Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-15-2017, 6:13 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Default Winchester 1894 30 WCF

I love milsurps and lever guns. And what's better than just any lever gun - a C&R lever gun. I have a small collection of Marlins with three of them being C&R so I just had to find a Winchester to add to the stable.

This is a Winchester 1894 chambered in 30 WCF, dated 1949 as best I can tell (waiting for our resident Winchester expert Trapp to confirm). It looks barely used. The finish is very nice with a few scratches here and there. Some of the smudges/discoloration is just oil that smears and does not really wipe off.
Not sure if the buttstock is original since the fit could be better and the finish looks to be a shade or more lighter than the handguard.

Old 02-15-2017, 6:20 PM

Them there are some fun shooters. I got one made in '52. It came with an old school Lyman peep sight and is enjoyable to shoot. Just wish ammo wasn't so expensive.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If it's an 1894, then it's a lot older than 1949. I believe they changed to the 94 in 1919.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Late 1948. I would have to have hands on to tell for sure, but it looks like a re-blue, but if it is, it's a damned good job!
Carbine buttstock with correct buttplate. Bad news, wood has been stripped. Good news, they didn't nut out sanding it, it's still proud to the metal. I "might" have one more factory front sight hood left if you're looking to replace it. The real challenge is finding it in the parts dump.
I'm slowly getting some of this stuff sorted out, but I have sight hoods that I have no idea where I got em, or what the hell they go to.
Old 02-15-2017, 7:28 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Default Winchester 1894 30 WCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rromeo View Post
If it's an 1894, then it's a lot older than 1949. I believe they changed to the 94 in 1919.

Ahh, 1894 and 94 are different? I thought it was just abbreviated.

Edit: some quick research says the 1894 and 94 are the same basic design. Winchester dropped the "18" from the model around 1919. Various minor changes have been made over the years but they're basically the same. At least it's a pre-64.

Last edited by rdfact; 02-15-2017 at 8:10 PM..
Old 02-15-2017, 8:13 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
Late 1948. I would have to have hands on to tell for sure, but it looks like a re-blue, but if it is, it's a damned good job!

Carbine buttstock with correct buttplate. Bad news, wood has been stripped. Good news, they didn't nut out sanding it, it's still proud to the metal. I "might" have one more factory front sight hood left if you're looking to replace it. The real challenge is finding it in the parts dump.

I'm slowly getting some of this stuff sorted out, but I have sight hoods that I have no idea where I got em, or what the hell they go to.

I would be interested in an original sight hood if you find one. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Love the old lever guns. Congrats on a nice looking find.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:34 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_shooter View Post
Them there are some fun shooters. I got one made in '52. It came with an old school Lyman peep sight and is enjoyable to shoot. Just wish ammo wasn't so expensive.

Thankfully I roll my own. I now have 4 of these hungry beasts to feed.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
Thankfully I roll my own. I now have 4 of these hungry beasts to feed.
Me too, and it helps a lot. Currently, it's costing me about 23 cents a round to shoot my 30-30's.

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band
Old 02-16-2017, 8:21 AM

It's a WWII production rifle. The "flat band" tells its story. I had two of them at one time. Nothing really special or rare about them--just a little different. Nice rifle.
Jon
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
Ahh, 1894 and 94 are different? I thought it was just abbreviated.

Edit: some quick research says the 1894 and 94 are the same basic design. Winchester dropped the "18" from the model around 1919. Various minor changes have been made over the years but they're basically the same. At least it's a pre-64.
They are the same for the most part, just the designation. I didn't notice the roll mark photo you posted, and thought yours said 1894. That's all.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 02-16-2017, 1:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
The blue looks good to me... Just the right amount of grain in different spots, and the lettering looks unbuffed...

The pic of the muzzle, and mag cap are the proof for me. Look at the different ways the grain of the metal flow....Hard to do with a buffer...
I think the finish is original...

As Trap said the stock has been sanded, but not to much...

Looks nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 02-16-2017, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know about it being reblued. The markings are still really crisp. The stylized "Winchester" and the word "Trademark" underneath it are usually stamped lighter than the other markings. And on this one, they appear to still be intact, and don't have that washed-out look that the lighter stampings tend to get from refinishing. Also, if you look at the "grain" of the sanding/finishing marks on both the barrel and the magazine to be, they appear to be consistent with the original machining marks that you typically find on factory rifle. I suppose it could have been reblued, but you are talking about museum-quality restoration there. It is hard to be certain from the pictures, but I would lean towards original finish for the metal.

The wood, on the other hand, I would agree has been refinished. Stripped and lightly sanded in some places. But a very professional-looking job. There doesn't appear to be much, if any, gap between the wood/metal points of contact. If it weren't for that flat-looking finish, it could pass for original.

-Mb
Old 02-16-2017, 2:23 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

I took my new toy out to play today but the range (Manteca Sportsmen) is closed due to flooding.
It's near the San Joaquin River. This pic is of the cowboy action and archery range. There shouldn't be any water there. The rifle range has a foot or two of water as does the parking lot. I spoke to the caretaker that lives there and he said the main reason for the closure is because of work crews on the levee which is directly behind the berms you shoot into.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
It's a WWII production rifle. The "flat band" tells its story. I had two of them at one time. Nothing really special or rare about them--just a little different. Nice rifle.
Jon
Flat bands were used 1946-1948. .30 WCF was changed to 30-30 in late 1949.
Old 02-16-2017, 5:41 PM

FYI- I can't verify the accuracy, but I have used this document to date my Winchesters:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/conten...-Documents.pdf

As Will Rogers once said:
"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."
Old 02-16-2017, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

This is the best site to use for dating your Winchesters:

http://winchestercollector.org/dates/

"Now there's one thing in the whole wide world, I sure would like to see....That's when that little love of mine, dips her doughnut in my tea"

The Band
Old 02-17-2017, 4:43 PM
NRA Life member
CGN Contributor

One more pic. I read on another site that the date of Mfg was often stamped on the bottom of the barrel near the receiver. 1948 it is.