Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Discussions of Faith
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2016, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

Hope Lives On

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13, ESV).
What happens when life doesn’t go the way you want?

Your answer will tell you where your hope lies—where it’s truly anchored.There are all kinds of smaller things we can try to put our hope in, but the greatest hope available to every Christian is the return of Jesus Christ. One day “the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 4:16–18). Every question will be answered. Every wrong will be righted. And we who’ve been redeemed by grace through faith will reign with Him for all eternity.

There’s a lifetime’s worth of hope in that. Not because it’s nice to think about in a sweetly spiritual way or because it makes for a good pep talk from the pulpit on Sunday morning, but because Jesus is actually, literally coming back again. This is really going to happen! Our hope is founded in a sure and settled place if this is where we’ve anchored it.

Sadly, however, each of us also deals with a lifetime of hardships and disappointments that can cause us to lose all hope if we’re not thinking like a believer. These ordeals run the gamut from family crises to financial worries, health scares, and everything in between—including perhaps the most earth-shattering of all: the death of a close loved one.

But while any of these adversities can cause anguish and pain of soul—and probably none so intensely as the separation and loss of death—each of them represents in its own way an example of life not going the way we wanted. We’re not happy with this new jolt or change of direction. We expected something better. This is not how we’d planned for things to go.

But our reactions to these kinds of occurrences do more than just test our mettle; they reveal where we’ve placed our hope. They tell us if our hope depends on a list of conditions that simply must be met or else we can’t go on any longer, or if we’re truly looking forward to the second coming of Christ more than to anything else in our lives. Our response to seeing things taken away from us will tell the truth about our own heart condition.

To experience waves of grief following the blunt-force traumas of life is normal, understandable, and even healthy. But ongoing despair denies the hope of Christ’s return. Even if you’re dealing with concern over a spouse, child, or parent whose faith in Christ is in question, your hope stays the same. Yes, work and pray for their salvation. Love and lead your family well. But remember whose you are, and do not put your hope at risk for anyone. The God who rules and owns the universe has given you good reason to endure any challenge of life, no matter how upsetting, demanding, painful, or impossible to understand.

The great, unshakable hope of every Christian is the ever-nearer return of Jesus Christ. Anchor your hope there, believer. He is coming soon!

JOURNAL

Is there anything that could happen in your life that would leave you feeling utterly hopeless? Something that would just be too hard to let go of?
What have you consistently noticed about believers who won’t let anything steal their hope?

PRAY

Lord God, thank You for enabling me to trust You with every occurrence in life, even those that feel beyond my ability to endure. Thank You that You don’t merely soften the blow with platitudes, but You infuse my hurting heart with the rock-solid assurances of Your truth, mercy, and control over every event that touches me. Help me place my hope where Your Word tells me to place it—in You and Your promise of an abundant future with You forever. In Jesus’ name, amen.
(John 20:31)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

"Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest,
so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience."
- Hebrews 4:11

Learn:"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-29)

There is a concern that while the church today has access, and the ability to, acquire a great deal of knowledge of God, few truly know God and have experienced the life of intimate fellowship and communion that He offers, and which comes through faith and obedience. Many believers rest content in the outer courts of fellowship, finding comfort in their conversion, but miss the blessing of entering into the Holiest of all and allowing Christ to have full possession of the inner life where there is perfect peace and rest. Jesus opened the way for the children of God to have access to the Father, to experience the fullness of the heavenly life, and enter into the rest of God. "After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven" (Hebrews 1:3b). May we seek this year to lay hold of the full blessings that await us when we open our hearts up in adoring worship of Jesus Christ.

Israel experienced freedom from the bonds of slavery in Egypt, but fell short of receiving the full blessing of the promise land because of unbelief (Numbers 13-14). During their wilderness experience, God gave to Israel a pattern of rest and work that would be a sign of their covenant relationship with Him. "You must observe My Sabbaths. This will be a sign between Me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the LORD, who makes you holy...For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD..." (Exodus 31:13, 15a). In preparation for their taking possession of the promised land Israel would learn, in the rhythm of daily life, that their rest was found in God alone, ultimately pointing to the One who would come and provide true salvation and security. Moses led them to follow the pattern God had given them, but Joshua would lead them in to the fullness of the promise. As we look ahead to this Year of the Sabbath, let us fix our eyes on Jesus - our Joshua - the One who has entered into the heavenly sanctuary and opened the way for us to come in contact with God and experience true knowledge of God in the depths of our hearts. Let us enter our prayer closet and turn off all the noise that seeks to distract us, and open our hearts to learn and receive from the Eternal, Immutable One, whose throne will last for ever and ever (v.8), who will remain the same, and whose years will never end (v.12).

"The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you,
and I will give you rest."
(Exodus 33:14)
and that by believing you may have life in His name."
Old 01-05-2017, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

Learn: "For if the message spoken by angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, how shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation?" (Hebrews 2:2, 3a)

Jesus became one with us and tasted death for us, so that we would become partakers of the divine life. Through His sufferings and death He opened up a new and living way for us to enter into God's presence and favor (Hebrews 10:20). It was through His humanity and humiliation that Jesus brought us rest. How can we now neglect the salvation that has restored to us fellowship with God? Jesus became one of us so that we could become one with Him, and be transformed into His image. "I have made You known to them, and will continue to make You known in order that the love You have for Me may be in them and that I Myself may be in them" (John 17:26). The life Jesus lived on earth, as one who walked on earth while living the heavenly life, is entirely possible for those who believe. We simply need to give greater heed to Christ being all and doing all in us. He has done what we cannot do, and He alone can accomplish what needs to be done in and through our lives to bring us back to God and to be completely possessed by Him.

Let us learn from the suffering and humiliation of Jesus as the path that leads to power and glory. Let us accept and rest upon His salvation and humbly yield to His guidance to do His perfecting work in us. "For this reason He had to be made like His brothers in every way, in order hat He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that He might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted" (Hebrews 2:17-18). Let us turn from our own imperfections and feebleness, and instead see, as our heavenly Father does, the perfection and beauty of His Son, Jesus Christ, seated on the throne in the position of authority and power. May we see in Him all that we need and give up all else to experience more of His presence and love and joy and power in the year ahead. "Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!" (Philippians 4:1).

"In bringing many sons to glory it was fitting that God,
for whom and through whom everything exists,
should make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering."
(Hebrews 2:10)
__________________________________________________ _________________
Old 01-06-2017, 1:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

Learn: "We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first." (Hebrews 3:14)

Jesus came and lived the heavenly life to make God known to us, and today He lives in heaven to usher those who believe into the presence of God. He is faithful in all that He is and does, and He calls us to hold on to our courage and hope, so that we will not fall away. Many, whose hearts were once on fire with love for the Lord, have wandered away from the flame of holy love, because of tribulation and temptation, and their hearts have cooled. Jesus warned that in the end times "because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm will be saved" (Matthew 24:12-13). The powers of the flesh, the devil and the world are strong, and work vigilantly against us to rob us of the heavenly life, but "the One who is in us is greater than the one who is in the world" (1 John 4:4b). We have all the strength and power at our disposal to stand and to conquer and to experience a life of victory, if we will only allow the Lord to have complete control over our entire being. "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us" (Romans 8:37).

Let us therefore draw near to God, and fix our hearts on Jesus, and listen to Him and learn from Him. He calls us "Today" to take a stand and to encourage the other members of His body daily. We are one body, and Christ is our Head. The health of every member is vital to the health of the entire body. Let us not put off tomorrow what we are commanded to do today. Procrastination is the way of the enemy and the world. The hour is urgent and we must be intentional about guarding our hearts from growing cold and hard. May our hearts be fully yielded to the Lord, as Son over God's house, that He may come in and live His life out in us. This calls for the habit of daily surrender as we open our hearts to receive more of Christ. May we rest each day in the faithfulness of our Lord as He brings us closer to the very heart of God. "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of Your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:3-6).

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful,
unbelieving heart that turns from the living God.
But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today,
so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."
(Hebrews 3:12-13)
Old 01-07-2017, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

Learn: "Therefore, since the promise of entering His rest still stand, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it." (Hebrews 4:1)

Jesus has opened the door for us to experience the rest of God, but unbelief will close the door of the heart and prevent one from entering into His love. How diligent and vigilant we must be to "make every effort" to enter God's sabbath-salvation-rest by faith. It is only the heart of faith that gains entrance into His rest. "This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, 'We will not walk in it' " (Jeremiah 6:16).

God calls us to a life of total consecration and surrender. The rest God calls us to enter is not our rest but His rest. He invites us to share in His finished work. When we enter His rest by faith we allow God to be all and to do all for us and in us. We cease from our work and Christ lives in us and works in us. The Holy Spirit within us brings to us the heavenly life. There is a higher work the Lord wants to do in us, if we will only yield ourselves in full surrender to His inner working in our life. "For the eyes of the LORD range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him" (2 Chronicles 16:9a). This is a season to progress in our spiritual life, if we are willing to enter into the rest of God through faith and give ourselves completely over for Christ to be all. Let us keep our hearts open by faith so we can take full possession of His promise and enter the rest He has prepared for us. "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it" (Isaiah 30:15).

"For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did;
but the message they heard was of no value to them,
because those who heard did not combine it with faith."
(Hebrews 4:2)
Old 01-09-2017, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

Learn: "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)

Our season in the Sanctuary is meant to draw us nearer to God, so we can experience the spiritual reality of living in fellowship and rest in the Lord all day long and all year long. There is a higher level of life and blessing available to the believer who is willing to press in to the throne of grace in prayer and go behind the veil to discover the fullness of the divine life our High Priest has opened up for us. We tend to rush into the presence of God in prayer, running through our list of external, physical and fleshly needs (focusing on health, finances, relationships), while failing to tarry in His presence to experience the joy and peace found in fellowship and communion with Him; that which He delights most to make us partakers of. "From the fullness of His grace we have all received one blessing after another" (John 1:16).

We miss out on a life of blessing and power, because we spend so little time in the throne room, taking the time to listen to the Lord, rather then expecting Him to listen to us. We may come to God to receive mercy and find grace in our time of need, but we fail to recognize how truly needy we are for the things our High Priest has opened up for us and given us access to. If we did, our utmost desire would be to dwell in His presence. Sadly, we miss out on the greater spiritual treasures at our disposal, because our present needs are far more pressing, and we give no time to truly press in to Jesus and lay hold of all that He is and has for us. We have a sympathetic and gentle high priest who wants us to truly have trust and confidence in Him, not just to meet our needs, but to take us into the very presence of God to experience the fullness of His life and power. For our High Priest, the path to God was the path of obedience, and it was paved with suffering. "Although He was a son, He learned obedience from what He suffered" (Hebrews 5:8). May we draw nearer to the One who has walked that difficult path and paved the way of victory for us. And may we find along the way more of what we most desperately need - Jesus! "...until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you
with power through His Spirit in your inner being,
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
may have power together with all the saints,
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may
be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
(Ephesians 3:16-19)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

Solid Food for the Mature

"But solid food is for the mature,
who by constant use have trained themselves
to distinguish good from evil."
~ Hebrews 5:14

We've come to the end of our first week in our journey to enter the holiest of all and experience the rest of God in His sanctuary. In the first few chapters of Hebrews we have seen God in His humanity, taking on our human flesh and revealing Himself as a God of compassion, sympathy, and kindness; learning obedience through His suffering. And in His divinity, with His ascension to the throne of heaven as the crowning revelation of who His is and what He has done for us; removing the hindrances out of our way so He can lead us into perfect fellowship and loving communion with the Father. These first few steps of our journey lay an important foundation that will lead us on to higher teaching and the deeper truths of God's Word as revealed in the Book of Hebrews, and the rich spiritual blessings available to those who desire to progress in their Christian walk and go on to the perfection made available to us in the inner sanctuary.

Today, more than ever, it is vital for the believer to understand and experience what it means to live the surrendered life of rest in God, and to take authority in prayer; fervent, effectual prayer that lays hold of the wisdom and power of God and wars victoriously in the heavenly realms. We must be better prepared and equipped to take our stand against the forces of evil in this world (Ephesians 6:10-18). The invisible battle for the heart, mind and soul of mankind wages on internally, while visible warfare from external threats like Islam and the post-modern culture, which seeks to eliminate all traces of God from society, is relentless in its attacks, and directed at hindering the true pilgrim from advancing along the path towards perfection. We must not settle for the lower stages of the Christian life, nor stagnate in our progress towards the heavenly life. If we truly desire to experience the fullness of the abundant life found in Christ, and long to see the purposes of God accomplished and His kingdom advanced in this world, then we must be more intentional in our pursuit of the knowledge of the heavenly priesthood of Jesus Christ and the heavenly life He brings into our hearts. As we read and meditate on the words of Hebrews 5:11-14 today, may we find, in these first 21-days of the New Year, our hearts awakened to hunger for the deeper truths of God's Word and to thirst for more fellowship and communion with the the Lord. May it be our aim this year to advance on to maturity, to a life of obedience and holiness, with a heart sensitive to sin, and a will yielded to the purposes of God. "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfect; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus also laid hold of me...I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:12, 14). He is worthy!
Old 01-13-2017, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the Word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting Him to public disgrace." (Hebrews 6:4-6)

There is a difference between the stillness that is found in the ceasing of all effort and loses ground, and the biblical call to "be still" that results in progress in the Christian life (Psalm 46:10). As believers, our progress comes from a deep longing and desire to know more of Jesus Christ; to gain more of the knowledge of the Son, and experience the life He has purchased and prepared for us. "Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God" (Hebrews 6:7). The danger that lurks in our way is in making the mistake of standing still and failing to progress in our walk, and the potential for the "falling away" which robs us of all previous gains.

True progress in the spiritual life is found in a life of perseverance and obedience. We lose ground when we fail to press in day by day into the Word of God, and neglect daily communion and fellowship with the Lord in prayer. To paraphrase one faithful saint, every moment not spent with God is a moment wasted. "We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure" (Hebrews 6:11). With Perfection seated on the throne, waiting and willing to work His life in us, what in the world do we desire that could possibly compare to His beauty and majesty and the power and peace He has to offer us? May we not relax our grip on God for even a moment, but rather seek His strength daily, and remaining spiritually sensitive to the needs of our brothers and sisters who may need help and encouragement in their Christian walk. Let us press on to perfection!

"God is not unjust; He will not forget your work
and the love you have shown Him as you have helped His people
and continue to help them."
(Ephesians 3:16-19)
Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek." (Hebrews 6:19-20)

The heavenly life that the Lord offers believers comes with the promise and hope of rest and security behind the veil of the heavenly sanctuary in the very presence of God. This hope is an anchor for our soul, which keeps us steady and secure in the storms of life and in the midst of the turmoil of this world. Jesus is our safe harbor, in whom we can find great encouragement, as the One who "has become a high priest forever" (v. 20b). He is the immutable, immovable, eternal Rock of our salvation. May we set aside all fear and enter in to the full experience of the heavenly life.

Our high priest has opened the way for us to enter into the inner sanctuary and experience a whole new world of intimacy with God. His priesthood is eternal. He lives forever and invites us to enter in to His presence to rest in His unchanging, everlasting life. The blessings of the kingdom with its righteousness and peace are available to those who long to know Him and love Him more. May He bless and keep us, as He shines His face upon us, lifting His countenance upon us and bringing peace into our hearts (Numbers 6:23-26).

"First, his name means "king of righteousness";
then also, "king of Salem" means "king of peace."
Without father or mother, without genealogy,
without beginning of days or end of life,
like the Son of God he remains a priest forever."
(Hebrews 7:2b-3)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "But because Jesus lives forever, He has a permanent priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them." (Hebrews 7:24-25)

One of the great weaknesses of the law was that it made no provision for the people of God to enter into the presence of God. Only the high priest was allowed to enter in behind the curtain, and only once a year. All the work of the Levitical priesthood was external, but the work of our Great High Priest opened a new and heavenly way for His people to not only enter into the presence of God, but also for Him to enter in and live His life in the hearts and lives of His people. And because "He always lives to intercede" He is able to maintain and perform the work He has promised to do in and through our lives. His work of intercession never ceases, and it will never fail. He is a faithful High Priest-King. Let us therefore enter in through the living way Christ Jesus has opened for us and abide in His presence as He intercedes for us. Someone once said we are to pray always, and if necessary, use words. May we be silent as we allow our great Intercessor to do His higher, heavenly work in our lives.

Let us not just rest in the promise of eternal life, and so miss out on living a life of power, victory, and impact today, but let us go on to experience the fullness of the abundant life our heavenly Priest-King has purchased for us and wants to impart to us. Let us surrender the pursuits of this earthly life this year to be free to lay hold of the heavenly life. May it be our greatest desire and prayer to experience all that God has for us. May all the blessing and power of heaven come not only to us, but also to the people around us as we allow our living Lord to have complete possession of our lives, so He can live His higher, holier, life of power and victory in and through us. Each step of our journey these 21 days is to simply be a reminder of the way to achieve the heavenly life - one day at a time, one satisfying, sustaining, spiritual meal at a time - moment by moment seeking the presence of God and daily surrendering to His greater work in our lives. The work He accomplishes in and through our lives is dependent upon how yielded and willing we are to let Him have His way with us. May our time of prayer and fasting provide the channel for His blessing to flow through!

"Your troops will be willing on your day of battle.
Arrayed in holy majesty, from the womb of the dawn
you will receive the dew of your youth.
The LORD has sworn and will not change His mind:
"You are a priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek."
(Psalm 110:3-4)
Old 01-20-2017, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still standing." (Hebrews 9:8)

As long as the veil between the Holy Place and the Most Holy Place was hanging, the way into the presence of God was not opened for man to enter in and enjoy fellowship with holy God. Once a year the high priest was given a tiny taste of God's presence, and was painfully reminded of the fellowship that was lost in the garden and the impossibility for restoration so long as the veil of sin stood between them. As those who have tasted the joy of fellowship with God, having entered behind the veil, let us pray for those who have not yet discovered the inner chamber of communion, and let us keep ourselves empty and free from self and the flesh which rises up to become a veil blocking the blessings of God.

When Jesus died on the cross, the veil in the temple was torn in two from top to bottom (Mark 15:38), and the way was opened for man to enter into the presence of holy God without the ministry of the Levitical priesthood. When our Savior ascended to the heavenly sanctuary and took His position on the throne as our great High Priest-King, the Holy Spirit came out of the Holy of Holies and came upon man with power at Pentecost, and a new ministry began within the hearts of man (Acts 2:1-4). Let us take a moment to bask in the revelation of the new and living way that has been opened for us to enter behind the veil and experience the presence and power of God through the death of Christ, His ascension to the throne, and the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit. May we surrender each and every day to the inner working of the Holy Spirit to make us a fit habitation for the presence of God. "You have made known to me the path of life; You will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasures at Your right hand." (Psalm 16:11)

"This is an illustration for the present time,
indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered
were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper."
(Hebrews 9:9)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance - now that He has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant." (Hebrews 9:15)

The blood of Christ is full of life and power. His blood atoned for our sin and opened the way for us to be restored to fellowship with the Father. One day we, who have believed, will dwell in heaven for all eternity, but until then there is a blessed state - the heavenly-life - that is available to us today. It is our Mediator's purpose for His people to live the abiding life and to enjoy the fullness of the blessings of the heavenly sanctuary. It is the life of Christ before the throne as our great High Priest-King which opens the way for us to experience all the life and power and favor of dwelling in the presence of God.

Without the death of Christ, His covenant ("will") would not be in effect. In a last will and testament a persons property is left to another. Jesus left for us an eternal inheritance. We are the beneficiaries of the New Covenant or New Testament. Without His death we could not be partakers of the heavenly life; and because He lives (and lives within us!) we are now heirs of the divine life. His blood has power to save and to give us access into a life of blessedness: in fellowship and nearness to God. May we realize the riches of the heavenly storehouse that have been opened and made available to us because of the blood of Christ, the blood which has purified heaven itself (v. 23). May our Mediator perfect in us His work through the power of His blood, cleansing and purifying us and transforming us into vessels fit for His service. Let us take time in prayer today to lay hold of His heavenly blessings for the people around us, and in so doing bring the atmosphere of heaven to the earth.

"In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death
of the one who made it, because a will is in force only when
somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living.
This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood."
(Hebrews 9:16-18)
Old 01-24-2017, 1:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

The True Sanctuary

"The point of what we are saying is this:
We do have such a high priest,
who sat down at the right hand of the throne
of the Majesty in heaven, and who serves in the sanctuary,
the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by man."
~ Hebrews 8:1-2

Our time in the Sanctuary with the Lord this past week has revealed in greater detail the excellency of our Great High Priest, His priesthood, as Minister and Mediator of the sanctuary of heaven, and the better covenant which He has provided. He showed us the weakness of the old covenant, with its lack of provision to achieve spiritual perfection and maintain continuous fellowship with God; and reminded us that, by His blood, the way into the Holiest of All was opened up and the veil removed, so that the light of His perfection could come forth and penetrate our hearts and lives through the power of His Holy Spirit, enabling us to "serve the living God" (Hebrews 9:14). The superiority of the priesthood of Jesus Christ is based on "the power of an endless life"; and the weakness of the former regulation was set aside and a "better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God" (Hebrews 7:19). The law could only make us aware of our need for something better - a life of continual, intimate communion with God - which the new covenant provided in the perfect priesthood of Jesus Christ, who opened the way for us to obtain direct access to God. Everything was just shadows and copies of the perfect revelation that Christ would bring as minister of the true sanctuary. May we look to the perfect pattern the Father has provided in His Son, for us to experience the blessings of the heavenly sanctuary in the sanctuary of our heart. "Then have them make a sanctuary for Me, and I will dwell among them. Make this tabernacle and all its furnishings exactly like the pattern I will show you" (Exodus 25:8-9).

As we read and meditate on the words of Hebrews 8:1-6, we find the chief point of all that the writer has purposed to imprint upon our hearts: We have a high priest who is seated on the throne, and who serves in the sanctuary. In the life of Israel, the offices of king and priest were always kept separate, but Zechariah prophesied that the two offices would eventually be united into one person, the promised Messiah. "Here is the man whose name is the Branch, and He will branch out from His place and build the temple of the LORD...And He will be a priest on His throne" (Zechariah 6:12a, 13b). Let this truth sink deep within our hearts: With all our weakness and failure, there is One who sits on the throne in heaven as king, but also as priest, ministering on our behalf. He is the one who will work in us all that He has promised and achieved for us. This is the glorious provision of the new covenant provided through the Minister of the true sanctuary in heaven, who does His priestly work in and through us to bring heaven in to our hearts and enable us to abide continually in the presence of God. May any and all work we set out to do this year begin first with a yielded will and heart to do the will of God, and to allow Him to do His perfecting work in our life. Let us offer a prayer of praise to our perfect King-Priest as we wait on Him to accomplish His perfecting work in our lives.
Old 01-25-2017, 1:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First He says: "This is the covenant I will make with them after that times, says the LORD. I will put My laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds." (Hebrews 10:15-16)

The work of Christ on the cross is a finished work. His body was offered up once for all, and the way into the Holiest of All, the presence of God, has been opened up. Full access into His perfection and rest, and the experience of a life of full-blessedness is now a living reality to those who believe and are willing to abide. It is here that we experience the infinite worth and exceeding power of the one sacrifice for all. "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:10).

It is through the witness of the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit that we experience all the blessing of the heavenly life. He is the witness of the completed work of Christ in the inner life of man. "The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children" (Romans 8:16). When Christ was crucified and the veil in the temple was rent from top to bottom access into the Most Holy Place was given. When Jesus ascended to the throne in heaven the Father sent the Holy Spirit to witness to men's hearts the truth of His atoning work and redeeming grace. The Holy Spirit speaks to the heart of man and confirms the finished work of Christ on the cross and His continuing work as Mediator on the throne in heaven. All is dependent now on our response to the voice of the Holy Spirit. "He who has ears, let him hear" (Matthew 11:15). May our lives be saturated with the holy influence of the Holy Spirit penetrating our hearts with the Word of God calling us to the higher, holier, heavenly life in Christ. "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" (Hebrews 4:7b).

"Then He adds:
"Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more."
And where these have been forgiven,
there is no longer any sacrifice for sin."
(Hebrews 10:17-18)
Old 01-26-2017, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God." (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Throughout our journey in the Sanctuary we have been given several warnings to be on our guard lest we fall away from our First Love. We were exhorted to be aware of neglectfulness, of unbelief and disobedience, and of lethargy and sloth, which put us in danger of backsliding in the faith. There is a great danger of willfully sinning and rejecting the one sacrifice that was given for those whose hearts have never truly been opened to the truth. Many believers begin well in their journey with the Lord, but over time, they lose that original fervor and confidence they once had. Let us ask God to examine our hearts. May we close the door to the world, turning our backs on it completely, and instead walk boldly through the door that has been opened to us through the blood of Christ and into His safe-keeping and watchful care. May we learn to dwell in the sanctuary of the Lord moment by moment, each and every day, enjoying the presence of God and keeping far from sin, and living a life of obedience to His will, so that we will not rob Him of any part of His glory.

As Christians, we are citizens of another world, and because we must live in the present world while longing for the next, we must guard our hearts from the constant pull of this visible world and all that it possesses. Our hearts are to be entirely possessed by God, but we are bombarded daily with worldly temptations that vie for our affections. May we look to our great Mediator of the Covenant and Minister of the True Sanctuary of heaven to help us. May we trust in Him, who through the power of His blood has cleansed our consciences and fitted us for the heavenly life, to take full possession of our lives and live His life of power and holiness in and through us. Let us rest in the love of the Father, and meditate on the infinite worth and immeasurable sacrifice of our Savior, as we bask in the glorious reminder of the riches that are ours in Christ Jesus. "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable His judgments, and His paths beyond tracing out!" (Romans 11:33).

"It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
(Hebrews 10:31)
Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those He loves, and He punishes everyone He accepts as a son." (Hebrews 12:4-6)

One of the marks of a good athlete is discipline; they will do all that is necessary to bring their entire body under submission, so they can achieve their goal of winning the prize. As a result, the path to the victors' crown is marked with pain and suffering. In the race of the Christian life we are exhorted to look to our Victor, Jesus Christ, and all that He has suffered on our behalf, so that we will not grow weary and lose heart. He learned obedience through His suffering (Hebrews 5:8); and endured the cross with joy, because He knew that the hand of God was in it to accomplish His great work.

The path of life is filled with all kinds of trials and tribulations. From carelessness to car accidents, our daily life is filled with frequent and sudden situations that surprise us, and work to discourage us and hinder our spiritual progress. "Endure hardship as discipline" can be a hard pill to swallow when we are facing a difficult trial. Many find it difficult to believe that a good God would allow people to suffer. But we must not forget that while our God is infinitely good, He is also holy; therefore, He "disciplines us for our good that we may share in His holiness" (Hebrews 12:10b). For the believer, suffering is divine chastening, for we are children of God, and He "disciplines those He loves." We are exhorted in our reading to look to the One who has suffered for us and sympathizes with us to teach us how to suffer, so that we can be made partakers of His holiness and experience a life of fellowship with God which brings honor to Him, and helps others to see His light and love through our lives. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4).

"Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons.
For what son is not disciplined by his father?
How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live!"
(Hebrews 12:7, 9b)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven." (Hebrews 12:22-23a)

We are given a beautiful picture of the blessings of life and liberty that are ours as we read of two different mountains: Sinai and Zion. The first represents the old covenant of law, which kept God's people at a distance and brought fear and terror into their hearts; and the second, represents the new covenant, which invites the people of God to come near to Him, allowing God to touch and fill their hearts with His love and life and power. Sinai revealed the weakness of man and human effort, which could never gain entrance into the Holiest of All, the presence of God; while Zion shows forth the power of God by the Holy Spirit who fills us with the spirit of holiness and brings us into fellowship with holy God. "Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD Almighty" (Zechariah 4:6b).

As we rejoice in the way that has been opened to us to come "to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God" (v. 22a), we are also given another warning, reminding us of the greater privileges we have been given in the covenant of grace, and our responsibility now to be careful to heed the voice that comes from the heavenly sanctuary, and not from the top of a mountain. "If they did not escape when they refused Him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from Him who warns us from heaven?" (v.25). Our God is a consuming fire who draws us near the flame of divine love to warm our hearts and to purify our lives, but His holiness is also a fire that will bring the fire of wrath and judgment upon the evil and all those who refuse His Son. May we hear the "better word" that the blood of Christ speaks and heed His call to come close, so He can transform us into His glorious holy image.

"You have come to God, the judge of all men,
to the spirits of righteous men made perfect,
to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant,
and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel."
(Hebrews 12:23b-24)
Old 02-03-2017, 2:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SANCTUARY

LEARN: "Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." (Hebrews 13:7-8)

As we look with anticipation and hopeful expectation of the inauguration of a new season before us, we are exhorted, in our reading today, to remember those who have gone before us (the faithful leaders in the faith), and to remember their faithful stewardship of all that had been entrusted to their care at their particular moment in history (v.7). We are reminded that even though times change and people leave, we have One who never changes, and who will never leave or forsake us. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (v.8). May we look with trustful dependence upon our faithful Mediator and not to any man. But let us pray fervently for those who have been seated in positions of authority, that they will honor God with the sacred trust that has been placed in their hands for a time. May we be willing to take up the torch that has been handed to us, and steward the light of the gospel in a manner worthy of the great name of our Lord and Savior and King, Jesus Christ.

May we remember in the days ahead that we are priests of the Lord, set apart for His service and raised "to royal position for such a time as this" (Esther 4:14b). We have been brought into the Holiest of All to receive His heavenly power and life, so that we can imitate our Great High Priest in His humility, sacrifice and suffering in service to others. May we become an instrument of righteousness to proclaim His glory, and a channel of blessing for others to experience His great love. May our lives be wholly given up to God to be a vessel filled with His fullness and poured out as a drink offering on a dry and weary land, that times of refreshing may come upon our nation to the glory of God and the advancement of His kingdom in this world. "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light...Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us" (1 Peter 2:9, 12).

"Obey your leaders and submit to their authority.
They keep watch over you as men who must give an account.
Obey them so that their work will be a joy,
not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you."
(Hebrews 13:17)
Old 03-11-2017, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Way of Cain
“Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift is like clouds and wind without rain.” (Proverbs 25:14)

Cain initially was a religious man, evidently proud of his achievements as a “tiller of the ground” that God had “cursed” (Genesis 4:2; 3:17). He assumed that God would be much impressed with the beautiful basket of his “fruit of the ground” that he presented as an “offering unto the LORD.” Cain became bitterly angry when God “had not respect” to Cain and his offering (Genesis 4:3-5).

“By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain,” shedding the blood of an innocent lamb in substitution for his own sin and guilt before God, “by which he obtained witness that he was righteous” (Hebrews 11:4). Since “faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:17), Abel was merely obeying God’s Word, but Cain, proud and self-righteous in attitude, was presuming to offer up his own merits in payment for the privilege of coming to God.

This was a “false gift,” however, with no meritorious value at all before God, “like clouds and wind without rain.” The apostle Jude warns against any such presumption, especially now that we can freely come to God through His own perfect “Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). “Woe unto them!” says Jude, “for they have gone in the way of Cain . . . clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots” (Jude 1:11-12). This severe indictment was lodged against all who, like Cain, are superficially religious but who, by their self-righteous resentment against God, are “turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ” (Jude 1:4). We must not boast of our gifts to God, but only of His gift to us. HMM
Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Identity Lies

And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23, ESV).
Who are you?

The world would like to answer that question for you. Let’s debunk five identity lies the culture promotes and the Church too often parrots.

1. “You are unique.”
“You’re a snowflake; there isn’t another one in the world just like you. You are so unique.” While you have unique fingerprints and DNA, the reality is there are a lot of people who have the same talents and abilities you have. Elijah, God’s chosen prophet, was a regular, ordinary guy. “Elijah was a man with a nature like ours” (James 5:17). And there’s freedom in being ordinary
2. “You are your job.”
“Whatever you do—that’s who you are.” Work is an honorable thing. If you work to provide for your family—whether you collect garbage or work on an assembly line or win the Nobel prize—then that’s honorable in the sight of God. But you aren’t your job, nor are you your network (your connections, who you know, who knows you), nor are you your net worth. The world might look at you through that lens, but God isn't impressed by where you work, who you know, or how much you own. Jesus said, “One’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions” (Luke 12:15).

3. “God needs you.”
Who does God need? Nobody! If I won’t do the assignment, then God will find somebody who will, and I’ll miss the blessing. God doesn’t need me! God has an army of ordinary people like me. Remember the triumphal entry scene, when Jesus entered Jerusalem a week before His crucifixion? The people erupted in overflowing praise to Jesus, and the Pharisees tried to silence them. Jesus answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out” (Luke 19:40). If we stopped worshiping, the very creation itself would call out the message that the universe was created to trumpet. God doesn’t need us; we get the privilege of participating with Him.

4. “You have to chase your dreams.”
“Go for the stars! Do something great you’ve always dreamed of!” This is the axe to the base of the tree of an ordinary, faithful life of honoring God. How sad to see God’s people pressured into thinking that if we don’t shake the world or do some massive, extravagant thing, then God will be disappointed with us. False! Right where you are, faithfully honor God. Do the little things. Rather than chasing your dreams, follow your Master. Jesus said, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23).

5. “You are your appearance.”
When the vast majority of us look in the mirror, we don’t really like what we see. We see all our flaws—our weight, our height, our shape, our hair, our features. The world pressures us into the mold of constantly judging people by what we see and judging ourselves by harsh standards. “Do not let your adorning be external,” Peter wrote, “but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious” (1 Peter 3:3a, 4). God looks right past your new hairstyle to your heart.

Out with the lies, in with the truth. Who are you? Let’s listen to God’s answer: “You are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you” (Isaiah 43:4). We are lovely because He loves us—not because of who we are or what we do, but because of who He is and what He has already done.

JOURNAL

Which of these five lies have you been tempted to believe about yourself? How can you see this seeping into your life?
Why is there such freedom in being ordinary servants of an extraordinary God?
PRAY

Father God, forgive me for subconsciously defining myself by the world’s standards. I choose today to listen to Your voice instead. I am ordinary; You are extraordinary. Thank You that You love me, and that’s what makes me lovely. Thank You that You value me, and that’s what makes me valuable. Thank You that You allow me to participate in Your plan. Help me to faithfully walk with You and honor You today, even in the minutiae. In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Give Me One Reason
Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent (Revelation 3:19, ESV).
Do you think of yourself as a liar? Because—even though most of us won’t volunteer to be labeled that way—the fact is that every time in life you’ve committed a sin, you were lying to yourself. And believing every word of it.
And that’s where Satan wants to keep you. Believing lies. Destroying you. Once he’s lured you into sin by using your own fallen logic to deceive you, he wants to push you even farther down that road, away from repentance, and away from resolution. He wants you believing the idea that once you’ve sinned, taking responsibility for what you’ve done is totally unnecessary, unreasonable, and uncalled for.

But that’s not what the Bible says. That’s not what the truth says. That’s not what the Spirit of God says, who wants to rush to you and release you from the sin that has held you.

So before you start leaning toward believing any more faulty rationales, lean in for a moment toward some of the many good reasons that repentance makes all the sense in the world.

1) Because God is pursuing you. You wouldn’t be here reading this today if God in His providence hadn’t wanted to use it as a way to steer you back to His side where you belong. “God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance” (Romans 2:4). And if He’s going to such lengths to take you there, shouldn’t you stop resisting Him?

2) Because God is speaking to you through people. God’s Word is living and powerful enough that, regardless of the messenger, its message can always strike a chord. “Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool” (Isaiah 1:18). Listen to what you’re hearing, and don’t discount the fact that you’re hearing it.

3) Because you know you are prone to being blindly self-righteous. Trust me, I know—from times when I thought I was so right. Every hour you spend blaming someone else, making a case about how you have nothing to apologize for, will only end in grief and misery. Jesus warned the self-righteous Pharisees not to say, “We see,” because merely saying the words confirmed “your guilt remains” (John 9:41). Repentance is the right answer, especially when you’re fixated on asking the wrong questions.

4) Because you know there is no excuse for disobeying God. “If I had not come and spoken to them,” Jesus said, “they would not have been guilty of sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin” (John 15:22). Despite every rationale, there is never a defense for the things we do in opposition to God’s Word. Save your breath, and stop living the life He’s already saved you from.

5) Because you know the consequences of your sin will be painful. “Be sure your sin will find you out” (Numbers 32:23). It always does. It always will. God in His mercy may hold back the consequences for a while, but they are piling up and will eventually come pouring in. Only repentance can break that dam and move you forward toward cleanup. “Repent and turn from all your transgressions, lest iniquity be your ruin” (Ezekiel 18:30).

Hear the good sense in these sentences: “I have no one to blame but myself. Nothing that anyone did justifies my own failure. I take total responsibility.”

Let’s stop listening to our own excuses and believing our own lies. And let’s start recounting the many good reasons to repent.

JOURNAL

Think of an area where you’re prone to temptation. What lie fuels the choice to sin, and what truth illuminates the reason to choose righteousness?
When was the last time you genuinely repented? Commit afresh today to invite the Lord to examine and convict your heart regularly.

PRAY

Lord, thank You for always speaking truth. Thank You for giving me Your Word as a reliable, never-changing, totally proven guide for living. Show me how to use it more and more so I’m less and less susceptible to the lies I’m prone to believe. I repent today, right now, of all my sin, one by one. Lead me by Your light into the true freedom of living with a clean conscience, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Old 04-28-2017, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Back in Business

He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep” (John 21:17, ESV).
Of all the events that make up the Easter drama in Scripture, Peter’s denial of Christ is perhaps the one we feel with the most personal sense of “been-there” empathy. We love Jesus. We do. And like Peter, we almost can’t believe what we’ve done sometimes—what we still do sometimes—through our own stupidity and shortsightedness and shallowness. How could we fail to be true to the One who’s never once failed us?

So we can imagine the difficulty Peter experienced in trying to get that picture out of his head: the sound of the rooster’s crow in the dim light of morning and the look on Jesus’ face—bruised and marred and spit upon. Even in Jesus’ pain, He was still thinking of Peter.
How does a person get over the shame of letting Him down like that?

The good news is, he doesn’t . . . because Jesus does it for him. When our hearts are truly repentant, when we’ve “changed our minds,” Jesus comes to us, not only to make His forgiveness known, but to declare His desire that we join Him again in His amazing plan for redeeming a lost and dying world.

Maybe you’re familiar with the scene from the days following Jesus’ resurrection, when He called from the shoreline to the little group of disciples who’d been out on an all-night fishing expedition. Hearing Jesus’ voice, we can imagine how Peter dived from the boat into the sea, slogging through the water until his knees were finally clear of the current—until he could run across the stony beach to embrace Him.

Then after finishing the breakfast that Jesus had cooked for them over a charcoal fire, Peter looked up and saw Jesus’ face turning toward him again. “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” (John 21:15). He asked it once. He asked it twice. He asked it a third time. Three probing questions to match those three devastating denials. Three opportunities under a new day’s light to affirm what Peter had three times failed to demonstrate. “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you” (John 21:16). Once. Twice. Again. “I love you.”

And then . . . a most remarkable thing. “Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep’” (John 21:17). Not three years of hard time as penance for his misdeeds. Not five years on the sideline waiting for him to learn his lesson. Not an extended period of probation until such time as he could prove himself trustworthy again. No.

“Feed my sheep.”

Get to work, Peter.

That’s likely what He’s telling you today, if you’re ready to face and fix the fallout from the things you most deeply regret. What Jesus did for Peter, He can do for you. He can speak over those scenes from the past that still dog you with their haunting, discouraging memories—moments you’d love to go back and do differently, if you could. But while you can never redo what’s happened, Jesus is here with enough grace and joy not only to cover the sorrowful events of yesterday, but also to empower you onward to new moments—better, victorious ones—that are yet to come.

Do you love Him? Then let’s go.

He’s got some good, good work for you to do.

JOURNAL

“Do you love me?”, Jesus asks. If so, how do you know you do?
What’s the first thing you think you’d do if you knew you were free from old regrets?
PRAY

Father, thank You for Your grace that is greater than all my sin. Thank You that You purchased my forgiveness at such great cost, and that You choose to remember my sin no more. Thank you for the privilege of being used by You to do Your work in the world. What can I say to such redeeming love, except . . . I love You, Lord. Please use me for Your glory. I pray this in the gracious name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Spirit, Soul, Body

“And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

The threefold nature of mankind reflects, to a degree, the triune nature of the Godhead. Just as each member of the triune God is complete and wholly God, yet distinct, so each aspect of mankind is also the whole, yet distinct. The body of man comprises the entire man, yet he also possesses certain soulish emotions, desires, and propensities; and finally, the total man is endowed with a spiritual, eternal nature, somehow reflecting the image of God.

These three reflect the three great creative acts of God during creation week, identified by the three usages of the Hebrew word bara, or create. “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth” (Genesis 1:1); i.e., physical material. Later, certain of this physical material was granted consciousness (1:21), which man shares with animals. On the sixth day, man was created as a spiritual being “in the image of God” (1:27), setting him qualitatively distinct from the animals, though he shares body and consciousness with the animals.

As in our text, when the “God of peace” sets about the task of sanctifying representatives of sinful, fallen mankind, restoring such ones to a measure of Christ-likeness, He does so in the order mentioned, beginning with a spiritual awakening. Then, through the transformed spirit, the soul is reached, and finally the body, with its appetites and lusts.

The wisdom of man says just the opposite, claiming the inner man can be improved by changing outside influences, a mentality all too often reflected even in evangelistic efforts. God’s way is to start with the inner man—the root of the problem—and then affect the outer man.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seeking Signs

“An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” (Matthew 12:39-40)

If there was ever “an evil and adulterous generation,” it is surely this present one and, once again, there is a widespread seeking after signs (same word in the Greek as “miracles”). The almost explosive rise of the so-called New Age movement has produced an amazing interest in all forms of occultism and supernatural phenomena: astrology, channeling, ESP, near-death experiences, UFOs, meditation, and mysticism of many strange varieties.

Even in Christian circles, there is an unhealthy interest in new revelations and other supernatural signs. The Lord Jesus, however, rebuked those who wanted special signs before receiving Him. “Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe” (John 4:48). He has already given us the greatest of all signs—His bodily resurrection from the dead, the best-evidenced fact of all history—and this should suffice, as He told the scribes and Pharisees in our text.

In fact, there is a real danger in seeking such signs and wonders, for many of these things—while perhaps supernatural—are not from God. “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect” (Matthew 24:24).

Unlike the first generation of Christians, we now have the complete written Word of God, both Old and New Testaments, and it is sufficient for every need of every believer until Christ returns, “whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts” (2 Peter 1:19). HMM
Old 05-13-2017, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Timeless Truths about Discipleship

He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.”
—-Luke 4:21
There are three timeless truths about discipleship that emerge from Luke 4:14-30.

First, this passage reminds us that we need to imitate Jesus’s spiritual disciplines. Any athlete knows that his success in an athletic contest depends on his preparation. If you are going to be part of an athletic contest but decide to wait until the game starts to try to summon the energy to perform well, you are going to fail. It’s what you have done before the contest that determines whether you will succeed or fail. And it is the same way in our spiritual lives. If we wait until we are under pressure to forgive someone or to say no to temptation, then when that moment of testing comes we are going to fail. The time to be successful is before the test comes. The hours Jesus spent in prayer, in memorizing and meditating on Scripture, and in worship on a regular basis gave Him the spiritual strength He needed in times of testing. If we are going to experience the kind of victory that Jesus experienced, then we need to imitate His spiritual disciplines.

Second, as Christ’s disciples we are to emulate Jesus’s courage. A person’s measure of courage is what it takes to stop that person. What does it take to stop you? What would it take to make you stop dead in your tracks in your relationship with God? For many of us, it is criticism. If anybody begins to criticize what we are doing, that is enough to stop us and turn us around to go another way. If you try to live for Jesus Christ, then mark it down: you are going to be criticized. But to be a disciple of Christ means you don’t live your life to please other people; you live it to please God. You keep on moving just like Jesus did despite what other people think.

Third, this passage reminds us that we are to articulate Jesus’s message. If we are His disciples, then we have been called to carry forth the same message that Jesus announced. Jesus began His ministry by saying, “This is the favorable year of the Lord.” Now, 2,000 years later, we are still living in that favorable year of the Lord. We have been called to continue that message. But that period will not always be in effect, because as Isaiah said, the favorable year of the Lord is going to be followed by the day of vengeance of our God. There is a day coming when Messiah will return to reclaim the earth for Himself, to reward the righteous, and to judge the wicked. There is going to be a time when God says, “Now the day of judgment has come.” When is that day of vengeance coming? I have no idea. But one thing I do know is this: that day of vengeance is 2,000 years closer than it was when Jesus was on earth.

We are living in a day of unprecedented evil. But we are also living in a day of unprecedented opportunity. You will likely experience criticism and opposition as you share the gospel. But that doesn’t matter, because you are simply doing what God has asked you to do: to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord, before the inevitable day of vengeance of our God.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Communicate Well

“Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.” (Philippians 4:14)

“Communicate” is one of the older words from the era of the King James Version that takes some re-connecting in order to clarify the term. Our use today normally means speaking, understanding one another, or simply passing on instructions. The Greek word is sugkoinoneo, a compound of the preposition “with” and the primary word for “participation.”

The basic term is often translated “partner” or “partake” and frequently is connected with the act of sharing finances in the ministry of others. That is the application in the context of today’s verse. Paul commends the Philippian church for partnering with him over his journeys and recognizing time and again the needs that were necessary to fulfill for the success of the ministry.

Today, there are a vast array of charity-based organizations, from large hospitals and universities to local food and clothing distribution efforts. Most of those, by the way, were started by Christian groups as a way to “communicate” to the “affliction” of many. But how do we determine who among the many, or at what ratio, to attempt to distribute “to the necessity of saints?” (Romans 12:13).

Two main principles must guide our “communication” in the Kingdom. First, it is clear that our New Testament responsibility is first to the church in which our Lord has placed us. Some disagree, but “storehouse” tithing appears to claim our first priority. Then there is opportunity to follow the specific leading of God among those ministries with which we are familiar and of whom we are confident that first seek the Kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33).
Old 05-30-2017, 1:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Jesus, the Compassionate Healer

Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I am willing; be cleansed.”
—-Mark 1:41
In Luke 5, a leper came to Jesus. Now, lepers weren’t supposed to have any contact with non-lepers, but this man didn’t care about the rules. He approached Jesus because he was desperate for healing. Look at verse 12: “When he saw Jesus, he fell on his face and implored Him, saying, ‘Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.’” This leper knew that Jesus had the ability to heal him. The question was not about Jesus’s power; the leper’s question was about His willingness. Did Jesus have the compassion to heal him?

Jesus answered that question by what He did next. “He stretched out His hand and touched him, saying, ‘I am willing; be cleansed.’ And immediately the leprosy left him” (v. 13). Mark’s account says that Jesus was “moved with compassion” (1:41). Aren’t you glad we serve a Savior who can be moved with compassion? Something welled up inside of Jesus, and He wanted to meet that leper’s need. He said, “I am willing.” Then He reached out and healed him.

Now understand what Jesus was doing when He healed this leper. He risked becoming infected too. If it were me, I’d be grabbing for the hand sanitizer before interacting with somebody who had leprosy. I wouldn’t want to contaminate myself. But Jesus not only risked physical infection, He was also willing to become ceremonially unclean. As soon as Jesus touched this diseased man, according to the Law He would be unclean too. Anybody who touched a leper was unclean.

This is a great picture of what Jesus does for us. Even though Jesus was the sinless, perfect Son of God, He was willing to become contaminated for us. He was willing to reach out and take our sin and bear it upon Himself so He could provide us with the righteousness of God.

What Jesus did next was strange. “He ordered him [the leper] to tell no one” (v. 14). Obviously, Jesus didn’t know anything about public relations. I mean, if you heal somebody aren’t you supposed to tell everyone about it so you will get a big following? Jesus knew that miracles in and of themselves don’t convert anybody, so He ordered the man to tell no one.

Notice what Jesus said next to the man: “Go and show yourself to the priest and make an offering for your cleansing, just as Moses commanded, as a testimony to them” (v. 14). Leviticus 14 said if somebody is healed from leprosy, he needs to tell the priest so the priest can verify the healing. So the former leper went to see the priest. Remember, nobody had been healed from leprosy for hundreds of years. Imagine the priest looking at the scars that proved the man had been a leper but was now completely free from the disease. This healing was Jesus’s way of announcing to the priest that the Messiah had arrived.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default The Living dead

Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus (Romans 6:11, NASB).
In sports, they call it “playing not to lose”—trying not to make mistakes, being hesitant to take risks or push the boundaries, doing just enough to win. Yet in almost every case, it’s a sure way to get beat. Even if the game ends in technical victory on the scoreboard, it’s done with a strategy that invites unwanted, unnecessary, uninspiring struggle.

And that’s what Christian living is like for many believers. Struggle. The momentum of Sunday morning worship only lasts them until sometime around Sunday night, maybe Tuesday morning. After that, anything that feels sort of like victory comes only from playing a cautious defense, battling to keep from giving up spiritual ground. No freedom of movement. Little sense of forward progress. Just holding on for dear life to avoid slipping back into old habits.
That’s because being “dead to sin” is only part of the victory Christ came to give you. Certainly you want to hold firm there—cooperating with Him in fixing your problem areas, in putting out fires of temptation, not letting sin “reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions” (Romans 6:12, ESV). But this is not the sum total of what the Christian life is all about. Becoming freed from self and moving forward into joy and fruitfulness are not achieved merely by zeroing in on what you shouldn’t do, but from making the commitment to “offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life” (Romans 6:13, NIV). You actively choose to actively serve Him.

Not just death. Life.

A life of serving Him.

If you were to draw a graph depicting the growth trajectory of a Christian, where the vertical axis represents maturity in Christ and the horizontal axis represents the amount of time you’ve been following Him, the anticipated pattern would be a line steadily increasing, continuously trending upward. The longer you’ve walked with Him, the more growth you’d expect to experience. But the more typical pattern shows a burst of growth at the beginning, followed by a leveling out, if not a line trending downward over the years—as if hitting a ceiling that won’t let you move beyond it.

I call that ceiling the Personal Ministry Line. It’s an invisible boundary that marks the topmost height you can reach through focusing only on your own spiritual development, through spending time alone in your Bible. You might think you’d continue to see lasting victory from this approach. But until you come to the place where your faith becomes more than just taking it in, where you’re actually giving it to others—serving God by pouring into other people, by looking for ways to live it out—you’ll stay stuck in the grind and the struggle. Overprotective of your time. Stunted in the free flow and effectiveness of your abilities. Feeling your heart grow cold and surprisingly continuing to fail, even in conquering the sins you’re working so hard to overcome.

One of the truest tests of a person who’s alive to God and not simply dead to their old desires is someone who’s serving Him, daily offering themselves to Him . . . and in the process, finding life abundant.

JOURNAL

How have you experienced the struggle of bumping up against the “Personal Ministry Line”?
What are some opportunities of service and giving you could begin immediately exploring?

PRAY

Father, thank You for dealing so thoroughly with my sinfulness. Thank You for providing me access to victory over it, for killing my sin at its source. But don’t let me be satisfied with that alone. Widen my field of vision to see all the places Your victory can take me. Help me pursue opportunities to live and serve and rise above the needless struggles in my life because of the death blow You’ve delivered to my sin. I know You’ll lead me to even greater victory as I follow You. I’m believing and thanking You today for death that leads to life, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Every Reason to Pray

Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise (James 5:13, ESV).
Ever had one of those situations in life where you didn’t know what to do? Should you call somebody and ask for help? Should you wait it out, give it another day? Should you go plead your case and demand to be heard? Should you take your gloves off, or put them on? Should you see if somebody else will make the first move? You’re not sure. You don’t know.

Yet even when your next step is anything but clear, there’s always a can’t-miss option.You can pray.

If you wish to maintain a sense of emotional health and steadiness throughout life, think of prayer as the right response to any situation, from one extreme to the other—whether “suffering,” “cheerful,” or anywhere in between.

The Jews to whom James wrote his New Testament letter knew what it meant to suffer—a word which, in this case, refers less to physical suffering than to enduring evil treatment from other people. These “twelve tribes in the Dispersion” (James 1:1) had been driven from Jerusalem because of their belief in Jesus, scattered from country to country across the whole region of Asia Minor. They were far away from family, home, and anything familiar. They were suffering.

And James counseled them to respond to it with prayer. To talk with God about it. Pour out your heart before Him, telling Him the depths of your agony and distress. Instead of holding it in, instead of grieving in silence, instead of complaining to others, instead of striving for reactive solutions to your problems, start by just leaning hard on Jesus. “Pray.”

But even your best days should also be seen as prayerful days—opportunities to “praise,” which is simply another form of prayer. This type of praising doesn’t mean lighthearted or boisterous elation, the kind that erupts in a moment, then might fade away as quickly as it came. Rather, it means living with a positive, hopeful outlook, based on the great riches you’ve been given in Christ, returning thanks where the credit truly belongs for anything good you’re experiencing in life. So on days when you’re especially feeling the joys of victory, obedience, and amazement at God’s goodness, think of all the ways you might respond to it, and decide to turn it into worship.

If you’ve ever met an older person who’s become mostly angry, critical, and negative—or perhaps one who’s smug, overly opinionated, and concerned only about themselves—you’re seeing the results of not taking the various experiences of their life to God in prayer. Even some physical ailments are emotional ailments in disguise, bodily reactions to stress and indulgences that a more consistent prayer life might have prevented.

Either you’re kneeling to give your day to God in prayer, or you’re allowing it to gnaw away at your insides. Either you’re judging Him harshly for not preventing and caring more about what’s happened to you, or you’re opening up your prayer journal to keep track of how His faithfulness has held you, even through the hardest stretches of life.

No matter what condition you find yourself walking through today—whether rugged, rejoicing, or blandly routine—connect it directly and automatically to God in prayer, in praise, in ongoing conversation. And expect to experience His peace, His joy, His relief—all His reasons for staying confident

JOURNAL

In what ways are you suffering today? How could you turn that into prayer?
In what ways are you upbeat and cheerful? How can you be praising Him for it?
PRAY

Father, thank You for giving me an immediate response option to every situation I’ll ever face in life. Thank You for caring about my emotional health and well-being so much that You’ve provided a ready-made avenue I can take toward peace and relief from all my concerns. Hear my prayer today. Hear my praise. I offer all of it to You in the abiding name of Jesus, amen.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Jesus, the Prayerful Healer

Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.
—-Luke 5:16
In Luke 5, we see an example of Jesus, our perfect healer. Jesus had compassion on a man who was filled with leprosy, and He was willing to reach out and heal him.

As a result of His miraculous healing of the leper, Jesus’s popularity was soaring. Verse 15 tells us that “the news about Him was spreading even farther, and large crowds were gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their sicknesses.”

However, instead of capitalizing on His growing fame, Jesus did something that was completely unexpected. While the momentum was building, look at what He did in verse 16: “Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.” A constant theme throughout Luke’s gospel is the prayer life of Jesus. The secret to Jesus’s power and extraordinary effectiveness was His commitment to prayer.

As Jesus’s fame was increasing and large crowds were gathering to hear more and more, it is likely that His disciples were saying something like, “Lord, this is no time to be praying. We need You out front healing more people and doing more miracles.” But Jesus understood something very important. There would always be more people for Him to heal, and there would always be more work for Him to do. But Jesus could not neglect His vital time alone with His heavenly Father–and neither can you and neither can I.

You know, we will never have an extraordinary life that is empowered by God until we understand that no matter how unsettled our lives are, and no matter how long our to-do list is, we must get aside and take time to pray. The truth is, if you wait until you have time to pray, then you will never take time to pray. Prayer is something you make time for no matter what is going on around you.

Oswald Chambers said it this way: “Remember, no one has time to pray; we have to take time from other things that are valuable in order to understand how necessary prayer is.”
Old 07-12-2017, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default The Despondency of Death

Jesus wept.
–John 11:35
In John 11 we learn that not only is there a universality of death, but there is also an accompanying despondency of death–a sadness of death. Not long ago I was talking to one of our church members whose husband died. I asked her, “How are you doing?” She said, “I guess I’m doing okay. But every morning I wake up with the sensation that something is not quite right. I suppose I will carry that feeling with me until the day I die.” That’s the despondency of death that accompanies every loss. The reason for that despondency is what death represents. The word for “death” in Greek means separation. A physical death is the separation of our spirit from our body. Spiritual death is the separation of our spirit from God. Any kind of separation is painful no matter how brief that separation is.

We see the despondency of death in John 11. Four days after Lazarus died, Jesus finally arrived. “When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her also weeping, He was deeply moved in spirit and was troubled, and said, ‘Where have you laid him?’ They said to Him, ‘Lord, come and see’” (vv. 33-34). And then we see the shortest verse in the Bible: “Jesus wept” (v. 35). Literally, the verse says He wept uncontrollably. Now, we understand why the Jews wept. Their friend Lazarus was dead, and many of the Jews did not believe in the resurrection from the dead. They thought they would never see Lazarus again. We understand their grief. We also understand the grief of Mary and Martha over losing their brother. But how do you explain the weeping of Jesus? Why was He “deeply moved in spirit”?

Jesus knew the truth of the resurrection. He knew better than anyone that in just a few moments He was going to raise Lazarus from the dead. But separation, no matter how brief it is, is painful. It doesn’t matter what you believe, there is still a despondency that comes with death. Many of you know that despondency. You have lost a loved one. Well-meaning Christian friends tell you, “Just have faith. You need to get over this.” Of course, most people who say that have never experienced a loss themselves. The fact is, there is a grief that accompanies death. And grief is not only normal, but it is also necessary.

Paul wrote about the despondency that accompanies death in 1 Thessalonians 4:13. He said, “We do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep [those who have died], so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.” Notice that Paul did not say, “I don’t want you to grieve at all.” Instead, he said that as Christians, we don’t have to grieve as those who have no hope. We know that however real grief is, it is also temporary. The despondency of death will ultimately be followed by the victory over death.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Guarding the Word

“Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.” (Psalm 119:2)

In the remarkable 119th psalm, there are 176 verses (the longest chapter in the Bible) and 176 references to the written Word of God. Eight different Hebrew words are used for the Scriptures, respectively translated (in the King James Version) “law,” “testimonies,” “precepts,” “statutes,” “commandments,” “judgments,” and two words translated “word” or “words.” Furthermore, this psalm contains 28 admonitions to “keep” the Word, and these are applied to each of the above eight aspects of the Scriptures. The first is in our text, where we are exhorted to keep His testimonies. Note the others also in the following examples.

“Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently” (v. 4); “O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!” (v. 5); “Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word” (Hebrew dabar, v. 17).

“Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law” (v. 34); “I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments” (v. 60); “I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments” (v. 106); “Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word” (Hebrew imrah, v. 67).

This means much more than simply obeying His commands, though this is certainly included. Both words translated “keep” or “kept” in the 28 admonitions noted above basically mean “guard” or “preserve,” as in Psalm 41:2, where both words are used: “The LORD will preserve him, and keep him alive.”

In these verses and many others throughout the Bible, therefore, we are commanded not merely to obey and proclaim God’s Word, but also to guard, preserve, and defend it against all its many enemies. HMM