Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-10-2009, 5:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Thinking of pursuing a career

I am 19 years old and I have been wanting a career in law enforcement, so excuse me if I have a lot of questions. My questions are for you LEOs or others knowledgeable on the subject. Well I have tried to look up what is required, but its all kind of vague. Which college classes should I take if I want to become a sheriff or city cop? I would take these at my local J.C. (contra costa). How many credits would I need? And finally if I did everything correctly without failing any classes how long should it take to complete the necessary credits?
Old 04-10-2009, 5:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Go to school and bulk up on credits until you're 21.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-10-2009, 5:35 PM

Finish school dude. This job isn't going anywhere. You can major in just about anything but learn to write. Putting facts on paper is what puts people behind bars.
Old 04-10-2009, 6:02 PM
In Memoriam

Work on a degree, it doesn't have to be criminal justice.

Get a job and keep it, don't job hop around. If you have one ****ty job for a few years rather then multiple jobs.

Keep your record clean and traffic / vehicle citations to a minimum.

Don't get tattoo's that are racist or offensive in anyway. Also don't have tattoo's that are visible.

Have good credit when you apply.

Getting a PC-832 and firearm cert wouldn't hurt either.

Many police departments also have CADET programs. Check with your local PD and SO to see if they will let you be a CADET while your in school. Basically you'll get paid 10-12 dollars an hour to do basic stuff around the station like get coffee, help file paperwork, clean cars etc.

If you have the cash you can also pay your way through an academy without actually being hired by a department. Once you graduate with full post, a lot of smaller departments will hire you, because they don't have to sponsor you through the academy.
Old 04-10-2009, 8:01 PM

I would strongly recommend a degree in anything other than Criminal Justice. It is a worthless and meaningless degree in the LEO field. Business, English, anything involving writing is much better.
Old 04-10-2009, 8:02 PM
Jonathan Doe

Just finish up the school in any major. You DON'T have to study criminal justice or any related subject. English major or literature type may help, because you can write good reports and write good search warrants. Stay clean and exercise and run a lot.
Old 04-11-2009, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Bachelors required, or will an Associates do. I have one class, one lab and my Associates in Electronics is done.

Might be forced to make a career change soon, this is first on the list of new employers.
Old 04-11-2009, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

one of my RTO's went through when he was 18 and was hired as a reserve..... worked the jail, got a degree, and is where he is now...why not make good money while you are going through school??? plus some departments even pay tuition. I say go now... I wish I would have!
Old 04-12-2009, 9:15 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
Bachelors required, or will an Associates do. I have one class, one lab and my Associates in Electronics is done.

Might be forced to make a career change soon, this is first on the list of new employers.

Associates is fine for local, but not really good enough for federal. LE isn't a soon career choice though, backyard investigations take months and months. If you applied today, you'd have an academy date in about a year.
Old 04-12-2009, 9:21 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are in school, stay with it until you have at least an Associate's. Then start taking some upper division units at a CSU, or go full time if you can afford it, to show that you understand that education is important and that you are pursuing it.

While an Administration of Justice degree isn't worthless, it isn't necessarily the best choice. My Associates was in AJ back when it meant more (as in lots of guys were only high school grads), the business degree came later. I know cops that have Bachelors in history, lit, economics, you name it. Generally speaking a degree in Business Administration or Public Administration will take you farther, especially if you never land the dream and have to go out and actually work for a living.

Keep your record clean... a ticket or two isn't a big thing. Having been named on a protective order will be a big thing. Credit rating is, actually, very important and not just in law enforcement. I'm a hiring manager at the company I work for now and I've had to pass on a lot of otherwise qualified candidates that the background check has shown financial issues. Having financial issues and / or crummy credit shows irresponsibility and no one wants to give a firearm and the authority to use it to someone who looks irresponsible.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-12-2009, 9:41 AM
Calguns Addict

soon is about two years out. I always try to have at least a couple of contingency plans.

ETA: I have a security clearance... bad credit will get it pulled, so I am probably fine on that too.

Thanks for all the information guys.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:16 AM

some other things to consider, dont illegally download music or movies, if underage, dont drink alcoholic beverages until you are of age, dont drink n drive ever, stay away from all drugs including marijuana. Stay away from any law breaking and/or associating with those that do. if you have stolen things, make restitution to those that you took from, be up front in any interviews, dress for the interviews in a suit and tie, be clean shaven, make eye contact, speak clearly, and try to do something with the agency you want to get employed at (cadet if you are under 21, volunteer if you are of age) make positive contacts, they will go a great distance at getting your foot in the door.
Old 04-12-2009, 5:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Keep going to school to work for some sort of degree, AA, BA etc. That shows maturity and commitment on your part which is a good thing in all life's endeavors.

I also recommend doing a few ride alongs with your local PDs/agencies. That experience will definitely give you the answer if a career in LE is your thing!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I agree with everyone about staying in school. No matter how physically fit you are, the written exams will do you in if you haven't gotten a grasp of the English language.

Public speaking practice wouldn't hurt either when it comes to the oral interviews either.

Best of luck to you!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red2sniper View Post
stay away from all drugs including marijuana.
Pay attention to this! It's what got me booted from the eval process for San Jose PD, even though it'd been 15 years since I'd touched anything stronger than alcohol.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike View Post
Pay attention to this! It's what got me booted from the eval process for San Jose PD, even though it'd been 15 years since I'd touched anything stronger than alcohol.
I heard San Jose was really strict about that one. I would also suggest getting a couple courses on World Religion. My friend who went through the oral boards with Oakland was asked quite a few questions in that regard. 'What if....' situations mostly.
Old 04-14-2009, 2:02 PM
Banned

What do you guys think about the Citizen Police Academies that many organizations seem to offer. Are they worth the time, or a waste of time?

The town I live and work in is offering one for residents only, but the department isn't known for hiring off the streets, only lateral transfers. Would it be a good way to network and learn more about what life as an officer is like, or is that not the design of the program.
Old 04-16-2009, 8:09 AM

major in anything but criminal justice, just get a minor in CJ and you're good. this way if you get hurt on the job (medical retirement BS happens quit a bit due to legal liability considerations) or after a couple of years and decide that law enforcement is not for you then you still have options. If you major in CJ then it'll be hard to find a job outside the LE circle.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM

What all does the background check entail? Also wondering why it takes so long. I once had a job that required a FBI background check and that was done in less then 2 weeks.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:20 PM

learn a second language. spanish would seem like a good choice in CA.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratgin View Post
What all does the background check entail? Also wondering why it takes so long. I once had a job that required a FBI background check and that was done in less then 2 weeks.
Have a look at the POST background form and that pretty much tells you what it entails, which is just about everything. A good background investigation can be done in 40-60 man hours, plus report writing time, bearing in mind that yours is very likely not the only background the investigator is working on. The FBI "backgorund check" was running your prints and maybe a few phone calls. If it was a full on, pre-employment or heightened security clearance for the bureau or another federal agency they'd have been at it longer.

Local agencies tend to drag the backgrounds out. I think it is, in part, to weed out the impatient. I am acquainted with working LEOs who spent anywhere from 6-14 months waiting on an agency to get the background done and make up their mind. My last LEO job took only a month for everything, but it was for a tiny agency and the chief knew me.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Remember is not just a job it is a life style.
Old 04-19-2009, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

I would recommend you take college classes. Foreign language and English classes will be of great assistance. I recommend you try and get 60 semester units at least.

You can also do some time in the military but I would recommend you stay away from infantry, armor, and artillery.
Old 04-19-2009, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

curious, why? I am an Avionics Tech, but it seems to me that anybody with military experience would be good, because (mostly) they are conditioned to follow orders as issued instead of questioning every little thing.
Old 04-19-2009, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermit315 View Post
curious, why? I am an Avionics Tech, but it seems to me that anybody with military experience would be good, because (mostly) they are conditioned to follow orders as issued instead of questioning every little thing.
They don't seem to get hired. Outside of special forces there are not many who were infantry that make it. Maybe it has more to do with how the military selects people.

Does'nt mean the ones who were hired were not in combat because many were.
Old 04-20-2009, 4:15 PM

Not going to discourage you from going to school. BUT I didn't have the chance to nor the money to go to school. The department did not care about me not having any college experience. Once you get hired and get through FTO, start school, online, nights whatever it takes. Its the ONLY way to promote.
Old 04-20-2009, 8:25 PM

Cops and Firemen have one thing in common. They both want to be Firemen. Both are honorable, good luck.
Old 04-20-2009, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

haha, but I am already a fireman, and want to be a cop.....

every Sailor is a Firefighter, just like every Marine is a Rifleman.
Old 04-23-2009, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Cops and Firemen have one thing in common. They both want to be Firemen. Both are honorable, good luck.
Actually the Lord made cops so firefighters would have someone to look up to. Eheheheh......

The user formerly known as "han_cholo"
Old 04-23-2009, 1:07 PM

A heck of a lot of my le friends were in military service before seeking LE employment:usmc,usaf,usa,cg or usn.When I worked in 29 palms many marines were involved as reserve deputies,search and rescue or posse members who completed their enlistments or retired from pmo or nis were hired by several le agencies:san bernardino county sheriffs dept,chp,rr police,city police,marshalls office,fire depts,etc.
Old 04-23-2009, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Actually the Lord made cops so firefighters would have someone to look up to. Eheheheh......
Old 04-23-2009, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Remember is not just a job it is a life style.
Its a job.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.