Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 AM

Lightbulb Level of permanence for protector on threaded barrel

So, I've been really lusting after a Ruger 22/45 lite.

The big no-no's on these are absence from the roster and that they come from the factory with a threaded barrel. What level of permanence would California state (DOJ) want to see in terms of attaching the thread protector?

Federally, for pinning muzzle devices (for length requirements), the ATF has provided guidelines as to acceptable methods such as blind pin welding or certain temperature varieties of silver solder.

Since this is a California issue, I am thinking there may be a way to attach that wouldn't be permanent, but require tools. Bullet buttons aren't permanent, riveted 10/30 USGI mags aren't irreversibly modified, but both are legal here

Perhaps a hole drilled (parallel with the bore) in the protector lined up with a hole tapped for a set screw in the end of the barrel housing.

Or, maybe the same method as blind pinning, but with a set screw instead of a welded-over pin.

Putting aside issues of the roster, any thoughts ?
Old 01-22-2013, 2:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Blind pin welding and high temp silver solderring would be the safe harbor rules and almost certainly defensible. Also, high strength epoxy and a barrel nut with no flats was apparently used to resolve the Walther P22 fiasco several years ago.

Anything other than those methods is likely charting unknown waters in California in regard to prosecution. Would red loctite substitute for epoxy as you'd have to apply considerable heat and a wrench of some kind? Who knows.

Personally anything removable with just a screw driver/allen wrench would cause me great concern but my imagined tolerance for prison food/life is less than some peoples.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM

I'm dealing w/ this issue right now... I'll be moving to the Bay Area in about two months. I love my BlackLite for steel challenge and falling plates... I definitely want to bring it with me.
I'm currently designing a custom compensator (hopefully one that actually works and looks good) that I'll permanently attach it to the threads per CA laws. I'm working with Jason of madmacs, great guy.
The Comp will have a set screw and once in place, I'll drill a hole into the threads for the set screw to lock into. Then I'll have a a local shop tig weld the hole shut.
http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical...pensators.html.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM

You could always buy another version of the 22/45 and then a non-threaded upper from Tactical Solutions or someone else. They're just like the Lite uppers:

Various colors and designs available (often in stock on brownell's or midway or gunbroker, etc):

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/ta...series-pistols

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

It is more difficult for us to get the TacSol uppers down here.

It's the serialized part of the pistol and can't be sold because it's not on The List.

We have to wait for someone to bring one in from out of state or buy one from someone who is exempt. Phooey.

But when I do, I aim to misbehave.
Old 01-22-2013, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
It is more difficult for us to get the TacSol uppers down here.

It's the serialized part of the pistol and can't be sold because it's not on The List.
Oh wow! I'm actually familiar with all of the CA laws (lived there for the past 11 years), but did not realize that the upper on the 22/45 was the serialized part! I assumed it was the frame. Holy crap, mind blown. I even own one and I didn't realize it

Mine:

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-22-2013, 5:51 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Yep, it McSucks.

The Tacsol upper for the Buckmark is good to go, serialized frame, but I haven't convinced myself that I need one yet.

But when I do, I aim to misbehave.
Old 01-29-2013, 3:08 PM

I really want a BlackLite, I'm currently trying to figure out how to obtain one. I know a FFL who would be willing to SSE it for me if I'm able to get an extended barrel to get the barrel to 6". Since I know how to machine a bit can I just cut an aluminum pipe and tap it so it'll fit or do I have to use a 22lr barrel?
Old 01-29-2013, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

The gun must be able to function while in exempted form.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Mag lock it, then screw a long barrel extension on there and DROS it. When you get it from the FFL, inquire with the DOJ as to what would be an accptable means of covering up the threads. If they refuse, then you already have it mag locked so the threads won't matter.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.