Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-10-2013, 6:16 AM

Default Browning Gold or Silver Owners Question

Here goes a question about hunting shotguns, which seems rare in this forum!

I have one of each of these, both in 20 gauge. I bought the Silver new, and the Gold used. I like them a lot, for several reasons I won't go into here. The Silver is the follow- on model to the Gold, but they're very similar.

There's a way to partially disassemble the receiver area/trigger group in order to remove the bolt and so forth for cleaning, but it seems to be complicated and tricky. In fact, I don't think the owner's manual recommends doing so. I don't really want to mess with it.

The Question: Since they're gas piston operated (not inertia or recoil operated) with the gas being vented out in the forearm area and not reaching the receiver at all, do you think it's necessary to fool around trying to get the bolt out of the shotgun to clean that area? From what I can see, the area seems to stay pretty clean. I sort of noodle around in there with a big Q-tip once in awhile, and shoot a little Break Free in there, sparingly.

No malfunctions on either shotgun. Everything is working dandy.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 07-10-2013, 7:15 AM

Google, Radocy, that where you can get takedown and reassembly manuals for @10 buck, pdf download. you can also usually find a you tube video. good luck
Old 07-11-2013, 11:29 AM

I have had the Gold for probably close to 20 years. I have never pulled out the trigger group. Its not my only 12ga, but its probably hunted ducks 4-5 days a year all that time, its been to the trap range for 2-4 rounds maybe a dozen times (its my older son's favorite trap gun - and will be his on Xmas this year), and its been out for a few pheasant shoots when the sun's too bright for ducks to come within 1/4 mile of the marsh.

After any shooting, I spray a little Rem oil down around the trigger and around the action, and then blow it out with compressed air. I guess if it ever fails, I'll take a closer look, but until then... why mess with it?

My dad has a B80 that he tried to take apart once and lost a spring somewhere. Took a couple months for a gunsmith to find one, and during that time he used my Gold. He shoots at least 3x/week during duck season. He hasn't tried to take apart the B80 since then, and its running like a champ still too.

Edit: Hey OP, my dad's a Navy vet and we live in the SF Bay area too. Can't go wrong with the Brownings. Great minds must think alike haha

There's a mistaken impression that conservatives don't like the environment. We do, we love the environment. We just call it the outdoors and we go there to kill stuff.
-PJ O'Rourke

Last edited by Iskra; 07-11-2013 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Strange. Every auto I've had dropped the trigger group by pushing out a couple pins. Some took a bit of manipulation to go back in, but nothing difficult. Just don't force anything. I'd find it hard to believe that any mainline mfg wouldn't provide for general service.

Autos have a spring loaded plunger in the stock tube. If that gets gunk in it, it can prohibit free action of the plunger and bend the shiznit out of the "tang bars" hanging off the bolt. Best to keep this area clean and relatively dry except the plunger itself or it just collects junk.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 07-11-2013, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
I have had the Gold for probably close to 20 years. I have never pulled out the trigger group. Its not my only 12ga, but its probably hunted ducks 4-5 days a year all that time, its been to the trap range for 2-4 rounds maybe a dozen times (its my older son's favorite trap gun - and will be his on Xmas this year), and its been out for a few pheasant shoots when the sun's too bright for ducks to come within 1/4 mile of the marsh.

After any shooting, I spray a little Rem oil down around the trigger and around the action, and then blow it out with compressed air. I guess if it ever fails, I'll take a closer look, but until then... why mess with it?

My dad has a B80 that he tried to take apart once and lost a spring somewhere. Took a couple months for a gunsmith to find one, and during that time he used my Gold. He shoots at least 3x/week during duck season. He hasn't tried to take apart the B80 since then, and its running like a champ still too.

Edit: Hey OP, my dad's a Navy vet and we live in the SF Bay area too. Can't go wrong with the Brownings. Great minds must think alike haha
Thanks, Iskra; that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I really like my Brownings. Had a 12 gauge Citori for years but finally tired of the recoil and sold it. If I come across a good used 20 gauge Citori someday, I'm in trouble. And I didn't think of the compressed air idea which makes sense. All the best to your Dad.

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We'll preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness. (Ronald Reagan, 1964)
Old 07-11-2013, 4:18 PM

Check YouTube. Probably a video on there.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well gee...why didn't ya just say you wanted to hear of someone who's had no problems by not cleaning his gun? You'll never have a problem....until you do.

I've had my B80 apart many times. Same with the Benellis, Franchi's, Berettas and more. They're designed to pull the bolt and trigger group with very minor skill. Of course gun shops love to charge $75 for a proper cleaning for those who think it's "tricky".

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter