Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training. > Training Class Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training Class Announcements Announce and/or Advertise your training classes here.

Old 06-21-2011, 8:01 AM

Default Operation Specific Training - 2 day Practical Fundamentals - Merced, CA - October 1-2

Back by popular demand, the OpSpec Training crew is coming back to the Safety First Shooting Association at the River Oaks Range in Merced, CA.

Here are the details:

Who: Operation Specific Training
Instructors:
Jerry Jones
Bruce Gray

What: 2 days of hands on pistol training.

This course teaches the techniques and philosophy of what we believe a shooter needs to improve to their full potential. This is not a beginning handgun course.
Practical Fundamentals may be repeated several times to further one's understanding of the concepts involved.

Learn:
Controlling the trigger, with all platforms and trigger types, to achieve an accurate shot
Acquiring proper sight alignment, on a target, and allowing the shot to happen
Recoil management and making accurate followup shots
Efficient grip, presentation of the gun and shooting stance
Finding your personal sphere of dexterity
Reloading your platform efficiently and reliably
Transitioning between targets without wasted movement and placing accurate shots
Accurate shooting while on the move
Make a shot that will stun you with the ability you have acquired

Where: River Oaks Range - Safety First Shooting Association
11584 N. Shaffer Rd.
Winton, CA
http://www.safetyfirstshooting.org

When: October 1 & 2, 2011.

Class size and qualifications:
Presently limited to 24 students

Pre-requisite:
An open mind and a willingness to learn. Students should have completed a basic safety/CCW class prior to attempting this course.

Course Pricing: $200 per day
Range fees: $20 per day

Forum member / Local Host: David T. -

Ammunition, Attire and Equipment:

Pistol: A reliable and safe service pistol

Holster: Vertical-drop Kydex holster and multiple magazine pouches on a proper gun belt

Magazines: 6 (Minimum) and magazine loading tool

Ear Protection: Electronic hearing protection recommended

Eye protection: Eye protection is mandatory at all timeson the range.

Footwear: Close toe shoes such as boots, tennis shoes, running shoes etc.(open toe shoes are not acceptable)

Other things to consider: hat, sunscreen, hand towel, cleaning kit and gun grease / lubricant

What to bring to an (OST) Pistol Course -
http://opspectraining.com/training.php#1

How to sign up:
http://www.opspectraining.com/signup.php

Questions: Please feel free to contact the following staff members if you have any questions or concerns about this or any other OpSpec Course.
Kyle Sandlin - Training Coordinator - kyle@opspectraining.com or 270-983-0836
Jerry Jones - Director of Training - jerry@opspectraining.com

Where to stay:

Best Western - 1033 Motel Drive, Merced, CA
Courtyard By Mariott - 750 Motel Drive, Merced, CA
Ramada Inn - 2000 E Childs Ave, Merced, CA
Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Signed up last week
Old 06-29-2011, 6:02 AM

Default Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the class. It looks like the class is approaching 1/2 full.

We're looking forward to another exceptional experience around here. With Bruce and Jerry coming off of Guncamp the week before, they ought to be in top form to move each of us along.

It doesn't hurt that Roy Nelson and Bruce Gray finished as the top team at the International Bianchi Cup last month with Bruce setting two new national records. Bruce finished 4th overall in the Production Division while narrowly losing to Rob Leatham in the speed shooting final. The Production Division is much like a defense handgun with a 4 pound trigger so when Bruce and Jerry teach about this stuff, they back it with results. Bruce says that Jerry out-shoots him on many-a-day. They are both good communicators who present nuance and detail without being tedious.

I am the local host again and if you have any questions about the area or range, feel free to contact me at the email address in my profile. I posted a review of our last excursion that is now found at the Grayguns.com site as "A Student's Perspective - Practical Fundamentals." http://grayguns.com/a-students-persp...-fundamentals/ This course has something for every level of shooter at the same time. . . . . a very rewarding two days.

Carved out of the flood plain of the Merced River, one finds the River Oaks Range. The range is on private property. Peacocks greet you at the edge of the property and you meander past exotic cattle and buffalo as you settle in.

The buffalo watch in on a lot of the shooting events. It’s just a good thing this is not a trap event because the buffalo have the right to send you packing from there – and do.

Here is the source of the Merced River -Yosemite National Park. I took these pictures a few years ago in October. The setting for Practical Fundamentals is very pastoral and is like shooting in a safely groomed country park.

Here is Bruce being interviewed by Michael Bane last month on Downrange TV: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/drtv-pr...uce-gray/9935/

I also thought you may enjoy this description of Bruce competing in the Speed Finals after the Bianchi Cup:
"Here is a liitle more detail on this mornings events as I recall them. I was fortunate to attend the Colt Speed Shootoff this morning. Contestants were shooting at 4 different height pepper poppers at what what looked like 10 yds. The Production class was made up of Bruce Gray vs. Kevin Worrell and Rob Leatham vs. Enoch Smith (I think). Rob Leatham handily won his heat 2-0. Bruce came up next and also won handily 2-0. These guys are crazy fast, and the targets were spray painted each round so you could see the hits.
This left Bruce and Rob Leatham in the final. Both men had been in the 2.6 second range in their first rounds. I know I was nervous just being in the crowd, I can't imagine how Bruce felt. Round 1 and both men were noticeably faster with Rob at 2.35 and Bruce at 2.40. I can't imagine being accurate at this speed, but both guys were dead on. Bruce was ultra smooth on his draw, and Rob Leatham (who is offensive tackle sized)was just cat quick.
Round 2 and again you could see that the times would be faster. Bruce was a 2.35, and Rob a 2.18. This was the most impressive shooting I have ever witnessed. After the match it looked like Ian from Top Shot was hitting up Mr. Gray for some pointers for his celebrity match later on. . . .."

Last edited by Awedtone; 06-29-2011 at 6:35 AM.. Reason: Fixed image display.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Monday bump!
Old 08-03-2011, 5:13 AM

Bump!

Registration deadline for this class is at the end of the month.

If you're on the fence, now's the time to sign up!

This is our flagship class and, IMHO, one of the best ones out there.

Hope to see you there!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Hump Day Bump!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM

This class is confirmed "GO!"
Old 10-20-2011, 12:09 PM

Bump!