Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-14-2017, 4:54 PM
gt.rn gt.rn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default First K98. How did i do?

Purchased this Bcd 43 from a senior member over on K98kforums. For my first k98 i really wanted one i could enjoy shooting as well as appreciating so this is not all-matching.

I was told that the "firing pin group" (not familiar with this terminology on these rifles) was unmatched and likely dropped in after taking a shrapnel or bullet strike. As such the bolt shroud, bolt stop, safety, and cocking piece are mismatched but match each other. Additionally the barrel markings don't appear to match the rifle either but i'm not familiar with what kind of a stamp it is.

The rifle appears very clean, bluing is quite decent, and the bore is immaculately mirrored. There does appear to be quite a bit of splotchy discoloration but i was told its not pitting or rust of any kind but merely a product of dried blood from use. If anyone can help determine the veracity of that based on pics i'd appreciate it.

I can definitely see why people collect these rifles as it feels like the most quality and aesthetically pleasing bolt action rifle in my relatively large collection. It also came with an authentic sling with crosshatching still largely intact. All in all very happy with the rifle but not sure how i did in terms of value as i paid $1200 for it shipped with sling which definitely seems a bit high for a shooter when i probably could've probably spent a couple hundred extra for a matching example. Love to hear all opinions, particularly from the k98 collectors in here. Thanks!

Pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/FehDv

Last edited by gt.rn; 02-14-2017 at 5:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-14-2017, 5:16 PM
Gutter's Avatar
Gutter Gutter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 1,116
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Factory codes aside, that does seem like an awful lot for a mismatched K98. You probably would have been better off with an RC if you were looking to consistently shoot it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2017, 6:56 PM
Milsurp Collector's Avatar
Milsurp Collector Milsurp Collector is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Free America
Posts: 4,797
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt.rn View Post
Additionally the barrel markings don't appear to match the rifle either but i'm not familiar with what kind of a stamp it is.
The numbers on the barrel are a barrel code showing the manufacturer and lot number for the barrel.

Very nice honest K98k. One advantage of a mostly-matching K98k like yours is that it is far less likely to have been faked than an "all-matching" K98k, so you can buy with confidence. It is far more desirable than any RC K98k in my opinion, and you can shoot it without fear of breaking a numbered part on an "all matching" rifle. The price is slightly high but not unreasonably so. The original sling adds value. For a first K98k I think you did well.

The areas of finish loss suggest "blood pitting". Whether the finish loss was actually caused by blood or some other substance on that particular rifle will never be known.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-14-2017, 7:33 PM
gt.rn gt.rn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
The numbers on the barrel are a barrel code showing the manufacturer and lot number for the barrel.

Very nice honest K98k. One advantage of a mostly-matching K98k like yours is that it is far less likely to have been faked than an "all-matching" K98k, so you can buy with confidence. It is far more desirable than any RC K98k in my opinion, and you can shoot it without fear of breaking a numbered part on an "all matching" rifle. The price is slightly high but not unreasonably so. The original sling adds value. For a first K98k I think you did well.

The areas of finish loss suggest "blood pitting". Whether the finish loss was actually caused by blood or some other substance on that particular rifle will never be known.
Thanks man for that thorough analysis. Nice to hear i ended up pretty much with exactly what i was looking for. And yeah i did just learn that the barrel numbers were actually meant to denote the steel manufacturer which was a totally normal thing on the bcd 43s. Really very happy with it all in all
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-14-2017, 7:34 PM
mosinnagantm9130's Avatar
mosinnagantm9130 mosinnagantm9130 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Places
Posts: 8,568
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Not up with current values on non-RC K98s, but I don't think I'd kick it out of the safe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodEyeSniper View Post
My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-14-2017, 7:58 PM
triplestack3's Avatar
triplestack3 triplestack3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,272
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

IDK if I would have spent as much as much as you did, but that's purely subjective. Objectively, very nice bore, cool that the sling is original, and overall a nice looking 98k.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-14-2017, 9:20 PM
Discogodfather's Avatar
Discogodfather Discogodfather is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,355
iTrader: 1 / 67%
Default

It's a high price for a partial match and a Gustloff rifle, but like Milsurp said it seems like an honest rifle. This is exactly the kind of rifle that is usually humped to be all matching, in fact it's the perfect candidate for an unscrupulous person. No duffle cut is nice, but it makes the scrutiny on the stock all that much more important.

I'd definitely show this on the K98k forum, experts there can tell you much more. Verifying that the stock is original is big, and also the firing pin and bolt small parts beyond the shroud, cocking piece, and selector. Chances are the firing pin is not matching either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
So it sounds to me like you're outraged about something that isn't actually happening anywhere outside your imagination.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Rogerbutthead's Avatar
Rogerbutthead Rogerbutthead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,801
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Even if you did pay too much, those rifles only go up in price.

I haven't been paying attention to prices lately, so 1200 does surprise me. Thought mismatched were going for a few hundred over RCs. No idea what RCs go for now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-15-2017, 1:23 AM
Milsurp Collector's Avatar
Milsurp Collector Milsurp Collector is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Free America
Posts: 4,797
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
No idea what RCs go for now.
They have gone up.

$720 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/601260145
$820 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612801133
$630 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612398797
$480 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/605146533
$675 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600270146
$665 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602245306
$566 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610564124

Even a freakin' Mitchell's Mauser went for $820 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/604136732

The days of the $279.95 Russian Capture K98k are long gone.

Rather than comparing the price of a mostly matching-matching K98k to an RC, they usually run about half the price of a legit all-matching K98k. The all-matching K98k's are currently around $2000, so a mostly-matching one should be around $1000. The OP's rifle has a matching bolt body so that's a plus, and has an original sling and has the cleaning rod (more pluses), the metal condition is above average except for the areas of "blood pitting", and with shipping he might be ~ $100-150 high, but that's not bad. Good purchase for a first (or only) K98k. Better than an RC for collector value and better than blowing money on a fake "all-matching" K98k.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-15-2017, 9:32 AM
gt.rn gt.rn is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 26
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
They have gone up.

$720 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/601260145
$820 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612801133
$630 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612398797
$480 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/605146533
$675 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600270146
$665 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602245306
$566 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/610564124

Even a freakin' Mitchell's Mauser went for $820 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/604136732

The days of the $279.95 Russian Capture K98k are long gone.

Rather than comparing the price of a mostly matching-matching K98k to an RC, they usually run about half the price of a legit all-matching K98k. The all-matching K98k's are currently around $2000, so a mostly-matching one should be around $1000. The OP's rifle has a matching bolt body so that's a plus, and has an original sling and has the cleaning rod (more pluses), the metal condition is above average except for the areas of "blood pitting", and with shipping he might be ~ $100-150 high, but that's not bad. Good purchase for a first (or only) K98k. Better than an RC for collector value and better than blowing money on a fake "all-matching" K98k.
Yeah I've routinely seen RCs go for 600-800 lately but the one that really surprises me is that Mitchell's! I almost bought one myself in "excellent condition" (something of a misnomer) for $250 back when i knew nothing about them. Hard to believe you can conceivably make a healthy profit throwing them up on GB.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-15-2017, 7:27 PM
TRAP55's Avatar
TRAP55 TRAP55 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dixon,CA
Posts: 4,268
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

The "ch" barrel code - Fabrique Nationale d'armes de Guerre S.A., Herstal, Belgium
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-15-2017, 9:04 PM
Enfield47's Avatar
Enfield47 Enfield47 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 5,672
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I had no idea how much the K98s have increased in price. It looks like an honest rifle and should make for a nice shooter.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:11 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.