Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-14-2018, 1:04 PM

Question Workbench

Looking for workbench similar to the link below. Adjustable height, wooden top with back panel for hanging tools. About $200 or so, any suggestion?

Blobal Workbench

Sears Workbench (on sales) can be had for about $210 with two $25 in store cash (two months spread) but I wonder if Sears will be there in two months.

Last edited by husadee; 10-14-2018 at 6:17 PM.. Reason: Sears cash back
Old 10-14-2018, 1:18 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

The Sears has a mounted power strip and a bottle opener... hahaha... those're some features!

Seriously, the Sears bench should be more stable, and it seems to adjust across a broader range of height. I have a fixed-height stainless-covered Sears bench, and it's six feet wide. I love it.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 10-14-2018, 1:48 PM

Harbor freight for good prices on just things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Bought a Husky rolling tool box with nice wood top at Home Depot. About 36" high, 45" wide and 24" deep. And yes it has a built in power strip & USB ports!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...BOXD/304009099

Last edited by anyracoon; 10-14-2018 at 2:53 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 3:34 PM

You could purchase this kit and then build it to the exact size you want. Kit is basically the legs and support pieces and you just add wood. I built one that is 8' long and 3' wide with a top shelf above the bench. I use it for a reloading/work bench and in addition to reloading stuff on the bench, I also store 44 (40mm ammo cans) that are full as well. The cans are two deep across the bottom and the rest are on the top shelf. I don't have the side stand that you see in the pic and I ran a second layer of 2x4's across the top shelf to hold the ammo cans as my top shelf was thinner plywood originally.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2x4-Basic...16&athena=true

EDIT: I found an older pic I posted on another thread about a work bench. This will give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Last edited by Hairball; 10-14-2018 at 3:40 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
The Sears has a mounted power strip and a bottle opener... hahaha... those're some features!

Seriously, the Sears bench should be more stable, and it seems to adjust across a broader range of height. I have a fixed-height stainless-covered Sears bench, and it's six feet wide. I love it.
I do like the USB and power strip though, convenient. Features are nice but I can add them later just mean more $ to the basic cost or live without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk518 View Post
I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyracoon View Post
Bought a Husky rolling tool box with nice wood top at Home Depot. About 36" high, 45" wide and 24" deep. And yes it has a built in power strip & USB ports!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...BOXD/304009099
I like to be able to sit to work though. Thanks for recommendation in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
You could purchase this kit and then build it to the exact size you want. Kit is basically the legs and support pieces and you just add wood. I built one that is 8' long and 3' wide with a top shelf above the bench. I use it for a reloading/work bench and in addition to reloading stuff on the bench, I also store 44 (40mm ammo cans) that are full as well. The cans are two deep across the bottom and the rest are on the top shelf. I don't have the side stand that you see in the pic and I ran a second layer of 2x4's across the top shelf to hold the ammo cans as my top shelf was thinner plywood originally.
Nice work on the unit. I saw it but I don't know how to make the top that's what stop me. Does the cost of the lumber add up to make it around $200?
Old 10-14-2018, 4:51 PM

I don't recall the exact price of the lumber and the final cost will depend on what grade of 2X4's and plywood you select but its not too much. Best thing to do is create a rough sketch of what you would like and then go to your local store and price it out. The top is just a piece of plywood cut at 3'x8' and then I put another thin cover over it. If you don't have a table saw for the larger cuts, they can make those cuts at the store when you buy it. You will still need some basic tools so if you don't have any, it would be cheaper to purchase a bench that comes assembled.

Last edited by Hairball; 10-14-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Lights, thick hardwood top, power strip, delivered.

Old 10-14-2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
[IMG]
Lights, thick hardwood top, power strip, delivered.
Not adjustable height though.
Old 10-14-2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:

Harbor Freight has what looks like a decent, but basic, work bench. On sale, it goes for just under $80.
Old 10-14-2018, 7:36 PM

What kind of work will you be doing on it? IKEA has those desks that are electric and adjust up and down. Not sure what they cost but maybe that fits the bill on adjustments.
Old 10-14-2018, 7:38 PM

I used this guy to build me 4 benches. Free delivery too.

www.niceworkbench.com
Old 10-14-2018, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
What kind of work will you be doing on it? IKEA has those desks that are electric and adjust up and down. Not sure what they cost but maybe that fits the bill on adjustments.
Stuff in the garage. hammering, wood/pipe cutting, gun cleaning, electrical soldering, etc.
Old 10-14-2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2x4-Basic...16&athena=true

EDIT: I found an older pic I posted on another thread about a work bench. This will give you an idea of what I am talking about.
I like your set up. I think I'm going to go this route but make the shelves half the depth underneath so I can use a stool. It'll be easier to clean rifles etc that way.
Old 10-15-2018, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919_4_ME View Post
I used this guy to build me 4 benches. Free delivery too.

www.niceworkbench.com
With free delivery those are good prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 7:54 AM

I'd check Craig's List.

A work bench wouldn't be difficult to build. My guess is plans are available for sale or you could draw your own.
Old 10-15-2018, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
With free delivery those are good prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Only $100 difference from the smallest to the largest. Looks like good quality.
Free delivery with in 50 miles though.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble servant View Post
I like your set up. I think I'm going to go this route but make the shelves half the depth underneath so I can use a stool. It'll be easier to clean rifles etc that way.
I was thinking that too. You and I probably sit to work. He probably likes to stand up and walk around while working.

When are you planning to build the bench? I'd like to know how much you end up paying for it. The Sears one is very tempting at $200 with $25 $25 cashback but I don't know what'll happen if I mount a vise on it. And I don't know how to find and mount a panel to hang tools.

Last edited by husadee; 10-15-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 1:09 PM

The Seville products are fantastic. I have the adjustable height work table and it's bomb proof. Was very cheap at Sam's Club.
Old 10-15-2018, 1:13 PM

Walmart has one similar for under $200.
Old 10-15-2018, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the Seville benches and cabinets from Sams Club. Great products!!

I also have a plywood bench with a integrated wood rack on top in the back of my shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Last edited by SVT-40; 10-15-2018 at 1:28 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 1:37 PM

SVT-40 - Look like a thick solid top that you mount the vice to. Nice! Nice clean shop to boot.

The Seville products are fantastic. I have the adjustable height work table and it's bomb proof. Was very cheap at Sam's Club.

WHH - How much is it at Sam? We are a Costco member and can't see Sam's price.
Old 10-15-2018, 2:17 PM

OP I don’t know if you’ve seen the reloading bench thread, but there are some good ideas there. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=252444
Old 10-15-2018, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
OP I donít know if youíve seen the reloading bench thread, but there are some good ideas there. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=252444
I'll certainly check it out, thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 2:37 PM

I've got something similar that I bought at Lowe's, comes in Stainless or Black, has three drawers, costabout $250
Old 10-15-2018, 2:39 PM

Lowe's: Kobalt 45-in W x 36-in H 3-Drawer Wood Work Bench

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-45-in-...Bench/50109236
Old 10-15-2018, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by husadee View Post
SVT-40 - Look like a thick solid top that you mount the vice to. Nice! Nice clean shop to boot.

Thanks... It's not near that clean now...

If you check Sams club on line the prices should show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 10-15-2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/72-inch-wo...e/prod22000197

This is what I have. Itís a steal at $210. Iíd buy 2 or 3 more if I had space for it.
Old 10-15-2018, 8:32 PM

It looks very nice indeed and at the price. Am I able to add the pegboard or drawers later on for the 6' model? If I can then this is definitely a good deal. Just have to find a way to get in the club to buy one.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
It looks very nice indeed and at the price. Am I able to add the pegboard or drawers later on for the 6' model? If I can then this is definitely a good deal. Just have to find a way to get in the club to buy one.
I think you could bolt on anything you wanted as long as you are comfortable with some fabrication. It's super burly in all regards: thick hardwood top and very solid steel legs.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Seconded. The workbench below is a steal for the price, especially when paired with a 20% off coupon.

60-in workbench

I've checked it out in person and it's well built for the price. If I had space and money, I'd retire my old workbench and get this one to replace it.

Put some pegboard on the wall behind your bench and you're good to go.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM

My bench isn't set against a wall. It will have to have support from the table.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I was thinking that too. You and I probably sit to work. He probably likes to stand up and walk around while working.

When are you planning to build the bench? I'd like to know how much you end up paying for it. The Sears one is very tempting at $200 with $25 $25 cashback but I don't know what'll happen if I mount a vise on it. And I don't know how to find and mount a panel to hang tools.
I'm not sure, hopefully soon. I'll come back to this thread when I do and post the details.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
Seconded. The workbench below is a steal for the price, especially when paired with a 20% off coupon.

60-in workbench

I've checked it out in person and it's well built for the price. If I had space and money, I'd retire my old workbench and get this one to replace it.

Put some pegboard on the wall behind your bench and you're good to go.
Nice bench, I like the spot for the vise. What are the 4 sticks on the bench for? Good contender except for the shelf below and may be the height.
Old 10-16-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Nice bench, I like the spot for the vise. What are the 4 sticks on the bench for? Good contender except for the shelf below and may be the height.
This bench is more geared towards woodworking. The sticks are removable and they are called bench dogs.

The bench top has several holes drilled in the top, probably 8-10 sets of holes. Two bench dogs go in the holes on the table, and two go in the wood vise built into the right side of the table. This basically makes a large adjustable vise, that you can use to hold a workpiece with for sanding, routing, gluing, whatever.

I can see how the shelf below might be a deal-breaker. For the height, I would just extend the legs with some wood blocks, stem casters, workbench casters, etc as needed if you just need one particular height. If you need adjustment, then this bench might be more trouble than it's worth if your adjustment needs are beyond an inch or two.

Edit: In case my description wasn't clear:

Last edited by TheReluctantCraftstronaut; 10-16-2018 at 1:22 PM..