Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:17 AM

Default Perimeter Alarms and cameras

I would like to set up a perimeter alarm system and a few cameras to see outside if one of the sensors goes off.

They need to be weather proof, self charging, have long range, motion detector cameras and be reliable...

I have 40 acres with two houses very slight grade not to many trees with a barbwire perimeter fence I would like dual monitor systems one in each house.

Our place is located 80 miles form the largest city and 15 miles from a small city. But, we did get a break in last year when both families happened to be gone at the same time... And yes I can discharge a firearm in my yard....

If you have specific experience with using the equipment I would love to hear from you.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:08 PM

If you have good cell phone coverage they make game cameras that send pictures to your phone or computer. Pricey but the price is coming down now. We have 5 of those around the acreage. Trespassers are a pain.

Around the House at the ranch we use the Nest IQ. They are 10 times better than what we used to have and they zoom and have facial rec. They are a hard wired 110 volt AC unit. We have 1 at the gate and 3 around the house. They are WIFI or hard wire. They also have voice. Call your cell when you get a intruder. night vision is fantastic.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:18 PM

Check out the Optex stuff for outdoor motion detection.
Wireless 2000 system - https://www.optexamerica.com/security-products/rctd-20u

They also have commercial/industrial systems.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:29 PM

Thank you both I will check those out..
Old 06-30-2020, 5:48 AM

I'd stay away from battery powered cameras for the outdoors. The sun will destroy and degrade the battery. I had one become useless in just one summer. Go hardwired if you can swing the cable cost. To be fair this was in a state much hotter than CA (not AZ).

Last edited by jamie404; 06-30-2020 at 5:51 AM..
Old 06-30-2020, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
night vision is fantastic.
This is a great prepping truth that deserves to be repeated more often. We've had NV for a couple of years now, and can't believe we waited that long to get it. Another great lesson to learn from the military: NV is game-changing.

Yes, it's expensive, but that's the only downside. Bugging out? NV goggles don't weigh much, don't take up much room. On your own? Travel at night, and you'll be 100x safer and cooler if it's hot. Hunting? Obvious. Criminals breaking in at night? Switch the breaker off and welcome them to your world.

I have never met anyone who bought Gen 3 or 4 NV and said, "I wish I hadn't". Would be interesting to hear from anyone who regrets their NV purchase.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
This is a great prepping truth that deserves to be repeated more often. We've had NV for a couple of years now, and can't believe we waited that long to get it. Another great lesson to learn from the military: NV is game-changing.

Yes, it's expensive, but that's the only downside. Bugging out? NV goggles don't weigh much, don't take up much room. On your own? Travel at night, and you'll be 100x safer and cooler if it's hot. Hunting? Obvious. Criminals breaking in at night? Switch the breaker off and welcome them to your world.

I have never met anyone who bought Gen 3 or 4 NV and said, "I wish I hadn't". Would be interesting to hear from anyone who regrets their NV purchase.
Amen to that. Nothing replaces good night vision or FLIR. We can go big lights or dark dark with a flip of a switch.
Old 06-30-2020, 1:31 PM

I have always like NV too. I loved driving fast down trails with them on freaking out my friends... lol
I will want some NV cameras for sure..

Last edited by tozan; 06-30-2020 at 1:34 PM..
Old 06-30-2020, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie404 View Post
I'd stay away from battery powered cameras for the outdoors. The sun will destroy and degrade the battery. I had one become useless in just one summer. Go hardwired if you can swing the cable cost. To be fair this was in a state much hotter than CA (not AZ).

Very good point our compound is in AZ. Although if we do a full perimeter sensor install we do have 40 acres to cover so it may be a lot of wiring. I wonder if we can bury the batteries a few feet under ground to keep them a lot cooler?
Old 06-30-2020, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Solar, motion activated lights, trail cameras that work with your cell plan, trip wires that have blank shotgun shells or primers. NV too. Here are some ideas. I don’t have any first hand experience with any of these products.

https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm

LEPOWER 1600LM LED Solar Security Lights Motion Outdoor, Super Bright Solar Motion Sensor Light, 5500K White Light, IP65 Waterproof Flood Light with 3 Adjustable Head for Yard, Garage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XB6R89T..._Wq7-EbA7AFPGK

SPYPOINT Link-S-V 4G LTE Cellular MMS IR Infrared Solar Panel Trail Camera with Free 16GB SD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L1C8W8C..._ku7-Eb81GKTDM

Not sure about NV - see monoculara on amazon for $150 that get decent reviews.
Old 06-30-2020, 2:57 PM

Take those solar motion lights and change the LEDs to IR LEDs. Easy and works great with NV and NV cameras. And they won't become targets when they trigger.
Old 06-30-2020, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Take those solar motion lights and change the LEDs to IR LEDs. Easy and works great with NV and NV cameras. And they won't become targets when they trigger.
Maybe keep white LEDs on the border and some IR ones closer to structures. My thinking is the white ones will scare folks away. If they are committed to trespassing, you’ll have the upper hand with NV and IR lights.
Old 06-30-2020, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

We have had trespassers of all sorts come onto our land and we just handle it ourselves.

How tough is it to hire a caretaker to house sit for you when you leave for a week or two or??? Everybody knows a retired couple with an RV. Right?
At least your home and out buildings can be watched up close. I have "always on" floods facing away from the house and some motion triggered lights towards the house, drive way and main gate way down the hill. Done. KISS.

Not much point in turning your joint into stalag 13. Somebody has to babysit the gear and respond to the sensors.

Getting footage or stills of a meth head copper & battery collector running to/from the scene will look like the Patterson Bigfoot film.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-30-2020, 6:42 PM

We have a employee that works and lives on the ranch. There are a lot of things to do. He is a Vet that lives there with his wife and small child. I couldn't ask for better help. Working with his hands has been good for him. He has PTSD and is working thru it. He was deployed with one of my sons 3 times.

He is real good at security. We treat him like family. He doesn't do well with crowds and strangers, but neither do I.
Old 07-01-2020, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
We have a employee that works and lives on the ranch. There are a lot of things to do. He is a Vet that lives there with his wife and small child. I couldn't ask for better help. Working with his hands has been good for him. He has PTSD and is working thru it. He was deployed with one of my sons 3 times.

He is real good at security. We treat him like family. He doesn't do well with crowds and strangers, but neither do I.
Good man for making a place for him and his family.

I've known quite a few vets over the years. From grandfather ww1 Europe to Ranger sniper Afghanistan. Trigger pullers all. All had nightmares for the rest of their lives/life.

They all come back broken in some way. Helping them live with it is another story.

We owe them.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-01-2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozan View Post
Very good point our compound is in AZ. Although if we do a full perimeter sensor install we do have 40 acres to cover so it may be a lot of wiring. I wonder if we can bury the batteries a few feet under ground to keep them a lot cooler?
If you are in AZ I'd definitely go hardwired. The sun is brutal out there. 40 acres is a lot of cable. Never thought about burying the batteries. That is a good idea. I think if you go solar and underground batteries you would be off well. Will you get WWAN or LTE cameras?

Last edited by jamie404; 07-01-2020 at 5:58 PM..
Old 07-01-2020, 2:47 PM

Ring has a motion camera that is solar powered.

All-new Ring Stick Up Cam Solar HD security camera with two-way talk, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7G23ZG..._hjr.EbEN9FW3A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Good man for making a place for him and his family.

I've known quite a few vets over the years. From grandfather ww1 Europe to Ranger sniper Afghanistan. Trigger pullers all. All had nightmares for the rest of their lives/life.

They all come back broken in some way. Helping them live with it is another story.

We owe them.
We just gave him a hand up, not a hand out. It was my son that vouched for him. You are right, we owe every combat vet a dept that can't be repaid. The women and child that God blessed him with has helped more than can be measured.

My family has been blessed with plenty. My wife and I always laugh about bringing home strays as we call them. All my kids and grand kids know this and knew everyone that was in need was welcome. All the memories are my reward. We raised 5 that were in need of a home. Several of our kids are doing the same. We used to own 2 suburbans just to haul the family around in.

Ever make dinner for 14 people ?. It is a daunting task even with everyone helping.

God Bless.
Old 07-01-2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie404 View Post
If you are in AZ I'd definitely go hardwired. The sun is brutal out there. 40 acres is a lot of cable. Never thought about burying the batteries. That is a good idea. I think if you go solar and underground batteries you would be off well. Will you get WWAN or LTE cameras?

Not sure what the difference is yet... My last two places had several video cameras and alarms. So now it is time to update them. It would be nice to get a couple with remote control and zoom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGunOwner_Mike View Post

All-new Ring Stick Up Cam Solar HD security camera with two-way talk, Works with Alexa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W7G23ZG..._hjr.EbEN9FW3A

The Ring might work at the front door but, the front gate will most likely take something more complicated. It is at least 400 feet from either house and we will want to be able to monitor and answer it from either place.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 PM

I'd say remote monitoring is a must, no? Why else have them? Also PTZ cameras are nice but if you are getting several cameras with overlapping coverage you can get away with fixed ones.
Old 07-02-2020, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGunOwner_Mike View Post

I'm not in the setting described by the OP, but I have several of ring spotlight cam solars up around my house. The cameras are battery powered with a small solar panel that recharges the battery. The drawback to the current version/software of these cameras is that you can't control the view zone much. Other cameras give you the ability to "draw" the zone you want to monitor. Other then that, hopefully they'll fix that with a software push, they work pretty well. They do require an internet connection to allow you to monitor/interact with them. Keep that mind.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:12 PM

These are great

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...P2OO0FOW&psc=1