Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I volunteer to delete any marketplace thread that doesn't list a location in the title. It is a waste of time to open a thread, read through the glowing review of what is being sold only to learn that it is in another part of the state. If we can't break up the marketplace into northern/southern, then we should do at least this. I can't count how many times i have been looking for something, thought I found it only to see it is 9 hours from me.
Old 01-17-2011, 4:58 PM

I may be the only one who thought the last revision was great. It sure made the marketplace less chaotic as far as I can see. The calendar day bumping makes a lot of sense as an evolutionary change. I can't imagine what a pain it is to try and keep track of 24 hour bumps.

What worries me is #11. I really think this is a pointless rule. Yes, sometimes it's really hard to resist a "GLWS" post but it adds zero value to the original post. A "great deal" post is so subjective. A bargain to Joe could be a ripoff to Jack.

Change the calendar day bumping rule and leave the rest as-is. My $0.02.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

It would be nice to separate the market place like craiglist

bakersfield
chico
fresno / madera
gold country
hanford-corcoran
humboldt county
imperial county
inland empire
los angeles
mendocino county
merced
modesto
monterey bay
orange county
palm springs
redding
sacramento
san diego
san francisco bay area
san luis obispo
santa barbara
santa maria
siskiyou county
stockton
susanville
ventura county
visalia-tulare
yuba-sutter

Or atleast Norcal and Socal
Old 01-18-2011, 7:02 AM

Some counties in CA are larger in square mile area than CT, MA, and RI combined. Listing a city as a location should be an absolute minimum requirement IMHO. It would be a gigantic improvement to have a city listed in the title of any marketplace listing. As soon as postings without location listings are deleted by mods, the frustration will continue. People catch on fast.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM

I greatly dislike most of the revision to the rules but I'll get in to that some other time if at all. I've stated before that simply not having posts in the marketplace count toward post count may help eliminate some problems. Any reasons that can't happen?

I kind of take it like this, when life hands you lemons make lemonade. I hate wading thru 7+ pages of mostly pm sent and shills a day and few actual new posts of new guns and ammo for sale but while people are doing that I am busy looking for deals.

I think many do not have the time or energy to wade thru all the shilling and such and when you combine that with things like guns and ammo being in more remote areas and/or in poorly written sale posts jumbled together thats where I find the better deals first sometimes.

So keep it up with the shills and pm/offer sents, thanks for the help at times

Also I was wondering when the new rule revisions will be announced on the actual sale forums? Why is a mod continuing to bump the sticky thread asking new members to follow the now old rules which many never followed in the first place?

Last edited by Khram; 01-18-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 8:00 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

"What worries me is #11. I really think this is a pointless rule. Yes, sometimes it's really hard to resist a "GLWS" post but it adds zero value to the original post. A "great deal" post is so subjective. A bargain to Joe could be a ripoff to Jack."

But this is precisely why CG's for-sale forums are better than any of the other ones out there. With the relaxtion of the commenting rules, there's a sense of community again which is truly what sets the FS section apart from anything else.
Old 01-26-2011, 1:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike82 View Post
But this is precisely why CG's for-sale forums are better than any of the other ones out there. With the relaxtion of the commenting rules, there's a sense of community again which is truly what sets the FS section apart from anything else.
No, that is why the for sale section sucks. Shilling offers a sense of community? That's laugh inducing.

"Good luck with the sale"

Yeah, I can just feel the brotherly love. Text templates really bring out the best of what CGN has to offer. Shilling does nothing to promote a community. If shilling is allowed, so should 'thread crapping'. Shilling is thread crapping that is advantageous for the seller, given it is entirely subjective.

Adding information about a particular piece is one thing, such as "Hey, I ran the serial number of your Garand for sale and it places the date of production between..." or "The arsenal that made that K98 is..." but "great seller" does nothing. There is an iTrader rating for a reason. I don't know why the administration gave in on this.

Last edited by FinnFTW; 01-26-2011 at 1:50 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 11:51 AM

I try to adhere to the market place rules. I know it's a privilege to be able to sell my goods on this site.
That said, I have new post that is about 12 hours old and can be found all the way back on page five now. If there are legitimate 24 hr bumps and new posts in front of mine, I am okay with it. BUT when you get a tool like this guy that bumps multiple times a day, it starts to get irritating.

Sure, I would like to bump my post numbers so I can become a calgun addict, but not by breaking the rules.

Last edited by 69Mach1; 02-01-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Old 02-01-2011, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Put back in the Thread Rating feature.

A seller or buyer who backs out on an agreed-upon deal should be able to receive negative iTrader feedback.
why, i have had people back out of a deal and it got sold just a day later big deal.
If he was a "no show" then I agree with the negative feedback, although not for someone who backs out while still PM ing. I would think maybe a 24 hr grace period then if he backs out after, then it's all good for the feedback. 24 hrs is ALOT of time to figure out if you have the funds or not.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
24 hrs is ALOT of time to figure out if you have the funds or not.
An infinite amount of time before sending "I'll take it" is even longer.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 02-22-2011, 2:43 PM

When are these new rules being implemented? Also I was wondering if in new or old rules if members correcting other members in posts is allowed?

I mean like when someone puts a want to buy post in sales forum and another non mod puts "wrong section" or scolds them in some other way.

It's so annoying, it bumps the offending thread to the top and why can't they just use the report button if it bothers them so much?

I never understood why some members love being self appointed moderators in that regard.
Old 04-04-2011, 7:47 AM

How about making sellers give a better estimated ship date on group orders. No reason for 2-4 weeks to actually turn out to be 9 weeks.
Old 04-05-2011, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Please require city to be listed. County is too vague and SoCal or NorCal could cover 8000 square miles each, easily.

NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 04-03-2012, 9:04 PM

Rather than having thousands of posts in a thread with location in title, would it be possible to divide the broad category into sub-categories (especially for those who can't/don't want to ship?)

For example, here's a chart I made dividing California into tangible driving distances:

Granted, there's those that live on the border of each division but other ways of diving the state actually increased those odds.

Just an idea. I thought maybe it would increase productivity and perhaps speed up sales by narrowing the area of interests.
Old 04-04-2012, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

You can't always require county, as mentioned above, this can end up being huge.
Breaking it up into the zones above won't work, because one person may be on the border and may easily be able to drive to another zone, and another person maybe in the west of the zone and the other in the east, which is too far to drive.
City would be better, but living in socal myself, city doesn't do much because I might drive through ten different cities to go to a PPT.
->The BEST solution, would just be a requirement to give some sort of indicator on location in the title, with this indicator being suited toward that person's location. Location indicators for socal won't work the same way as they do somewhere else.
Examples:
If you are in Bakersifeld, say "Bakersfield"
If you are in socal, say "LA/OC", or "OC/IE"
If you in east bay, say "east bay."
People in different regions will [should] know how to specify their particular region within a reasonable driving distance so other locals will understand.
Now, that said, I am generally opposed to breaking out into different forums, as I'd drive quite a distance for the right thing.
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGN Staff View Post
5) Back to the Top (BTT) is allowed once per calendar day per PST/PDT.
'Calendar Day' refers to the 24 hour period described as 'MM/DD/YYYY' in the Pacific time zone.
This rule also encompasses all the other methods used to surreptitiously "bump" a thread sooner than allowed. Clever 'sales comments' and addendum's that can easily be added to the original post are just some examples. New posts that add content such as pictures or additional information will be considered as a "BTT". The time of last BTT is based on the last post by the original poster. Answers to posted material questions regarding the item may be posted in the thread prior to the next calendar day. Deleting your own BTT post and re-bumping your thread within the same calendar day may result in your thread being locked or deleted.
good riddance to the stupid 24 hours rule. i kept it to myself out of fear of moderators retaliating against me, but that 24 hour rule really pissed me off. once per calendar day is alot more fair and easier to enforce.

Old 06-21-2012, 1:15 AM

Be honest and transparent, simple as that!