Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-28-2011, 7:02 PM

Raymond,
What kind of shotgun shells should I bring? Also, I have a Mini 14 as well as an AR-15. Does it matter?
Old 08-28-2011, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce350 View Post
Raymond,
What kind of shotgun shells should I bring? Also, I have a Mini 14 as well as an AR-15. Does it matter?
Federal bulk packs are perfect. (2 3/4", 3 dram, #7.5 shot). You can get them from Walley World for $25.00 for 100 shotshells, out dee door. But if not...#6, #7, or #8 shot will work fine.

May I also suggest you bring a few different types of shotshell brands. Practice time is when you fine-tune your ammo, firearms, and technique. Some shotguns are finiky, and will operate better with some shotshells, and not with others. So now is the time for trial and error...and not during a match. Just a suggestion.

As for your rifle, either is fine. But your AR will be better suited for what we are doing...especially for rapid shooting and reloading. But don't hesitate to bring both if you want to try em out for yourself. Nothing better than seeing things for yourself, so that you can speak from experience (and authority) at a later date.

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 08-28-2011 at 8:55 PM..
Old 08-28-2011, 7:30 PM

Sounds great. I'll see you Saturday.
Old 08-29-2011, 8:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
That should be fine.

Looks like a small business card, right?

I took Bill's class years ago before the fancy card, can I still come out and play? The monthly multi-gun practice is something I would like to try and commit to and help keep this great opportunity going.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 08-29-2011, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
I took Bill's class years ago before the fancy card, can I still come out and play? The monthly multi-gun practice is something I would like to try and commit to and help keep this great opportunity going.
Ipsick,

if you took the class, you should be fine. Come introduce yourself to me when you get there. Let me check you out, and we will go from there.

A few responses to my safety questions, and looking at how you handle your firearm, will determine if you are safe to shoot at our action range...and if you took our class. (Bill may also be there as well).

Like I said, we are NOT here to teach you how to shoot. The intro classes are to make sure you know all the range safety rules, what is expected of you at our range, and how to properly handle/stage/reload/clear your firearms...for everyone's sake.

See y'all there.

Old 08-29-2011, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Raymond. That will more than work for me.

Quick question. While not actively engaging targets during movement on a stage, is keeping the finger off the trigger sufficient or do you guys require that the safety be engaged? As well as I can remember, finger off trigger was sufficient for pistols but I want to make certain it is the same for long guns. Of course this is all provided that muzzle direction rules (180-rule and below berm heights) are strictly followed during the course of fire.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 08-29-2011, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks Raymond. That will more than work for me.

Quick question. While not actively engaging targets during movement on a stage, is keeping the finger off the trigger sufficient or do you guys require that the safety be engaged? As well as I can remember, finger off trigger was sufficient for pistols but I want to make certain it is the same for long guns. Of course this is all provided that muzzle direction rules (180-rule and below berm heights) are strictly followed during the course of fire.
No safety while moving. But safety while staged. (Before picking it up to shoot).

If you are transitioning to another long gun, the firearm being put down must be:

1) Completely unloaded, action open, or...
2) Loaded, but safety in place. Period.

Fail any of the two, and DQ is imminent.

You must also have a SAFETY FLAG on your long gun while on our range. This is not up to discussion...but manditoory.

If you do not have a safety flag, we have them at the stat shack for $1.00 a piece. Just ask me, and I'll get you straight.

Oh yea...I will also flex my Herculean muscles and get a Polish Plate Rack, and Texas Star out there for you guys to practice on. (Shotgun only)!!

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 08-29-2011 at 3:35 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

I already have chamber flags for my long guns and yeah I forgot about transition between weapons. Thanks for the advance info.

What time are you planning on being there? I'll try to get there early enough to help setup. I've got salamander muscles so don't expect me to complete Herculean tasks like you.

Old 08-29-2011, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I already have chamber flags for my long guns and yeah I forgot about transition between weapons. Thanks for the advance info.

What time are you planning on being there? I'll try to get there early enough to help setup. I've got salamander muscles so don't expect me to complete Herculean tasks like you.
Thank you for the offer in helping to set-up!

But me and a few other RO's are usually there on Friday for our weekly practice. So I will hang around after Friday practice, and set-up the stage then.

As for the practice times...it starts at 0930 hours, and ends at 1330 hours..

Go to the main 100-yard range to pay your fee's. ($10.00 for non-members/$5.00 for members). Print your name on the receipt stub, and bring it to the action bays. Make sure to sign-in on the action bay sign-in sheet. This helps us to see how many shooters are coming to our weekly practice sessions.

After than, "C'moooon Dooooown".

See you then.

Old 09-01-2011, 9:49 AM

OK, there will be a long distance rifle stage running this Saturday on the 200 yard range. It will be open for operation after 1:30pm and will run until 4pm.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Raymond,

Just want to make sure the action range sign-in sheet is still on a table next to the RO watching bay 3. Should be some type of envelope for the receipt as well, correct?

Also is the multi-gun practice in bay 1 at the far inner end of the action range, bay 4 near the safety area, or bay 5 near the entrance to the action range?

Lastly, long guns should be cased with chamber flags when not on the firing line of the practice stage, correct?

If better to answer these questions by PM, please reply back to me there.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2011, 1:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Raymond,

Just want to make sure the action range sign-in sheet is still on a table next to the RO watching bay 3. Should be some type of envelope for the receipt as well, correct?

Also is the multi-gun practice in bay 1 at the far inner end of the action range, bay 4 near the safety area, or bay 5 near the entrance to the action range?

Lastly, long guns should be cased with chamber flags when not on the firing line of the practice stage, correct?

If better to answer these questions by PM, please reply back to me there.

Thanks.
1) Sign-in envelope will be on the static line on bay 3.

2) Action bay will probably be on bay 5.

3) Multigun practice stage will be on bay 4.

4) Pistols must ALWAYS be holstered at safety areas. But for the long gun practice, you can bring your CASED long gun to bay 4. We will have a table set-up for you to pull out your long guns and load them before running the stage.

5) Once that long gun is out of its case, a safety flag must be placed in the chamber. The only time a flag will not be in the chamber is when the long gun is staged, or you are shooting it.

Wanted to answer you publically, as others may also benefit from this information.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 09-02-2011 at 2:02 AM..
Old 09-02-2011, 2:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
OK, there will be a long distance rifle stage running this Saturday on the 200 yard range. It will be open for operation after 1:30pm and will run until 4pm.
Awesome, Geoff.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 PM

I'm out for tomorrow. Kick off is at 1230.
Old 09-03-2011, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Great turn-out, shooters!

I had a nice stage built for you guys Friday night. I tried to incorporate a little bit of EVERY shooting facet that y'all would need (or see) at a multigun match. (Hoser targets for trigger/eye speed, freestyle distance targets for hand stability and target acquisition, close distance [5" x 5"] A/B zone targets for hold-over practice, close then distant targets for your transitions). And then the shotgun targets - Polish Plate Rack, Texas Star, USPoppers with flying clays.

I saw some of you come out to practice leary and hesitant. But then, at the end of the afternoon, you left very confident and better shooters.

For some, it was not knowing how to attack certain obstacles. For others it may have been not knowing how to formulate a stage plan of attack. For some it was learning what ammo their firearms could NOT digest (the hard way). For others it was learng a faster way of doing what they could already do. For some it was learning the scoring system, and learning how to get the most out of the system. For others it was learning the multigun range rules and commands, and feeling confident in working under those new conditions.

Regardless, everyone learned a little something today.

It was great shooting with you guys. We had a good group of shooters who were interested in learning, and were all putting in their part to tape, reset the steel, and keep everything flowing smoothly.

It started a little slow, as I felt that a few words were in order (for each shooter) to help them understand what was expected of them, and to correct a few things I saw they could improve on. But after that, it was full throttle ahead.

Once again, we had a good showing, and I definitely saw improvement in EVERYONE'S time and technique. And fellow shooters...THAT'S WHAT MULTIGUN PRACTICE IS ALL ABOUT!!!

It was good seeing new faces, it was good laughing with y'all, and it was an honor serving my fellow shooeters. Thank you.

Lord willing, I will see y'all at next months practice...or at a local MG match.

Have a good Labor Day weekend.

PS: Me and "Big Kahuna" (Geoff) were talking about something. And if the stars align, if the god's smile upon us, if the end of the rainbow lands on our range, if the...OK, OK, OK! If the schedule permits, we may throw a MG match sometime before the year is over. More to come.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 09-03-2011 at 7:30 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 7:30 PM

Thanks Raymond for taking the time to set up a great stage for us to run. I was the one that got there late and had to leave early. And plus I left my shotgun at the house. But I'll be sure to pack everything the night before and put it in my car so I could get there on time.

See you next month

Thanks again
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
Great turn-out, shooters!

I had a nice stage built for you guys Friday night. I tried to incorporate a little bit of EVERY shooting facet that y'all would need (or see) at a multigun match. (Hoser targets, freestyle distance targets, precision A/B zone targets (5" x 5" square), close then distant targets for your transitions...and then the shotgun targets. (Polish Plate Rack, Texas Star, USPoppers with flying clays).

I saw some of you come out to practice leary and hesitant. But then, at the end of the afternoon, you left very confident and better shooters.

For some, it was not knowing how to attack certain obstacles. For others it may have been not knowing how to formulate a stage plan of attack. For some it was learning what ammo their firearms could NOT digest (the hard way). For others it was learng a faster way of doing what they could already do. For some it was learning the scoring system, and learning how to get the most out of the system. For others it was learning the multigun range rules and commands, and feeling confident in working under those new conditions.

Regardless, everyone learned a little something today.

It was great shooting with you guys. We had a good group of shooters who were interested in learning, and were all putting in their part to tape, reset the steel, and keep everything flowing smoothly.

It started a little slow, as I felt that a few words were in order (for each shooter) to help them understand what was expected of them, and to correct a few things I saw they could improve on. But after that, it was full throttle ahead.

Once again, we had a good showing, and I definitely saw improvement in EVERYONE'S time and technique. And fellow shooters...THAT'S WHAT MULTIGUN PRACTICE IS ALL ABOUT!!!

It was good seeing new faces, it was good laughing with y'all, and it was an honor serving my fellow shooeters. Thank you.

Lord willing, I will see y'all at next months practice...or at a local MG match.

Have a good Labor Day weekend.

PS: Me and "Big Kahuna" (Geoff) were talking about something. And if the stars align, if the god's smile upon us, if the end of the rainbow lands on our range, if the...OK, OK, OK! If the schedule permits, we may throw a MG match sometime before the year is over. More to come.
Old 09-03-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie3888 View Post
Thanks Raymond for taking the time to set up a great stage for us to run. I was the one that got there late and had to leave early. And plus I left my shotgun at the house. But I'll be sure to pack everything the night before and put it in my car so I could get there on time.

See you next month

Thanks again
Richard
Shiny white t-shirt?

Glad to hear you had a good time.

The MG stage was meant for long guns. Both shotgun and rifle...or only shotgun, or only rifle. Glad to see that some of y'all took advantage of this, and decided to run the stage with whatever long gun you had on hand. (Rifle or shotgun).

Practice is practice, and that's the name of the game.

By the way, your runs were good. And your last run was definitely faster than your first one. Speed comes naturally with practice and CONFIDENCE!

See you soon.

Old 09-14-2011, 6:35 PM

Raymond
Will you continue these practices through the winter. I'd like to get a couple practices in before spring.
Old 09-14-2011, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Raymond
Will you continue these practices through the winter. I'd like to get a couple practices in before spring.
Non-stop, all year round, come rain or snow.

If you are qualified to shoot, c'moooooooon down.

PS: Always pop-in here first. You never know when an emergency will pop-up, and it will have to be cancelled. But I will keep this thread updated before every match.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 PM

is there a match this sunday? i really want to go see one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDriver View Post
Most in-laws have a no return policy on wives. But I do understand how you feel. As soon as I left the chappel, I started thinking maybe I should have gotten a different woman. Oh well, I'll just have to wait another 30 years to get the other one. Oh, the pain ...
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
is there a match this sunday? i really want to go see one.
Pistol match every 1st and 3rd Sunday here in Richmond. Will be holding the multigun practice on the first Saturday of October. And I believe there will be a multigun match at Sac Valley for Thanksgiving.

Visitors are always welcome to come watch and ask questions, for practice or matches, with eyes and ears. (Eye protection, and hearing protection).

Underage kids must be accompanied by an adult.

Old 09-27-2011, 1:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, shooters...

dont forget that this Saturday will be the first Saturday of October.

I will be setting-up a decent stage for your multigun practice.

Be there or be square. This practice is for y'all.

See the first post for the requirements.

Old 09-28-2011, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be there. Is the practice for pistol/shotgun, pistol/rifle, or any combo? also, will the practice range with the 6 steel targets be set-up?
Old 09-28-2011, 9:27 AM

I won't be able to run a long distance rifle stage this Saturday. There will only be the multi-gun stage Raymond is running on the Action Range bay.
Old 09-28-2011, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
I'll be there. Is the practice for pistol/shotgun, pistol/rifle, or any combo? also, will the practice range with the 6 steel targets be set-up?
Any combination of long gun...only.

Yes...there will also be a static line bay, as well as an action bay.

Old 09-30-2011, 7:43 PM

Ill be there tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2011, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Damn. Got my first ever DQ. My new bladetech DOH's screws came loose and my pistol popped out of the holster while running. I'm glad the pistol was unloaded. Good thing I found out about this today before it happens with a loaded pistol tomorrow at Chabot. One thing to take away from this is I'll make damn sure my screws are nice and tight before each stage.

Make sure your screws are TIGHT, folks.
Old 10-01-2011, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
Damn. Got my first ever DQ. My new bladetech DOH's screws came loose and my pistol popped out of the holster while running. I'm glad the pistol was unloaded. Good thing I found out about this today before it happens with a loaded pistol tomorrow at Chabot. One thing to take away from this is I'll make damn sure my screws are nice and tight before each stage.

Make sure your screws are TIGHT, folks.
Yep.....And leave the pistol in your range bag if the stage doesn't require it. Less sh*t to carry on the belt, less chance of a DQ. Also, I always crank down the screws for 3gun. There's always a chance you'll be running with a hot pistol.......
Old 10-01-2011, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Well shooters, another successful multigun Saturday is in the record books.

We had an excellent showing today, and it looked like EVERYONE left with much faster times, and new tricks up their sleeves.

I got there at 0715 in the morning, and I am just getting home at 1800 hours. I ended-up setting-up a second stage for tomorrows pistol match as well. (Whew...me tired)! The multigun stage was built with thought, as I always try to incorporate different aspects of multigunning when I build them.

I'm telling you, shooters...if you are interested in multigunning, this is THE place to learn. We have great multigunners at our range. National-level folks! And if you do not leave here faster and better trained after a practice, then you came here with serious diarrhea and were not focusing!!!

The new SAFE MULTIGUNNER CLASS will commence in December. If you are interested in taking the class, contact me. If you have never shot a multigun match before, then this is a "MUST HAVE" class. You will get at least 3 hours of classroom instruction, and about the same amount of range time. Once the class is done, you will be cleared to join our monthly multigun practice, as well as being able to shoot any multigun match we sponsor/hold.

Anyhoo...it was a good practice today, and just about everyone left with large grins on their faces. (Except for James. Sorry bud. But at least you got it out of the way).

It is ALWAYS nice meeting new shooters!

See y'all next month!!

415 377.8042
Droid: RaymondMillbrae@gmail.com

PS: And, Chad...well...all I can say is I owe you a sammich next time I see you, Thanks for the help in setting up the stage this morning!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 5:38 PM

Raymond

My friends and I had a great time! Today was a very challenging stage, especially for being the first time.

Thanks for the pointers. Learned a lot on the fly. November date already on the schedule.

Larry
Old 10-01-2011, 7:18 PM

Thanks Raymond again.

I had a lot of fun today and I could tell my time is getting faster after every run.

See you next month.
Old 11-03-2011, 2:09 AM
Veteran Member

OK, shooters...

Its that time of month again. Come rain or snow, the multigun stage will be set this coming Saturday the 5th.

Got that multigun itch?

Been watching videos of the Vegas Multigun Nationals that recently past two weeks ago?

Dreaming of glory?

Well...practice makes perfect, and the stage will be set-up for y'all to play.

See you there, bright and early.

Old 11-03-2011, 7:29 PM

Unfortunately work is in the way again this month and I will not be able to put up a 200 yard rifle stage for this Saturday.

I am pretty sure I can do so for the December Multi-Gun Saturday Practice.
Old 11-05-2011, 4:10 PM

Thanks Raymond. Great times!
Old 11-05-2011, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Thanks Raymond. Great times!
You guys are getting faster and faster!!

It was a great turn-out today. We had around 16 shooters at one time.

The stage was nice, and built for a little running. But what the hey...you all needed to lose some weight anyways.

Thanks for the help with the finishing touches on the stage.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 11-06-2011 at 1:56 AM..
Old 11-05-2011, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

You 3gunr's don't forget next Sat at Richmond shotgun only practice. Bring a couple 100 rounds of birdshot, a handful of slugs. Stage will be fun,challenging and ready to go at 9:30. Get there a little early and help setup.

see you then
Chris

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 11-06-2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc77 View Post
You 3gunr's don't forget next Sat at Richmond shotgun only practice. Bring a couple 100 rounds of birdshot, a handful of slugs. Stage will be fun,challenging and ready to go at 9:30. Get there a little early and help setup.

see you then
Chris
i'll be there
Old 12-02-2011, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget...multigun practice this Saturday.

Be there, or be slow.

Old 12-02-2011, 6:58 PM

Will be there. Shooting shotgun only... again.
Old 12-03-2011, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

Had a great showing today for the multigun practice.

It was an early morning for me (opened the gates to the range in the early morning), and I stayed until almost 1700 hours. (Built the pistol stage on bay 1 for the Sunday shooters).

Been battling some crazy work hours for the last month and a half, so no time to run or keep in shape. And after building two stages today, and ROing y'all hoodlums all day...me exhausted!

Thanks again for helping me to tear down the stage when we were finished. The person using the bay for the next days pistol match really appreciated it. (I did as well).

Good job guys.

And FYI...for all you guys doing the multigun practices, you should sign-up for some of the long gun matches coming this year. The BARC in particular. You may be pleasantly surprised how your practice is paying off!!

Lord willing, see y'all next month.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 12-03-2011 at 9:23 PM..