Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-05-2020, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
If you have job protection under federal civil service rules then that helps quite a bit. You still might get passed over for key assignments, due to absences.
And if you DON'T have a government job of some kind then you are only guaranteed to have your civilian job for a year after your deployment. After that your employer is free to fire you so as to save them from seeing you deployed again and leaving them w/o an employee. This actually happened to me in 2004 after a short deployment. Anyway, if you're a young guy go active for at least a couple of years, learn a job that has a good civilian side career path, get out and go to college. But if you are an older guy who wants to get back in the game I'm not sure the Cal. Guard is the best place for you, they play too many games at the expense of the soldier such as claiming there is money for your leadership school AND AT then after you do the AT they cancel your leadership school claiming lack of money [they pulled this at my unit for years] and try to kick out soldier in their last year or two before their 20 for REALLY stupid reasons. Yeah you can call me a 'crybaby' but I've seen ALL of these things happen and the days of the Guard being a 'paycheck of the month club' [2 days a month and 2 weeks a year] are over and it's now it's more like 2 or 3 at's during the year with a deployment every third or fourth year and little soldier support [IrishJoe3's comment of the 'red headed step child' is dead on - when you are deployed you don't belong to the Guard OR the 'Big Army' and they both act like it]...
Old 02-06-2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/l...ion/p4013coll2

The Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) program began in 1964 at the US Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC). CGSC regular course students may elect to take a set of electives, write a thesis, and earn an accredited Masters. This collection contains all the publicly releasable monographs produced since the program began in 1964. MMAS theses provide in-depth research on historical events, operational issues, and organizations, both existing and proposed.

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Jour...at-a-Distance/

****Not only can students enroll in skill identifier-producing programs, they can also pursue a Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) degree as part of the electives program****

It's probably already nothing you don't already know.

What I am NOT finding is the exact course syllabus that spells out the path to the Master's Degree. They say it can be done, but how?
The reason you won't find it is that for the DDE (distance learning) students, it doesn't exist. You have to complete the War College before you can apply. The one's who go to the 10 month ILE course can apply for it and get it.

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.
Old 02-06-2020, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
Supersapper:

Not a CSM yet, infantry line company 1SG. I honestly donít care what pot of money it comes from, I just want to ensure my soldiers and I who take the initiative to knock out these online classes get paid for our efforts, and sadly thereís damn few of us. Only one of my PSGs is actually an E7, and only two of my E6s are promotable with one being my AGR supply Sergeant. Now that I think of it, I am getting a new Readiness NCO and I think heís an E7, but even still, we donít have enough E6s or E5s either.
I agree...anyone who takes the initiative should be rewarded for their efforts. I hate the issue of removing the points and pay they had before.

I'm looking into finding out how to get paid.

Quote:
Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 PM

For everyone’s amusement and edification: I tried this semester to take two on campus classes at a community college in the evenings. Made some adjustments to my day on the ADOS side to allow me to get there on time and factored it into my TDY trips. Well, on the mday side, got a heads up last weekend that our YTC will be changing for the fourth time this year and AT will not be 27 days because we’re doing advon. The new dates conflict by several weeks with finals. I asked if an accommodation was possible and both instructors said it’s not feasible. That’s that. Classes dropped. About 300 in books down the drain. Fortunately the school had waived tuition. So yeah!
Old 02-10-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
Thatís that. Classes dropped. About 300 in books down the drain. Fortunately the school had waived tuition. So yeah!
If this sounds like I'm bragging then I'm sorry, but I'm annoyed low level commanders (Company and Battalion) don't just let things slide in regard to meeting training requirements.

I'm a 47 y/o 1LT so I have a much different perspective than a 27 y/o LT in command. At the end of the day, the USAR training mission doesn't matter. A soldier not being present for AT isn't the end of the world. The fact if I don't make mission requirements of head count, leadership present, and mission capabilities means absolutely nothing.

I am the only one that writes my Annual Performance Review. I refer to things that I accomplished PERIOD, not benchmarks that the unit failed to meet.

So after I started figuring out all the insanity I just blew it off once I figured out I could say "NO", or simply not return voice mails in a timely manner.

I'll get around to it. If the USAR wants my time that comes with a price. Since they don't pay for it, they get the time I have to give them as charity.

I literally let another soldier miss so many BA weekends (in order to attend his weekend MBA school) he came up as a non participant, and guess what, Battalion asked me what the hell was going on.

But you know what? Who cares............... During his most hectic year he STILL HAD FIFTY ONE POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So doesn't matter what higher thought, he still had a "good year".

So that's all that matters. Good years (that count toward retirement years), and getting promoted. Nothing else really matters.

Since that's the case, then why run folks into the ground.

The USAR is oblivious to the fact they are burning up all their Goodwill with soldiers during periods of time where it doesn't matter. Soldiers just walk away the moment the window is opened, and aren't there when the chips are down and the country needs them later.
Old 02-11-2020, 3:48 PM
Veteran Member

Snoopy, will you be my commander?! Standing applause for you sir....

As a PSG, I have seen so many good, motivated patriotic troops come in, sacrifice so much to be a reserve Soldier, only to get treated like crap. Like clockwork, they see through the 'Army Family' lie, they get jaded and burnt and just leave. And my experience leaves with them and I'm stuck leading a perpetual revolving door of inexperienced troops.

Last edited by IrishJoe3; 02-11-2020 at 3:50 PM..
Old 02-11-2020, 7:58 PM

It’s spot on about crushing the good will for nothing. For this 27 day AT, really only about a third of the company needs to be there advon. Everyone else will have literally no task to perform and will just be tasked out doing bs. I’m okay with getting hosed a little because I have it good on the full time side and the guard has worked out well for me. But for all the soldiers? It’s like I have nothing and I’m not the kind of leader who can try and spin something as positive when it’s clearly bs. I have some time before command (hopefully) and I’ll at least aspire towards pushing back and asking if it’s really THAT necessary, or if it’s just convenient...
Old 02-11-2020, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Itís spot on about crushing the good will for nothing. For this 27 day AT, really only about a third of the company needs to be there advon. Everyone else will have literally no task to perform and will just be tasked out doing bs. Iím okay with getting hosed a little because I have it good on the full time side and the guard has worked out well for me. But for all the soldiers? Itís like I have nothing and Iím not the kind of leader who can try and spin something as positive when itís clearly bs. I have some time before command (hopefully) and Iíll at least aspire towards pushing back and asking if itís really THAT necessary, or if itís just convenient...
So, I just manage to escape a major bullet, but the new commander got screwed.

28 day NTC is on the books for the next three years. While this is scary, the original OPORD was for only 30PAX. With 180 PAX on my books I was thinking WOW, this might actually work out. I can certainly find 30 folks that don't mind going and not crush anyone else that needs out of this nonsense.

HOWEVER, our ORGANIC Battalion will be running the TA and we will be reporting to them. Sooooooooooo................ they want everyone to go. It's clear as day to me they want all the organic bodies they can get so they can boss them around much more effective than some company that isn't part of their rating chain once the exercise is over.

It's clear as day our company will be tasked out for absolutely every single thing that pops up during the exercise and there will be no reason to reach down to other companies attached during the exercise.

I've learned.

Not

My

Problem

Sorry Irish Joe, I'm not going to be anyone's commander after the nonsense of the last two years running an RFX company of legitimate size and METL. I got nothing for my troubles and it's taking nearly four years to get to CPT when others get there in two merely by luck of their commission year and when boards come up.

I'm in a place now where there are 4 CPT vacancies, 3 MAJ vacancies, and 3 LTC vacancies all above me in staff positions in my Branch, and I don't have the time to make it to full COL. So I'm going to coast here for the duration of my career.

Hell, I got a certified letter in the mail from the Reserves the other day, and my heart sank. Turned out it was merely a welcome letter from my new unit. WHO THE HELL HAS TIME TO DO THAT.

My unit, that's who

Sign in is at 0730 formation at 0800.

HOLY HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new unit I have a 30 mile drive, and I literally will be getting an hour more of SLEEP than I will at my last assignment when I was sleeping in my OFFICE at Battle Assembly the night before.
Old 02-14-2020, 9:19 AM

Snoopy,

Congrats on the new unit. And also on the escape!

Call when you get a chance,

Sapper

Quote:
Old 02-14-2020, 9:20 AM

This may be the wrong thread/ subforum, but here goes...

Are national guard afforded any special considerations when it comes to gun laws? Like how LEO are exempt from the roster?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
This may be the wrong thread/ subforum, but here goes...

Are national guard afforded any special considerations when it comes to gun laws? Like how LEO are exempt from the roster?
NOPE.........

Nor can you own a rifle similar to the one the state will arm you with, nor can you practice the course of fire the state will require to you qualify.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:03 AM

Well one alibi on that: you don’t have to have a firearms safety card (or whatever it’s called these days) with a military id, but that’s it.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
NOPE.........

Nor can you own a rifle similar to the one the state will arm you with, nor can you practice the course of fire the state will require to you qualify.
Well that sucks. Any ideas of how the rifle is configured (optics/sights, barrel length, stock), or the course of fire which I'll have to qualify against? You know... to know what I'm missing out on as a regular civilian?
Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Well that sucks. Any ideas of how the rifle is configured (optics/sights, barrel length, stock), or the course of fire which I'll have to qualify against? You know... to know what I'm missing out on as a regular civilian?
Who knows.....

Went to basic with an M4 with irons

My MI reserve unit had M16s

Qualified pistol with M9

Deployed with M4 with ACOG and Glock 19

Now, finding a range where you can load 20 rounds in an AR15 and fire out as far as 300m from the kneeling and prone. Thatís another challenge.
Old 02-15-2020, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Who knows.....

Went to basic with an M4 with irons

My MI reserve unit had M16s

Qualified pistol with M9

Deployed with M4 with ACOG and Glock 19

Now, finding a range where you can load 20 rounds in an AR15 and fire out as far as 300m from the kneeling and prone. That’s another challenge.
At what distance does the army zero their rifles?

UPDATE: Google says 25/300m. I didn't find anything about what range vs standing/ kneeling/ prone though

Last edited by Mustard; 02-15-2020 at 6:41 PM..
Old 02-15-2020, 7:09 PM

Zero at 25. Pop up qual runs from 25-300. No standing. Kneeling I believe doesn’t go past 150m.
Old 02-15-2020, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Zero at 25. Pop up qual runs from 25-300. No standing. Kneeling I believe doesnít go past 150m.
Old 02-15-2020, 9:02 PM

If you enjoy shooting, don't go joining the military thinking you're gonna be getting a lot of it. Least of all the USAR and NG.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
If you enjoy shooting, don't go joining the military thinking you're gonna be getting a lot of it. Least of all the USAR and NG.
Yeah, no worries there. Not going for it to shoot more. I get plenty of shooting for my tastes already
Old 02-16-2020, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, no worries there. Not going for it to shoot more. I get plenty of shooting for my tastes already
To answer the question you posed:

---14.5" barrel with standard bird cage flash suppressor
---1:7 twist rate using 62gr green tip
---You can get an M2 front site or if you like the option, Troy makes a fold down A2 front sight. I have one on the front of mine
---Gas block is mid length, carbine
---MATECH AR15 USGI Rear back up iron sight

If you want to set it up as close as possible.

Course of fire is:

20 rounds prone unsupported, meaning no sand bags or help but you can use your elbows.
10 rounds kneeling
10 rounds crouching

You can do it two ways: pop ups or "Alt-C" targets. The most popular if you don't have the expensive pop up range is the Alt C

It's 10 targets on a paper that are scaled down versions of an E silhouette. They are scaled to the size you'd see at the range listed. Point of aim is point of impact. The results are as follows:
3 rounds in 300
3 rounds in 250
3 rounds in 200 (x2)
4 rounds in 150 (x2)
5 each in 50, 100, 100, 100

Any extra hits in each target are counted as misses. For example, if you hit the 300m target 4 times, the 4th hit is a miss.

Here's a vid of the whole idea:
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/57381...-qualification

Sapper

Quote:

Last edited by Supersapper; 02-16-2020 at 8:23 PM..
Old 02-16-2020, 9:50 PM
Veteran Member

Resting the magazine on the ground during prone unsupported is authorized and in my book, encouraged, reason being is that it is more stable that using just your elbows, it's legal per the regs, and you can then shoot the prone supported exactly the same way in which you have more consistency between the two courses of fire and you are not exerting any force onto the handguard (which is not free-floated) which in turn also increases accuracy. just put your support hand on the front of the mag well and apply pressure straight back into your shoulder (keeping your body straight behind the gun).

Squad Designated Marksman graduate here who also did a little bit of work with my original unit's sniper while in the scout platoon before NY turned us all into MPs.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:23 AM

Thanks guys. Not sure i want/need another excuse to put together another upper, but i figure iron sights are iron sights. I have 16" free float uppers in 1:7 and 1:8, with various muzzle devices. I run magpul buis,i figure that should be good enough to practice with?