Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-17-2010, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking WOW... Verizon and AT&T in major price war.. prices dropping nearly $30!

In a win for us all really, if you use Verizon or (ick) AT&T, Verizon struck first with an announced major price drop starting this Monday of $30. Apparently, the news was it caught AT&T off guard - and the rest of us I would say as I never saw this or a rumor on this coming!

woot woot

Quote:
Calls will become cheaper after America’s two largest wireless carriers cut their prices. Besides, the move will trigger a stiff competition in the cell phone industry.

Starting Monday users across the country will have to fork out just $70 for an unlimited monthly calling plan. Earlier, it was $100. So they have made cut of $30, which is being appreciated by most consumers. They are buoyant with the change and callers can save some money on their calls.

Others to benefit from the plan include the company’s high-end smart phones like Motorola's Droid. They can avail this facility a $30 per month unlimited data plan. From now onwards for $100 users can have the unlimited data and voice plan. Previously it was $130.

The changes alarmed AT&T Inc. that is competitor of Verizon Wireless. Its officials called a hurried meeting to discuss the impact on the industry. After deliberating for a day they also decided to unroll their price plan. Their main efforts are that they don’t lose in the war of price.
I just tried to login to my VZW account to look at prices, and I saw what I think reflected this already in the system online, but it was so slow and locked up, I cannot confirm so I just gave up. tried again, now can't even get in.
Old 01-17-2010, 3:45 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet. I was just thinking about how I spend around $1,500(not including the phone) a year to have a stupid phone.

Vote for pro-gun candidates, or lose your rights, and the rights of future generations. That's it. The end.

"No one said life would be easy".
Old 01-17-2010, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

yeah, when have you ever seen VZW drop a price.. or give you back unused minutes (that will be the day) given they now are trying to get past customers a $350 ETF

so a price drop, for those of us not worrying about ETF's... this is great!
Old 01-17-2010, 4:32 PM

Link?
Old 01-17-2010, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

try Google.. here is just 1 of many
Old 01-17-2010, 5:03 PM

Ah thanks :-)
Old 01-17-2010, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

ahhh no they are not fighting each other...they are fighting the upstarts with their no minutes no limits strategy.
Old 01-17-2010, 5:06 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That explains it.

I logged in to see about upgrading my Razr to a "ruggedized" model and the system was offline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-17-2010, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
ahhh no they are not fighting each other...they are fighting the upstarts with their no minutes no limits strategy.
no.... their fighting each other.. the up starts, they are a drop in the bucket pimple on their booties.. it is VZW versus AT&T and with the new phones - Nexus - and possible iPhone for VZW, this is the fight to watch.
Old 01-17-2010, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

the rumor was around for awhile but just this past week was it put into effect. now if only sprint would follow suit. I have a SERO account and its a great deal. two phones for $60 a month, but now that my contract is almost over I'm going to do a corporate discount account instead of my sprint employee account.
Old 01-17-2010, 5:56 PM

I just priced out two phones on a shared minutes plan with text and internet. It works out to about $120.00 more a month than a similar T-Mobile plan with 5 phones on the unlimited plan.

Eric
Old 01-17-2010, 6:07 PM
Calguns Addict

1. not sure why your comparing between T-mobile, they do not have a dog in this fight

2. pricing may not go online until Monday as that is the official roll out of the new prices
Old 01-17-2010, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Ok so whats the best plan. Im paying 100$ a month right now for basic phone for me and my wife family plan ATT
I called and they said I dont have to sign another two years unless I want free phones. My wife wants to text. So basically Im looking for a phone and text pic stuff maybe data plan for two phones for 100$ or less.
Any of you guys a ATT or verizone/cell phone guy?
Old 01-17-2010, 6:26 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
2. pricing may not go online until Monday as that is the official roll out of the new prices
Ya, I just checked and the voice plans are still the same as what I'm paying now.

$70, $100, $120, etc....

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-17-2010, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
1. not sure why your comparing between T-mobile, they do not have a dog in this fight
If you're looking for an inexpensive carrier and your contract is up, they do...

Eric
Old 01-17-2010, 8:10 PM

whooooooot! im happy

never had a problem with att so this is like Christmas to me haha

putting an extra 40 bucks back in my pocket every month! YES!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
Ok so whats the best plan. Im paying 100$ a month right now for basic phone for me and my wife family plan ATT
I called and they said I dont have to sign another two years unless I want free phones. My wife wants to text. So basically Im looking for a phone and text pic stuff maybe data plan for two phones for 100$ or less.
Any of you guys a ATT or verizone/cell phone guy?
I say we wait and see in the morning what actually comes online... will know more then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Mayer View Post
If you're looking for an inexpensive carrier and your contract is up, they do...

Eric
sure.. but, it is a Verizon and AT&T pricing thread
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

all at&t needs to win the war. is to build a bunch of new cell towers.
fill in the areas around the now built towers...aka expand the service with the 3G net work.

but that is way to easy. and smart.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The new pricing is online, still not that good of a deal. You can do much better if you switch to T-Mobile, they're cheaper and will unlock your phone for free if you tell them you're going overseas or have had service for 3 months. Their phones are also GSM which means if you travel they're pretty much guaranteed to work where you go.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Señor Member

Just looked at it... no change for my basic family plan with 2 phones... still $70 for 700 minutes.
Don't know what they're talking about with $100 for unlimited... all I see is $100 for 1400 minutes and unlimited to 10 friends.

But 700 works fine since 90% of my use is between other VZW users.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioburning View Post
Sweet. I was just thinking about how I spend around $1,500(not including the phone) a year to have a stupid phone.
so now you're only paying $1200 w/o the phone per year. LOL

i think it's a good tactic. get engaged in a price war. get the market share. the battle is long term. drive the competitor to a point they cannot afford price wars anymore and become a niche market. usually only works if you have the capital to outlast it.
Old 01-18-2010, 7:53 AM

I pay 86 bucks a month for my wife and myself and I don't have or need one of those fancy schmancy computer phones. I have internet at my house, at work, and every other conceivable place i'd need one. As of yet, I have never needed to surf the web from the throne, and if i ever want to, my laptop can go with me.
Old 01-18-2010, 8:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a smokin plan with sprint at 2 phones with GPS, unlimited texting, data, "sprint tv and radio" email, photo account, and 1400 anytime minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends. $105 per month for both my wife and I. She has a PDA phone and currently I have a year and a half old instinct from when it first came out.
Old 01-18-2010, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
so now you're only paying $1200 w/o the phone per year. LOL

i think it's a good tactic. get engaged in a price war. get the market share. the battle is long term. drive the competitor to a point they cannot afford price wars anymore and become a niche market. usually only works if you have the capital to outlast it.
Naw, the prices are inflated big time. This is why companies like Metro PCS and Surewest can afford to offer unlimited nationwide service for around $50/month.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 01-18-2010, 3:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

i know prices are inflated. and people seem desperate to pay it. in a price war, the only true beneficiary is the customer. so good for many they get going with the price war!
Old 01-18-2010, 5:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I was at my local Verizon store. Apparently, all but the very basic phones now require an Internet plan. I didn't ask, but my guess is that if you're an existing customer and try to change to the new plan, you'll be required to now have Internet if you don't already have it. This of course, will require an extra fee.

They'll get their money from you one way or the other.

Old 01-23-2010, 8:02 AM
I need a LIFE!!

T Mobile started this with their unlimited plans...
Old 01-23-2010, 8:19 AM

I just need a simple phone for voice/text. None of the other stuff, that's why I paid $300ish for a netbook laptop that has everything with no recurring monthly fees
Old 01-23-2010, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I have a smokin plan with sprint at 2 phones with GPS, unlimited texting, data, "sprint tv and radio" email, photo account, and 1400 anytime minutes. Unlimited nights and weekends. $105 per month for both my wife and I. She has a PDA phone and currently I have a year and a half old instinct from when it first came out.
did you haggle for this deal? i'm paying about the same w/o internet....The only reason why I keep sprint is for the coverage in the desert when I am out hunting/shooting.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM

I wonder if Verizon will allow existing members to change to the lesser plan? I currently pay $80 for 1400 minutes (with corp discount). With data plans for 2 bb's and insurance on both we pay $150/month. I figure if I take advantage of the $69 unlimited minutes plus my corp discount I could add another phone for my 10 year old and still end up at the same price.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I bet that a phone with unlimited everything probably has a total cost of about 15$ a month. rest is most likely profit.
Old 01-23-2010, 2:30 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Attack View Post
I wonder if Verizon will allow existing members to change to the lesser plan? I currently pay $80 for 1400 minutes (with corp discount). With data plans for 2 bb's and insurance on both we pay $150/month. I figure if I take advantage of the $69 unlimited minutes plus my corp discount I could add another phone for my 10 year old and still end up at the same price.
Maybe one of the data plans.
I just checked the voice-only plans like I have with my Razr, and there's no savings. 700 minutes on the 2-phone family plan is still $80.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2010, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

a great new FAQ from Cnet on how it actually boils down
Old 02-01-2010, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
You can do much better if you switch to T-Mobile, they're cheaper and will unlock your phone for free if you tell them you're going overseas or have had service for 3 months.
Prior service for a sim unlock is 40 days for a regular account, 60 for prepaid

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran