Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-21-2016, 1:52 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike175gr View Post
I just finished with my interview and I was very impressed how polite, professional, and warm the interviewer was. He is very supportive of qualified folks having a CCW. I was asked all the same questions as detailed in the above posts. I did my Live Scan the day before, but have not done my course yet. Any idea of how long it would take to get the rest of the approval? (four to six months?)

The class with One on One Firearms in Sacto. is 16 hours long. I thought that the requirement was for an 8 hour class. Is that accurate?

Once I complete my approved course I would assume that I just need to upload a scan of the course certificate via the new website. (by the way, the new site works great!)

Why did you submit the livescan before the interview - is that a new procedure? Back in the day (before their brand new system), you would never have done that. You can't just use any old livescan form - you have to use the one they provide you or the results will never be routed back to them.

And back in the day, you would wait weeks or more after the interview to get a proceed to livescan email, although sometimes the interviewer would tell you to go ahead if he had a good feeling about you and your application. But I have never heard of anyone doing it before the interview, ever. If this is part of the new, streamlined official procedure please let us know.

The training requirement is only 8 hours long - why are you going to take a 16 hour class when there are plenty of 8 hours classes available?

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-21-2016 at 1:57 PM..
Old 04-21-2016, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Why did you submit the livescan before the interview - is that a new procedure? Back in the day (before their brand new system), you would never have done that. You can't just use any old livescan form - you have to use the one they provide you or the results will never be routed back to them.

And back in the day, you would wait weeks or more after the interview to get a proceed to livescan email, although sometimes the interviewer would tell you to go ahead if he had a good feeling about you and your application. But I have never heard of anyone doing it before the interview, ever...

The training requirement is only 8 hours long - why are you going to take a 16 hour class when there are plenty of 8 hours classes available?

I called them up and the interviewer told me to come down and do the Live Scan right away, fill out the on line application, and then schedule the interview. They were very easy going about it and he made time for me. (This is the Tahoe area not Auburn though.) I did use the Live Scan form that was provided via the link that they sent me.

I was just very impressed how nice they were.

Thanks,

Michael

Last edited by Mike175gr; 04-21-2016 at 2:15 PM..
Old 04-21-2016, 2:11 PM

You would have to ask them if they're course is good for CA, but in Reno... Kelly and Allan Main are a couple of great instructors. You can email them for info... armedandsafe@sbcglobal.net

I'm fairly certain they would know where else to get a course near you if they can't do it.
Old 04-21-2016, 2:18 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I called them up and the interviewer told me to come down and do the Live Scan right away, fill out the on line application, and then schedule the interview. They were very easy going about it and he made time for me. (This is the Tahoe area not Auburn though.) I did use the Live Scan form that was provided via the link that they sent me.

I was just very impressed how nice they were.

Thanks,

Michael
Ok that makes sense - they do things differently up there. I don't know who does Placer County CCW training in your area, but with 8 hours to save, it may be worth a drive down the hill.

Old 04-21-2016, 2:29 PM

I just spoke to Dennis Cook who is listed on the site as an approved instructor. He is close by and in Truckee. I am all squared away now. This site and the members have been a big help!

Thank you!
Old 04-23-2016, 2:03 AM

Hey everyone,

Yesterday afternoon I called PCSD about my application and found out my training certificate was missing. I sent it in as a pdf back in Feb but it never made it into my file. Looks like using the "ccw@placer.ca.gov" address was the problem. Thankfully they gave me a different email address to forward my certificate and I received a prompt email response. Now my packet is complete and is in line to be typed up and signed by the Sheriff.

My timeline so far.

08/12/15 - Called for an appointment
12/17/15 - Interviewed and Live Scanned
02/08/16 - Completed training and sent in certificate
04/22/16 - Follow up call and resent certificate

So far 9 months but still faster than LA County.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT

Last edited by jigenax; 04-23-2016 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: spelling due to spellcheck
Old 04-24-2016, 2:44 PM

On a placer county permit are you allowed to carry with a weapon light such as a surefire x300?
Old 04-25-2016, 8:39 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonnier View Post
On a placer county permit are you allowed to carry with a weapon light such as a surefire x300?
I'm not 100% sure, but my instructor said that as long as you don't change anything that affects how the pistol functions (upgraded triggers, etc.), you can add any accessories to it you want as long as they're legal - laser sights, night sights, grips, flashlights, etc. should all be ok.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^^IIRC that is what I remember as well but I did my class like 1.5 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-28-2016, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Ok that makes sense - they do things differently up there. I don't know who does Placer County CCW training in your area, but with 8 hours to save, it may be worth a drive down the hill.

Now that I have the Live Scan and interview completed, I will do my course in the next week or so. How long does it typically take for everything else to get completed? (I am assuming that would be DOJ clearance and issuing department approval)

Thanks,

M
Old 04-28-2016, 7:46 AM

I had my livescan done 2 weeks ago and I'm just waiting for the results. My interviewer said they had a few come back in 3 weeks, but indicated that was unheard of. I'm hoping someone has better news.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 7:50 AM

The title changed to ***TIME TO APPLY***, did I miss something? Is placer accepting "self defense" as good cause now?

Old 04-28-2016, 7:51 AM

Yes

Old 04-28-2016, 7:52 AM

I did my interview late January '16. I did livescan same day. I did my CCW course in February and then just emailed cert. to my sheriff officer/investigator. I received a call yesterday to come pick up permit.

Additional info: Placer Sheriff Office/staff are extremely friendly and advocates for you. A big thumbs up to our County, seems the last County with common sense. As long as you are truthful and respect them, they show the same.
Old 04-28-2016, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
The title changed to ***TIME TO APPLY***, did I miss something? Is placer accepting "self defense" as good cause now?
Not positive, but my interviewer was really good and told me that one of my reasons was fine, but the other was a little silly. (It was genuine, but was also an example pulled and modified from published GC statements). To net it out, he didn't say that self defense was an ok reason, but he did say that he was very supportive of qualified folks having a CCW and that is why he was doing this work. I can't say enough what a decent guy he was.
Old 04-28-2016, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Not positive, but my interviewer was really good and told me that one of my reasons was fine, but the other was a little silly. (It was genuine, but was also an example pulled and modified from published GC statements). To net it out, he didn't say that self defense was an ok reason, but he did say that he was very supportive of qualified folks having a CCW and that is why he was doing this work. I can't say enough what a decent guy he was.
I've heard nothing but great things about the interviewers at placer. I forget the name of the gentleman who interviewed me, but he was a pleasure to talk to. Genuinely wanted to help me get my permit, and had a great time talking about guns after the interview. Turns out he was a 10mm fan himself, and was surprised to see a G29 on my application, said he doesn't see that too often. He gave me the thumbs-up for a livescan before I left his office. No complaints about their process at all, Placer is definitely pro-ccw. For a moment I actually felt proud to be in California, haha. That says something.

Old 04-29-2016, 6:16 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottrav View Post
I did my interview late January '16. I did livescan same day. I did my CCW course in February and then just emailed cert. to my sheriff officer/investigator. I received a call yesterday to come pick up permit.

Additional info: Placer Sheriff Office/staff are extremely friendly and advocates for you. A big thumbs up to our County, seems the last County with common sense. As long as you are truthful and respect them, they show the same.
Are you in the Tahoe Basin area? I thought that office was really fantastic and everybody I spoke and worked with was great. I just can't say enough good things about them.
Old 05-04-2016, 2:23 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Mike - In 2014 I had my interview in mid October and got an email or call to pickup my permit just after the first of the year. It's dated info but something for you to hold onto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 PM

Got the email to pick up my new CCW!

My timeline:

08/12/15 - Called for an appointment
12/17/15 - Interviewed and Live Scanned
02/08/16 - Completed training and sent in certificate
04/22/16 - Follow up call and resent certificate
05/04/16 - Received email to pick up on Friday the 6th!

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 05-08-2016, 7:53 AM

Mike-

Here is the timeline I posted earlier in the thread with my experience (all at the Tahoe Substation).

3.20 - Application turned in.
4.14 - Interview.
4.16 - Livescan.
6.26 - Went in to thumbprint/sign license, p/u pending final approval.
7.2 - Picked up license

I used Dennis Cook. He's a solid, great guy.

I agree with you as well; everyone at the station were courteous, A+ people. A great experience top to bottom.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-19-2016, 3:17 PM

Default CCW Just Cause Help!!

Looking for Help with my Just cause statement Placer county!!
Old 05-20-2016, 9:48 PM

Topliner1 her is a link that could help

http://www.besthandguntraining.com/i...08.16.2013.pdf
Old 05-21-2016, 3:49 PM

Placer accepted Self Defense as of 6 weeks ago. They told me to elaborate a little, but it was fine with self defense included

Old 05-21-2016, 6:45 PM

thank you
Old 05-21-2016, 6:47 PM

Thank you Dramdiesel
Old 05-22-2016, 6:47 PM

timeline:

interview Jan 22, 2016
live scan done a few days later
picked up permit May 20, 2016
Old 05-23-2016, 5:20 AM

Wow! So around 5 months for Livescan?

Old 05-23-2016, 5:53 AM

Livescan takes about 6-8 weeks to get back. Once they have it, you're pretty much just waiting in line to have your permit signed. That can take a long time apparently
Old 05-23-2016, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Livescan takes about 6-8 weeks to get back. Once they have it, you're pretty much just waiting in line to have your permit signed. That can take a long time apparently
The sheriff seems to sit on the permits for a couple months, and then signs a bunch all at once. So, if your livescan finishes right after his last signature session, you might have to wait a while. I had my permit in hand only 9 weeks after doing my livescan, so I think I got lucky and he signed it right after it hit his desk.

Old 05-23-2016, 8:03 AM

How do you know when your Livescan comes back? Do you get a notice?

Old 05-23-2016, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman View Post
How do you know when your Livescan comes back? Do you get a notice?

No notice, you just have to wait to hear from the Sheriff's office about your approval

Old 05-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The sheriff seems to sit on the permits for a couple months, and then signs a bunch all at once. So, if your livescan finishes right after his last signature session, you might have to wait a while. I had my permit in hand only 9 weeks after doing my livescan, so I think I got lucky and he signed it right after it hit his desk.
How long ago was that?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramdiesel View Post
Topliner1 her is a link that could help

http://www.besthandguntraining.com/i...08.16.2013.pdf
They were very easy going regarding GC statement when I had my interview. He did joke me with on part of mine. My suggestion is not to copy, but be sincere and capture what you think is appropriate. In Placer they really seem to want to be helpful and are supportive.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
How long ago was that?
got my permit in october last year

Old 05-24-2016, 11:00 PM

As for good cause, Placer Co wants you to be honest and explain in detail. It can be as simple as "self defense" but do elaborate on details such as self defense when with wife and kids are present, or you have a business that takes you to different parts of the state or if you carry expensive equipment, or even if you an outdoor type of person and travel to a lot of secluded locations. Details will definitely help with the good cause.
Old 05-25-2016, 4:14 PM

My timeline
03/02/16 Initial Interview
03/07/16 Livescan
05/25/16 Notified of approval
05/27/16 Appointment for pickup
Old 05-25-2016, 4:45 PM

Thanks for sharing mgtywarrior. I'm at 6 weeks and counting from my interview and livescan and getting excited.

Old 05-25-2016, 5:51 PM

Had my interview today. Went really well. He asked if I already did my live scan. I said no and he explained that there was a link for my live scan paper work in a previous email and to get it done ASAP. FYI to all-Make sure you have everything filled out and attach all documents they request. He was pleased that I sent everything in prior to interview and filled out correctly. It was a great experience 5 Star
Old 05-25-2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramdiesel View Post
Had my interview today. Went really well. He asked if I already did my live scan. I said no and he explained that there was a link for my live scan paper work in a previous email and to get it done ASAP. FYI to all-Make sure you have everything filled out and attach all documents they request. He was pleased that I sent everything in prior to interview and filled out correctly. It was a great experience 5 Star
Well that's new... they used to recommend you NOT do your livescan before the interview, lest you be denied and waste your money.

Old 05-25-2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Well that's new... they used to recommend you NOT do your livescan before the interview, lest you be denied and waste your money.

I agree and from all the other comments as well. Kinda caught me off guard. I was thinking "damn I forgot to complete something". Stopped off at UPS store that does livescan in Roseville that was able to do walk in