Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 09-03-2017, 8:44 AM

Default Quick Question

Hey Gang, does aluminum blackening actually work? Have an aluminum trigger I would like Black.. Thanks for your thoughts..

Last edited by golfrj; 09-03-2017 at 1:20 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 7:14 PM

I've used Birchwood Casey "Aluminnum Black" to touch up scratches, and I've found that if the scratches are relatively fresh (recent), it seems to work fairly well.

I think it will not work very well (if at all) on aluminum which has developed a substantial oxide layer such as an old scratch, or on clear anodized aluminum.

So if your trigger has a clear anodized layer, it probably won't do very much.

The other unknown factor (in my experience at least) is how well the blackened surface will hold up on something like a trigger - due to contact with your finger - if you shoot the gun frequently.

The few times I've used it involved scratched areas that normally don't have frequent contact with anything that might rub the surface.

I think an anodized and dyed (or possibly electro-colored) surface would hold up much better.

BTW it looks like there are some decent youtube videos on the subject of aluminum blackening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXFZQlmIQ7s