Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-17-2009, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
If you drink the kool aid with a grain of salt you should be a happy camper. My G19 is not my most reliable handgun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
What is?
Yes, please elaborate...

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-17-2009, 2:47 PM
In Memoriam

Torture tests

http://www.theprepared.com/index.php...ask=view&id=90

Its the gun I hate to love
Old 11-17-2009, 2:53 PM

The Glock is a great gun with a track record to back it up. Just dont limp wrist it..
Old 11-17-2009, 3:04 PM

i had maybe 3 fte when i first got a g17 all in the same box of blazer brass...
but after that never had 1 problem... (ive put dozens of boxes of blazer brass through it by the way)

i would trust it 100%

Last edited by hellraiser; 11-17-2009 at 3:07 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
...as long as you re-assemble the right way.

hahhaha hey man. 1st detail strip. LOL.
Old 11-17-2009, 3:09 PM

Never had a problem with mine even when it was super dirty; cover in dust, dirt or shooting deposits.

Of course I had read about the kB! on the Glocks but I think there are better ways around that.

Only repair or rather replacement part I have had to install was on a G23 that had thousands of rounds through it. Needed a new extractor. Wasn't even one of my Glocks but a friend of mine. Part was cheap and replacement was super easy.
Old 11-17-2009, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08duramax View Post
i personally hate the glock. however, they are extremely reliable and well built. just not my preference

This^ plus the versatility of mounting a side front and rear sights.
Old 11-17-2009, 3:22 PM

Default Glock parts

like every other pistol take care of it and it will take care of you. also everything breaks. I have had them break just like evry other pistol if you use them enough..................
Old 11-17-2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old and wary View Post
like every other pistol take care of it and it will take care of you. also everything breaks. I have had them break just like evry other pistol if you use them enough..................
i've broken the slide on my glock 17. this gave me an excuse to replace it with a caspian.

Bruce Lee
Old 11-17-2009, 3:47 PM

The glock can be suceptable to bad magazines and bad ammunition. So in my opinion the ammunition and magazines are your weakest link.
Old 11-17-2009, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

CZ-75 and colt 1911, My g19's had a few minor hiccups the first couple of range trips, since then trouble free. If it now goes a few thousand rounds without a hiccup I'll consider it even with my kimber in the reliability dept.

Quote:
What is?
Old 11-17-2009, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_77 View Post
ammunition and magazines are your weakest link.
That is true sir.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:00 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
CZ-75 and colt 1911, My g19's had a few minor hiccups the first couple of range trips, since then trouble free. If it now goes a few thousand rounds without a hiccup I'll consider it even with my kimber in the reliability dept.
Thank you.

Now can anyone tell me what a Kb! is?
Old 11-17-2009, 4:05 PM
Jonathan Doe

I have a Glock 17. I have shot Winchester SXT, Winclean, and Federal FMJ without any problem. The accuracy is as good as any other 9mm Luger caliber pistols I have.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Thank you.

Now can anyone tell me what a Kb! is?
Kaboom. There are some cases of .40s&w Glocks exploding due to the high pressures of the round and the lack of a fully-supported chamber in the Glock barrel. An issue that's way overblown, IMHO, and a non-issue w/ the Glock 9mm's.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:19 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
Kaboom. There are some cases of .40s&w Glocks exploding due to the high pressures of the round and the lack of a fully-supported chamber in the Glock barrel. An issue that's way overblown, IMHO, and a non-issue w/ the Glock 9mm's.
An exploding gun can be an important factor in reliability and durability ratings.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:39 PM

I wish I could have that tenifer process on all my guns. Hell, I wish My truck had it too. The toughest finish I've seen. I've beat my G22 down six ways to sunday with thousands of rounds and no problems. Maybe that's why I also carry it every day...hmmm. Yup. Definitely not the prettiest gun but she will always do the trick. After all, isn't that what you want out of a fighting gun?

Glocks are like Darth Vader dressed as Hello Kitty. They sit there looking all plasticky and harmless and when it's time to use the force, the Evil Dark Lord comes out and rules the galaxy.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
An exploding gun can be an important factor in reliability and durability ratings.
You can google some thread about KB. KB is not a Glock only issue and it's a topic which had been debate to death. The bottom line is, if you use quality standard ammo you will be fine with any gun. And if you like overload your ammo, you can kb any thing including a Glock.

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.
Old 11-17-2009, 4:49 PM

I own 4; a 20, 21, 22, & 23. All are accurate and reliable.
The 23 had the top half of the extractor hook break off (don't know how long it was like that) and still ran fine. I noticed it when I finally cleaned it. A cheap and easy fix, too. YMMV.
Old 11-17-2009, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavDoc View Post
I own 4; a 20, 21, 22, & 23. All are accurate and reliable.
The 23 had the top half of the extractor hook break off (don't know how long it was like that) and still ran fine. I noticed it when I finally cleaned it. A cheap and easy fix, too. YMMV.
That's the exact same piece but it was the botton corner of the extractor hook.
Old 11-17-2009, 5:15 PM

3k through my G19 and only failed me twice. The first time was because i installed the slide stop spring incorrectly causing the slide lock back after each shot (my fault). And the other was a freak accident shooting at an indoor range. I rolled my wrist while shooting and manged to have the ejected brass land back in the chamber backwards. it was quite the sight.
Old 11-17-2009, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

G17 can fire underwater.
NOTE: Glock, Inc., specifically disclaims any and all liability from anyone performing or attempting to perform underwater firing with a Glock pistol -- you do so at your own risk.

The Glock 17 may be equipped with an optional set of maritime spring cups for use in water environments. Maritime spring cups are not intended for submerged firing, but for surface use by special ops teams who operate in and around water. The maritime spring cups are two small parts within the firing pin assembly and are not included on any Model 17 sold by Glock (civilians can only get them through 3rd parties). They insure that water can pass by the firing pin within the firing pin channel, thus preventing the creation of hydraulic force within the firing pin channel -- which would slow the firing pin down, causing light primer strikes. With the special cups, the action will cycle reliably while submersed, if a little bit slower. NATO specification ammunition (such as Winchester's Ranger RA9124N) with waterproof sealed primers and case mouths is recommended.

Although you may install the maritime spring cups on any Glock model, *only* the Glock 17 was designed and intended to use the modified spring cups for aquatic firing -- and only then using 9mm ball ammunition to remain within acceptable pressure limits. The foolhardy who insist on living dangerously must keep several things in mind: The Glock 17 must be fully submersed underwater. There must not be any air left within the pistol as the muzzle is pointed towards the surface of the water after submersion to allow the air in the barrel to escape. Use only full metal jacket, ball-type ammunition because the water within the barrel can spread a hollow point out within the barrel upon firing. This increases the bearing surface of the bullet to the barrel and could catastrophically increase pressures. Even if the barrel doesn't burst, the expanded bullet would get even bigger upon exiting into the water and would slow down very quickly while tumbling. Accuracy would be terrible.

The marinized Glock 17 is primarily for use by various Special Warfare units operating in aquatic environments. At least one specialized Scuba diving group regularly uses G17's to dispatch sharks where they dive. The Glock 17 using NATO specification ball ammunition will completely penetrate a minimum of one 1/2" pine board at a distance of ten feet from the muzzle when fired underwater.

Trained personnel who use Glocks underwater know they must obey several rules:
1) use only a Glock Model 17 with amphibious spring cups (reliability issue);
2) use only 9mm FMJ subsonic, sealed primer ammo;
3) completely immerse the pistol and get *all* the air out of the barrel;
4) wear protective ear plugs, gloves, wet suit, face mask, etc.;
5) do not fire near solid objects or in enclosed spaces to prevent return
concussion.

However, any Glock -- even those not equipped with maritime spring cups -- will normally fire while submersed underwater. But doing so may generate excessive internal pressure and may cause the pistol to literally blow up. This is especially true with the use of high-pressure rounds (such as the .40 S&W/357 SIG) or hollow-point bullets.

http://www.glockworld.com/content.aspx?ckey=glockfaqs
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 11-17-2009, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

In Glock We Trust

I would trust my life using Glocks. I keep selling my Glocks for other brand and end up turning back with a newer one.
Old 11-17-2009, 8:06 PM

Outstanding anybody got the regs. for hunting shark? I dont see them at DFG.
Old 11-17-2009, 8:16 PM

I owned a very heavily used Glock model 19, I believe it was a generation 2, no finger grooves. It also didn't have the bump on the extractor that is supposed to alert you to a round in the chamber. I acquired it in 92-93ish.

It was great, had allot of wear under the slide which I have seen the finish worn on other Clocks, including my new Glock model 22 but it was a divot on the 19 which leads me to believe it had a huge amount of ammo run through it. The only complaint I had with the pistol was the stock plastic sights and it was finicky with ammo. Some reloads and ammo brands wouldn't cycle/eject 100% of the time. If I stuck with Blazer (which was about the cheapest ammo around anyway) or Fiocchi 9mm it worked 100%. After much reading I can assume that the recoil spring may have been worn out. I was also much younger and inexperienced, not to mention had no internet at the time and I never ever lubed or oiled the gun. I only cleaned it with hopes and it was good to go again.

Love them or hate them they are durable and dependable. I may be responsible for at least two of my friends buying Glocks after shooting my 19. My good friend bought one of the early model 27's and it not only still looks new it has never suffered a failure, according to him. However I know he cares for his guns meticulously but he also shoots them ALOT.

I have been having difficulty finding ammo for my new model 22 but so far federal 180 gr ($14.00 walmart) wolf 180 gr ($21.00 at turners steel case) and blazer 180 gr ($17.00 turners aluminum case) have all been perfect. The blazer seems to either be very dirty or I didn't wipe enough of the excess lube off the gun but ran and felt good. It's too new and has too few rounds though it to report on it's reliability but I don't expect to have any problems.

Check the Glock forums around, you will see more posts of "what do you wear boxers or briefs?" than "My glock isn't functioning as it should". Guess that's a good thing haha.
Old 11-17-2009, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope113 View Post
Outstanding anybody got the regs. for hunting shark? I dont see them at DFG.
LMAO +1
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 PM

Glock 22 experienced some jams (3 in 500 rounds). Glock 17...700 rounds and no jams!
Old 11-18-2009, 8:43 AM

reliable, but i think you already established that a while ago...
Did you really have to make a thread? if you searched, you would have found your answer.
Search and you shall find
Old 11-18-2009, 9:09 PM

I was a Glock hater but now I love them. I love how easy they are to maintain and upgrade by oneself without a gunsmith. Used to keep a P220 as my bed side pistol, and now it's a Glock 17. I've since picked up a G36, G20, G23, and a G26

However, I did see a Glock 17 go down right next to me at a handgun course this past summer. It stopped firing and when we disassembled it, we saw that the metal trigger bar had snapped in half. Granted I don't know the history of that pistol, but since I was also using a Glock 17, it did give me pause for a second about using it as my primary "go to" pistol. However, I think that's a rare instance and that the G17 next to me was a highly-used pistol, so I have no hesitation depending my life on my well-maintained G17.
Old 11-18-2009, 9:19 PM

I still own my very first semi-auto pistol 1st Gen. G17, shot at least over 4000+ rounds. It's just like that Energizer Bunny...keeps going and going and going....
Old 11-19-2009, 5:25 AM

The Glock is pretty close behind the venerable 1911 in simplicity, ruggedness and absolute reliabilty.
Love it or hate it, it has earned it's place in firearms history.
Old 11-19-2009, 8:33 AM

Love my Glock 19. First pistol I owned. No problems. GLOCK = RELIABILITY. Check out YouTube. Tons of videos "challenging" the Glock's resilience...I would NEVER recommend you try anything they do, but they still go BANG!
Old 11-19-2009, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1972 View Post
I was a Glock hater but now I love them. I love how easy they are to maintain and upgrade by oneself without a gunsmith. Used to keep a P220 as my bed side pistol, and now it's a Glock 17. I've since picked up a G36, G20, G23, and a G26

However, I did see a Glock 17 go down right next to me at a handgun course this past summer. It stopped firing and when we disassembled it, we saw that the metal trigger bar had snapped in half. Granted I don't know the history of that pistol, but since I was also using a Glock 17, it did give me pause for a second about using it as my primary "go to" pistol. However, I think that's a rare instance and that the G17 next to me was a highly-used pistol, so I have no hesitation depending my life on my well-maintained G17.
Probably had something to do with a ton of use or torture testing, or a home done trigger job where he took too much off the trigger bar
Old 11-19-2009, 9:41 AM
Banned

i dont know man. a glock was the only pistol to ever break in my hands while shooting, and it seems like every time i shoot one of the little plastic beasts they find a way to eject casings either directly into my safety glasses or up and over my glasses into my eyes. im not a fan but everyone has their own style. some people swear by glocks so they cant be completely bad or good. i woud recommend finding a solid fit for your hand and then buy that pistol whatever it may be
Old 11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
i dont know man. a glock was the only pistol to ever break in my hands while shooting, and it seems like every time i shoot one of the little plastic beasts they find a way to eject casings either directly into my safety glasses or up and over my glasses into my eyes. im not a fan but everyone has their own style. some people swear by glocks so they cant be completely bad or good. i woud recommend finding a solid fit for your hand and then buy that pistol whatever it may be
Explain further. You can't just say something broke and then not explain it. I've also never seen a Glock that ejected cases backwards. All of the ones I've shot throw the brass way off to the right, and I mean waaay off to the right. Like 10'+. It may be your shooting technique. Limp wristing? The only pistol that's ever thrown brass into my face was my 1911 and that was when I was like 13 and was limp wristing the heck out of it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy23 View Post
The Glock is pretty close behind the venerable 1911 in simplicity, ruggedness and absolute reliabilty.
Love it or hate it, it has earned it's place in firearms history.
You've been drinking way to much 1911 koolaid.. From the box, the 1911 is nowhere NEAR as reliable.

The 1911's you see today are heavily modified from the original design, and even then, go try any of these extreme torture test with a 1911 and see if it passes. Look at aftermarket parts for both guns. See what gunsmiths offer. How often do you see "Reliability Packages" for Glocks vs 1911s? Thats the point, you rarely do. GLocks dont need to have their chambers beveled or feed ramps polished. There's no need to flare the ejection port or tune the extractor. There's no need to find the "best" magazine. Glocks simply do not have these issues.

1911's, while designed elegantly, are not simple. There are a lot of things that can go wrong from magazines, spring leafs, incorrect linkage, to extractor tension that can greatly upset how a 1911 works. Glocks, while having quirks of their own, are not plagued by these kinds of 'tuning' issues.. If something isnt' right, you replace it with another OEM part. No fitting, no tuning- just drop it in and go. You cant say the same for a 1911. Start swapping parts on a 1911 and see if you get the same reliability as you would a Glock.

This isn't a war between 1911's or glocks or brand x or z... But you're horribly mistaken if you somehow think 1911s are more reliable/rugged/simple than glocks. There are a lot more parts in a 1911 and there is a lot more skill required in meshing them together so everything runs correctly.

Ultimately, it's not about being a 'better' gun. Thats more subjective, but in terms of ruggedness, simplicity and reliability, I really cant' think of any polymer or non-polymer gun that comes close.

Someone pass me some more Glockaide, cause im out!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM

I'd say most of the 1911 problems now a days are due to their incredibly tight tolerences as opposed to the loose tolerences of older 1911's
Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

My Glock 19 9mm is the most reliable gun I have ever owned.. I own a Sig p226, S&W CS40, Kimber 1911 .45 ACP and a Ruger GP100..

It eats anything I feed it, never jams, never FTF or FTE..
My P226 in .40 hates .40 but loves .357SIG, my kimber is prone to FTE, S&W has bad mags which cause it not to lock back e.t.c.
Old 11-19-2009, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidnez View Post
the same crowd that asserts that handgun technology has not progressed in 98 years
Whatever in the world can you be talking about that leads to such a precise figure?

I'm not going to read eight pages of Glock vs. 1911, sorry. But this likely hasn't been mentioned: reliability depends on the environment. While ergonomically I love the exposed hammer on a 1911, it is a weakness for field carry. I carried one deer hunting this year, and junk can get into the action. That's not a problem for normal outdoor wear, but if you're pushing through brush it can be (and other scenarios I don't feel like imagining). The thumbbreak on my holster covers it and solves 90% of the problem, but there is no question in my mind that an internal hammer or striker would be more reliable for grubby conditions.

Perhaps for a milspec 1911 that isn't a practical issue, given their reputation as being reliable in trenches and other hostile environments, but it's worth considering. I would like to see some tests of these fabled milspec guns, however, and see how well that holds up.

For the Glock fanatics who think that's an endorsement of Glocks for field carry, I actually advocate magnum revolvers for the great outdoors, I just don't have one at the moment.

7x57

What do you need guns for if you are going to send your children, seven hours a day, 180 days a year to government schools? What do you need the guns for at that point?-- R. C. Sproul, Jr. (unconfirmed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
I know every chance I get I'm going to accuse 7x57 of being a shill for LCAV. Because I can.

Last edited by 7x57; 11-19-2009 at 1:14 PM..
Old 11-19-2009, 3:49 PM

Glocks are great. For a pistol to be able to fire full auto (this was done in a place were full auto was legal) and take the punishment without skipping a beat is considered reliable in my book.
Personally though, I find the trigger pull something to get used to. The sensation is different compared to say the 1911 which I use to shoot more often. But once you get use to it then it's all good. I had to mention this because I literally started pulling shots to the left when I first fired my 19. When I got used to the trigger pull then accuracy improved.