Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:11 AM

pennstater, the next thread, sooner or later will be about 'the dreaded donut'. If the reloader can not understand what happens to the case when sized and or fired they can not understand 'the donut'.

I have said I have cases that will never form a donut, I have said I have formed donuts by bad habits and I have said I have cases that form donuts by design meaning the donut is going to appear and there is nothing I can do about it.

Quote:
Yet another finely started thread asking real questions and someone has it careening off the rails. Gads, wishing these "experts" would start they're own damn forum and quibble among themselves. Pathetic.
Well boo hoo, if there was a joke in all of this it would be on you, how childish; Pathetic? You do not know and or understand what happens to a case when sized and or fired. And there is not one reloaders that understands what I am talking about when I say I have fired cases with .127" clearance between the shoulder of the case and shoulder of the chamber. There is not one reloader that understands the firing pin on that rifle and chamber does not drive the case shoulder to the shoulder of the chamber. The shoulder on that case did not move when fired.

WHY NOT! ? My cases when fired did not suffer case head separation even thought ever reloaders believes the case should have had case head separation.

Going back 75+ years; Hatcher knew his cases would suffer case head separation if he fired his cases in a long chamber, to prove it he advanced the 30/06 reamer into the chamber to increase the clearance to .060". Hatcher did not experience case head separation. Reloaders claim to have read Hatcher, most of them do not understand what he said.

Had hatcher scribed his cases at the case body/shoulder juncture he would have know the shoulder of his case became part of the case body meaning the scribed line would not have moved; meaning the scribed line did not move.

And I have said opver and over and over I have a M1917 rifle with a long chamber. The chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face is .016" longer than a minimum length/full length sized case; meaning, when I fire a new over the counter factor loaded case the shoulder of my cases is .016" from the shoulder of the chamber.

IF THE FIRING PIN DROVE THE SHOULDER OF THE CASE TO THE SHOULDER OF THE CHAMBER IT WOULD BE NECESSARY FOR THE CASE TO STREATCH .016" BETWEEN THE CASE HEAD AND CASE BODY TO REACH THE BOLT FACE.

That does not happen on that rifle, the case gets shorter from the end of the neck to the case head and the case increases in length from the (new) shoulder to the case head. BUT! I avoid all of that by forming my 30/06 cases from 280 Remington cases. I adjust the die off of the shell holder .014". And what does that do/accomplish? It gives me the magic .002" clearance between the shoulder of the chamber and the shoulder of the case.

And then there is case head separation that has nothing to do with anything I have mentioned above.

I will tell you what pathetic is; all of these reloaders I am surrounded with that simply do not knw and do not want to know.

F. Guffey