Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 06-23-2005, 8:41 AM

1st it is VERY hard to get a CCW here in Kali. So to answer your quetion, she can't carry it. If the mags hold more than 10rnds you can't bring thim in Kali. If you want to give the gun to your wife I'm pretty sure you don't have to do paper work.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dag2:
Her and I will both have a CCW when we get to CA. I have a Glock 26 and 27 that i purchased for myself through a military discount ....{snip}.... not worried about the getting the CCW in CA cause we both have "just cause" and friends within the local sheriff that make that determination.
OK Glock 26 & 27 should be OK as far as being approved 'safe' guns.

I don't think you'll get your CCW issued until you're a resident, and that your guns have been registered to you two via completing a DOJ "Personal Handgun Importer" form.

Quote:
Do i have to register a weapon with my CCW. meaning is the CCW linked to a particular weapon and you?!?!? If so that would mean i wouldn't be able to alternate between the two.
Exactly. Your CCW is tied to make + model + serial# and I think caliber. If you are CCW'ing a gun not on your CCW license, you're in trouble. It does not seem to be a 'generic' CCW permit. I don't think you could even legally change calibers (say, converting a 40S&W gun to 357Sig) - or rather, caliber changes are perfectly legal, you just can't carry that gun in a caliber not on your CCW.

Now, there is a chance I could be confusing some CA big-city metro requirement with generic state requirements but I generally think what I'm writing here is true.

CA CCWs are much much different than FLA CCWs.

[Oh BTW: 1st time illegal CCW (that is carrying a gun without a CCW permit) is a 'wobbler' crime - a felony if gun is not DROS'd to you, misdemeanor otherwise. ]

I believe that the CCW app must have guns registered to you.

While no law says your gun has to be registered, in CA most newer guns are since if you were in CA you had to get it via an FFL w/paperwork -- since paper-free private party sales are illegal in CA.

The only legal unpapered handguns in this state are from legal private sales before 1/1/91 and from those brought by folks moving into California before 1/1/1998. (CA private party transfers w/o papers were illegal from 1/1/91, and since 1/1/98, handgun importation from out of state required paperwork to be filed 60 days after arrival in CA.)

<LI> I believe the guns must be DROS'd (Dealer Record of Sale form which is used to 'register' handguns to owner) to you. There is a small chance you & wifey _may_ be able to claim joint ownership of both guns.

<LI> There is a small chance that if you did the above (guns registers to you both) _might_ get
both guns on each others' CCW cards. But this is a big if, and may depend on issues beyond your local sheriff's dept.

Bill W
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-23-2005, 9:48 AM

Depending on the county you can list more than one pistol on your CCW.

Some counties charge an additional fee for adding more than 2 pistols...some don't.

Don't know about the registration or joint registration issue.

That's one of the silly laws I don't need to concern myself with. My wife has her guns and I have mine.
Old 06-23-2005, 9:37 AM

Her and will both have a CCW when we get to CA. I have a Glock 26 and 27 that i purchased for myself through a military discount and until the ban was lifted she couldn't carry it only because it was mil/LE bought. I'm not worried about the getting the CCW in CA cause we both have "just cause" and friends within the local sheriff that make that determination.
Old 06-23-2005, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hi Dag...

Sounds like there's two separate subjects here - concealed carry and ownership/possession.

Your wife can't carry your gun unless she also has a CCW. You can't have a CCW and have the gun in your wife's purse (if that's indeed part of what you're asking).

In fact the gun on her or your CCW permit would have to be 'her' gun I believe.

This probably applies to general conventional locked+unloaded (non-CCW) transport as well, though there is the 'infrequent loan for 30 days' provision in the law that would cloud any prosecution - provided of course your wife was not banned from gun ownership (felon, under indictment, has domestic violence or other prohibiting misdemeanor, etc.).

There MAY be a way to register guns w/joint ownership. (This was possible for assault weapon registrations..)

I also believe new CCW guns in CA have to be 'safe guns' - that means they have to be on the CA-approved list of drop-tested guns. The guns you acquired in Florida might well not be on this list and may be considered 'unsafe' even if their identical twin is on approved list.

However, you are indeed allowed to bring handguns - 'unsafe' or otherwise - into CA if you are an out-of-state resident; you are then a 'personal handgun importer'. (This does not count anything that's a California assault weapon.) After you 'move in' to CA you then have 60 days to file reg papers with Cal DOJ for these handguns.

Also don't bring in any hi-cap magazines (holding more than 10 rds) into California. You can bring in guns that accept hicaps, but you can't bring in the hicap mags themselves.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-23-2005, 8:22 AM

I have two guns registered in my name here in the gun lovin' state of FL. Both of which were purchased as military/LE use. However now that the ban was lifted my wife can carry one of my weapons. Is the same true in CA or do i have to transfer one to her?
Old 06-23-2005, 9:44 AM

Do i have to register a weapon with my CCW. meaning is the CCW linked to a particular weapon and you?!?!? If so that would mean i wouldn't be able to alternate between the two?
Old 06-23-2005, 9:45 AM

please tell me i am understanding this wrong!
Old 06-23-2005, 3:11 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The 'official' CCW application form (via Jim March), the one that no one seems to use, has a section for specifying the weapons one desires to carry on the license. It has 3 lines, but adds "Use additional pages if necessary.", so apparently DOJ anticipates 3+ weapons are allowed. What gets done at the local level may be different.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 06-23-2005, 9:34 AM

There's no gun registration in Florida.
Unless you mean they were registered to a police department.

I moved here from Florida 8 years ago.
If you're considering moving here and value your freedom as a gunowner; don't do it.

If you miss being able to buy a handgun and show your CCW to the clerk and receive the pistol in the same day; don't do it.

If you like using standard capacity magazines in Berettas, Sigs, Glocks, etc; don't do it.

If you want to own a rifle similar to what you may have carried in the military or as a police officer(AR-15 platform); don't do it.

If you like being able to legally carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle without CCW or carrying as many guns as you want on a CCW; don't do it.

If you miss being able to trade guns with your other shooting budddies without having to fill out redundant federal and state paperwork and waiting 10 full days to receive your property after submitting fingerprints, etc; don't do it.

If you miss being able to purchase a longgun with no 10-day waiting period; don't do it.

If none of that stuff bothers you and you're more of just a casual gunowner and not a recreational shooter of any kind...then welcome to California.

The gun laws suck but not as bad as the other liberal cesspools like NY or Mass. The weather is nice, though.

I wish I had received this rundown before I left America for this Gulag.