Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-14-2018, 9:13 AM
Dirtlaw Dirtlaw is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: OC
Posts: 182
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Lighted Pistol

I'm approaching this backwards. What pistols with a picatiny flashlight have a readily available holster? Would a "universal" holster be the best path if you have multiple lighted pistols?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:12 AM
Rusty Bolts Rusty Bolts is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 58
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Kimber sells a leather (Galco?) holster for the TRE/RL and flashlight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2018, 4:20 PM
placerproud placerproud is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 170
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

What kind of holster? And Glock is going to be the most heavily supported.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2018, 9:17 PM
L84CABO's Avatar
L84CABO L84CABO is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Orcas Island, WA and San Diego
Posts: 5,339
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well the most popular pistol out there is Glock. And the most popular light is Surefire and then probably Streamlight. So if you don't stray too far off the beaten path, you shouldn't have too many problems.

And with the above said, I haven't had any problems finding holsters to fit my M&P's w/surefire. YMMV.

Disclaimer: Whether the gun is on the roster, however, if another mater entirely.
__________________
"Kestryll I wanna lick your doughnut."

Fighter Pilot
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 AM
grantar2's Avatar
grantar2 grantar2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,493
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
I'm approaching this backwards. What pistols with a picatiny flashlight have a readily available holster? Would a "universal" holster be the best path if you have multiple lighted pistols?
For concealed carry a universal holster is only the right choice when the choice is universal holster or not carry at all. Since you will only draw in fear of your life and great bodily harm, you are likely already hurt and the assailant is on you, with maybe a second left in your life, why would you skimp on the one component that you will depend on well you are bleeding, being beat on or on the ground.

Pick the gun you use most, and if it's my shop or some one else buy the right holster. The right holster improves performance, comfort, and safety.

Then ask why are you carrying a light on a CCW gun anyway. Yes I know that all the cool ex Rangers, MARSOC and so forth do, but they are in the business of training their on kind and LEO's in duty situation defense. Since your not supposed to point your gun at anything your don't intending to destroy, and you bring startle response into play as well as potential legal questions on your eyesight under less than optimal conditions, why aren't you just carrying a light on your belt or in your pocket. They are light enough and small enough these days.
__________________
www.PackinFurDefense.com Orange Counties Concealed Carry Store - Mission Viejo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2018, 9:51 AM
Yodaman Yodaman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,104
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post



Then ask why are you carrying a light on a CCW gun anyway. Yes I know that all the cool ex Rangers, MARSOC and so forth do, but they are in the business of training their on kind and LEO's in duty situation defense. Since your not supposed to point your gun at anything your don't intending to destroy, and you bring startle response into play as well as potential legal questions on your eyesight under less than optimal conditions, why aren't you just carrying a light on your belt or in your pocket. They are light enough and small enough these days.

This is bad advice IMHO.

So now you need to use one hand to shoot and one had try grab a light to use?

I know many do, but why is using a weapon mounted light a worse idea.


It freeís up the other hand to get a better grip on the weapon. Easier to use for many. And what if one hand goes down?

You have to think of all scenarios not just the ideal ones like having enough time to grab a flashlight and having both hands available.

Thatís on top of the tactics needed for that.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 AM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 437
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
This is bad advice IMHO.

So now you need to use one hand to shoot and one had try grab a light to use?

I know many do, but why is using a weapon mounted light a worse idea.


It freeís up the other hand to get a better grip on the weapon. Easier to use for many. And what if one hand goes down?

You have to think of all scenarios not just the ideal ones like having enough time to grab a flashlight and having both hands available.

Thatís on top of the tactics needed for that.
That side of the debate says that you are pointing your weapon at the thing you are trying to identify. What if it is your spouse or your kid? You are already in an startled state and the chance for shooting when a "person" gets illuminated is higher.

That being said, my HD gun is a 1911 with TLR-1
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Daze Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 493
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default This is a heavily debated issue...

Lots of people with different opinions on it as well.

I tend to lean on the side of rather have it and not need, than need and not have. I trained for many years shooting my pistol one handed with the flashlight in my other (I'm old, this was before WML's) It's totally doable, but if given the choice, I'd prefer to have a nice two handed grip on my pistol.

Glock, M&P, Sig, & HK, Beretta are the ones that come to mind first for holsters with lights. Most manufacturers will do lightbearing holsters for Surefire and Streamlight WML's at minimum.

With the smaller WML's like the Surefire XC1 and the Olight PL-Valkyrie Mini the old bulkiness of the weapon with light protruding out past the barrel is over. I know that was a deal breaker for many CCW folks ( plus the added bulk and weight on a CC.) More than 50 % of my life is spent in darkness though so for me it was a no brainer. 300 - 400 lumens are also plenty bright enough for clearing small to medium spaces .

Not gonna replace a flashlight for LE, but as I am now a parent and guardian, I often times have one hand controlling a hyper 2 year old. Sometimes both hands just aren't free in life.

Just a opinion though.

Last edited by Daze; 10-29-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2018, 4:57 PM
grantar2's Avatar
grantar2 grantar2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,493
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
This is bad advice IMHO.

So now you need to use one hand to shoot and one had try grab a light to use?

I know many do, but why is using a weapon mounted light a worse idea.


It free’s up the other hand to get a better grip on the weapon. Easier to use for many. And what if one hand goes down?

You have to think of all scenarios not just the ideal ones like having enough time to grab a flashlight and having both hands available.

That’s on top of the tactics needed for that.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Yodaman the reason is simply stated (for civilians) you are never supposed to point the muzzle of the gun on anything you are not willing to destroy. The issue is startle response and matrixed vision, if you study on concealed carry shooting, combat shooting etc you run into fairly lengthy discussions on both. It is much harder to tease out because news reports don't discuss the weapon and set up, but talking with corners and crime scene investigators you find that more than a fair percentage of situations where a family member or friend is shot there has been a weapon mounted light. Now is it the cause not known, the common thread is the shooter saying I thought it was bad guy.
If you go training scenario's run in the dark (even among professionals) where you can be shot (electronically, simunition, paintball) you will shoot when the person suddenly appears in the light.

My only question to you is how often have you shot night scenarios. (they are fun) hint if you have a handheld light have a lanyard it makes reloading easier.

If you have a weapons mounted light do you leave it on, use it as a quick on quick off, have you been professionally trained in it's use?

I offer the information based on experience, and study. Remember I run a CCW shop, and my shop is inside a training establishment that trains everyone from novices, LEO and operators. Each has a different reason, all of the LEO's and Operators carry a weapons mounted light you could argue, but they all carry a hand held, and for searches you need to guess which one they use. Yep handheld. It's even in the policy documents for a number of agencies such as LAPD.

So I am good with being disagreed with I am not perfect, and my advice isn't right for everyone especially since were here on the internet and I have worked you through training to see what your thought process, experience level and problem solving are. The prevents anything I say from being 100%. I fully respect your position, and appreciate the civil way in which you approached the conversation.
__________________
www.PackinFurDefense.com Orange Counties Concealed Carry Store - Mission Viejo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2018, 5:01 PM
grantar2's Avatar
grantar2 grantar2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,493
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
Lots of people with different opinions on it as well.

I tend to lean on the side of rather have it and not need, than need and not have. I trained for many years shooting my pistol one handed with the flashlight in my other (I'm old, this was before WML's) It's totally doable, but if given the choice, I'd prefer to have a nice two handed grip on my pistol.

Glock, M&P, Sig, & HK, Beretta are the ones that come to mind first for holsters with lights. Most manufacturers will do lightbearing holsters for Surefire and Streamlight WML's at minimum.

With the smaller WML's like the Surefire XC1 and the Olight PL-Valkyrie Mini the old bulkiness of the weapon with light protruding out past the barrel is over. I know that was a deal breaker for many CCW folks ( plus the added bulk and weight on a CC.) More than 50 % of my life is spent in darkness though so for me it was a no brainer. 300 - 400 lumens are also plenty bright enough for clearing small to medium spaces .

Not gonna replace a flashlight for LE, but as I am now a parent and guardian, I often times have one hand controlling a hyper 2 year old. Sometimes both hands just aren't free in life.

Just a opinion though.
Understand each of is in a different place with different constraints. It all comes down to training, mental prep, more training. Myself I hope to not clear a room, and for the home as noted by my company name Packin' Fur Defense, I have two trained German Shepherd security dogs to handle many issues.

My concern is when the 2 year old is 16, and sneaks out or tells a friend to come over (or that boy friend girl friend thing) than can never happen to us, but the list is long.

Stay safe, train hard.
__________________
www.PackinFurDefense.com Orange Counties Concealed Carry Store - Mission Viejo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2018, 5:07 PM
grantar2's Avatar
grantar2 grantar2 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 3,493
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Now admittedly this is aimed at law enforcement not civilians. As civilians we aren't likely in a pursuit and apprehension mode. However the instruction is valid and the discussion on light use is worth listening to if just as a data point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMyLyzgeAi0

By offering this I am not suggesting you have to agree, however Travis Haley does a good job at looking at the mechanics and efficacy of tactics. If nothing else he has been there done that and has the documented proof, and background, so at least at this time its pretty good.
__________________
www.PackinFurDefense.com Orange Counties Concealed Carry Store - Mission Viejo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:10 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.