Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Default Looking for a quality reloading kit to get started

I'm looking at buying a hand loading set once I build my shop behind my shop, I think the kit I want to get is one by RCBS, I'll be loading primarily 8mm Mauser aka 7.92 x 57 Mauser. This one seems to be pretty good.

This is the image on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9YKW60...=2O6VSTNIZBH1T

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Active Duty US Navy Since 2003.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffinwings View Post
Fortunately I do not clean my firearms with pee
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

I started with something very similar back in the late '70s. still use most of it, off and on. You will need to get something to trim brass to length, and of course dies, for the caliber(s) you want to reload. I'm sure there will be people that will come along and suggest you buy everything piece meal, but those (mostly) are people that have been reloading for awhile, and have an idea of what they want. That's a good press, powder measure and scale.

Get that and you'll be on your way once you add a trimmer and calipers.
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Wow, that's exactly what I bought, and yeah my first reloads were 8mm Mauser also.

As TX Jack said, it's cheaper to buy everything piecemeal, but for someone starting out, you likely won't know what random bit you'll need so the kit makes sense. Except for the scale (I went digital) I still use all the pieces in the kit. Is each piece the best option out there? Probably not, but most are pretty good & even the ones that are so-so are still perfectly workable. After you use them for a bit then you'll have a better idea of what you want to replace.

And loading for 8mm is a great idea. Many beginners plan to start loading 9mm or .223 because that's what they shoot the most, but that actually makes the least amount of sense. Commercial ammo is so cheap & plentiful that they'll save maybe a dime per round but spend a lot of time. It makes more sense to load for the less-used rounds. Non-corrosive brass cased 8mm is about 85c, whereas my handloads are about 45c.

Last edited by kcheung2; 10-11-2017 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 AM

RCBS is great stuff. I think it's over built for what you need and you end up paying for it.

For single stage or turret presses you get a ton of press from Lee and their starter kits.

I got a kit and really glad I did. That being said there is a lot in the kit I upgraded to something different or just don't use.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM

I got the Hornady Lock n' Load starter kit. I got that so I could just set my dies and swap them out with the collars. I also prefer a digital scale as it is much faster for me.

If you are reloading rifle rounds definitely get some trimmers (I use Worlds Finest). If you buy a case prep center, do not buy one with an integrated trimmer. They are too expensive and a real pain to use.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post

Except for the scale (I went digital)
Yeah, I went digital too, a couple of years ago, but I still check it against my RCSS 5-10 (Ohaus) I've got some test weights, but nothing traceable to the National Bureau of Standards.....
Front Sight DG
Old 10-11-2017, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm looking at buying a hand loading set once I build my shop behind my shop, I think the kit I want to get is one by RCBS ...
That RCBS set is what I got in 1982 and I am still using most of it. The RCBS Manual is the best of all reloading manuals. JMHO. Have fun its a great hobby.
Old 10-11-2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
I got the Hornady Lock n' Load starter kit. I got that so I could just set my dies and swap them out with the collars. I also prefer a digital scale as it is much faster for me.

If you are reloading rifle rounds definitely get some trimmers (I use Worlds Finest). If you buy a case prep center, do not buy one with an integrated trimmer. They are too expensive and a real pain to use.
The idea swapping out using the collars and not have to reset anything sounds really appealing to me.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-11-2017, 4:18 PM
Calguns Addict

That is a good kit.
That said I would toss the lube pad and buy the RCBS Spray Lube and a baking pan. Toss the brass in and spray, shake, spray again and start resizing.
A digital scale/dispenser is really nice but the balance beam is always good to have as back-up.
The inflow powder measure is good and with practice you can get very uniform throws. I would pick up the stand for it over the strap that comes with it.
I like the MTM trays better than the RCBS one and have their graphite 3 brush neck lube combo in a unit mounted on my bench. BUT if I spray some case lube in some of the necks I do not need it.
You will want a case cleaner tumbler. I use the standard ones(from Midway) with treated corn media(Lyman brand) Use dryer sheets and it lasts a long time.
In time you may want to get a case prep center and the Lyman one is very good.

RCBS dies and shell holders are good as are Hornady and Lyman. A step up would be Redding. Lee makes dies but the so called locking rings are pure garbage and they do not stand behind their product like the other companies.

I have been reloading since the 1960's and reload for about 35 different cartridges. I have 4 single stage presses and a Dillon 650. PM me if you have any questions as I have helped many people get into reloading.

I would also suggest getting the Lyman #49 or 50 reloading manual as it has good data and even better information on how to reload. Read it and it will answers 90%+ question you will have.
Old 10-12-2017, 8:50 AM

The RCBS is what I have had for a few years now. I think any of the "name" brands will be great. RCBS, Hornaday, Lee and those blue ones Dillon) all have good customer service if something breaks. One of the people with whom I worked has an old RCBS that he had bought second hand about 15 years prior. When something broke, I don't recall what it was, it was several years ago, he contacted RCBS and they supplied the part without charge.

The most important thing is to read the manual, get help early on, read the manuals, make notes, read the manual, talk to others and did I mention, read the manual.

Also, start your loads at the bottom and work up!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
The RCBS is what I have had for a few years now. I think any of the "name" brands will be great. RCBS, Hornaday, Lee and those blue ones Dillon) all have good customer service if something breaks. One of the people with whom I worked has an old RCBS that he had bought second hand about 15 years prior. When something broke, I don't recall what it was, it was several years ago, he contacted RCBS and they supplied the part without charge.

The most important thing is to read the manual, get help early on, read the manuals, make notes, read the manual, talk to others and did I mention, read the manual.

Also, start your loads at the bottom and work up!
Seems like the going advice is read the manual and ask questions. I've got the Lyman Manual on order so I can start reading up on loading.

So far thanks everyone for the advice, seems like the RCBS that I chose is a good starting point, just need a couple of other things.

By the way, should I get a digital or analog dial calipers to start out with? I know at the moment I don't want to afford expensive ones like Mitutoyo digital calipers for now.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seems like the going advice is read the manual and ask questions. I've got the Lyman Manual on order so I can start reading up on loading.

So far thanks everyone for the advice, seems like the RCBS that I chose is a good starting point, just need a couple of other things.

By the way, should I get a digital or analog dial calipers to start out with? I know at the moment I don't want to afford expensive ones like Mitutoyo digital calipers for now.
The Lyman manual has about the best beginners guide to reloading, first third of the book is the how to section, very in-depth and what I recommend to all new reloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 AM

I suggest a turret press. It's only $90, you can remove the turret rod so that it can be used as a single stage but still have the choice of going faster once you get comfortable. Digital scale is $20 and just as accurate and way faster. When developing loads you'll find yourself weighing every charge and it'll get old real fast on the manual scale.

Dry or wet tumbler, both get the job done the only difference is shiny brass for a premium cost in wet tumbling. By the way there's a free Lyman manual pdf on the internet.any cheap digital calipers is fine too >$20
Old 10-12-2017, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

It takes 30 seconds to change dies and batch processing brass with hand priming is the smart way to load. No need for a turret. I have tried a high quality one and found it to be of little use except to mount a bullet puller collet and a universal decapper(if you use one). Then again I can screw in my collet bullet puller quickly and rarely use the universal decapper.

The turret has more chance to get loose and mess up die setting.

When I want speed and larger volume I use my Dillon 650 with case feeder. I only use it for 9mm Luger and 45ACP

Just my take on it.
Old 10-12-2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
It takes 30 seconds to change dies and batch processing brass with hand priming is the smart way to load. No need for a turret. I have tried a high quality one and found it to be of little use except to mount a bullet puller collet and a universal decapper(if you use one). Then again I can screw in my collet bullet puller quickly and rarely use the universal decapper.

The turret has more chance to get loose and mess up die setting.

When I want speed and larger volume I use my Dillon 650 with case feeder. I only use it for 9mm Luger and 45ACP

Just my take on it.
Even faster than that if you use a Hornady Lock'n'Load conversion kit.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 4:48 PM
Calguns Addict

True and I have that on a Hornady press. But since it is a dedicated 50bmg press I do not use the Hornady lock system much.
Old 10-12-2017, 5:00 PM

I personally think the turret is a "gimmick". Really, how long does it take to unscrew a die?
Old 10-12-2017, 9:57 PM

That RCBS kit is exactly the way to start. I bought the same basic kit just shy of 30 years ago and still have and use nearly everything in it. Loaded some 7.62x39 on it earlier tonight in fact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 5:27 AM
Calguns Addict

If changing out dies is bothersome your not in the right frame of mind to be reloading. Most dies come with a lock ring so getting them back to the same spot is easy for most. You can use a Sharpie to mark the front of the die and make it even quicker if need be.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 10-13-2017, 7:27 AM

Quote:
The idea swapping out using the collars and not have to reset anything sounds really appealing to me.
They are nice, but using lock rings gives you mostly the same effect. Also, they come with their own set of problems in that the quick change 'collar' can loosen up a bit during loading (or so I have heard, it has only done it once for me).
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?

Last edited by jcourson; 10-13-2017 at 7:30 AM..
Old 10-13-2017, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness View Post
Digital scale is $20 and just as accurate and way faster.
No, they are not just as accurate. Even more so at $20. If that was true do you think guys would be spending $500 plus on digital scales? Turn on you scale and drop one kernel of powder at a time on there. See how many kernels it takes before you get a reading. Set your cell phone next to it, see if the reading changes.

I can set one kernel on my Lee balance beam and see it move.

Quote:
When developing loads you'll find yourself weighing every charge and it'll get old real fast on the manual scale.
Sure digitals are easier. But if your scale in throwing +/- .2 grains each charge, how do you develop a load in less .2 or .3 increments? I started using my balance beam just for development. Once I find the middle of my node, I can throw on the Chargemaster and be +/- .2 grains and still be in the middle of my node.

Sorry for the tangent, but lets not start a new reloader with bad information.
Old 10-13-2017, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You can run the Hornady lock collar system on the RCBS press. You take out the black nut (its a threaded sleeve) and install the Hornady LNL bushing system.

Last item on this page https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...rs-bushings#!/
Old 10-13-2017, 4:16 PM

Good starter kit, only thing I would say is you'll quickly want a digital scale and you will need a tool for trimming brass. I like the Sinclair which is almos the same as Wilson, very accurate. The Forster is also good and easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
So you are throwing out 95% of reality to select the 5% of reality where you are actually right?
We must be on calguns...
Old 10-14-2017, 6:34 AM

Concerning powder scales, many folks have suggested a digital scale, I've got one and love it. But, for reloading, there is nothing wrong with a balance beam scale. Set the scale for the weight you want, and then adjust the powder measure to make it balance. Easy-Peasy! You don't need to know that a test throw was 3.8 grains light, you just need to know it was light, open the measure a turn or two, and try again, repeat until the scale balances.

Now, if you want to weigh 20 throws, for some sort of statistical analyses, yeah, you can't beat a digital! Or, if you want the weigh and sort your brass, or bullets, sure.

I've got both, and use both.
Front Sight DG
Old 10-14-2017, 6:50 AM

The kit you showed is the same one I bought- part 9354. That's a good price, but you should check the RCBS website as they frequently have a rebate promotion going on, but I think you need to spend $300 to get back $50 or $75. You're going to need dies anyways, so it's easy to get to $300.

Last year after Thanksgiving, Turners had an in-store coupon that you could use in addition to the rebate. My cost for the Rock chucker Supreme kit and a set of 30-06 dies was $218 after tax and rebate.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
No, they are not just as accurate. Even more so at $20. If that was true do you think guys would be spending $500 plus on digital scales? Turn on you scale and drop one kernel of powder at a time on there. See how many kernels it takes before you get a reading. Set your cell phone next to it, see if the reading changes.

I can set one kernel on my Lee balance beam and see it move.

Sure digitals are easier. But if your scale in throwing +/- .2 grains each charge, how do you develop a load in less .2 or .3 increments? I started using my balance beam just for development. Once I find the middle of my node, I can throw on the Chargemaster and be +/- .2 grains and still be in the middle of my node.

Sorry for the tangent, but lets not start a new reloader with bad information.
Then you have a ****ty digi scale or you don't know how to use it. Absolutely no need for a $500 scale or manual scale unless you're shooting in tournament where you're convinced every flake of a difference will give you an edge.

If I add one tenth of a grain on my $20 scale sometimes i do have to brush my finger over the scale to respond to those flakes. Other than that I stand by my opinion that these cheap scales are faster and just as accurate as a manual scale.
Old 10-14-2017, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyBusiness View Post
Then you have a ****ty digi scale or you don't know how to use it. Absolutely no need for a $500 scale or manual scale unless you're shooting in tournament where you're convinced every flake of a difference will give you an edge.

If I add one tenth of a grain on my $20 scale sometimes i do have to brush my finger over the scale to respond to those flakes. Other than that I stand by my opinion that these cheap scales are faster and just as accurate as a manual scale.
Donít confuse resolution with accuracy.
Front Sight DG
Old 10-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

RCBS is the BEST. Started with a Lee Loader and a hammer in 1968. Bought a RCBS Jr. Then got a Rock Chucker and converted it to a progressive. Then another RC. Sold the Jr & Progressive. Single stage is enough since I don't shoot as much anymore. I can set-up and load 100+ in a couple hours.
You'll want to add a $10 caliper from Harbor Freight. The Lee powder scoop set is handy if you're loading some plinkers. A book is handy but you can get all the load info off the powder companies web sites.