Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-26-2005, 8:25 PM

thanks for the offer man, but i just sent my mag catch to Rich at foulton armory, he said he would modify it for me.
Old 05-10-2005, 4:55 PM

It looks like i would have to cut off the pistol stub, as it doesnt look like i can unscrew it. In that case i will want to do the magazine modification thing. I have little experiance doing this sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guide explaining step by step on how to drill and tap the magazine. I cant beleive i cant just take the stock off, its not like i would be able to use the stud as a pistol grip.
Old 05-25-2005, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by StrangeBrew:
I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it? i bought the right drill bits and have been working at it for like 30 min. How long should it take to drill through the mag catch?
You can also simply buy the mag release modified already. Rich at CGW sells them for $30 or so, which includes the tool and set screw.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Would a fn fal be legal if the pistol grip was simply removed from a standard lower reciever?
Old 05-25-2005, 7:04 PM

Are you sure that the drill is spinning in the correct direction? Most drills have a forward and reverse setting. Also a little bit of cutting oil helps keep the bit from burning up. You might want to try Adonis, here on the board. I got mine from him, and it was cheaper than 30 bucks. I haven't heard from him for awhile, but you could sen him an email.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 05-24-2005, 7:29 PM

I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it? i bought the right drill bits and have been working at it for like 30 min. How long should it take to drill through the mag catch?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cg:
Make sure that you remove the stub! (Robinson Arms had to do that to make their M-96 legal.)
I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 PM

Quote:
if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way. Thanks
Well, yes you can shoot it that way. I did this for awhile and finally got tired of it and put the mag catch on and got a 10 round magazine. For me, the pistol grip is so much more enjoyable to shoot with, than without it. I have 30 20 round mags sitting in the safe do nothing, but that's ok. If I ever go shooting Nevada I can always use them there. It's not that big a deal to change the mag catch back to the original again. I'm also getting pretty good at loading with stripper clips.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 AM

excuse my ignorance, its not FN, it is however a South African parts kit built on an Imbel receiver. I ask this question because the smith that built my fal forgot to modify the magazine. Anyways i am aware that i could do this myself, but if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way. Thanks
Old 05-25-2005, 11:24 AM

i also tried to make a pilot hole, but I failed. If any of you guys have an extra modified catch laying around, i would buy it off ya.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
Look at the set of DOJ letters on their website; aside from being informative, it also mentions they have to remove the stub. Also, the ones I've seen in stores have no stubs.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyways i am aware that i could do this myself, but if i could make my fal legal by simply removing the pistol stock, i would rather do it that way.
Make sure that you remove the stub! (Robinson Arms had to do that to make their M-96 legal.)
Old 05-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by xsquid:
You can also simply buy the mag release modified already. Rich at CGW sells them for $30 or so, which includes the tool and set screw.
I just called CGW and talked to Rich, he said he does not sell them
Old 05-24-2005, 8:20 PM

I dont have much experiance with power tools actually, could you inform me on how ot make a pilot hole?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Would a fn fal be legal if the pistol grip was simply removed from a standard lower reciever?
Yes, as long as any other "evil" feature is removed as well (i.e. flash suppressor etc.). Would you want to shoot it that way? Some people can do it, personally, I have a problem with holding it without a grip.
Old 05-10-2005, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It looks like i would have to cut off the pistol stub, as it doesnt look like i can unscrew it. In that case i will want to do the magazine modification thing. I have little experiance doing this sort of thing, so i was wondering if anyone knows if there is a guide explaining step by step on how to drill and tap the magazine. I cant beleive i cant just take the stock off, its not like i would be able to use the stud as a pistol grip.
Go to this site: Fal Cal mag mod
Old 05-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The smith will have to figure out a way to keep the trigger guard in place. Normally it's held down (up?) by the pistol grip.
Old 05-26-2005, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wasn't aware that Rob Arms was removing the stub? See the pic of their "Kali modification" below from their website:
Look at the set of DOJ letters on their website; aside from being informative, it also mentions they have to remove the stub. Also, the ones I've seen in stores have no stubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.......the one I got a couple of months ago has the stub...........
Old 05-10-2005, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I ask this question because the smith that built my fal forgot to modify the magazine. Thanks
Use a stock magazine, but drill a hole through the mag catch using the spring recess as your center point. Thread the hole for setscrew (I think 8-32). Adjust the setscrew to keep the mag catch from being pushed. You're done, about 10 minutes.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-26-2005, 5:55 PM

StrangeBrew - I've got an extra drilled and tapped catch that I was saving for a future build, but I won't be getting around to that for a while. If you still need one, let me know.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, if 1) all "evil" features such as flash suppressor were removed as well
2) the receiver is not on DOJ list (FN is) such as Imbel, DSA etc.
Question is, could you shoot it that way? I know some people can, personally it is too much of pain for me.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 PM

its so damn ackward holding a rifle without a grip like that, i would rather have a fixed 5!! round mag than shoot it like that
Old 05-25-2005, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I dont have much experiance with power tools actually, could you inform me on how ot make a pilot hole?
Pilot hole is drilled with a drill bit 2 or 3 sizes smaller then the intended bit, that way the larger bit will have something to bite into and will not take as long. If you don't have a decent drill, use a rechargeable they run slower.
Old 05-10-2005, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cg:
oh, so i need to get rid of that thing too? does it need to be cut off or can it be removed by unscrewing it?
Old 05-24-2005, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I bought all the materials to modify the mag release, but i cant seem to drill through it. Is there any trick to it?
Use a slow drill, get a pilot hole going and then use the proper size drill bit. It sounds like you may have burned your bit or it isn't biting (that's why a pilot hole helps).
Old 05-10-2005, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cg:
oh, so i need to get rid of that thing too? does it need to be cut off or can it be removed by unscrewing it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some unscrew, others you have to cut off. To bring the gun back to free state specs, just drill out the old stub & either thread the hole or weld a new pg stud in place.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 05-10-2005, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry, misspelled the URL - try again:Fal Cal Mag Mod
Old 05-26-2005, 8:38 PM

Hey Strange,

If you have'nt ship your mag catch yet, send it to me and i'll do it for free this time.

Adonis
Old 05-26-2005, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ummm.......the one I got a couple of months ago has the stub...........
I stand corrected then. Maybe DOJ changed their mind like they did with the Vulcan blocked off 20 round mags.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Location: DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornistan)

Thread resurrection? Search didn't work for me... Are FALs legal in CA? If the magazine is not detachable, can I have evil features?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatdammit View Post
Thread resurrection? Search didn't work for me... Are FALs legal in CA? If the magazine is not detachable, can I have evil features?
http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-Californi...s/products/39/

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=124

-- Michael