Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-27-2011, 5:53 PM
In Memoriam

Default Barrel Replacement 22LR?

How hard is it to replace a barrel on a stock Ruger10-22 or Savage MKII?
I see a lot of talk on rimfire central about barrel quality and so on, but not on the process that goes into replacing and adjusting it. I have no clue as to if either is pinned or threaded. It would appear from lurking there that a lot of people are in to it.
Is it just a matter of screwing the old one off and replacing the new one?
I'm handy with tools but would it be a job better left to a real gunsmith?
The boy has a MKII that after a few rounds are fired, the groups start opening up to 2-3" at 50yds.
Thanks -g

Last edited by G-Man WC; 12-27-2011 at 6:02 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know about the Savage but the 10/22 has a V-block barrel retainer and two screws that holds the barrel on. These retainers can loosen which will affect barrel performance.

Here is a link to Numrich's schematic for the 10/22 http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11913

Here is a link to their Savage listings http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=386
Old 12-27-2011, 6:15 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

The Savage MK II barrel is pinned in place. What are the groups like before it starts opening up and what ammo is he using?
Old 12-27-2011, 6:16 PM

1 flathead screw to remove the stock (remember to push the safety to the middle)
2 5/32 allens to remove the barrel - pull and twist..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 12-27-2011, 6:20 PM
Banned

10/22

As SoCal said, just unscrew the vblock, located just in front of the receiver. Then use a rubber mallet or a block of wood to pound the receiver away from the barrel (take out all of the internals first.)

To put a new barrel in, freeze it for about 20 mins, and heat your receiver with a blow drier. Put some lube on the barrel, and slide it into the receiver, then put the vblock back on (not too tight)
Old 12-27-2011, 6:22 PM

It's easy and should only take you about 5 minutes. This might help you:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-re...-rifle-267104/
Old 12-27-2011, 6:36 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
The Savage MK II barrel is pinned in place. What are the groups like before it starts opening up and what ammo is he using?
The groups are on a dime at 50 yards. After 4-5 shots the barrel heats up they start spreading out to about 3". He's tried Remington golden turds, wolf, federal (2 types) , winchester. Nothing expensive and the barrel is just being broken in. He has less than 3,000 rounds fired.
He has a Savage MkII and I was reading about carbon fiber barrels.
-g
Old 12-27-2011, 6:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I've done a bunch of them and usually 10/22 barrels are slip fit or just slightly snug and are held in place by a V-block. If it won't slide out just remove the bolt and very carefully tap it out with a brass hammer and rod. The blow dryer and freezer trick works great if the new one doesn't just drop in.

What you have to watch for with heavy .920 diameter steel barrels is barrel droop. You either need an adjustable v-block (a v-block with a set screw to support the barrel) or you need to bed an inch or so of the barrel. The other choice is to go with a lightweight barrel.

I doubt the issue is barrel temperature because with 22lr you'd have to go through a bunch of ammo fast to get it close to warm enough to matter. The places that I'd start looking with the Savage are for barrel movement due to a loose receiver attachment bolt or if the stock poorly fitted to the receiver. I had a CZ453 come from the factory that way and the barrel shifted with every shot (CZ replaced the rifle). I'd also try it with some Wolf Match ammo and see how it does. If it still sucks wind I'd get a hold of Savage and have them make it right.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 12-27-2011 at 7:14 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 7:00 PM
In Memoriam

So I guess my question now is would the Savage barrel replacment be not as easy than the 10-22? -g
Old 12-27-2011, 7:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
So I guess my question now is would the Savage barrel replacment be not as easy than the 10-22? -g
I haven't done one but the Savages I've shot and seen shoot were really accurate. My take is I wouldn't address the barrel until I'd eliminated all other possible problems. You'll feel really silly dropping a lot of money into it if the new barrel doesn't solve the problem.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 12-28-2011, 8:05 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
The groups are on a dime at 50 yards. After 4-5 shots the barrel heats up they start spreading out to about 3". He's tried Remington golden turds, wolf, federal (2 types) , winchester. Nothing expensive and the barrel is just being broken in. He has less than 3,000 rounds fired.
He has a Savage MkII and I was reading about carbon fiber barrels.
-g
Assuming he is using a scope that's where I would look first, either mounts, rings or something moving internally with the scope. Make sure everything is tight and if that's OK try a different scope. The barrel on my Savage is just the opposite of yours. 2" group @ 50 yards for first three shots then 1/2" or less after that with Wolf MT.

Check the crown for any damage, burrs, not concentric. I have also read that there have been a very few Savage barrels where the rifling did not go all the way to the muzzle. Very rare but has been reported. Take a really close look with a magnifying glass.

Is the rifle still under warranty. If so and you can't figure it out, call Savage and send it back to them. I hear they have very good customer service.