Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 07-02-2013, 1:26 PM

Default Hiking Pants

So my wife and I are getting into hiking. I got good boots, smartwool socks and a Dryfit shirt. Now I just need a decent pair of pants. Right now Im using jeans and they suck. Heavy and Hot. I dont really want shorts because I dont like walking through the bushes with exposed legs. What do you guys recommend for good hiking pants? I want something light, breathable, but strong/durable, cargo pockets, and decent price up to $65. Maybe I should get tacitcal pants at LA police gear? what do you think?
Old 07-02-2013, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Propper BDU's
Old 07-02-2013, 2:30 PM

I have a pair of hiking pants from REI that have the zipper around the knees to convert the pants to shorts. They dry really quick and are lightweight with plenty of pockets. Bought them for a backpacking trip 3 years ago. I actually wore them every time I went backpacking or hiking and they are still in good shape. You can find some decent deals on REI's outlet site.
Old 07-02-2013, 2:39 PM

Personally I hate hiking in pants. (And I have hiked a lot) I typically hike in short shorts (rugby shorts cuz they are durable and dont restrict movement) when I needed leg protection I used gaiters. that said if you're set on pants go to rei. Get some nylon material zip offs. No cotton.
Old 07-02-2013, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJDog View Post
I have a pair of hiking pants from REI that have the zipper around the knees to convert the pants to shorts. They dry really quick and are lightweight with plenty of pockets. Bought them for a backpacking trip 3 years ago. I actually wore them every time I went backpacking or hiking and they are still in good shape. You can find some decent deals on REI's outlet site.
^^^This!
I just got back from hiking the Inca Trail in Peru. 40+ miles over four days wearing two alternating pairs of REI pants. The shorts conversion was key given temps went from 35 F at dawn to 70+ F in the afternoon.

My wife and I also hike extensively in SoCal between mountains, deserts, etc; and these are my go-to. If it's too cold, a layer of poly base-layer pants fit comfortably underneath.
Old 07-02-2013, 3:04 PM

Could you guys be more specific?
I'm in the market as well and REI has several choices.
Are any of them GTG?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-02-2013, 3:39 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I was at REI and tried on a few. I liked the columbia zip offs and the REI brand. They both seemed to have their pros and cons. The nylon seems kinda thin (like they might rip easy) but everyone says they are durable so we will see. the REI ones are really baggy in the legs. i liked the Kuhl brand ones, but they were $90. bit pricey.

So I still havnt decided, but leaning towards the columbias. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 07-02-2013, 3:39 PM

I use Columbia brand pants, zip off, rip stop, cargo pockets, works for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 5:10 PM

REI Sahara pants. Jeans are the worst thing possible to hike in.

Zip offs are ok, but I prefer the full length, they are not hot, prevent sun burn and protect against plants and sticks and sharp brush that rub on your legs when hiking.

Columbia is good too. REI or Sports Chalet is where you want to go. Or theres a North Face outlet in Camarillo.
Old 07-02-2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel80 View Post
REI Sahara pants. Jeans are the worst thing possible to hike in.

Zip offs are ok, but I prefer the full length, they are not hot, prevent sun burn and protect against plants and sticks and sharp brush that rub on your legs when hiking.

Columbia is good too. REI or Sports Chalet is where you want to go. Or theres a North Face outlet in Camarillo.
Thanks for that, I was going to order the REI Sahara.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-02-2013, 6:14 PM

REI pants zip shorts too.
Old 07-02-2013, 6:53 PM

REI is anti-gun...just sayin'

At least that was the word on CGN a few years back.
Old 07-02-2013, 7:09 PM

I have the REI pants too. Gonna try them out at 3am tomorrow on my way up Mt. Whitney.
Old 07-02-2013, 8:10 PM

You want quality pants built to move in at a good price...

USGI surplus.

You're not under fire, change to shorts when you need to.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM

I'd recommend some ripstop pants

They are lightweight, resistant to snagging and tears and breathable

There's a reason it's used for first responders and acu/bdu

If you don't want to look like a weekend warrior running around the wilderness in Marpat or acu then get just a solid olive drab or tan.

Also buy American made propper or something. Chinese ripstop is made from tissue paper lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 PM

I also recommend Columbia Pants and Shirts. Other alternatives are Big 5-Hikig Pants or 5.11 pants.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Hot weather is usually my concern, so I don't mind cotton. Carhartt makes ripstop cargos in 9-10oz fabrics. That is what I do most of my hiking in.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:19 PM

5.11 Stryke Pants. Really comfortable with some stretch
Old 07-03-2013, 6:58 AM

I have some Kuhl pants in their 3rd year.................and thats not bad for me. I can speak highly of Columbia and Propper also.
Old 07-03-2013, 7:00 AM

I have REI, Columbia, and some 5.11 pants/shorts/convertibles.

The REI pants are a little baggy, but they go over your boots well to prevent any stickers, brush, or rocks getting into your socks. I like how the pant legs unzip, along the sides and top so you don't have to take your boots off convert to shorts or put them back on. They're light, packable, and REI has a great return policy. (They changed it recently to 1 year or 30 days if bought from the outlet. No questions asked return policy).

I'd also suggest getting the hiking boxer/briefs. They aren't cheap at $25 a piece, but if you're hiking long distances or decide to try backpacking they're very comfortable.
Old 07-03-2013, 9:16 AM

Pants are good as long as they are thin and lightweight - even in hot weather. They keep you cleaner and if you're hiking through brush or climbing up/down steep canyons, they will save your skin. Stay away from cotton; synthetic dries faster if it gets wet and is also lighter. This becomes really important if you get stranded somewhere overnight or you take an unplanned dip in a stream or simply want to wash them on a multi day trip. I like Columbia, The North Face, Craghoppers, REI - but make sure they are the lightest weight you can find. They are durable enough - I did 1 week trip in the Grand Canyon in April with a single pair of pants and they survived dirt, thorny bushes, and climbing up and down dry falls.
Old 07-03-2013, 4:06 PM

I also like the Columbia zip off pants. I've worn them in many scenarios including several 2-3 day hikes and a full three weeks in Italy in summer.
Old 07-03-2013, 5:05 PM

I have 5.11 pants, REI convertible pants, and Vertx Phantom pants. For summer hiking I really like the REI convertible pants so when you get to that alpine lake you can zip off and wade in. For non convertible pants, I like the Vertx Phantom LT pants. They are lightweight, gusset crotch for movement and they have articulated knees so when you climb or squat you don't need to adjust your pants. On the Vertx pants I found the area around the thigh roomier than 5.11 pants. Just remember to order vertx 1 size larger for some reason they run small.
Old 07-03-2013, 6:46 PM

Do you gtet the feeling people like the convertible pants?!?

I actually need to get myself some. Hiking in denim suuuuuuuuuuucks!!! If you're bucks down, I got some sort of exercise pants at Target that are space age fabric, along wtih the boxer briefs , shirt, and light jacket, all for around $75 or $90 , something like that.

That stuff made all the difference. It was awesome. Now I'd like to throw it in my car trunk for shtf so I'm not hiking in dang ol jeans, and get some convertible pants at REI. I don't care what they cost, they're worth it. Nothing I ever buy online ever fits, so I'll pay what it costs at the store. I know you can ship returns back, but my time is worth something as well.

Tell us how it goes!
Old 07-03-2013, 7:51 PM

I bought these from this site and really like them. Bought the wrong size initially and exchanged them without problems or additional charges.
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north...ible-pant-mens
Old 07-03-2013, 9:16 PM

I say avoid zip off legs due to durability. Look into pants that are lightweight and made of a cotton/synthetic blend. It will also depend on what type of weather you will encounter. Do some research on backpackinglight for some good ideas. Personally I always wear jogging shorts and carry thermal tights for overnighters.
Old 07-03-2013, 9:29 PM

I recommend the North Face Peak Convertible Hiking Pant, you can also remove the legs to convert into shorts. I trekked in em for 3 weeks in Asia., easily washed, dries quickly too. I recommend them.
Old 07-03-2013, 9:33 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4me View Post
I have the REI pants too. Gonna try them out at 3am tomorrow on my way up Mt. Whitney.
Good luck with that hike! Highest peak in the 48 states. Are you planning to summit and return in 1 day? I will be doing the same hike the 3rd week of Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmc2000 View Post
I have some Kuhl pants in their 3rd year.................and thats not bad for me. I can speak highly of Columbia and Propper also.
I have 2 pairs of the Kuhl and 2 pairs of the REI zipper short/pants. The REI pants are convenient, but the Kuhl pant are amazingly comfortable. Can't go wrong with either, I use the REI for warm-hot weather and the Kuhl's for cold-warm weather. YMMV
Old 07-03-2013, 9:54 PM

I've gone through many shorts over the years. My favorites have been made by Mountain Hardwear and North Face because they have been comfortable, rugged, and offer plenty of utility.

REI makes some good shorts too and they are considerably cheaper than other brands. But they aren't as rugged as the brands I mentioned. It's not as if the REI brands are cheap, but rather, the Mountain Hardwear and North Face brands are so rugged.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM

I would also recommend the "ExOfficio" brand. I own two pairs of their boxer brief underwear and they are excellent quality. Just as good if not better than under armour. I would look into their pants for moisture wicking type pants.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:38 PM

I hike in Riggs pants. They are super thick and although that may not appeal to many people I go off trail a lot and have gone through many pairs of thinner rei-type pants. It all depends on your needs.
Currently enjoying my time as a park photographer in Yosemite
Old 07-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Tagged for later
Old 07-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
I would also recommend the "ExOfficio" brand. I own two pairs of their boxer brief underwear and they are excellent quality. Just as good if not better than under armour. I would look into their pants for moisture wicking type pants.
+1 on the ExOfficios. Quick dry and comfortable.
Old 07-05-2013, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
I want something light, breathable, but strong/durable, cargo pockets, and decent price up to $65. Maybe I should get tacitcal pants at LA police gear?
The BDUs from LA Tactical are fine for hiking, be careful on the sizing. You can also find same/similar at milsurp shops, if you want to try on before you buy.

A lightweight ripstop fabric is what you want, avoid cotton if you'll get wet.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM

BDU pants are a bad idea for hiking, they are heavy and even in "magic" polyester and cotton blends end up ripping because they do not flex. I have torn out two pairs of 5.11 pants, one cotton and one polyester/cotton. I also ripped up a pair of Proppers the first day out (not to go on a rant but I hate Propper, their stuff is either too heavy/hot or to light and lacks durability).

I've been going hiking, backpacking, and canyoneering for years and have spent days out in remote areas where there are no trails and no chance of being found. After trying the others, I finally settled on Under Armour Tactical pants. They are 100% nylon and are the only pants I haven't had to throw away. They stretch instead of ripping and dry faster than cotton and polyester while being lighter. They are right in your price range and and can easily be tucked in or out of your boots depending on the tick/poison oak situation. The cargo pockets on the sides are somewhat useless but that is the only thing I can fault them on. I would never wear them as tactical pants but they are the best hikers I have ever handled.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
I have 2 pairs of the Kuhl and 2 pairs of the REI zipper short/pants. The REI pants are convenient, but the Kuhl pant are amazingly comfortable. Can't go wrong with either, I use the REI for warm-hot weather and the Kuhl's for cold-warm weather. YMMV
+1 on Kuhl. I have the "Renegade" pants as well as the shorts. The material they use for that style is a durable, breathable, quick-drying stretchy fabric that does not restrict your motion or give you swamp-@$$ in any way/shape/form. They have plenty of useful pockets too. I would buy another pair of pants or shorts in the same fabric anytime.
Old 07-05-2013, 1:50 PM

Buy local. http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/App...nts-And-Shorts
Old 07-05-2013, 2:33 PM

I've had good luck with Arc'teryx shorts and pants. You can get them at REI, backcountry, moosejaw, etc. A bit pricey but comfortable.
Old 07-07-2013, 5:06 PM

why so many people recommending tactical pants? Because this is a firearm forum???

Purchase pants that are manufactured for their purpose. If you are hiking, I suggest buying pants that are designed by outdoor clothing companies (i.e. North Face, Columbia, REI, Patagoina, Sierra Designs, Arc'teryx, ExOfficio, etc etc etc) These brands have been focusing, researching and perfecting many amazing technical fabrics, not TACTICAL cargo pants.

Cotton is the worst outdoor fabric, even cotton blend. It has hollow fibers, is very heavy, gets even heavier when wet and doesn't wick sweat well. Stick to synthetic fabrics for hiking, camping and backpacking that includes socks, underwear and shirts.

Only real natural fabrics that are good outdoors are wool (merino specifically) or leather (for boots) and goose down (for jacket and sleeping bag insulation)

camouflage cargo pants look awesome, and are sturdy and feel good, but they don't really have a place on the trail.

If you're on a budget check out this site and save up to 70% all types of outdoor related gear and clothing: http://www.steepandcheap.com/steepcheap/gear-cache
Old 07-07-2013, 5:11 PM

^^^ +1