Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-13-2016, 6:02 PM

Default Camp Perry 2016

Am I just really bad with the search function or has nobody started a Camp Perry discussion?

I know there are shooters from California who make the trek. Last year I scored for a Californian shooter. We shared the common bond of both living behind the iron curtain. I believe there is also the Grizzlies junior team from California.

Anyone from Calguns.net going to be there?
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM
Doesn't Abide
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They might not be on this site.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

They're here.most of the Ca Serv Rifle team is leaving next week.A couple I know are rving to Perry.The jrs fly out next wed.
It has been eight years since I last attended the national matches and I don't expect to go back for a couple more years.If youre not physically and mentally ready for such an ordeal,its best to stay home.

Last edited by highpower790; 07-14-2016 at 5:36 PM..
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Doesn't Abide
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They are on this site.
Old 07-15-2016, 9:30 AM

If anyone from Calguns is scoring for an ugly guy from New York who can't hit the ten ring offhand, please say hello.

The blue double jogging stroller shooting cart usually gives me away.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...or-camp-perry/
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/sports/...e-championship
Old 07-18-2016, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenblacksmith View Post
The picture from 2009 shows the kids getting ready for the "rattle battle match "600yd stage.In 2009 the Grizzlies were the first civilian team to win the "rattle battle " in 70years.
Old 07-18-2016, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going. Forecast is a lot of rain, lots of humidity but the temperatures look fairly reasonable. I'm glad the huts have AC now.

I doubt I'm ready (mentally or physically) but I've given up waiting for that to work out. I'll go and whatever happens it will be a good time. I'm not at the top of my game yet but that's what prep period is for right?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
I'll go and whatever happens it will be a good time.
Definitely a good time and stories to share afterwards. Let's face it, only like 100 or so of the competitors (maybe less) are truly "ready" for Camp Perry. Everyone else is just there for the camaraderie and good time, and perhaps to set some personal bests.
Old 07-21-2016, 7:09 PM

The Grizzlies arrived in Ohio today.

When there, do not miss the fantastic sprint car racing at Attica and Fremont Raceways. Both are just a little bit south of Camp Perry. And after the Team dinner, join the kids at the go-cart track and put a few of them in the wall. All in the name of Team-building!!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Hoping the Grizzlies and milotrain shot better than I did on Tuesday. At first I was just like "oh well" and didn't get too upset about my score since I shot decently on Sunday and Monday. Then on the drive home it occurred to me what my mistake was, and it's all so stupid that I'm kicking myself now.
Old 07-27-2016, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
Hoping the Grizzlies and milotrain shot better than I did on Tuesday. At first I was just like "oh well" and didn't get too upset about my score since I shot decently on Sunday and Monday. Then on the drive home it occurred to me what my mistake was, and it's all so stupid that I'm kicking myself now.
The high jr in the pres 100 is a CA Grizzlie,and todays Freedom Fire 2man jr match saw a pair of Grizzlies win with a 979 -39x setting a record.
Old 07-27-2016, 3:55 PM

Very nice. I saw a substantial number of blue Grizzlies shirts while I was there.
Old 07-27-2016, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARFAB View Post
Definitely a good time and stories to share afterwards. Let's face it, only like 100 or so of the competitors (maybe less) are truly "ready" for Camp Perry. Everyone else is just there for the camaraderie and good time, and perhaps to set some personal bests.
This is kind of what I thought.

Most of the team pictures I see in my GCA magazine consist of old, grey haired dudes, at least half of whom are overweight.

Not that being physically fit hurts......it is just that some of you in this thread are making it sound like Marine boot camp LOL.

I would love to shoot at Camp Perry one day.....but owning a business and being a dad and husband means I don't have the time.
I would have to go there INSTEAD of our yearly summer vacation, and my wife wouldn't be happy about that (although she wouldn't stop me).
Old 07-28-2016, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

The Grizzlies set another jr record today in the 6man,breaking a record they set 4yrs ago.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
The Grizzlies set another jr record today in the 6man,breaking a record they set 4yrs ago.
Very cool.
Old 07-29-2016, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

With all the anti-gun sentiment in the California political culture it’s a shame that such great accomplishments as these young California Grizzlies just pulled off will go unpublicized and unrecognized. Most other states would probably give them a party at the Governor’s office and a parade down Main Street.

I do applaud the support and encouragement that these juniors were given by their parents and coaches if not by our - cough - cough - public servants.
Old 07-30-2016, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in Chicago on my way back home from the 2016 National Matches (CMP phase). I didn't have time to shoot NRA week this year unfortunately but I wanted to give people a debrief from a first time competitor.

The great news is that anyone can go and enjoy the matches, it is not just for those who want to win and there is so much to do and so many interesting shooters to meet that it is a really wonderful trip even not including any shooting. I was particularly taken by how amazing all the junior teams are, these kids are squared away and they have a level of confidence in themselves that makes spending time with them like spending time with enthusiastic smaller adults. I can't say enough about how thoughtful, polite and respectful the juniors are from all the clubs I met. I was constantly wrong about how old these kids were, thinking that they must be older high school students to speak so well and be so aware of their surroundings only to find that many were not yet out of middle school.

If you have a child who is interested in shooting you owe it to yourself and to them to start investigating the California Grizzlies. You would be hard pressed to find an environment that instilled a greater sense of maturity and self awareness in a youngster. I simply figured that kids like this didn't exist anymore, and then I spent a week with 23 of them.

Personally I had a hard P100 and NTI, as I just couldn't get the jitters out of my head. I took a day off and pulled targets for the juniors on Wednsday and then shot the six man team match (NTT) out of competition. I had a great team coach/captain who gave me a little extra time in offhand and it was exactly what I needed to square my head and shoot a personal best. I finished 35th out of 500 or so shooters and I couldn't be more happy. Friday brought my favorite match of the program "Rattle Battle" and our California team ended up third overall of civilian teams. Our juniors beat us taking second overall.

My memories of this trip are not going to be of the shooting, although it was sweet at times. It will be of the friendships, and the mutual support that seems unique to this sport of highpower. Where else do people coming off the line at the most famous rifle match in the nation (P100) share with you the wind call they made and if it worked, even knowing that they are handing you the chance to beat them?

Colors at 0700, the howitzer booms out and a single bugler who played the national anthem every day that week tones out across the base where people have shot these matches since 1907. It really did feel significant staring at that flag and listening to the anthem of our freedom.
Old 07-30-2016, 7:02 PM

It really bites to come back to "reality". California has the best Team in the U.S. That does not necessarily mean the best shooters, but a great group of individuals that come together to form a cohesive TEAM. Although the Grizzlies won EVERY award, except one. Not too bad for a gun-banning state.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
My memories of this trip are not going to be of the shooting, although it was sweet at times. It will be of the friendships, and the mutual support that seems unique to this sport of highpower. Where else do people coming off the line at the most famous rifle match in the nation (P100) share with you the wind call they made and if it worked, even knowing that they are handing you the chance to beat them?
It is a really neat crowd to hang out with. There's something beautiful and oh so American about a crowd of 1500 people all wandering around the range with their rifles. Lots of fun conversations with good people during pit duty, the chance to watch some freakishly talented shooters perform, and the camaraderie with friends keeps me going back.
Old 08-04-2016, 5:11 AM

Congratulations to the Grizzlies. Totally impressive. Especially coming from a state that is trying so hard to limit gun rights.

http://thecmp.org/civilian-stephens-...s-rifle-match/