Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-17-2018, 9:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default S&W 646 Performance Center

I'm getting a Smith 646 Performance Center version with carrying case and whatever else these guns come with for a grand total of $795.00. Gun is LNIB. Doing a bit of reading & see about 600 "non-PC" 646s were made and about 300 PC versions in 2003. The PC version had a reputation for sticky chambers and moon clips had to be used, the issues caused by clips and differing ammo rim thickness made the gun less than easy to deal with and not exactly a great seller. Of course today's lousy seller is tomorrow's rare gun, I have a few misfits myself.

I'm not especially a fan of 4" adjustable sighted revolvers, but at least this one doesn't have the lock, no MIM and does have frame mounted FP.

I figure any "pre-lock" PC Smith in CA is worth about $800.00. Have I stumbled across a deal or is this "just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I think these go for good money I think I know where you bought it was just too far for me to get there. Did you check GunBroker completed selling prices if any are even sold lately?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

I hate .40, and I know I'd hate a .40 revolver that requires moon clips.
Old 05-18-2018, 4:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I'm getting a Smith 646 Performance Center version with carrying case and whatever else these guns come with for a grand total of $795.00. Gun is LNIB. Doing a bit of reading & see about 600 "non-PC" 646s were made and about 300 PC versions in 2003. The PC version had a reputation for sticky chambers and moon clips had to be used, the issues caused by clips and differing ammo rim thickness made the gun less than easy to deal with and not exactly a great seller. Of course today's lousy seller is tomorrow's rare gun, I have a few misfits myself.

I'm not especially a fan of 4" adjustable sighted revolvers, but at least this one doesn't have the lock, no MIM and does have frame mounted FP.

I figure any "pre-lock" PC Smith in CA is worth about $800.00. Have I stumbled across a deal or is this "just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable?
Might need to polish the chambers. Sometimes one needs to choose a certain brand of brass, and use that, with moon-clipped guns. No biggie. Most of the ICORE guys I know (used to know) had a favorite that worked every time in their chosen moon clip gun(s). Some moon clips work/are better than others.

IMHO you got a deal.

Regarding he comment above about moon clip guns: Not sure why anyone would not like a moon clip reolver. Ejection is much more reliable, as is loading, if one practices a little. Might want a watch a video or two of some guy named Jerry........ some people think he might be from another planet though. Pretty much need to use moon clips on rimless cartiridges. I've had a few 625's that would function/fire without the moon clips, but of course I had to eject the brass witha pencil or something similar. Yes, there's a rare and expensive S&W 547 9mm and the Korth that don't require moon clips. These are of course slower to load and eject than the moon clip guns.
One of my ICORE friends used to shoot .40 in a 610 in limited at the local USPSA matches years ago. He was good enough to be in the top 5 often in limited, as long at the stages were truly 6 shot neutral.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

Last edited by eaglemike; 05-18-2018 at 4:12 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 05-18-2018, 3:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Might need to polish the chambers. Sometimes one needs to choose a certain brand of brass, and use that, with moon-clipped guns. No biggie. Most of the ICORE guys I know (used to know) had a favorite that worked every time in their chosen moon clip gun(s). Some moon clips work/are better than others.

IMHO you got a deal.

Regarding he comment above about moon clip guns: Not sure why anyone would not like a moon clip reolver. Ejection is much more reliable, as is loading, if one practices a little. Might want a watch a video or two of some guy named Jerry........ some people think he might be from another planet though. Pretty much need to use moon clips on rimless cartiridges. I've had a few 625's that would function/fire without the moon clips, but of course I had to eject the brass witha pencil or something similar. Yes, there's a rare and expensive S&W 547 9mm and the Korth that don't require moon clips. These are of course slower to load and eject than the moon clip guns.
One of my ICORE friends used to shoot .40 in a 610 in limited at the local USPSA matches years ago. He was good enough to be in the top 5 often in limited, as long at the stages were truly 6 shot neutral.
I'll fiddle around with what ammo works best. I bought it mainly to shoot cheap 40 from and it's different, one of the few calibers I don't reload for because it's so inexpensive. I have an older 610 no dash and 40s work fine from it, but a 6" lugged N frame is alot of gun wrapped around a little cartridge and It's the only 10mm where I don't have to chase my brass. Too bad the 646 doesn't take 10mm, that would be fun.
Old 05-18-2018, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post
I'll fiddle around with what ammo works best. I bought it mainly to shoot cheap 40 from and it's different, one of the few calibers I don't reload for because it's so inexpensive. I have an older 610 no dash and 40s work fine from it, but a 6" lugged N frame is alot of gun wrapped around a little cartridge and It's the only 10mm where I don't have to chase my brass. Too bad the 646 doesn't take 10mm, that would be fun.
I had one of the 3 7/8" 610's years ago. Big mistake to let it go...... Still a handfull, but a lot handier than the 6" full size guns.

Hope you have a LOT of fun with that one.

Downloaded .40 w/coated lead would be a lot of fun to shoot in that gun. .40 is so easy to load - straight wall case takes less pressure on the handle than 9mm by a fair bit. A 155 semi-wadcutter over a small charge of fast and clean powder is pleasant.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?