Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-15-2020, 2:02 AM

Default Typhoon Defense F12

I found this at my local gun shop and just had to have it. I havenít been able to find much info on these but they seem fairly popular in Canada and Europe.

Anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.typhoondefense.com/

-George Patton
Old 09-15-2020, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

They're fairly new to the US market but look pretty solid. I'd like to get my hands on one myself to check it out.
Old 09-15-2020, 2:48 PM

Looks cool, but I thought semiauto shotguns with detachable magazines were illegal in CA?
Old 09-15-2020, 4:47 PM
retired Goon

it's one of the many Turkish clones of the Akdal MKA 1919 series of semi-auto shotguns.

There's about 5 companies in Turkey that are now making variations of the MKA 1919.
^Typhoon Defense is just the newest company.

Under CA laws...
As is, the MKA 1919 design makes the semi-auto shotgun an assault weapon. [PC 30515(a)(7)]

In order to be CA legal, that type of shotgun needs to be modified into one of the following prior to importation into CA:
A. Manually operated shotgun.
^The gas operating system needs to be removed, so that it operates as a straight pull bolt-action shotgun.
B. Semi-auto shotgun with a fixed magazine.
^It needs to be modified so that it operates using a fixed 10 or less round magazine that is contained in the firearm and the magazine can not be removed without disassembling the firearm's action or the magazine needs to be permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.
^In addition, the semi-auto shotgun can not have a folding/extending shoulder stock and a pistol grip.

A few years ago, Atlantic Firearms stated they were looking into offerring CA legal versions of the Typhoon Defense F12 by making them into fixed magazine semi-auto shotguns.
But, there hasn't been any updates due to there being no readily available fixed magazine device that would work on the Typhoon Defense F12.

Penal Code 30515
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 09-15-2020, 7:40 PM

Thanks for all the responses! This one indeed had a mag lock/fixed magazine but I donít recall which one. A few employees were showing me how to open the action so that I could reload the fixed mag. Happy to post more details once I go pick it up, maybe we might see more of these coming in!