Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Available Long Range Shooting Courses in Northern California?

I'm interested in any available courses in long range shooting out to 1000 yards. Recently got back into it after a few decades.... I'm a former U.S. Marine with prior combat experience in the infantry and am up for the challenges of long range shooting and the science of ballistics. I've gotten into all my reloading along with studying Brian Litz and Applied Ballistics. I don't feel ready to compete in tournaments yet, but would be interested in improving upon what abilities I already have, which is the purpose of this post.

I'm currently working with the Barrett MRAD in .338 Lapua Magnum along with Daniel Defense's .308 DD5V1. I'm not sure what the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center has available, but that's the range I currently belong to, along with the Folsom Shooting Club. I'd appreciate any information that might aid me in locating any courses I'm looking for along with any clubs with the same interests as my own.
Old 01-29-2017, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

There is a LR clinic with the NCPPRC club out of Sacramento Valley Shooting Center. This is more tactical rifle oriented and they have both long range and PRS style clinics. I am not sure what the schedule is for this year. The coaches are excellent PRS style shooters and long range shooters and have a wealth of knowledge on gear as well.

There is also an Advanced Wind Reading Clinic in April that is held by the Folsom Shooting Club. The coaches are current and former US rifle team shooting members, winners of State and Regional long range matches, NRA recognized marksman, High Master and Master shooters in long range F-Class and Highpower disciplines. All shooting is done at 1,000 yards and is strictly prone, target shooting and aimed at teaching the shooter how to get on target at long ranges and how to factor in wind, mirage and flags to make an accurate shot. More info should pop up shortly.

Last edited by bsumoba; 01-29-2017 at 1:11 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 2:01 PM

Thank you very much bsumoba for responding. While searching through this site I discovered the NCPPRC and signed up. I saw where there's going to be a clinic in June, which I've got to put on my calendar... Only open to the first 50 to sign up starting in April I believe, so I can't afford to have a senior moment... Interested in the Advanced Wind Reading Clinic. Just picked up the Kestrel Elite 5700 with Applied Ballistics and Link, but I realize that can only help so much.... BTW, I bought the barrelcool a couple of months ago to hopefully tighten up the ole SD's.......
Old 01-29-2017, 2:11 PM
In Memoriam

Tagged

-g
Old 01-29-2017, 9:43 PM

Both the NCPPRC clinic and the Wind Reading clinic are valuable, I did them both a couple of years ago. Years of experience crammed into a day. I strongly suggest you stretch your legs out to 300 yards and come to a practice day with NCPPRC. They are held the first weekend of each month, no membership required. Practice in Saturday and a match on Sunday. I am in P'ville and go every month. I'd be happy to take you along as my treat. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 01-30-2017, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure we're shingle springs is but we hold monthly 2000 yard matches weather permitting above upper lake.
There is a shooter there who has classes near Petaluma California but I don't remember his contact info.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 01-31-2017, 3:31 PM

Michael Palombo ran his Precision Rifle 1 with targets up to about 1000 yards or a bit more, but I haven't seen it offered for quite a while. His web site (gotopshooter.com) is a bit hard to use. Look for the three small lines in the upper left hand corner to pull up the course menu.
Old 02-08-2017, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
Michael Palombo ran his Precision Rifle 1 with targets up to about 1000 yards or a bit more, but I haven't seen it offered for quite a while. His web site (gotopshooter.com) is a bit hard to use. Look for the three small lines in the upper left hand corner to pull up the course menu.
I sent Mike a note awhile back and didn't hear back. Not sure if he's doing these anymore.