Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Southern Cal Golden Bears Highpower Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2015, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Default Welcome. Come shoot with us at Angeles twice a month!

Welcome to the sub-forum of the Southern California Golden Bears. We are a Highpower Rifle Club specializing in the four-stage, three-distance, three-position service and match rifle competition.

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to our Highpower Rifle Matches and instructional clinics which will introduce you to the world of Highpower shooting.

Monthly Matches:
Third Sunday of Every Month
At Fort Angeles - Angeles Shooting Range

Special Practice Days:
Fourth Sundays of every month.

If interested in any of these practices or matches please contact our President (president@goldenbears.org) or Secretary (secretary@goldenbears.org). Cost is $12 for members and $17 for non-members.

Specifically we do the following:
We shoot what is called by the NRA or CMP "Service Rifles" or "Match Rifles".
Service rifles are AR15 (20" iron sights, no external modifications aside from a heavy barrel), M1 Garands (no external modifications, heavy barrels and adjustable gas system is ok), and M14s (no external modifications, heavy barrels and adjustable gas system is ok).
Match rifles are center fire rifles with metallic sights and a magazine capable of holding not less than 5 rounds.

A mosin for example would be classified as a Match Rifle, you would need to bring stripper clips and non magnetic ammo
A 1903A3 for example would be classified as a Match Rifle, even though it was once a service rifle.
An AR with an adjustable buttstock would be considered a Match Rifle
An M1 Carbine would be considered a Match Rifle
All are kosher for competition

We shoot these rifles in four separate stages - Adding up to either 50 rounds total or 80 rounds total. Your choice.
Offhand (10 or 20 rounds with 2 sighters, in 12 or 22 minutes) - Single loaded, shot without using a sling.
Sitting Rapid (10 or 20 rounds with 2 sighters, in 10 round strings of fire) - Shot in a time limit of 60 seconds with a magazine change. Service rifles run a magazine or clip of 2 then a magazine or clip of 8. Match rifles may run a magazine of 5 and a magazine of 5. Shot with a sling.
Prone Rapid (10 or 20 rounds with 2 sighters, in 10 round strings of fire) - Shot in a time limit of 70 seconds (80 for bolt guns) with a magazine change. Service rifles run a magazine or clip of 2 then a magazine or clip of 8. Match rifles may run a magazine of 5 and a magazine of 5. Shot with a sling.
Prone Slow Fire (20 rounds with 2 sighters, in 22 minutes) - Single loaded, shot with a sling.

The match starts around 8am, be there between 7:30 and 8. We are done around 10:30 or 11am and we practice on the range until noon. It's a lot of shooting and coaching for very little money.

Ideal equipment: If you don't have some or any of the below we can provide.
Rifle - Damn near any rifle with a magazine and iron sights. Internal magazine works if it can be stripper fed.
Sling - Any GI type Web or Leather sling
Glove - for support hand
Padded Shooting Coat - for support
Shooting Mat - for prone
Spotting scope and stand - for checking shots
Eye and Ear Protection

Last edited by milotrain; 05-15-2015 at 11:04 PM..
Old 03-25-2015, 9:17 PM

Just saw this. Do you have more details on what the club does? Which specific types of rifles you allow? More info would be great.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North86 View Post
Just saw this. Do you have more details on what the club does? Which specific types of rifles you allow? More info would be great.

Thanks!

We are a CMP-affiliated club. We practice and constantly refine our marksmanship skills.

The club officially meets once a month and we shoot the National Match course (50 rounds for record) or the 80-round Regional across the course (XTC). Since Ft. Angeles at ASR is a 100 yard facility, we use reduced targets that simulate the engagements at 200 yards, 300 yards, and 600 yards. We practice position-shooting (standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone) while each position has a corresponding reduced-distance target.

If you are free on Sunday, 04/12/2015, we have a CMP-Sactioned M1 Garand match.

Please sign-up and show up at 8am.
Old 03-31-2015, 2:05 PM

I just saw this thread. I am real intrested in this. Me and my two other friends just started shooting 300 yards on a 10" plate and have really fallen in love with the long distance thing. We are shooting Mosins that we have sporterized and we are using steel core. Can we show up with these and shoot with you guys? April my be a no go for us but maybe May.

"From the deadly sword deliver me; rescue me from the hands of foreigners whose mouths are full of lies, whose right hands are deceitful." - Psalms 144:11

"I haven't seen my morals in a LONG time! When I threw out stupid morals I felt that it allowed me to really love people and look past perceived flaws and downfalls" - FremontJames
Old 03-31-2015, 2:13 PM

Is this club kind to newbies in the long range aspects of shooting? Is there patient people in the club that will not look down on people that arent too knowledgable but willing to learn?
Old 03-31-2015, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercityshooter View Post
I just saw this thread. I am real intrested in this. Me and my two other friends just started shooting 300 yards on a 10" plate and have really fallen in love with the long distance thing. We are shooting Mosins that we have sporterized and we are using steel core. Can we show up with these and shoot with you guys? April my be a no go for us but maybe May.

Angeles or ASR has a long-standing rule that if your ammo attracts a magnet, you can't shoot that ammo while at ASR.

We have a CMP-Sactioned Garand match on 04/12.

Garand Match details - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1053893
Old 03-31-2015, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
Is this club kind to newbies in the long range aspects of shooting? Is there patient people in the club that will not look down on people that arent too knowledgable but willing to learn?

If you are willing to learn, we can teach you.

Sign-up for a Garand match - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1053893
Old 03-31-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The members are great, extremely helpful and friendly - I'm very new to rifle shooting (only been shooting rifles for a few months) and they've always made me feel welcome and are very helpful to newbies. I always have a lot of fun and learn a lot at the monthly matches.
Old 04-01-2015, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGoldenBearsHPRClub View Post
We are a CMP-affiliated club. We practice and constantly refine our marksmanship skills.

The club officially meets once a month and we shoot the National Match course (50 rounds for record) or the 80-round Regional across the course (XTC). Since Ft. Angeles at ASR is a 100 yard facility, we use reduced targets that simulate the engagements at 200 yards, 300 yards, and 600 yards. We practice position-shooting (standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone) while each position has a corresponding reduced-distance target.

If you are free on Sunday, 04/12/2015, we have a CMP-Sactioned M1 Garand match.

Please sign-up and show up at 8am.
Thanks for the response. I don't have a Garand. Am I able to shoot a .308 bolt action rifle instead? Are other rifles allowed? Do I have to use iron sights?
Old 04-01-2015, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North86 View Post
Thanks for the response. I don't have a Garand. Am I able to shoot a .308 bolt action rifle instead? Are other rifles allowed? Do I have to use iron sights?

If you don't have an M1 Garand, we have loaner rifles.

Refer to the M1 Garand Match details - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1053893

Kindly read post #1 as it covers the purpose of the match as well as the eligible rifles.

Since civilian marksmanship, which started in 1903, revolves around the use of the US Service Rifle, you have to use metallic or iron sights.

History of the DCM/CMP - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilia...anship_Program
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM

And, just so you know, the clinic on 4/12 is focused on the Garand, but most people shoot AR15s at the monthly matches. The typical setup is a 20" barrel (most of us have heavy stainless barrels), an A2 buttstock, and an A2 receiver or A4 flat top with carry handle with integrated iron sights. Your rifle needs to be able to mount a sling with at least a front sling swivel. It helps if you have a spotting scope and stand so you can see your shots on paper, but you don't really need any other equipment to get started.
Old 04-11-2015, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Can a out of town newbie just passing through attend?
Old 04-12-2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Welcome to the sub-forum of the Southern California Golden Bears. We are a Highpower Rifle Club specializing in the four-stage, three-distance, three-position service and match rifle competition.

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to our Highpower Rifle Matches and instructional clinics which will introduce you to the world of Highpower shooting.

Monthly Matches:
Third Sunday of Every Month

Special Practice Days:
Fourth Sundays of every month.

If interested in any of these practices or matches please contact our President (president@goldenbears.org) or Secretary (secretary@goldenbears.org).
What are the cost, fees, etc. associated with joining/entering matches?
Old 04-12-2015, 6:56 PM

Talking trigger time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
The club meets once a month, every 3rd Sunday, at a ASR's private 100 yard range, Ft. Angeles, ("Ft. A")

Signups are 730am while live fire starts approx 8:15am.

Match done at 10:30am. We have the facility until 1pm so bring extra ammo for more trigger time

For reference, kindly google map the location - http://www.angelesranges.com/

Any q's, email the Secretary.
Old 04-12-2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Next match is 04/19/2015.

If you want to observe/ask questions, please be there at 8:30am

If so inclined, email the Secretary.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't know the fees offhand, I think they are $15, maybe $20 for non members. Membership is very cheap ($20 or so) per year. Your match fee covers your range fee for ASR, so it is actually cheaper to be a member, shoot the match then shoot on the public line than it is to go shoot on the public line on a weekend. You also get a nice controlled private range for the first half of the day, so it is really the best deal out there.

Many of us have backup AR rifles, if you contact Secretary or me and bring your legal AR lower someone can loan you an upper that is kosher for the match.

Updated sticky:
Cost is $12 for members and $17 for non-members.

Last edited by milotrain; 05-15-2015 at 11:05 PM..
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower790 View Post
Of course they can, but if you show up we are going to make you coach after you beat all of us during the match.
Old 05-12-2015, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotrain View Post
Of course they can, but if you show up we are going to make you coach after you beat all of us during the match.
Looking forward to June vacation and heading south.
Old 05-13-2015, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

PM me when you are coming down in June. I've got some time off and I'll bet we could hammer a few days at BRRC if you are around.
Old 05-28-2015, 6:09 PM

Can you shoot an AR with a monster man grip (featureless build)?

Thx!
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackston, W. Virginia Board of Education v. Burnette, 1943

Old 05-31-2015, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Absolutely. Technically according to NRA rules it puts you in the March rifle class but we don't separate the classes at all. I know one guy who built his match rifle off an AR lower and went featureless so he could run magazines faster.

You'll need two magazines at minimum they should be 20 round straight USGI mags but any 10, 20, 10/20, 30 will work. 30s are hard in prone.