Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-13-2011, 5:12 PM

Default How not to use Epoxy to block a 30rd magazine!

OK so after much reading of different opinions on how to block a magazine, I decided with all my newb awesomeness to epoxy my magpul 30 rounder with a block.

So first mistake, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS TWICE for the epoxy (in my case I was using Loctite quick epoxy). Even though is says pull back the syringe before removing snap cap BE PREPARED for a huge glop of the stuff to come pouring out anyways!

Second mistake, don't attempt to do this indoors! The smell is horrific! Serves me right for deciding it was too hot outside so I would sit in my air conditioned house and do it!

Third mistake, when they say use rubbing alcohol to remove any excess spillage what they really mean to say is have a FRIKKEN GALLON of it nearby! The stuff is hard to clean up with just alcohol pads!

Fourth mistake, have someone nearby to help when so when the spills occur so you don't get epoxy all over the place trying to get the floor plate on, getting into the bathroom to get your rubbing alcohol, and therefore leaving a little epoxy on every door handle you had to open!

Fifth and final mistake was deciding to "DIY"! Most of the time I'm very handy doing things, but ya know if it involves liquid I'm going to screw it up! Just like making pancakes I always mess up the batter!

Outcome: I have a very shiny blocked Pmag on the bottom (and up the sides). I'm sure everyone is going to laugh at me when they see it tomorrow on the range!

Old 08-13-2011, 5:15 PM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

I think that is why I am afraid to epoxy bed a rifle. I am afraid I may glue the rifle to myself.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor
Old 08-13-2011, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762cavalier View Post

I think that is why I am afraid to epoxy bed a rifle. I am afraid I may glue the rifle to myself.
That crossed my mind when I was trying to slip the floor plate back on because the instructions say "sets quickly in 40 seconds, total drying time 5 mins" I was wondering how the ER staff at Sutter Davis would react to me coming in to have an AR15 magazine floor plate removed from being stuck to my hand?

Anyways they lied about that also! It's still sticky after 2 hours now. So much for quick drying epoxy! And well if my magazine is ever stolen and found by an LEA they will be able to track it back to my fingerprints!

Old 08-13-2011, 5:39 PM
No longer in Business
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellshocker66 View Post
Outcome: I have a very shiny blocked Pmag on the bottom (and up the sides). I'm sure everyone is going to laugh at me when they see it tomorrow on the range!
Nah, complete the look. Take that PMAG out to your driveway. Step on it and grind the body into the gravel. It'll scuff down those shiny areas and make it look like it's seen some real action.
Old 08-13-2011, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

LOL! Looks like you found out how to use epoxy the hard way :P. Luckily my pop showed me how to use it when I was young and I didn't have to make the mistakes myself.

Which of Loctite's epoxies did you use? I almost always use the 5 minute stuff, and for small applications it's usually fairly solid in 15 minutes and rock hard in an hour or so. BUT! It takes a full 24 hour period for any epoxy to set completely. So treat it as such.
As for removing it from your fingers, I've never really found anything that takes it off really well, but acetone does an okay job. I'd imagine brake cleaner or some carb cleaner should take it off just as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Or it didn't happen.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 08-13-2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG View Post

Or it didn't happen.
Did you want me to grab my camera while I had epoxy all over my hands to take a picture?

LOL I will see if I can get one of my shiny pmag with fingerprint marks all in it!

EDIT: Photos are a little hard to see but you can make out the shiny areas. My fingerprints I can see with my eye didn't show up on the photos

Last edited by Shellshocker66; 08-13-2011 at 6:01 PM.. Reason: pictures added!
Old 08-13-2011, 5:56 PM

LMAO!
Old 08-13-2011, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

if i do the same, is it easily removable for when i'm in a free state?
or is there some other recommendations for 'reversible' applications
Old 08-13-2011, 6:27 PM

Depends you you epoxy it..if you epoxy the spring plate to the body plate, all you have to do is replace those plates for $5 or so a pack of plates. If the body and plate are epoxied, then it isn't worth it.

Pinning it is the best way to go if you want to reverse the process.
Old 08-13-2011, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice!
Old 08-13-2011, 7:31 PM

Doesn't look too bad, maybe you can spray it with some krylon in flat black.
I hate the fact that we have to make 10/30 mags permanent for BB'ed gun.. that really sucks!

I have to reserve a few PMAGs as rebuild kits just for out of state purposes.
I am going use 10rd mags from now on, no more dealing with CA bull****..
Old 08-13-2011, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
OK so after much reading of different opinions on how to block a magazine, I decided with all my newb awesomeness to epoxy my magpul 30 rounder with a block.

So first mistake, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS TWICE for the epoxy (in my case I was using Loctite quick epoxy). Even though is says pull back the syringe before removing snap cap BE PREPARED for a huge glop of the stuff to come pouring out anyways!

Second mistake, don't attempt to do this indoors! The smell is horrific! Serves me right for deciding it was too hot outside so I would sit in my air conditioned house and do it!

Third mistake, when they say use rubbing alcohol to remove any excess spillage what they really mean to say is have a FRIKKEN GALLON of it nearby! The stuff is hard to clean up with just alcohol pads!

Fourth mistake, have someone nearby to help when so when the spills occur so you don't get epoxy all over the place trying to get the floor plate on, getting into the bathroom to get your rubbing alcohol, and therefore leaving a little epoxy on every door handle you had to open!

Fifth and final mistake was deciding to "DIY"! Most of the time I'm very handy doing things, but ya know if it involves liquid I'm going to screw it up! Just like making pancakes I always mess up the batter!

I imagine the scene being like the opening to an infomercial where they show someone being unreasonably clumsy doing some simple task.
Old 08-13-2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI304 View Post
Doesn't look too bad, maybe you can spray it with some krylon in flat black.
I hate the fact that we have to make 10/30 mags permanent for BB'ed gun.. that really sucks!

I have to reserve a few PMAGs as rebuild kits just for out of state purposes.
I am going use 10rd mags from now on, no more dealing with CA bull****..
Yeah the photos are just not showing it as bad as it really is. It's pretty much "amateur hour" in real life with fingerprint smudges all in it.

Knowing my luck tomorrow morning I will get up to test it and even with all that extra epoxy I inadvertently applied, the floor plate will pop off and the spring will fly out! IF that happens I'm gonna be showing off my wonderful sledge hammer skills on it!

If all goes well as it should, well then I will take that advice to go drag it in the gravel and scuff it up really good so it looks really used!

Old 08-13-2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Just do what I always did with my new brush nomex..... throw some dirt at it so I wasn't so yellow.

My second season I had BRAND new in the bag stuff issued to me. I pulled it out of the bad an pushed it around on the floor of the engine bay...... I got a couple of puzzled looks. I just dont think that crew understood me. LOL
Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
let me ask you something, if it is "reversible" and/or "easily removable", would you think it is "permanent" enough for the purpose of the law?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
if it is not permanent, then you have a high cap magazine. If you stick it in a BB rifle, you have an AW.

This is to my understanding of the law.

5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.
Old 08-14-2011, 1:08 AM
The Laser Guy (Vendor/Retailer)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

You live, and you learn. I have learned to stay far away from epoxy as well.

We offer custom laser engraving services on all metals, most polymers, and many plastics. For more info, send me a PM, or click one of the links below:

:: Visit us on Facebook : Visit Our Website : Follow us on Twitter ::

Questions? Call us at (844)777-7324!
-----
"Good things come to those who wait; Great things come to those who don't." -Self

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true." -Bodhi
Old 08-14-2011, 1:51 AM
Veteran Member

Elmers white school glue ftw

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 08-14-2011, 2:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakid88 View Post
if it is not permanent, then you have a high cap magazine. If you stick it in a BB rifle, you have an AW.

This is to my understanding of the law.
yes, but if you have to open the magazine the remove the block, YOU NO LONGER HAVE A MAGAZINE AT THAT POINT! Its a parts kit AGAIN!

If all you have is an external block that you can simply, lets say: - unscrew -
then you have a problem

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 08-14-2011, 3:55 AM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lol. Great read, OP.

I hate epoxy, too. However, in this case, I think that the epoxy had some hate for you as well.

Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 08-14-2011, 4:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

2 words for you....Pop Rivets.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 08-14-2011, 6:09 AM

I think we all learn the hardway when working with quick drying glues. I have ruined many pairs of jeans and shirts (and even the carpet) when first opening a glue bottle or from accidental drips.

PS - I suspect the reason your epoxy took so long to cure was because you used so much. A small bead is all thats required. If it oozes from the seams then its too much. You just want to see it barely "emerge" from the seams and then if there is any excess, it gets wiped by a paper towl dipped in your wife's nail polish (aka acetone).
Old 08-14-2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
yes, but if you have to open the magazine the remove the block, YOU NO LONGER HAVE A MAGAZINE AT THAT POINT! Its a parts kit AGAIN!

then you have a problem
How strong is this? has this been cleared by some LEA beforem

also,

Does a magazine.limiter qualify for.this?

to OP:
next time.buy from paralax tactical, they have an ad here on calguns, they sell pmags already pimned and epoxied.for.like $24.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member

LOL

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 08-15-2011, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post

then you have a problem
Hmm.. I get your point. This makes sense! however we do live in a state with laws and regulations that doesn't have to make any sense what so ever.
Old 08-15-2011, 1:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron View Post
How strong is this? has this been cleared by some LEA beforem

also,

Does a magazine.limiter qualify for.this?

to OP:
next time.buy from paralax tactical, they have an ad here on calguns, they sell pmags already pimned and epoxied.for.like $24.
its clear enough that you can legally buy 10+ rd mags if they are in parts.
parts kit does not equal hi cap.
go from there

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 08-15-2011, 2:19 PM

"IF that happens I'm gonna be showing off my wonderful sledge hammer skills on it!"

I had one of those really crappy days today, and needed a good laugh! This did it. Thanks for the laugh and have a good range day.
Rest In Peace, Officers Singh, Corona, O'Sullivan, Moye Jr. ,Ishmael, Gutzwiller, Gibson, Inn, Benedetti, Vaca, Lenehan, Alvarado, Vella, Arroyos, Paredes, Santana, Cordero, Carrasco Jr, Clinkunbroomer, Le.
Old 08-15-2011, 2:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hahah..good one I needed that...I made many mistakes too bro... we learn then move on. Hey at least you know, right?
Old 08-15-2011, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
Nah, complete the look. Take that PMAG out to your driveway. Step on it and grind the body into the gravel. It'll scuff down those shiny areas and make it look like it's seen some real action.
mwahahaha what he said.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 08-15-2011, 5:33 PM

Unless you are in a rush the slow setting stuff works fine.

it's going to sit assembled anyway why rush it.
Old 08-16-2011, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

i'm still not sure what the answer is here
can i simply put in the pmag 10/30 block, put some epoxy on the baseplate, and be legal?
do i even need to glue it?

i would like to make it reversible for when out of state, is that even possible, if so, how
Old 08-16-2011, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The "wet look" is in style.
Old 08-16-2011, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

LOL, awesome. maybe just rattle can that thing flat black.
Old 08-16-2011, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

That's awesome, thanks for sharing your story.

Maybe it's time to give your mag a new paint job.
Old 08-17-2011, 1:40 AM

Quote:
i'm still not sure what the answer is here
can i simply put in the pmag 10/30 block, put some epoxy on the baseplate, and be legal?
do i even need to glue it?

i would like to make it reversible for when out of state, is that even possible, if so, how
A bit off topic here but..
I asked a few people about this, everyone has a different opinion. Mr. Plink has a good point. Technically having a block in the magazine would limit it's capacity, disassembling the magazine makes it a rebuild kit. So what is the point of making it permanent with a pin or epoxy? Sounds very simple, but a lot of people I talk to disagree with this.

I am going with the permanent option, better safe then sorry. It all comes down to money and time..
Getting into trouble with the law is expensive and time consuming. Doesn't matter if you are right, it still will cost you a crap load of money and time just to fight some legal bullcrap. Most of us just don't have the money or the time to be a test case..

PMAGs are cheap, legal fees are expensive. Not worth it, attorney fees can buy you a few ARs and a garage full of PMAGs.

Hope that is a good answer

Last edited by CSI304; 08-17-2011 at 1:43 AM..
Old 08-17-2011, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Personally I don't glue mine. The mag can not be modified to except more than 10 rounds unless you take it apart. When you take off that base plate you no long have a mag under cali law its just a hand full of parts now. If you assemble without the block THEN you have a problem.

I've given up trying to convince people of this. Some people just don't want to risk it so they glue the plate on. To each his own, do what make you happy and feel safe.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Did you want me to grab my camera while I had epoxy all over my hands to take a picture?
It took you a while to get your keyboard and mouse unstuck from your hands, didn't it?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Splat View Post
Personally I don't glue mine. The mag can not be modified to except more than 10 rounds unless you take it apart. When you take off that base plate you no long have a mag under cali law its just a hand full of parts now. If you assemble without the block THEN you have a problem.

I've given up trying to convince people of this. Some people just don't want to risk it so they glue the plate on. To each his own, do what make you happy and feel safe.
I agree with you in principle. I just don't think most cops and DA's do (or they might, but just don't care and are more interested in their arrest/conviction numbers) and not willing to really risk it myself.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14