Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > CA Election Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CA Election Forum Discussion, Planning and Activism for California local elections

Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Head Janitor

Default Sample Candidate Questionnaire

So this is my initial draft of a letter/questionnaire to send out to various candidates for office in California.
It is intentionally vague regarding which office and which election so that it can be easily tailored to fit each individual case.

Give it a look and suggest any edits, additions or subtractions.

Quote:
Hello,

My Name is Paul Nordberg, I am writing you on behalf of the community at Calguns.net.
Calguns.net is an online community consisting of over 325,000 voting California shooting sports enthusiasts, firearms collectors and Second Amendment advocates across multiple social media platforms.

In consideration of your candidacy in the upcoming election we would like to ask some questions regarding your positions on firearms ownership and firearms laws. We use these questions to determine which candidates to recommend that our members endorse, support and vote for. Please provide answers to the following questions and return via email to paul.nordberg@calguns.net.

What is your overall opinion of the Second Amendment?

What is your position on concealed carry?

What is your position on open carry?

What is your position on magazine capacity restrictions?

What is your position on ‘assault weapons’ and the existing ban on ownership?

What is your position on the current California ‘Safe Handgun Roster’?

Do you favor increasing firearms laws in California or favor repealing some or all of the existing State laws that go above and beyond existing Federal law?

What California ‘gun control’ laws would you be willing to see repealed?

What California ‘gun control’ laws would you like to see added?

Do you think California’s firearms laws are too lenient, to strict or about right?

Thank you for your time and your answers to our questionnaire,

Paul Nordberg
President, Calguns.net
Vice President, Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc.
Director, California Rifle and Pistol Assoc.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CGNQuest.doc (26.5 KB, 6 views)
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks good Kes, I don't see anything in there about the ammo restrictions though.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

I'd hit 'em with at least two, more specific questions. (replace some other questions, not add more questions)

e.g.

Legislation was recently enacted increasing penalties for XYZ (see AB-123), how would you have voted on this?

Peruta v CA, would you agree "self defense" should satisfy the requirements for a concealed permit?

The open ended stuff gives 'em room to say cookie cutter stuff like "I believe in the 2a for law abiding citizens" but doesn't tell us how they will vote necessarily. At the same time, you don't wanna make 'em squirm too much or they'll just avoid the questions/questionnaire all together.
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Maybe ask for an opinion re punishment/sentences for gun thieves (including <$950 value), felons in possession, etc.?

(Off scope?)
Old 12-04-2017, 2:40 PM
Head Janitor

Okay, revision 1.1

What is your position on the Second Amendment, does it apply to individuals or to the State?

What is your position on ‘assault weapons’ and expanding or repealing the existing ban on ownership?

What is your position on magazine capacity restrictions, should these restrictions be lifted or maintained?

What is your position on the restrictions on the purchase of ammunition, should these restrictions be lifted or maintained?

What is your position on concealed carry and open carry, is either one or both an inherent right under the 2nd Amendment?

Regarding Peruta v. California, in your opinion is 'Self Defense' sufficient cause for a law abiding citizen to obtain a Concealed Weapons permit?

Do you favor increasing firearms laws in California or favor repealing some or all of the existing State laws that go above and beyond existing Federal law?

What California ‘gun control’ laws would you be prefer to see repealed or see added?

Do you think California’s firearms laws are too lenient, too strict or about right?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

Last edited by Kestryll; 12-18-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 3:28 PM

I really like this idea. For the most part, people in the firearm community that don't like it in CA can't just simply "leave", as some liberals have advised or even how people living in the "free states", have advised. If that's the case, or you just flat out don't want to move away from family or loved ones, this is a great idea.

My father who is an ex LEO with over 30 years of service/experience is being asked by our city to run for city counsel, we're in SB county which if pretty lenient towards CCW approvals. Get a few more "good" LEOs throughout city counsels to see some good things for Inland Empire firearm owners.
Old 12-04-2017, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I like revision 1.1.

Direct, simple questions....very little wriggle room.

We should see right off which ones squirm, and even more telling, which one's refuse to return the questionnaire.

Politicians hate answering direct questions.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 12-04-2017, 5:33 PM

Do you think California’s firearms laws are too lenient, TOO strict or about right?
Old 12-05-2017, 5:36 PM

Kestryll, when and if you get any answers from the candidates, please post their responses and if 2A positive, any links to support them with donations.
Money pays for Ads and the more Ads the better!
Old 12-08-2017, 2:49 PM

I'm fond of telling my liberal friends, when they ask me who I'm going to vote for, "I don't know, the NRA hasn't told me yet." It's fun to see the veins in their necks start bulging! Now, I'll be able to ad CalGuns to that taunt.

This is a great idea, and would be great if we can keep some sort of score card, by county, to make finding the information easy to find!
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 01-24-2018, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Okay, revision 1.1

What is your position on the Second Amendment, does it apply to individuals or to the State?

What is your position on ‘assault weapons’ and expanding or repealing the existing ban on ownership?

What is your position on magazine capacity restrictions, should these restrictions be lifted or maintained?

What is your position on the restrictions on the purchase of ammunition, should these restrictions be lifted or maintained?

What is your position on concealed carry and open carry, is either one or both an inherent right under the 2nd Amendment?

Regarding Peruta v. California, in your opinion is 'Self Defense' sufficient cause for a law abiding citizen to obtain a Concealed Weapons permit?

What California ‘gun control’ laws would you be prefer to see repealed or see added?

Do you think California’s firearms laws are too lenient, too strict or about right?
I'm new to this forum but think your 1.1 version should ask more specifically the candidate's understanding of the law or policy before asking whether or not they agree with it. Too many candidates go with the flow (aim to please the audience) but don't have a grasp of the topic. In particular your last question should ask "and why do you feel this way?" Similarly with some others. E.g., don't allow their simple "yes/no" answer go without further elaboration.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2018, 6:31 PM

1. The questions as a group require background knowledge a candidate is unlikely to have and will beg the answer "i'll certainly look into it" which is probably a fair answer but one that tells us nothing.

2. Remember that the definition of a RINO is a trojan horse who looks you straight in the eye and tells you, "oh yeah, Im a total 2nd Am. guy!" only to vote for and encourage every single anti-gun measure he ever has a chance to. Likewise, id be more than happy to become a DINO if someone would just send me (or someone) to Sacramento on such a basis.

3. All questions can simply be lied about which begs, in my mind, the only valid one: How would you demonstrate to voters your true stand on the Constitution and 2nd Am, whether its for or against?

4. And, if you have held prior offices I want to see your voting record on anything you ever voted for and I want to know why, if and when you ever changed parties.

5. How long have you been a Californian? What states did you live prior and did you hold office while there?

Last edited by CharlesV; 02-15-2018 at 9:46 PM..