Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-14-2007, 5:35 PM

Default Hi Point C9 Pistol

So I was thinking of buying a Hi Point C9 9mm pistol just to learn the basics on trigger control, sight picture, etc.

Considering I've heard of people finding them for like $60-$80 used at pawn shops I figured I'd be easier to pick one of these up and learn on cheap 9mm then to learn on My HK.45 or even a P22 or 9mm conversion for my Glock 23. Plus I've heard the gun actually has very little recoil due to it's weight and I could use it to teach other's how to shoot. Any opinions on this?

Also does anyone know a shop the carries them for cheap or used. Turners has them for $139.99 but it comes out to $180 after tax and DROS and I'd rather not pay that much for a POC handgun that I'm going to use for only a little bit and teach people on.
Old 07-14-2007, 5:51 PM
Veteran Member

You can find them on gunbroker from time to time for $80.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 07-14-2007, 6:09 PM

it's reliable, and combat accurate. it was a fun toy while i had it, then subsequently sold it to another calgunner. while it's good enough to teach someone on a silhouette, a beginner might get frustrated while trying to keep shots in the black.

i wouldn't say the recoil is less, but rather different. because the slide is so heavy you feel it more going straight back than the muzzle going upwards. or at least that's the way it seemed to me.

if you can find one, for $100 or less, then great. if not, keep looking.
Old 07-14-2007, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Consider airsoft. You can get set up with everything you need for a good airsoft gun for $150. They are clones of real guns, which means you can get Glocks, USPs, 1911s, etc. Airsoft pistols use a compressed gas to propel a small plastic BB. They function identically to the way any semi-automatic pistol does. Pull the trigger and some of the gas will decompress and shoot the BB. The slide will recoil backwards and, upon closing, a new BB will be chambered.

They are great because you can get new shooters accustomed to the grip and controls of popular guns without having to worry about flinching. You can also practice various gunfighting principles yourself in your backyard or in your garage because they are relatively quiet and the BBs can't penetrate much more than cardboard. You can't say that about real guns.
Old 07-14-2007, 7:57 PM

I guess I'd feel better spending ~$150 for a gun which I could use for plinking/varmint hunting, etc then an airsoft gun since I don't play airsoft... if I did play airsoft then yes that would make sense. But I never really considered it.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblast713 View Post
So I was thinking of buying a Hi Point C9 9mm pistol just to learn the basics on trigger control, sight picture, etc.

Considering I've heard of people finding them for like $60-$80 used at pawn shops I figured I'd be easier to pick one of these up and learn on cheap 9mm then to learn on My HK.45 or even a P22 or 9mm conversion for my Glock 23. Plus I've heard the gun actually has very little recoil due to it's weight and I could use it to teach other's how to shoot. Any opinions on this?

Also does anyone know a shop the carries them for cheap or used. Turners has them for $139.99 but it comes out to $180 after tax and DROS and I'd rather not pay that much for a POC handgun that I'm going to use for only a little bit and teach people on.
I don't understand the point of buying it. Do you own a P22 or a conversion kit for the G23? If so, there's absolutely no reason to buy it. You won't gain anything extra from it. You can't wear out a gun. It's near impossible. So from that standpoint it doesn't make sense. From the standpoint of reduced recoil, the P22 takes care of that.

What does it add that you don't have between the P22, USP, and G23 w/9mm?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You also need to think about whether the gun will function properly enough of the time to be of value, lest it create more frustration than you expect.

Turby
Old 07-14-2007, 11:11 PM

I don't have a P22 or a G23 with a 9mm barrel, those were options I was considering, the 9mm barrel being the 2nd most affordable at 130$ or so (105$ barrel and 25$ G19 mag - including shipping costs). But I figured for that price if I can get another gun why not, I can teach someone to learn on it w/o worrying if they f' it up, and it doesn't add uneven wear to my Glock 23 components (or any wear for that matter).

Last edited by fireblast713; 07-15-2007 at 12:02 AM..
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hmm. Your Glock 23 is plenty durable, I wouldn't start to worry about the mileage until you hit well into the 5 digit range of rounds fired.

Turby
Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 AM

So you guys don't think the C9 is a viable option? Same price as conversion barrel if not slightly cheaper (assuming I find a used one), get a standalone pistol that I can use for plinking/teaching/duties I wouldn't want to do w/ my more expensive guns.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

no offense intended but it sounds like you already made up your mind and just want to check with calgunners for approval. If you want to buy it then buy one. I havent heard many positive things about the low-points and have had one break before while doing the safe handling demo If your worried about someone effing up your gun while shooting it then you really dont need to take that kind of a person to a range. The type of person who is going to throw the gun ten feet in the air when they hear the bang and thats pretty much the only thing you will have to worry about.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
no offense intended but it sounds like you already made up your mind and just want to check with calgunners for approval
Haha... kinda yea, idk seemed like a good idea to me, maybe I should just buy 500rnds of .40 cal w/ the $$$ and practice.
Old 07-15-2007, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

I say buy it. Even if you pay retail for it, you're still picking up a brand new pistol for less than $200. That's pretty much unheard of in this state. Even if it does turn out to be a turd, you can still turn around and sell it without loosing too much money. Remember, you can NEVER have too many guns.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Janitors assistant

I own a Raven and two Pheonix arms handguns. I also own a few really high end hand guns as well. A well rounded out shooter has tried a lot of guns and made his mind up for himself what he likes to shoot. I loved my AMT backup till I traded it to a new shooter for a Bond arms Derringer. People say they are crap and unreliable. The 20 Lb. trigger pull was long but crisp. Still I had a ball shooting the gun. So did my friend so I traded it. You never know what gun is going to make you happy. I have a PSP its a 1000 dollar gun that everyone else shoots better than me. Go figure.
Old 07-15-2007, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
But I figured for that price if I can get another gun why not, I can teach someone to learn on it w/o worrying if they f' it up, and it doesn't add uneven wear to my Glock 23 components (or any wear for that matter).
You absolutely can not wear out a Glock. If you're worried about $50 price difference, then you're certainly not going to be able to spend the $80,000 it would cost in ammunition to wear through a Glock! I sincerely doubt any friend you have could do anything to permanently hurt your Glock. I say shoot that and go nuts.

If you really want another gun, buy it! There's no reason it will hurt you to get it. You're not asking about whether or not to simply buy it, you're asking if it makes sense. If you really do want a P22 and a Glock conversion, get those. If you really want a HP, get that. Stop worrying about us and get what you want to shoot. You already know there are issues with HP's, but at <$100 OTD, in the end, it really won't hurt anything. On the other hand, how many rounds of .40 would it take to make up the difference in cost in buying 9mm? 2000+ rounds?
Old 07-15-2007, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I guess I'd feel better spending ~$150 for a gun which I could use for plinking/varmint hunting, etc then an airsoft gun since I don't play airsoft... if I did play airsoft then yes that would make sense. But I never really considered it.
varmint hunting? you lost me right there. Most larger caliber pistols are not accurate enough for varmint hunting if not out right unpleasant, unless you are shooting the varmints at point blank range. You are better off looking for a used 22LR pistol like a Buckmark or P22 for what you seem to want.
Old 07-15-2007, 8:48 PM

I've only heard good things about them. I held one and it was really ugly but thats not important. If I wanted a 9mm, I'd buy one. It can be a good trunk gun, or loaner in SHTF scenario. $80 is worth it for a gun that works.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LECTRIKHED View Post
I've only heard good things about them. I held one and it was really ugly but thats not important. If I wanted a 9mm, I'd buy one. It can be a good trunk gun, or loaner in SHTF scenario. $80 is worth it for a gun that works.
If you want to take a positive stance, this site has some good reading:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/testimonials/

Turby
Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

I've heard a few owners who have them as curiosity pieces say they are ok for what they are. Blow back, non bbl tilting, mechanisms do shoot straight. The blueblood rolex version of the high point is the HK P7 series (delayed blowback action). With an intuitive gross motor skills cocker mechanism and a really obvious extractor protrusion to serve as a LCI- anybody with common sense can work one. You look good owning it-it's range jewelery for sure.

I started off with a few cheap guns with the 'more is better' mentality, but now I try to only get high value pieces or ones that I know I can/will shoot.

For a cheap 9mm..I'd get a a cz 75 or maybe a glock 17-not real cheap, but you can sell them easy-parts are easy to come by on the glock etc. There are probably many good suggestions, but they will all cost more than $400, likely.

(don't forget about 6 guns-noobs take to that action pretty readily, plus it takes a bit longer to empty a box of ammo.)
Old 07-16-2007, 3:13 PM

Don't buy it... shoot your G23.
Learn with that. If SHTF and you needed a pistol and you happen to have a hi-point and a G23 side by side...my guess is you'd probably grab your G23.

my $0.02
Old 07-17-2007, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

IMO, the majority of people who speak negatively about the Hi-Point C9's, are people who have never fired one, or have already decided they would never fire / own one because they are so cheap. No different from a BMW owner who would not be seen dead driving a Geo Metro.

My point is, they're not to everybody taste. I bought a used C9 a few months ago as a plinking gun. I bought it cheap, and it makes a good practice gun ($16.00 per 100 of Winchester White Box). It's not pretty, but by far not the ugliest gun I've seen. It's made of die cast from a zinc alloy known as ZAMAK-3, for low-stress components that do not require the strength and expense of milled steel. Higher stress components in Hi-Points, like the barrel and other small parts, are made of steel. It's a relatively low-tech operating system and utilitarian design, and it is on the heavy side at just under 2lbs.

The polymer frame is crudely finished, and so is the safety switch. It's a budget minded designed / manufactured handgun, but the great thing about it is - it works. I've yet to have mine jam or fail to fire, which is something I cannot say about my other higher pricied handguns. If my life depended on it, I'd spend the money on something expensive and probably German, but as it's my plinking gun, it does what its supposed to do very well. On the other hand, if the SHTF, and it was the only handgun to hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, because I know the C9 will go bang when that trigger is pulled.

Hi-Point also offers a lifetime "no questions asked warranty" (you do not have to be the original purchaser), and will repair or replace any fault free of charge. It it breaks, send it back to Mansfield, Ohio, where they're made.

The C9 is surprisingly accurate. It's not a Glock or a XD, but it does have good accuracy for a sub-$140 CA-legal handgun. The sights are easy to use with it's clearly marked red and yellow dot sights. Extra 8rd magazines are cheap at 15 bucks. The introduction of DoJ safety roster has limited the range of lower priced NEW handguns available to Californian shooters, so if you want really cheap, then Hi-Point is one of the few available options. The C9 still provides a functionally superior handgun than those built by the now defunct "Ring of Fire" / "Saturday Night Specials" manufacturers such as Davis, Jennings, Bryco, Jimenez, etc, who where offering $100 handguns a few years back.

Where the Hi-Point has recieved a bad rep, is in the past, LE has found that Hi-Points are being found on criminals, who use them as cheap throw-away guns.

If you want one, get one. If you decide to you don't like it, sell it to someone else. I doubt you would lose much money on it, since it was cheap to begin with.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 07-17-2007, 8:45 PM

I would, personally, buy the $99 9mm Storm Lake barrel from TopGlock and a used Glock 19 mag from the classifieds at GlockTalk.
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -

Last edited by Exiledviking; 07-17-2007 at 8:49 PM..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthaiboy View Post
IMO, the majority of people who speak negatively about the Hi-Point C9's, are people who have never fired one, or have already decided they would never fire / own one because they are so cheap. No different from a BMW owner who would not be seen dead driving a Geo Metro.
Well the Geo Metro is a POS. Ive owned one and I would say those BMW owner are right. Bad analogy
Old 07-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well the Geo Metro is a POS. Ive owned one and I would say those BMW owner are right. Bad analogy
Perhaps it wasn't the greatest choice of car to choose for the analogy, but I chose to spend 100 bucks on an inexpensive second-hand "toy" handgun to play with, and not a couple of thousand dollars a POS car.

It's not that I feel I have to justify why I chose to buy a Hi-Point, I bought one because a used one came up for cheap, and because I had remember reading like a 4 page article on the C9 about 18 months ago in either Guns & Ammo or Combat Handgunner (I forget which) and it actually had a surprising good write-up.

I would have to say, I would gladly join the ranks of people who would not be seen dead, driving a Metro either.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -