Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-12-2015, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
So I was at * because they were hiring for a PC tech position. While I was there, there was an old guy at the counter. He had a laptop with winblows 10 on it and he lost his password.

Soooooooooo for $129 the guy at * was going to WIPE out his drive and replace it with windows 7 I think.

But then the old man asked about all of his photos etc etc. SO for $199 the guy at * would now back up his data, wipe out his windows 10, put on windows 7 (or maybe he would just load up windows 10, but I thought he was loading windows 7) AND put his data back.

All of this because there was no way to get past your user name/password once you lock yourself out. (I already figured it was a combination of Migration Wizard and the NT offline password editor...)

OMFG...

I did nothing. I felt that if I cut in and told the guy at the counter that I would help this guy out, not only would I be kissing good-bye any opportunity to work at *, but by helping this poor old man out it might not lead to me being employed full time.

I was hoping that the old man would take his laptop and go outside, at which point I would help him out, but he did not. I could have unlocked his laptop from the trunk of my car. I feel guilty and ashamed that I did not help him, but at that same note, I minded my own business and did not make any enemies. But I could not help but think, did this guy at * really know that they could have unlocked it, or by policy they are not allowed to do that. OR did he just see a way to capitalize and make money off of this poor old man's trouble?

Does * train their people to do this? I would think that good customer service would have allowed the guy to take the computer in the back and unlock it and then return it for a $50 fee if that. I mean, it is a 5 minute procedure aint it?

If this guy did this because he was trained to do this, do I want to work there or will I find it hard to not steal customers away and fix their stuff for them on the side?

I think I will make business cards. I could have made $50 today and if * may not hire me anyways so I should have taken him and been the day saver for him.

This is sad.
I did this at CompUSA several years ago. Guys puter wasn't working. Showed all the signs of memory chip "creep". They wanted to charge him $300 to fix it. I stepped in, and offered to do it for $25. Opened his case right there, pulled the Memchips, and reset them. Took all of two minutes. Was done even before the manager came out to "intervene".

I was asked to leave the store, and not come back. BTW, I didn't get the job.

Most satisfying part? Guy called me at home a couple hours later, said his computer worked perfectly, and drove 15 miles to my house to pay me the $25.

I ended up building systems for his family, and made some good money, because of a random act of kindness.

You sir, lack ethics. Learn from the guilt, and do random acts of kindness in the future.

My question to you?

Why would you want to work for a company that treats their customers that way?

Last edited by Dragunov; 10-12-2015 at 2:13 PM..
Old 10-12-2015, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
Replace * with "local gun store" and "laptop" with "gun".

If you are in your local gun store and some widower comes in to sell her deceased husbands gun, do you get involved when you perceive that the owner is low balling her?

My take is that unless you are paying the rent you have no business interfering in their business.
I sure wish I did!
Old man comes in with a SS Navy 1911 (a real one) and the LGS gives him $225.00 for it. Says they aren't worth much. It was not a safe queen, but nothing was wrong with it and no real scratches of any kind.
I bit through my lip watching all of this. And after the man left, I asked the LGS if he would sell it to me sight unseen and for how much. He just laughed at me and said he's planning on selling it in the 1K range after he cleans it.
Old 10-12-2015, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Should have helped him out OP. It sounds like the store was taking advantage of him because of his age. Who knows...maybe by stepping in and showing your skills you would have gotten a leg up on the job.
Unfortunately, I believe he would've been treated the same way I was. Resume hit the round file, and banned from the premises. Oh well, at least I slept well that night.
Old 10-12-2015, 2:57 PM

maybe it was part of your interview... a test where they wanted to see if you would step in and help... both from a moral perspective and from a technical knowledge perspective. probably not, but who knows...

i've had similar situations and i try to pull the person aside when the salesperson isn't around and help out... like explaining that someone doesn't need to pay hundreds of dollars for monster cable at best buy, or that they can use acetone or their wife's nail polish instead of the special $20 "ABS glue" at tap plastics.

but bottom line, people should feel free to shop around if they don't like a price or think there might be a better solution to their problem. we consult "experts" (doctor, mechanic, gunsmith, computer repair, realtor, insurance agent, etc) because we ourselves can't be experts in everything. if we don't like what we hear, we are always free to walk away and get a second opinion...
Old 11-04-2015, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirac View Post
I told the Manager in my loud 6'4" 250 lb voice.

The important question is - Do you have visible abs?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They have not called me back but that is fine. I have a much better job that I picked up, well, more of an opportunity, right now it is temp, but if I prove myself to be a decent guy then I will be pulled on board for 3x+ what any positions that I have applied for previously during this dry spell...

I am having business cards drafted for future cases like this though.

I also have no more interest in working for Staples. I reported what I saw in their FEEDBACK on the site and after three+ weeks they have failed to get back to me so **** them. Hopefully in the future I will be in a much better position to help people and offer my assistance when I see things like this happen.

Until then, I will enjoy playing with the trains...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 11-06-2015, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Why didn't you ask the dude if he was pro gun? If he said yes, help him. If he said no...he deserves to be dry raped EVERY DAY. Than you could move along in your life in peace.

That kind of financial rape is rampant and applauded in America in every friggin purchase you make except gasoline. And now they want to prosecute Exxon for global warming but we all drove the SUV's.

Staples...another mitt Romney invention.
Old 11-06-2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
A few years back I was a large sporting event with "bowl" in the title as part of a corporate sponsership deal. My company had more tickets than we had people attending and then we had some last minute no shows as well. It didnt feel right to try and sell the tickets as they had come from the company free. So rather than walking into the game with high $ unused tickets in my pocket we set up camp near some obvouis scalpers and then proceeded to give away tickets to couples and families getting ready to spend $$& with the scalpers.

Lots of happy and shocked nice folks (some thought it was a trick) and lots of PO'ed scalpers.

Seemed like a win-win to me.

MMn, I would have sold the tickets and sent the money to a good charity.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Default Unfortunately this is the reality

I do help folks get their machines up and running, but there are bunch of people especially grandpas who really don't know much about Windows. They go to Best Buy to get ripped every time.

It is opportunistic for these stores, and high profit margins. Some basic education helps. I guess if the need is just browsing and shopping, a basic Chrome PC may be the best option for many.

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." - British Statesman
Old 11-07-2015, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Does * BEST BUY train their people to do this?
Yeah, they do - but I'll keep quiet about it if it'll help you out.