Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 06-06-2015, 6:44 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^good advice. I think learning to be a successful waterfowl hunter us the toughest thing to do on your own. Also check over at the refuge forums in the california subgroup. They can be itchy and grumpy but there are some real good people over there who may offer to help.

Here's some info from DU on calling and such. http://www.ducks.org/hunting/duck-calling?poe=6-15ENews

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowsza View Post
in for one just in case the russians come
Old 06-22-2015, 7:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Well, it's almost that time of the year and I need to get some gear, because I don't want to keep borrowing decoys from my friends. I need decoys and would like to get a game cart and sled. I hope Cabelas will have the game cart's on sale in a couple of months. Currently I have 2 dozen decoys, 1 butt's up motion and 2 magent quivers. I noticed a higher success rate after I added the quivers.

Knowing I need to add to the spread, can anybody post which retailer I should watch for any pre season decoy sales? Also, I've been looking for a sled in all the wrong places. Not something found in a SoCal sporting goods store. I do travel a bit, so any help would be grateful

--Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-22-2015, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

2 doz. decoys should be plenty to get started, you might want to add a couple of goose decoys, floaters or land.

As for where to look watch all of the retailers and catalog shops they'll have their preseason sales up pretty soon.
Old 06-23-2015, 5:44 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Look at Rodgers sporting goods online. Plus browse cabelas bargain cave frequent. 2 dozen is enough as many more than that can start getting tough to push at the refuge. The quivers just make ripples which on a calm day makes your decoys look like real duck activity vs. Non-moving fake ducks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Old 07-12-2015, 3:45 PM

Great post
Old 07-27-2015, 4:06 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Now is a good time to find deals on stuff both in the classifieds (dude selling cabelas breathable waders for $100 used like 2x) and other sites.

I bought a Bill Saunders Traffic call and am anxious to try it out. I'm also going to pick up a Barcode for specks.
Quote:
Old 07-27-2015, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

guns fishing has jackets 12 off in Dublin
Old 07-27-2015, 5:21 PM

Great info, lewdogg!!!

More than enough info to help me decide that duck hunting is NOT for me. Just got my 1st hunting license to do some pheasant hunting later in the year and will just plan to leave it at that.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
Great info, lewdogg!!!

More than enough info to help me decide that duck hunting is NOT for me. Just got my 1st hunting license to do some pheasant hunting later in the year and will just plan to leave it at that.
It's something that you can never master but the challenge is what keeps you coming back for more. Just find someone who goes (preferably they kill birds) and tag along. Every refuge hunter loves a tag along who is a willing cart pusher or decoy carrier.
Quote:
Old 09-25-2015, 7:47 PM

Thank you for the very informative write up! You answered a lot of questions I had! May your waterfowl season be plentiful!
Old 10-04-2015, 8:04 PM

I have a pair of neoprene waders that make me sweat like crazy at times. Do you think it is a good buy to get a cheap pair of hip boots for the early season hunts? I am mostly hunting refuges and jump shooting on a family member's ranch.
Old 10-04-2015, 8:22 PM

Keep the neoprene. When you hunt the refuge bring some sweats and wear them to your pond/blind then put your neoprene's on. As far as jump shooting I couldn't tell you left or right?!?!
Old 10-05-2015, 8:11 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerestraint View Post
I have a pair of neoprene waders that make me sweat like crazy at times. Do you think it is a good buy to get a cheap pair of hip boots for the early season hunts? I am mostly hunting refuges and jump shooting on a family member's ranch.
Are they 3mm or 5mm? 5mm will bake you anywhere in the valley if you have to walk very far at all. I consider 5mm to be good for standing in cold water all day or when hunting in sub-freezing conditions where you have to get in the water.

I used to wear hip boots all the time when hunting the rice for this very reason. They are great provided you don't need to go in water up above your knee and there aren't "holes" where you are hunting. Since I bought some breathable waders I haven't worn hip boots. A way to keep the sweatiness factor down with neoprene is don't put them on until you need to get in the water. Thus wear a pair of thin sweats or something that will keep you comfortable underneath the waders out to the jump off point. Ideally you want something that wicks the moisture away from your body since neoprene will keep any moisture in the wader with you.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2015, 6:54 PM

Thanks for the response Lewdogg. Breathable waders aren't in the budget this year. I may try your idea of only putting them on when I need to go in the water.
Old 10-05-2015, 7:23 PM

Great thread Lewdogg
Originally Posted by Rusty_Buckhorn View Post
WTF are "illegal nationals"? Being that they aren't from here, wouldn't that make them "illegal internationals"?
We're not supposed to judge all Muslims by the acts of a few "crazies".
But the acts of a few American "crazies" is enough to judge all Americans who own guns.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Great post. Thank you

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 10-12-2015, 8:06 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerestraint View Post
Thanks for the response Lewdogg. Breathable waders aren't in the budget this year. I may try your idea of only putting them on when I need to go in the water.
Even with breathables I think it's more comfortable to wear regular boots to the point where you need to put the waders on/go in the water if you need to walk a long ways (more than a mile or so). HOWEVER, keep in mind even when it's dry out that the morning dew can soak your feet so while you might not be walking through the water if you need to walk through some brush or weeds either wear waterproof boots or bring a dry pair of socks.

Wet feet is up there on the misery scale.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2016, 8:17 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

With the spraying the pond pass shooting thread I think it's time to kick the tires on this thread and open it up for any questions. If somebody has a question that they don't want to ask on here feel free to PM me.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2016, 5:29 PM

Why don't I ever draw any refuges worth hunting?
Old 11-23-2016, 5:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
PART 2

Waders Ė Neoprene or breathable. This advice is based upon the Sacramento Valley down to SoCal.

I prefer breathable as I donít like the sweatiness of neoprene and itís like being in a plastic bag. However breathables arenít nearly as hardy. I like boot foot, not stocking foot but thatís personal preference. Regardless a good pair of breathable socks helps keep you dry and warm. I will wear a pair of sweatpants or fleece pants under my breathables. If itís sub freezing I will wear a good pair of long underwear under my fleece pants. As far as neoprene 3mm is fine. 5mm is like going to a sweatlodge unless you are hunting NE California or out of state where below freezing is the norm. When putting your waders on roll the legs down to the top of the boot so you can literally step right into the boot and then pull the wader up. Also bring a folding chair or use your tailgate to sit on or even sit in the back of your pickup while putting them on or taking them off. If you are a ninja like me you can do it standing up. However I have fallen over while doing the ďstand on one leg like a stork trickĒ in the past few years as Iím a little bit older and fatter than my ninja youth.

If you hunt a lot in neoprene a boot dryer may be just what you need to ensure your waders aren't damp and clammy when you put them on or away. A poor mans boot dryer is to stuff newspaper into the boots and change it out every few hours until it's dry.

Calls Ė The best call is the call in your pocketÖ.ever notice when your packing up decoys not a care in the world that pair of mallards locks up and comes in? Thereís a reason. I like calls and I consider myself a good caller but on a California Refuge theyíve heard it before. If you have private land thatís where calling can help a ton. Youíll have the opportunity to work birds and they are more responsive. On a refuge Iíve rarely seen the call make a difference. Itís just something to pass time.

The most debated topic in America. ďX calls work great but Y calls suckĒ. Think Ford Vs. Chevy. Nobody is born with a call in their mouth when they come out of the womb, not even the duck whisperer. There are plenty of lessons, info, lies, and other crap on the net about calls so I wonít go into it. However a wingsetter or other whistle that does widgeon, sprig, teal, etc. is pretty easy to learn and sometimes works better than any mallard call.

Here are the proper sounds, not necessarily the proper cadence as in a real calling situation.
Mallard: http://youtu.be/YMf0vuyEYJA

Pintail, widgeon, teal: http://youtu.be/9PL8Heosta0

Speck and canada: http://youtu.be/_sYI7cukaUE I can make the sounds of specks but only know how to call back to one talking or maybe sound like two different specks answering each other. The two world champ red bone guys turn my gibberish into a masterpiece. I've set up for specks in a field um, fewer than the fingers on one hand in my life. I find that I can pull groups of up to 4-5 to me and finish if I have decoys, more than that it's a lost cause. Without decoys it's a pull them to you and pass shoot except for the occasional suicide speck who wants to land even though you have no goose decoys. He's just that lonesome.

Canada comeback: http://youtu.be/a6Dy292RVMg After shooting into them I'll do this and it works sometimes. Plus a collection of Canada sounds that could be in a calling situation. When field hunting I am usually a secondary caller as opposed to the primary caller who is the guy who finishes them.

Bill Saunders Call Review thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1110669

Camo Ė if you are hidden well you can probably doing fine wearing earth tones. You need a camo ballcap and facemask/face paint. The bill on the ballcap help hides your forehead and face from the watchful eyes above. The skin tone on a personís face is like a shining beacon when the sun is out.

Movement Ė People move around too much. Do you really think those ducks donít notice that head swiveling back and forth? Keep your face close to the front of the blind and just peer above it with your eyes (with your head near or below ground level. Move your eyes not your head. Do not turn your head or especially body until the ducks have gone past you. They will catch you moving. If you want to consistently kill ducks sit down or keep at, near, or below ground level if you are in a pit blind. Yeah you can kill ducks standing up in the blind or taking a whiz and in fact I did it last weekend but your probability of success goes way up by being smart. Mature mallards donít get that way dive bombing you while you are sitting on top of the blind.

Sound Ė LOWER YOUR VOICE. Sound travels great up or across the water. Talk quietly or not at all. Donít talk the entire time. Donít bang stuff together or clank stuff. Donít yell out ďHEY I SEE DUCKSĒ. Rather when you finally get in the blind before daylight establish which was is North/South/East West or use the hands of the clock. Nothing is more frustrating than ďDucks coming inĒ with no reference to the direction. This is also a great time to discuss safety while still in the dark before the hunting starts.

Safety Ė Duck hunting is probably about the most dangerous hunting as you are in a concrete or steel tank with loaded guns and another guy right next to you. Itís very easy to be careless and shoot over the top of someone thereby deafening them or worse. Also if you are hunting with someoneís dog you need to ALWAYS be aware where the dog is so you do not shoot the dog. Do not assume that the dog will never be in your line of fire. If there is any question do not shoot. I tell people that Iím hunting with that if they shoot my dog my wife will divorce me and that means I will be coming to live with you. Iím not joking when I say that either. If somebody is consistently unsafe do not hunt with them. Itís not worth it.

Guns and Shotshells Ė Anything can work. Just remember steel shot only for waterfowl. Find a shotgun that fits you great. What I mean by that is when you throw it up is your face is already aligned with the sights as you point a shotgun rather than aim it like a rifle. Sometimes you canít hit your own *** with both hands but if your gun fits you good you can also be the high gunner in the blind. Donít think about it too much when the birds are coming in. I had 3 widgeon on my side last weekend that came right in and I was thinking that I was going to triple. I didnít kill a single one.

For shotshells the faster is better with steel. I like #3ís or #4ís for ducks but thatís b/c they pattern well. I shoot estate and have some estate and others over 10+ years old. They worked just fine last weekend. I also shoot Rio and black cloud. Just personal preference and b/c I have about 60-70 boxes of steel already. Find something that patterns well in your gun. Anything from #4-#2ís is fine for ducks. For geese I will sometimes use #2ís backed up by #BBís or just all #BBís if Iím just goose hunting. However Iíve killed geese with #3ís before.
Great posts.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 11-24-2016, 1:03 PM

I am hunting at point mugu navy base on Saturday with a buddy of mine. The blind we got assigned is on a large creek. Any tips for decoy layout on a creek? Do you lay them out the same way as a pond?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 1:01 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^ without seeing it I cannot say exactly what I would do (sorry for late response) but if it's a creek and not a flooded marsh that happens to have a creek meanduring through then I would do fewer decoys as birds will travel the creek as a flyway. You could probably get away with as few as 2 to a dozen decoys max.

Just be sure that when you toss them out in the AM (pre-shoot time) that you don't throw them to where the decoy weight lines aren't too short and you can retrieve them without water going over your waders (ie: the creek is deep).
Quote:
Old 12-02-2016, 1:50 PM

Thanks. I ended up taking 8 decoys of mixed species. Creek was 6 inches of water and 10 feet of mud. I was up to my crotch in mud and not touching anything solid.

We setup up before shoot time, but nothing was flying. Scouted some different blinds. Looking at getting some full body decoys to setup on the dry land.

Old 01-03-2017, 3:38 AM

Well... Thanks you very much, Lewdogg21
Your article has a lot of useful information, and it's quite full guide
Follow your guide in duck hunting season of this year
Hopefully it will be a success
Old 01-06-2017, 9:58 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I just updated the section under calling with a link to a quick read about when to call, when not to call ducks. Link also below.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/NF-T...&ctb=MAINFEAT3
Quote:
Old 01-10-2017, 5:07 PM

Great info in this thread. Wondering how necessary a dog is for retrieval when duck hunting in CA?
Old 01-10-2017, 7:02 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Not required unless you can't get the birds where they are falling. If that's the case than just find another spot, bring a boat, waders, figure it out etc. If no dog sluice anything that hits the water and has its head up.

Quote: