM

Most of this info is accurate. You need a letter from your agency. Some agencies give them out others do not. I also know that you get another letter from DOJ/ATF that indicates once you retire or leave LE that you can no longer possess your assault weapon in Cali and must surrender it. Co-worker has a friend from a small agency that received such letter recently after his purchase. Maybe it is a new practice they are using even though "technically" as indicated it is not current law.
Old 11-17-2012, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
Per the LEOSA 2004, a peace officer (not retired or suspended) can own an assault weapon. What the LEOSA is not clear on, is whether or not you must have written approval from your department. I read LEOSA 2004 and I did not find anything in there about requiring written approval of your department. So, I am not certain. I had a recent conversation with one of our weapons training guys and he said that you need to have written authorization from your department in order to be compliant with the LEOSA. I hear there are some test cases going on though.

LEOSA has nothing to do with officers purchasing/owning AWs.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
LEOSA has nothing to do with officers purchasing/owning AWs.
I bring my SBR AR into Cali all the time under LEOSA......

ETA: federally you are fine, state wise... Maybe not..... Just gotta roll those dice and maybe be the test case.

Last edited by hitman13; 11-17-2012 at 3:12 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman13 View Post

ETA: federally you are fine, state wise... Maybe not..... Just gotta roll those dice and maybe be the test case.
And it still has nothing to do with officers purchasing/owning AW's.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
And it still has nothing to do with officers purchasing/owning AW's.
What you consider an AW, the rest of America simply calls firearms. LEOSA states that owning it would be fine, as long as the person in possession is covered by LEOSA.... IIRC this is the same type of situation that they tried to hang Drew Peterson on, unsuccessfully. Now, that may not be binding case law or anything, but it is the only case that I am currently aware of.

Unless you want to civilly discuss why I am wrong, which I may be..
Old 11-18-2012, 11:53 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman13 View Post
is that a personally-owned SBR or dept-owned? If personally-owned, what do you do about the 5320.20 requirements. Do you file the .20 and refer to LEOSA-exemption instead of needing the DW permit? Or does the LEOSA exempt you from even needing a .20?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-18-2012, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
is that a personally-owned SBR or dept-owned? If personally-owned, what do you do about the 5320.20 requirements. Do you file the .20 and refer to LEOSA-exemption instead of needing the DW permit? Or does the LEOSA exempt you from even needing a .20?
It's personally owned. ATF doesn't care about CA laws, they issue it no questions asked and no LEOSA related explanation given.

Last edited by hitman13; 11-18-2012 at 2:16 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 7:20 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Because of her LEO status she can legally buy these, obviously.
Not, obviously.

Peace officers cannot just buy RAW's because of their job title. With a Chief's letter you can buy a specific authorized duty gun. Without it, you follow the same rules as everyone else.

The only real exemption LEO's automatically get is hi-cap mags and non rostered handguns. I have been a full time LEO for 12+ years in California, and all of my EBR's are configured in a manner in which anybody could possess them legally. I just happen to run everything featureless, which is the next best thing to a RAW in California.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Not, obviously.

Peace officers cannot just buy RAW's because of their job title. With a Chief's letter you can buy a specific authorized duty gun. Without it, you follow the same rules as everyone else.

The only real exemption LEO's automatically get is hi-cap mags and non rostered handguns. I have been a full time LEO for 12+ years in California, and all of my EBR's are configured in a manner in which anybody could possess them legally. I just happen to run everything featureless, which is the next best thing to a RAW in California.

You are incorrect. With a letter specifying which weapon, LE can buy and legally possess assault weapon(s) that do not require buttons or mag restrictions. May be used for on duty depending on agency guidelines or off duty for personal use. I know a number of small agencies that give their officers letters.

Now the questions arises as to what happens when you retire or leave LE. As of now, I have been told that DOJ/ATF sends you documentation which indicates that you can not legally possess the weapon after you retire, etc...I am not sure how they are enforcing this at this time and how they know when you retire.
Old 11-18-2012, 1:13 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
You are incorrect. With a letter specifying which weapon, LE can buy and legally possess assault weapon(s) that do not require buttons or mag restrictions. May be used for on duty depending on agency guidelines or off duty for personal use. I know a number of small agencies that give their officers letters.

Now the questions arises as to what happens when you retire or leave LE. As of now, I have been told that DOJ/ATF sends you documentation which indicates that you can not legally possess the weapon after you retire, etc...I am not sure how they are enforcing this at this time and how they know when you retire.
That's what I said. Officers CAN buy specific weapons (i.e. AR-15 with evil features and standard cap mags) as stipulated in letters from their Chief. The officer would personally own the weapon and could naturally use it on and off duty.

The OP implied that simply based on being a LEO, a person could purchase a RAW. This is incorrect. It is on a department by department basis. Some agencies issue the letters, some don't.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Ok, I must have misinterpreted your post. What you are stating above is correct to my knowledge also.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Purchasing you are on your own, but anyone can get a stripped lower.

DISCLAIMER: ANY POSTS I HAVE MADE IN THIS TREAD IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION AND EXPERIENCES.
Old 11-17-2012, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

And now I see where you are coming from too
Old 11-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I pay 100% for my CalPERS and will take it where ever I want. And Nevada sounds better than Idaho.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Really? You pay the employer's contribution too?
Old 11-18-2012, 3:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really? You pay the employer's contribution too?
Yes. Some police and fire agencies have their employees pay 100%,
Old 11-18-2012, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

which one please?
Old 11-18-2012, 4:05 PM
Banned

By memory only- FDs paying 100% of PERS- Alameda County and Apple Valley.
Old 11-18-2012, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

I think you're confused. Many PERS agencies now have their employees pay 100% (usually the full 9% employee share) of the employee's contribution. But I know of no agency where the employee pays the agency's entire contribution as well. Here's Alameda for you:

http://www.acgov.org/hrs/documents/I...un_30_2015.pdf
Old 11-18-2012, 7:29 PM
Banned

No, I am NOT confused. I know the entire contract very well and am one of the employees that pays the entire amount.

ADD- The ALCo employees are NOT in the County PERS system, they are in CalPERS.
Old 11-18-2012, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhracing View Post
No, I am NOT confused. I know the entire contract very well and am one of the employees that pays the entire amount.

ADD- The ALCo employees are NOT in the County PERS system, they are in CalPERS.
I guess I'll reply to your PM...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the info, guys.

I thought the deal was she could pretty much buy anything she wanted (machine guns and Wile E. Coyote TNT excepted) simply because she was a police officer. I didn't know her agency would have to give her a letter for purchasing firearms, I thought it was automatic with her LE id. And I don't know how easily she can get a letter, we've never asked!
Old 11-19-2012, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, guys.

I didn't know her agency would have to give her a letter for purchasing firearms, I thought it was automatic with her LE id. And I don't know how easily she can get a letter, we've never asked!
Just to clarify, the letter is needed for AWs, and to bypass a 10 day wait, but not such things as purchasing non-roster handguns, normal mags, etc.