Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-28-2010, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Exclamation INSTEAD OF ASKING ABOUT A GUN FOR YOUR WOMAN...

This is a screenshot of the top threads in the Ladies' Forum right now. Notice anything?

Folks, when you are in the market for a gun, I am 99.5% certain that you always prefer to choose it yourself. Firearms are very individual instruments. There are a great many makes and models, all of which are different from each other, often in very subtle ways. If, for some reason, someone were to choose a gun for you, chances are very high that they would not choose the precise make and model you really wanted. You'd stand a very good chance of thinking "Boy, I just wish I had _______ instead," in the back of your mind, whenever you used the gun at all, and it'd subtract significantly from your enjoyment of the weapon. Even if the gun was a gift, free to you, chances are you'd eventually go through a lot of trouble to sell it, and buy the one you wanted.

Good folk of Calguns, if a woman close to you is trying to decide which gun to buy, or which gun she'd like best to recieve as a gift, and you'd like to help her make that choice, there's something you can do that's much better than asking about it for her in the Ladies' Forum:

Send her here to the Ladies' Forum so she can ask for herself!

Think about it! Like I said, you'd definitely prefer to choose your own gun over having someone else choose for you. Only you can prevent forest fires know which gun looks, feels, and shoots just right for you! A woman is no different from a man in this respect. Credit her with the ability to determine what she prefers, and let her come here herself so that she can ask about the features that most interest her, the concerns she has about recoil with this or that cartridge, whether she will be more suited to a Smith & Wesson or a Taurus, whether she wants a single- or a double-stacked magazine.

After all, it'll be her gun.

And you don't have to take my word for it. After all, I'm not even a woman. But Kathy Jackson and Jennie van Tuyl are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Jackson
"My husband bought me my first gun," says Jennie van Tuyl, a gun shop owner in Washington. "He tried to research which guns had smaller grips for me. We learned the hard way that one needs to be involved in the shopping for her own gun. I decided I needed a gun that fit my hand better and was easier to conceal."

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore; 09-21-2012 at 3:22 AM..
Old 10-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Dido! But if Anyone wants to buy me a gun,... Feel free to ask for advice! ; )
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM

Or better than simply asking - take her to the range to try as many as possible. I'm of the philosophy: Try then buy. Especially for a first time gun owner.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That's exactly right DC, I can't tell you how many times I see the look
of discontent on the wifes face when he says 'I want you to get one of
these'.

Having been in sales all my life; in that time, I have learned a thing or two
about body language.

I know I don't want what someone else thinks I should otter have... NO!

One knows what one wants; and I guarantee..., she knows what she wants.
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 10-29-2010, 1:43 AM
Veteran Member

O joy! A thread addressed to guys. In the Ladies Forum.

Maybe the Ladies Forum should be renamed Off-Topic version 2.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 10-29-2010, 4:00 AM
Veteran Member

Women

:woot:
Old 10-29-2010, 5:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'll go a step further: just buy the gun that you want!

There's no way I'd get my wife to the range in the first place to let her "try before we buy." The local ranges are full of ninjas shooting shotguns, ARs and Garands at 15 yards. I can feel my shirt flutter when they open fire! It's the surest way to get my wife spooked (YMMV.)

So if she doesn't like your choice, keep the gun for yourself (after all, you know you'll like it) and pick out another one for her!

Last edited by sd_shooter; 10-29-2010 at 9:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-29-2010, 6:52 AM
Calguns Addict

What have I posted?
Old 10-29-2010, 6:59 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't have to ask which gun to buy for my wife. Unfortunately, my wife likes all of my guns.
Old 10-29-2010, 7:16 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

this topic was long over due.

mz
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-29-2010, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
There's no way I'd get my wife to the range in the first place to let her "try before we buy." The local ranges are full of ninjas shooting shotguns, ARs and Garands at 15 yards. I can feel my shirt flutter when the open fire! It's the surest way to get my wife spooked (YMMV.)
+1

Even though my wife wants a gun for self defense she really doesn't want to spend every weekend at the range. Maybe someday she will change her mind but today is not that day.

She is looking for a tool not a lifestyle.

So, how many guns will someone have to try to find the "perfect" gun? Twenty? Fifty? There are a LOT of different guns out there today and each has its own quirks and a different manual of arms.

"Honey, the safety on this one has to be pushed up instead of down."

"Well, the only safety on this one is that the little lever on the trigger."

"The safety on this one also un-cocks it for you." (decockers still scare her because she associates a hammer falling with a gun going bang)

"No, you have to push the magazine release on this one forward."

"The first shot on this one is double action, then it switches to single action."

If my wife goes to a range once a month and puts 50 rounds through one rental gun each time she'll need two or three years just to decide which gun to get.

How long did it take to learn to drive a car? Is a gun more or less complicated?

So now the answer is to tell her to just go ask for help on the Internet?

That's gonna work.

The Fanboys will tell her to forget everything else and that Gaston Glock is the One True Savior. The 1911 bigots will counter with the claim that John Browning's design is Perfection itself handed down by God (or at least the Angel Moroni). If she has the temerity to think a revolver might be best she can still read the interminable arguments over Ruger versus S&W.

OK, let say she get past all that. Then she can try to make some sense of the "stopping power" arguments. 45 ACP versus 9mm versus 357 magnum versus 380 versus 38 spl versus 40 S&W versus...

Frankly, I cannot think of a better way to make her hate the whole idea of owning a gun.

Apologies to the ladies in this forum if the above sounds harsh. I asked my original question because I'm trying the help my wife get past the BS I don't even notice much anymore.
Old 10-29-2010, 8:28 AM
No longer in Business

I've had much better luck buying the guns for myself and getting my wife a pass to the day spa.
-Mark
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Even though my wife wants a gun for self defense she really doesn't want to spend every weekend at the range. Maybe someday she will change her mind but today is not that day.
Than she really isn't ready for gun ownership for self defense huh? She should have pepper spray or maybe a heavy bag to hit someone....

She is looking for a tool not a lifestyle.
All tools like craftsman, washi, snap on, etc, are incorped into ones life. A fire arm is NOT a hammer or micrometer

So, how many guns will someone have to try to find the "perfect" gun? Twenty? Fifty? There are a LOT of different guns out there today and each has its own quirks and a different manual of arms.
Ok, first off, that just comes with finding the one that works, more over you have to be of the mind set to want/need/ready to use before ever buying one. I tried springfield xds, glocks, sigs, and etc before getting an XD45. I am SMALL, but found it to fit me best after spending the $ to go with a friend to shoot all his guns, to figure out which I liked best.

"Honey, the safety on this one has to be pushed up instead of down."
"Well, the only safety on this one is that the little lever on the trigger."
"The safety on this one also un-cocks it for you." (decockers still scare her because she associates a hammer falling with a gun going bang)
"No, you have to push the magazine release on this one forward."
"The first shot on this one is double action, then it switches to single action."
If my wife goes to a range once a month and puts 50 rounds through one rental gun each time she'll need two or three years just to decide which gun to get.
All the differences and figuring out them, is what helps one decide what to buy, if its to complicated or a bother for her, she either doesn't need it or have the will to use it, or get her something simple. BAM a revolver. I am sick and tired of whiney fembo's who are barbies about fire arms, knives, and other gear. I clean up well, and can be arm candy myself to a guy, but gheez. Talk about ridiculous! Most women just drive a car to drive to a place. Some who appreciate the fine lines? And know a beemer etc from a benz or porsche, CANT change oil, install a big brake kit, a new turbo kit, know how to remove a radiator, etc. Its sad. Its along the same lines with fire arms. And that truly bothers/annoys me. If you aren't prepared for what comes with a fire arm, stay away, youre just a liability. If you dont have the drive to learn about something to properly and safely use something DO NOT use it. You could hurt yourself or others unintentionally. Its like seeing the dolls at car shows, most cant do sh*t with a vehicle. Just stand there looking pretty. lol. ugh. I can stand there, look pretty, and itll be my own car not some guys hahahahahaa. If one were to use gun for defense? better damn well know how to use it, cause seconds are hours but blips in your own life. A mistake can end yours, or cost it in turn.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

How long did it take to learn to drive a car? Is a gun more or less complicated?
Again, dulty ditzy women bug me. I learned to drive on a 94 Mazda RX7 20B turboed FD. stick. As well a 68 ss chevelle 396, and so on.....I was stunting my bikes before I was out of HS, and making alot of boys cry. lol.

So now the answer is to tell her to just go ask for help on the Internet?
No. Tell her if she wants a gun suck it up, and try them out, otherwise there is no point for anything further. Fire arms are just objects they wont adjust to her, she needs to find the right one, train/practice, be safe; so in an emergency she can respond properly. My view is your best days at the range will not count barely in one instance where seconds are ticking like days....as you face grave harm and such.....just saying. If she truly wants a fire arm for self defense, great. Now read a safety book, take the test, and practice with the fire arms on display for best grip/fit, than take them to the range or find rentals, shoot. If you have to end up buying one that FITS great, but not to her liking at first after shooting? She'll adapt and become adept with it. Its that easy.

I am 90 pounds, top heavy lol, but besides that, I have NO REAL muscle strength though I've been working on that. If I can shoot and use various fire arms, I learn to deal with the umph as well the noise, she can too. DEAL with it, if she gets to sensitive, than I guess shes a victim to herself. Its all personal choice.

That's gonna work.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM

The Fanboys will tell her to forget everything else and that Gaston Glock is the One True Savior. The 1911 bigots will counter with the claim that John Browning's design is Perfection itself handed down by God (or at least the Angel Moroni). If she has the temerity to think a revolver might be best she can still read the interminable arguments over Ruger versus S&W.
Who cares what other people are saying, take her out and get out there and find what works, excuses are only there for a person when they aren't dedicated to any given thing or action. I never really listen to fanboys. From bikes to cars, fire arms and so on, I read reviews and get opinions but ultimately its my choice. I'm the one taking the time, im the one dropping the coin. Put it this way, why would someone need a new ford raptor with a huge dose of boost? huger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, and etc? At that a woman? Most guys will talk ****, but in the end? Whos would the item be? Glock or other poly guns, 1911 or whatever, who cares. Whatever works works.

OK, let say she get past all that. Then she can try to make some sense of the "stopping power" arguments. 45 ACP versus 9mm versus 357 magnum versus 380 versus 38 spl versus 40 S&W versus...
Stopping power is always a good plus, but becoming capable of taking accurate shots is more important. I don't care if a bad guy is running around with some d eagle big boys gun, if he can't shoot it for sh*ts what is that worth? When some lowly person with a glock 19, plinks his chest twice and on the last shot, takes it to part of his face. lol. Stopping power is nice, but accuracy is more important. I use both 45acp and 9mm. Practice is also really important as well as upkeep and making sure everything is in working order....

Frankly, I cannot think of a better way to make her hate the whole idea of owning a gun.
Than she doesn't need it huh? lol. Sucks for her if you aren't around, and pepper spray or what not, at her beck and call is not enough to stop a large man from breaking into your home, beating her around, ripping her clothing off and raping her, than crushing her throat or getting stabbed, than the guy takes whatever valuables are around.....and leaves. while she just lays there either dead or dying. heh....I'd rather be judged in a court of 12 than carried by six to a grave. I rather shoot up and fill some loser with 45 or 9, than let them do anything to ME, my family, or etc. I don't care if its loud, or has a kick....you are the choices you make, and how you deal or prepare for things in life. After all, just in case she DOES get a gun, and does all to prepare, still, doesn't make her odds there of, that she'll survive such an incident, but still bumps those odds in her favor.

Apologies to the ladies in this forum if the above sounds harsh. I asked my original question because I'm trying the help my wife get past the BS I don't even notice much anymore.
She really needs to get over it, i dont think its harsh, I just think its sh*t to get over. How do you think she'd feel driving in a 2010 camaro with 454cubes twin boost fed, on a flat, smashing speeds of 220+ she'd probably cry. But after exposure, one gets use to things. You either shape the immediate world around you? or others will. And you'll just be living in that world. however long or short that may be. I understand shes your wife, but think of it this way, if you were hurt, and she was the only one left in that situation to defend you and herself, your kids? She should think about that.

I always thought to myself, with my ex bf? If we had kids, and someone broke into our home? I'd go to kids room with a sg, pick one of the smaller ones up, while other followed, switching to a HG, bring to single room, fortify the door and let them take whatever. But be of the mindset and capable of using a shotgun, pistol, etc to defend myself, my kids, my husband. If we had gotten married, if we had, had kids lol. Guess I only have to worry about myself now lol. But it shouldnt always be the guy who defends the ever helpless woman, it should be a team. Cause God forbid you can't protect her, wouldn't you want her to be able to take care of herself? Im not trying to start a fight, and if I sound harsh, sorry, its just perspective from a woman who was not the picture of a toughie, but after years of having brothers, a dad, and lots of friends who either served, serving, or are LEO, I've become something a bit rare or so they tell me. lol. A woman who knows her cars, can build her own, who plays with sharp objects and things that go click/boom! lol. I dont like having to rely on someone/man for anything, from tuning a GTR or ZR1 to building my rifle, defending myself. EARNING $. lol. I cant stand frail timid women. Yuck.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Take the woman in your life to choose a gun they like holding, feels right, weight is tolerable if not perfect, buy. go shoot. That is if you can't rent some first to try out, eventually if the need is more than a want, the new owner should, and would adapt.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
Take the woman in your life to choose a gun they like holding, feels right, weight is tolerable if not perfect, buy. go shoot. That is if you can't rent some first to try out, eventually if the need is more than a want, the new owner should, and would adapt.
Your postings are excellent examples of why I wouldn't ask her to come to this forum.

A gun is a tool. Get over it.

Sorry to have wasted your time, ladies.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

On the bright side, it appears a lot of women are buying a gun for the first time
Old 10-29-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree. I think that it is best to have the lady pick out what she wants. It did me a world of good when I bought my first pistol to try out as many as i could prior to purchase, especially since this was my first introduction into guns. I wanted to get something that was recommended but that felt comfortable.

It's definitely worth it in the long run. Unless your lady is already talking wanting a specific gun definitely best to take her out and let her try different ones.

Onequickshift: I cant stand frail timid women. Yuck.
Loved this statement.
Old 10-29-2010, 4:06 PM
Banned

I have a different problem. I'm looking for a woman for my gun! I have one that is just perfect for a lady, but no one to carry it.
Old 10-29-2010, 4:34 PM

I agree with letting her do the picking... My wife has great taste, so much so, that after trying out her second purchase, I got one for myself. Now she tells me she wants a 1911, and not in 9mm
Old 10-29-2010, 4:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
A woman who knows her cars, can build her own, who plays with sharp objects and things that go click/boom! lol. I dont like having to rely on someone/man for anything, from tuning a GTR or ZR1 to building my rifle, defending myself. EARNING $. lol. I cant stand frail timid women. Yuck.[/B]
Most women aren't like you.

"You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
Old 10-29-2010, 6:36 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

sd shooter, this is the ladies forum.

it appears the women were/are discussing something that bothers them.....and it was my understanding that this forum was created for women to do just that......

mz

ps it was your choice to participate. you can choose not to do so.

and i'd go a step further and say that your post to this particular thread would appear to be that dreaded "trolling" that is always talked about in the off topic threads.....

"I'll go a step further: just buy the gun that you want! There's no way I'd get my wife to the range in the first place to let her "try before we buy." The local ranges are full of ninjas shooting shotguns, ARs and Garands at 15 yards. I can feel my shirt flutter when they open fire! It's the surest way to get my wife spooked (YMMV.) So if she doesn't like your choice, keep the gun for yourself (after all, you know you'll like it) and pick out another one for her!"

why Why WHY did you think in this particular thread that women wouldn't take issue with such a post?! especially the OP?!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 10-29-2010, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
sd shooter, this is the ladies forum.

it appears the women were/are discussing something that bothers them.....and it was my understanding that this forum was created for women to do just that......

why Why WHY did you think in this particular thread that women wouldn't take issue with such a post?! especially the OP?!
Full disclosure: I am a man. I still do take issue with it though.
Old 10-29-2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
Your postings are excellent examples of why I wouldn't ask her to come to this forum.

A gun is a tool. Get over it.

Sorry to have wasted your time, ladies.
Hey, I didn't think you wasted anyones time. You came in here and meant well and while I understand what the OP is getting at, at the same time a lot of well meaning husbands and SO's come in here seeking some advice from the ladies which they can pass on to their lady.

While Onequickshift's passionate rant about herself compared to other women has merit - she also needs to understand, as someone stated, that not all women are like her or the other Lady calgunners here. The reality is that it is still a male dominated hobby and sport and other women just don't see guns or cars that way. Thinking the way we do does not make us any better than them... just more informed.

We need to learn to understand the differences between the ladies who are here and those who are not. We are the hardcore. We are here on Calguns and we do love our guns.
Then there are the casual and the "never tried", and for them, the need or desire to learn or to come in here and ask themselves is just not there. But if their significant other has that for them - why is it so bad if they come in here and ask? Yes, the best thing is to always try the gun out themselves - but the helpful responses one gets in the thread serves as a nice guide when it comes to picking up which guns to try first or what seems to be a popular favorite, etc etc etc.

Sometimes, these threads bring out nice gems of new information. Say the lady involved has some different needs and wants involved... the person seeking advice could learn of a gun he/she would never even have thought of trying. It's educational for me too. We are always learning.

Random Thoughts of a Cereal Kind.
Old 10-29-2010, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarville View Post
+1

LOL Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
I've had much better luck buying the guns for myself and getting my wife a pass to the day spa.
-Mark
I second this motion.

As to the topic, I am the "gun guy" in my circle of friends. I have a lot of people male and female ask me about what gun I think they should buy. I guess I could just tell them to go out and spend all kinds of money renting and trying different guns. But I don't see that as being very helpful. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking other womans opinions of the guns they think other women would like. I can see myself asking that question here if I had neglected to use the search function and do some digging before I opened my mouth. I think we should just suggest that all those posting the same questions do some reading, and if they feel their particular situation needs specific mention then by all means start a thread with your question.
Old 10-29-2010, 7:43 PM

Wow, this is why I don't hang out with a lot of woman/girls.....so dramatic! I am a woman, I am only 24, I like my cars, I like my guns, I like my sports, etc. But I also love being a woman. I think talking crap about how other woman choose to be is just plain immature. Just because someone chooses to act a certain way does not make them lesser than anyone else. HOWEVER, if a woman wants to shoot just because they think its "cool" or they want attention, then I agree that they should NOT be owning a gun. Let's lighten the mood up a little please! And let's not judge people we don't even know!
Old 10-29-2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSS View Post
Wow, this is why I don't hang out with a lot of woman/girls.....so dramatic! I am a woman, I am only 24, I like my cars, I like my guns, I like my sports, etc. But I also love being a woman. I think talking crap about how other woman choose to be is just plain immature. Just because someone chooses to act a certain way does not make them lesser than anyone else. HOWEVER, if a woman wants to shoot just because they think its "cool" or they want attention, then I agree that they should NOT be owning a gun. Let's lighten the mood up a little please! And let's not judge people we don't even know!
Here here!

Speaking of hanging out... Let me pm you about shooting!

Old 10-29-2010, 7:49 PM

On a side note:
Onequickshift: you are LUCKY to have worked on a ZR1. I want one so bad! I am a Chevy gal....even got the bowtie tatted on me along with the vette flags (I got a 95 Impala SS)
Old 10-29-2010, 9:17 PM
C3 Leader

I'm keyboarding without my glasses (uh oh,) but this is the thought that comes to mind after all this discussion on who should buy what for whom... we gals need to have a Girls' Day Out and hit some gun stores to "browse" It brings to mind that's like wine tasting without the hangover maybe?

Think that type of event would generate more interest than a Shoot N Que for the gals?

To the OP, thanks... I often try to encourage the new ladies to join CGN. They don't have to log in countless posts, but there is helpful info on here, as many would agree.

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 10-29-2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
I don't have to ask which gun to buy for my wife. Unfortunately, my wife likes all of my guns.
She likes mine too :twofinger

(Hi buddy. : )
Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm pretty much with onequickshift on this, but maybe not as fervent. I agree that the woman needs to select the one that fits her best, not only in grip but features and force, and she needs to practice with it.

However, since there are so so many different types, there's no reason not to ask for advice to narrow it down to a manageable number to try out. No need to go through the wide range of guns available. Pick a glock-type, a revolver, etc. , with a couple different calibers and see what works best. Then start narrowing it down to a specific model.

My husband (missiondude) has some great S&Ws, but when I wanted to buy one for myself, I rented an XD, Glock, Sig, etc just to try out other types. Fell in love with the S&W 952, bought it, and found that it just didn't work for me during any type of competition. Couldn't get the darn thumb safety off fast enough. Still love it at the range, though. So I got a S&W M&P in 9mm, and it's the best thing for me. As he said above, he liked it so much he bought one too.

But I guess my point is that if the woman wants a gun, she needs to take ownership of the purchase, the training, etc. If she's not willing to do that, then just buy what you want and realize that she's just not into it.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Space Cadet

The thing that always perplexes me about the "What gun should I buy for my woman" threads is that there seems to be an inherent assumption in the question that women are "special needs" when it comes to firearms. Unless she is a truly delicate flower of womanhood who will end up on a fainting couch if she hears a loud bang, chances are she has very similar requirements to a man's needs for a first gun. Something affordable, uncomplicated and reliable that fits her hands comfortably. Many would probably suggest a .38 revolver or a Glock for that situation.

The problem with asking this question is that it is similar to asking "What kind of car should I get for my lady" -- the solution space is too large to narrow it down without a lot of additional information. Many people would respond a lightly used Honda Civic, but then others will advocate a truck... Guns, like cars, are subject to personal choice considerations that someone on an internet forum just won't know about your loved one.

Spending a day at the range with her to determine what types of guns she likes and why could help narrow the field a lot. In fact, she probably won't even have to actually fire very many to exclude them from consideration (ergonomics, safety features not the style she prefers, etc.) Once she's narrowed it down to the few she doesn't dislike, then you can find some to shoot. If she doesn't even want to handle guns without firing them to find out which she prefers, she may not be sufficiently on board with this plan to get much benefit out of owning a firearm.

If it turns out that an HK P2000 or a Service Six is in that set of possibilities, PM me and we can probably figure out some way for her to shoot mine.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

movie zombie! I was wondering if you'd ever post again in the Ladies Forum.

Yup. [Sniff, sniff]. Waaaaay too much testosterone for this place to be called the Ladies Forum. lol

And Steyrlp10, a day get-together sounds great. But gun shopping? We'd run the poor clerks nuts and ragged in asking, over and over again, Oooo! Can I try that one and that one! Oh, and that one!

Still I think we should at least first go to Asphodel's Second Saturday event. She's been hosting this event and posting it often enough, and we female Calgunners in the Bay Area ought to support her and her efforts.

And onequickshift -- I love your fervor! And dang, you're one talented girl.

Old 10-30-2010, 1:28 PM

Do you think we could potentially lose a new member to the shooting community if say they had the interest and just needed a little help and push but instead of their friend/significant other helping them out they say "go do your own research yourself and post in this forum blah blah blah" ... would they do it and join or would they be discouraged.

I mean, I read through all the threads again right now... and a lot of them talk about how they have done the "try it themselves method" but are just looking for more suggestions. Is that so wrong? Maybe it is. What do I know.

And if we equate this to a car - when going car shopping it is always good to hear from those who have experience with the car or in this case a gun. Because once we get past the suggestion and get to the why... as in why did you choose that gun/car/whatever and what is your experience with it. That first-hand experience is great information to have and is something that can aid and guide you when you go shopping.

ETA: Also, as already seen in this thread, would some of the posts made here and how we approach things turn away the significant others from encouraging and helping their loved ones get into shooting? Someone is asking for help and comes to ask a specific group who they feel would be able to help and instead we scold them for it. I say it's quite off-putting.

Last edited by Sajedene; 10-30-2010 at 1:35 PM..
Old 10-30-2010, 1:45 PM
Space Cadet

Does anybody else think it would be a good idea for someone to write up a "Helping your loved one select their first firearm" post and make it a sticky, with some input from the ladies on this forum as to what their personal favorite handguns are and why?
Old 10-30-2010, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Choosing and being able to shoot a handgun well is such a personal thing. What fits the average man's hand won't necessarily fit the average woman's hand. (For instance, almost every guy I've dated, I've made him put his palm against mine. And men have big hands compared to women.) So the recurrent thought offered in these "What first handgun should I get for myself/my wife/GF?" threads is and will always be: Let her pick her first handgun by trying many.

And sticky? Yeah, that's a good thought. But everybody who posts a query thread always thinks he (or she) has a unique question and can't even be bothered to read old threads, let alone a sticky.

So I guess we're stuck with guys and gals forever asking, "What first handgun should I get myself/my wife/GF?," as well as always having more guys answer the questions (or post replies) in the Ladies Forum.

Old 10-30-2010, 8:10 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by masameet View Post
movie zombie! I was wondering if you'd ever post again in the Ladies Forum.

Yup. [Sniff, sniff]. And Steyrlp10, a day get-together sounds great. But gun shopping? We'd run the poor clerks nuts and ragged in asking, over and over again, Oooo! Can I try that one and that one! Oh, and that one!
Ah, but that's the price of working for a commission

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 10-31-2010, 9:26 AM

Ok first off, I have no problem when guys come in here asking about which gun to get their gf/wife. Yeah, the gf/wife should pick it out themselves, but do you honestly think that the guy is just gonna go buy whatever gun we tell him? No. They are just trying to get ideas to present to their gf/wife. Being rude to people who post these questions just gives us (woman) a bad reputation. If you don't want to help them out, then don't. This is a forum, it is used for information and advice purposes only. I have gotten a lot of great advice on here, and I can honestly say that if anyone was rude to me then I would not have come back to this forum.

When I bought my first gun, I had only shot a gun once before when I was like 14. I just bought my 3 guns in August this year....that is how long I have been shooting. Having no experience, I bought a Ruger SR9c from the advice of the sales guy. I LOVE my gun!
Anyways, my point is, what if the guy does buy a gun for his gf/wife from the advice of us (well some of us). If she likes it then great! If not, then they could always go exchange it. Is it really that big of a deal? No. And in my opinion, if she is just a beginner, she isn't really going to be too concerned about grip, etc. If it goes bang, and it is pretty, she will most likely like it. Once she gets more into it, then she will probably start being more picky about grip, etc. I really think that people grow to love thir guns too. I did. Ruger has a reputation for heavy triggers. Mine does, and I actually like it better than my XD40 trigger.
Old 10-31-2010, 6:49 PM

I like men! I am not trying to ban them. But I don't use this forum much because it seems like it's all men talking about the women in their lives. Let's have some balance please. I don't have women friends at home who are informed about the excitement I have about a specific gun or guns.

My b/f of 18 years is a really talented shooter, a foot taller than me, ex military vet. He would never get me a gun without asking me. He does advise me. He is sorry to this day (several rifles/carbines later) that he suggested I check out Mosin Nagants after a lazy Sunday of firing his Mauser, but in general he asks questions and researches and (here you go guys) uses the SEARCH button on this forum.

I'd like this to be a "ladies forum" plus men, because it's not very often we ladies can share our experiences with each other.

Also it's true, Lulu, she may love her first gun but maybe we need a "shopping for guns" subforum too. We'd ALL be there, I think, as well as spending time here!
The cure: Buy a Mosin M44 and shoot 100 rounds as fast as you can. When you can handle that, you are good to go.
7.62X54R Скалы
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic59320_9.gif