Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM

Default Convincing my family... Prepping is worth it.

Prepping is something I always believe is right, whether for your next road trip or an alien invasion lol.

or especially war on our own soil. This I believe is something we need to train for... However, my family does not quite feel the same way I do. Have anyone here had this problem and can give a man some tips...

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

DO you have kids? If so ask your spouse how long you could feed them if you both lost your income. (IE with what's in the house).

I started with the goal of being able to feed my kids for 30 days in an emergency. Now we have a years supply of food for 10 people and my wife buys me prepping gear for fathers day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

In San Diego you are next to an ocean, not far from a fault line, and a national border. Isn't there also a military facility there? (port?)

It is not far-fetched to see the potential for some kind of major threat.

Earthquake
Tsunami
International conflict
Terrorism

If your version of prepping is all Gun-Ho with camo gear and rifles up the wazoo... they might not be as apt to buy-in as if you set up some solar panels and a battery bank - a fresh water system of some kind - an extra well-stocked pantry - and then a few guns on the side "just in case of a riot or something if times get tough". The average person is going to be more easily persuaded to see a mudslide or earthquake as a threat, than to consider their friends and neighbors a threat. And while a "Red Dawn" scenario may technically be possible under "perfect storm" conditions, to the average person, it's going to seem wildly implausible.

Sell preparedness to them based on what they can understand here and now. In prepping, you have to play the long game.

A little less militant militia, and a little more Boy Scout "Always prepared".

Last edited by bruss01; 06-05-2018 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 AM

My wife went to an emergency response class through her work that talked about disasters and civil unrest. The first thing the guy told everyone was your on your own and no one is gonna help you but yourself for an extended period of time. When she came home she said “Get whatever we need”. So we now have 3day EDC bags in each car, a family go bag in the garage and weeks of food and water. It’s not gonna last forever but is good insurance.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSandler66 View Post
Prepping is something I always believe is right, whether for your next road trip or an alien invasion lol.

or especially war on our own soil. This I believe is something we need to train for... However, my family does not quite feel the same way I do. Have anyone here had this problem and can give a man some tips...

Thank you!
Show them every natural disaster in the USA.
Old 06-05-2018, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
In San Diego you are next to an ocean, not far from a fault line, and a national border. Isn't there also a military facility there? (port?)

It is not far-fetched to see the potential for some kind of major threat.

Earthquake
Tsunami
International conflict
Terrorism

If your version of prepping is all Gun-Ho with camo gear and rifles up the wazoo... they might not be as apt to buy-in as if you set up some solar panels and a battery bank - a fresh water system of some kind - an extra well-stocked pantry - and then a few guns on the side "just in case of a riot or something if times get tough". The average person is going to be more easily persuaded to see a mudslide or earthquake as a threat, than to consider their friends and neighbors a threat. And while a "Red Dawn" scenario may technically be possible under "perfect storm" conditions, to the average person, it's going to seem wildly implausible.

Sell preparedness to them based on what they can understand here and now. In prepping, you have to play the long game.

A little less militant militia, and a little more Boy Scout "Always prepared".

This helped quite a bit, I actually live directly next to Camp Pendleton. As most of us know is a major target. I have kids and do not want to scare them I just want to make sure they are safe so I will talk to my wife a bit about some scenarios and ideas when I take her out to dinner haha
Old 06-05-2018, 1:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
DO you have kids? If so ask your spouse how long you could feed them if you both lost your income. (IE with what's in the house).

I started with the goal of being able to feed my kids for 30 days in an emergency. Now we have a years supply of food for 10 people and my wife buys me prepping gear for fathers day.
I do have kids, I am digesting all the information I am learning here then I am going to take my wife out for dinner. There I will talk to her about possible scenarios and how you can never be too safe especially with younger kids.
Thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnlrat37 View Post
My wife went to an emergency response class through her work that talked about disasters and civil unrest. The first thing the guy told everyone was your on your own and no one is gonna help you but yourself for an extended period of time. When she came home she said “Get whatever we need”. So we now have 3day EDC bags in each car, a family go bag in the garage and weeks of food and water. It’s not gonna last forever but is good insurance.
This is a great idea, I will try to find something in our area to go to.
Old 06-05-2018, 4:37 PM

More often than not, you read stories about contaminated water supplies, and local authorities asking residents to use bottled water.
News reports show images of local stores with bare shelves (where they had bottled water)
They say a human can last 3 days w/o water.
Reason enough to prep.
Old 06-05-2018, 5:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Use new orleans as an example.
Houston.
Back East coast floods.
Even though these are water disasters. Earthquake will be just as bad if the highways are damaged.
Was it last year Ventura of all places. Had mudslides.

My mother lived in Monterey when they had that earthquake up north. Monterey had no power and no access to any roads going into Monterey. All the bridges needed to be inspected before they would allow traffic. That lasted 5 days. My father was trapped in Watsonville.
My parents taught me to always have supplies for an emergency. To this day I keep a am radio for emergency.
Old 06-05-2018, 5:22 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Winter of 16/17 in Big Bear Lake we got some serious snow, knocked power out and the town ground to a halt. People could not get in or out for like two days. Two lousy days. There were empty shelves in Stater Bros, fistfights started over disposable diapers, and there was little to no gas at the pumps. You really need to see human nature when there's even the slightest bit of inconvenience, it is beyond ugly. And that's for two days of running low on beer and diapers, not a real tragedy by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm across the lake in Fawnskin, woodburning stove and a standby generator, plenty of food and countless pails of Mountain House, ammo and emergency lights, and a small network of like-minded neighbors scattered around. Didn't need a damn thing and I sure didn't need to go into town and fight.

Yeah, it was only two days... and it was kind of camping and almost a letdown when the power came back on. Carrie used to chuckle at my preps, that put an end to it for good. She's onboard, she saw both sides.
Old 06-05-2018, 5:38 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
....You really need to see human nature when there's even the slightest bit of inconvenience, it is beyond ugly....
Yeah, turn off the lights and watch the worst of humanity.

Even people you thought were level-headed and rational. Nope.

You might try watching movies with her like 'The Postman' or 'The Road'.

Throw little comments in there showing her how this or that could have been avoided with some preparation.

Be careful with 'The Road' though. If she figures out that the family had enough supplies and bugged in for 7 years before finally hitting the road, she might think it's just not worth it.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 06-05-2018, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My wife was always on board. Especially after having brown and blackouts. I have generators and we had power. What about stocking up on food you eat? Someone gets hurt or there is a problem with a paycheck. Your babies still have a full stomach.

My sister in law lived in WA. She always scoffed at us for having a food stockpile. Until they lost their income for a month. She has not mentioned our supply of food since. Even though she still shops for meals every day. She did not learn her lesson.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM

Shoot, look up what happened to Puerto Rico just this last year!

There are places that STILL don't have power!

Lots of stories to reference.

P.S. Water. Water. Water. Water. Whatever prepping you are doing, nothing else matters if you don't have water.

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Come home on a friday, pull the main breaker to the house and tell them nobody is leaving untill monday. See how they deal with it.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Dot, UN approved, earthquake proof 5 gal water containers are great and stackable. I removed the frame under one bed and put 20 5 gal containers for the bed to sit on. I bought a 55 gal water container 10 years ago but never put water in it. Figured it would be too much hassle to move or change the water. High pressure canning is great when meat is on sale. I always advise people to start with food they always eat. Buy extra when it’s on sale and rotate it.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:57 PM

One of the gentleman at work said his wife thinks food storage is stupid and takes up too much room. I suggested he ask his wife, after a disaster how many days does she want to live. Because it take 1-2 gallons of water a day to live on. And now is the time to decide.
Old 06-06-2018, 5:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Dot, UN approved, earthquake proof 5 gal water containers are great and stackable. I removed the frame under one bed and put 20 5 gal containers for the bed to sit on. I bought a 55 gal water container 10 years ago but never put water in it. Figured it would be too much hassle to move or change the water. High pressure canning is great when meat is on sale. I always advise people to start with food they always eat. Buy extra when it’s on sale and rotate it.
I've got several 12 pack flats of pints and qts of home canned beef, chicken, and salmon that I did my self. Left over turkey carcass gets boiled down, and the juice and pieces gets canned for adding to stuff in emergencies. I've made qts of beef stew, that are ready to eat.
I have a small garden and I recently tried growing potatoes, out of leftovers from Thanksgiving. I've gotten a nice batch of small Yukon Gold potatoes, which I'm going to can. So they will be precooked and ready to go.
Whenever FoodMaxx has a sale on London Broil, I buy a bunch and make up a big batch of beef jerky. Dried so much that it cracks when it's bent. Then it often gets sealed up using a Seal a Meal.
Since the biggest issue is water, I just picked up 3 50-gal and 3 5-gal water storage drums from a guy in Vista for a very good price, and once the bung wrench gets here I will fill them. I found him on Craigs list.
The only thing that takes up a lot of space is the water.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 06-06-2018 at 6:42 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 7:14 AM

everything I do is "earthquake" preps. It's just logical to be prepared to have to chill out in your house for a week or two. She has no problem with that angle.
Old 06-06-2018, 8:09 AM

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-06-2018, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Even today we have Family members that don’t believe in prepping and don’t think anything will happen. Sorry it’s a bit long but Here are some of the things that happened to us.

1. 9/11 Lost Friends and family. Was part of the first groups to help at Ground Zero and even today I still suffer from stuff that was in the air. (We didn’t have the right equipment)

2. Sandy - we did ok because we prepared for the storm n only lost power for 1 hour. Other friends and family didn’t do so well. One buddy lost power for a month n with a baby that was born two days before the storm. Had other that lost his house n as the ocean took his house.

3. Katrina - Helped a buddy move into his brand new home only to lose it to Katrina. NG come n removed the two guns he owned. We got out hours before the height of the storm.

4. Puerto Rico - storm leveled my grandmothers house. my grandmother passed away about a week before the storm if she was alive n home. We believe she would and killed as only the foundation was left. I have family members to this day don’t have power yet. also my uncle who owns a bottling plant lost most of his factory for producing bottled water

5 LA riots / earthquakes - Even with the riots in the earthquakes my wife was not into prepping or anything before we met. Her grandfather the man who raised her was. Him n His son (my wife’s uncle) that Help protect the neighborhood when people came to loot the neighborhood. They funny part about this, is my wife’s Aunt doesn’t believe in 2A now ( New husband ) even knowing the fact that people in the neighborhood use guns to protect the neighborhood from outsiders.
Old 06-06-2018, 9:41 AM

We don't call it preping in our house. That what crazy tin foil hat folks do. We call it emergency food and supply. Just lessen to how it sounds.

Honey, I think we should start preping

Honey, I think we should keep some emergency food and water on hand.

Start small, baby steps. Don't start out proposing a bunker, gas masks and body armor...

Last edited by luckylogger6; 06-06-2018 at 9:44 AM..
Old 06-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

It's called camping gear around my home. Prepping is a lifestyle choice for me/mine. **NOT zombies, NK attacking by air or the ELE Hollywood interpretation du jour movie.

Camping is good way to get people talking about theoretical scenarios involving NOT going to the store to grab something should an unforeseeable event take place. No stores to go to. Right?

Preparing my family for any possible emergency that comes up is a responsibility I assumed long ago.

Look at the displaced people in the Oroville damn spillway emergency. Yes I said damn.
The Napa fires.
SD county LA county fires, mudslides etc.
All recent history and fine examples of what can be expected now in the real world.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 AM

In San Diego, the best things to prep for....wildfires and power outages.

In my 27 years living there, we had 2 situations that called for county-wide emergency protocols...a wildfire that cut off the county for 2-3 days, and a power outage that affected the county for several days.

The wild fire for those people in the impacted areas was devastating and it kept goods from getting into the county overland for a few days....due to the smoke and visibility, people were advised to stay indoors.

The power outage was actually worse since stores could not effectively keep goods refrigerated, restaurants could not operate, gas could not be pumped, etc.

Locally wildfires, usually once a year, required evacuations in various areas. One case of wild fires in Poway, I had another 4-5 people who had been evacuated staying in my house in Vista for a few days. Luckily this did not effect general services across the county.

So prepping for at least 3-5 days for your family (and possible extended family) due to wildfires is a very likely occurrence.

I love wooden rifles
Old 06-06-2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Yeah, turn off the lights and watch the worst of humanity.

Even people you thought were level-headed and rational. Nope.

You might try watching movies with her like 'The Postman' or 'The Road'.

Throw little comments in there showing her how this or that could have been avoided with some preparation.

Be careful with 'The Road' though. If she figures out that the family had enough supplies and bugged in for 7 years before finally hitting the road, she might think it's just not worth it.
"turn off the lights and watch the worst of humanity."

more like

turn off power to smart phones and watch the worst of humanity.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:05 PM

I drove through Northridge the day after the earthquake. Most homes had structural damage. Every third house had people camping in their front yard. I agree- world class camping gear is real emergency preparedness. The church I go to has encouraged members to have a years supply of food storage.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, the church I grew up in pretty much seems to discourage such preps.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
"turn off the lights and watch the worst of humanity."

more like

turn off power to smart phones and watch the worst of humanity.
Definitely agree here lol.
Old 06-06-2018, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
I drove through Northridge the day after the earthquake. Most homes had structural damage. Every third house had people camping in their front yard. I agree- world class camping gear is real emergency preparedness. The church I go to has encouraged members to have a years supply of food storage.
I witnessed the damage as well I lived in Simi Valley and the quake cracked the foundation, took out power, cracked our ceiling and obviously did worse things in other closer areas. We are definitely due for another "big one".
Old 06-06-2018, 5:05 PM

I was a kid about 10 and remember diving under the breakfast table during the Silmar quake. 20 years later, rode out the Northridge. Both knocked down freeways and both in the same location. If you live near there, Good Luck because we are way past the 20 year mark and overdue.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Hide the toilet paper for a few days. Suddenly everyone is a prepper.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Just play out this one scenario, and how she answers.

Prologue : people are in the way grabing things in front of you, & cut you off inline ! These are the good times going to the store

Now a disaster hits, your out of food, you go to store, there is 1 bag of potato chips left on the shelves that are all knock down & empty, & 500 people want them, how's that gonna work ?

Epilogue : 42 people were killed or wounded for those chips, what position did you play for these chips, 1st, middle, or last one gets them ?

Be prepared is the motto, specially if you have kids, or just want to survive the week !

If she still disagrees with you, tell her next long road trip no snacks or drinks for 3 days. lol

Maybe this helps, maybe not, but does make you think !
Old 06-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Taking her out to dinner tonight wish me luck haha.

As I said before thank you everyone who has given me some tips!
Old 06-07-2018, 1:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Because the UN-prepared, end up in the Superdome...

Old 06-08-2018, 9:17 AM

i keep reminding my wife what it was like during the Northridge earthquake...we live in Carson and her family lived in the Valley.....bringing 1&5 gallon water bottles,batteries ,food everyday till it was all fixed and a lot of garbage bags....now we have a 1 month supply of everything
Old 06-08-2018, 9:26 AM

Well guys, Thank you! Took her to dinner last night and she really seems to agree. Going to Winco Foods this weekend to get some bulk items and lots of water. From my understanding Winco also has some emergency food kits...

Thanks for all the knowledge and tips given I will be posting a lot more here soon with updates.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good for you.
Now each time you go to the grocery store. Try and add some canned goods or dry instant food. Only spend $5 or $10. It will add up fast.

99cent store you can buy tall unscented candles.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

A man shall lead his family in kindness by protecting them and deciding what is best.

Asking his wife to start prepping either means she makes the money in the home, or you aren't leading your family.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Clean Cut American Kid 🇺🇸
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Because the UN-prepared, end up in the Superdome...

I work with someone who was in New Orleans when Katrina hit. For some reason he had the chance to leave the city prior but decided to “ride it out”. He wound up in the Superdome. Said it was absolute Hell, claims to have seen multiple rapes and a severe beating for a half filled water bottle. Apparently outside was no better.

Changed his perspective on human behavior forever.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:30 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Realistically, "prepping" is really only preparing for a VERY SMALL sliver of the eventuality scale. Anything too small and you won't need to "prep" Anything too large and unless you live on your own 20 acres, it won't make much of a difference.

Really, you should be able to be on your own for 2-4 weeks. Max. That's about it. Again, longer than that, you WON'T have enough water here in CA.