Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-14-2017, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Default SKS Question

What was the year of the first importation of Chinese SKSs . And what year did they stop importing them. After the ban how long did it take for stockpiles already imported to run out from Importers like Canture etc.What was the last year China made new SKSs for export. I have a very late chinese SKS that does not have a threaded bayonet bolt holding it on. The spike bayonet was missing due to the law change regarding selling SKSs with the bayonet installed. I made a custom rivett and installed the proper bayonet.
Old 02-14-2017, 8:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This link might help.

http://chinesesks.weebly.com/dating-...inese-sks.html

http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-24.htm
Old 02-14-2017, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks for the link I have a 1991 SKS with minimal markings. Ser # only on top of bolt in the front and on the left side of the receiver. No chinese characters.
It is a great shooter and i love it.Still need to know when they were first imported to the USA.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

I think they started coming in around 1986-1987 or at least the AK's did I'm not sure if the SKS's took a little longer. I think it was in late 1994/1995 when Bill Clinton signed an EO which ended their importation.
Old 02-14-2017, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I think they started coming in around 1986-1987 or at least the AK's did I'm not sure if the SKS's took a little longer. I think it was in late 1994/1995 when Bill Clinton signed an EO which ended their importation.
I've read that on net before, but I keep thinking it was late 84 or 85 when I bought my SKS.
Old 02-14-2017, 7:14 PM

I don't know the answer to your question. But TECHNICALLY, if it was imported with out a bayo, that's how it has to stay. When they first started to remove them, many importer sold them with the detached bayos in the box.

I don't know who in the field would know, or would care, but that is the reg. Kinda like the current bullet button fiasco, if it has a BB then it must retain the BB. But I don't know if there are accurate records, importer and serial #s to those rifles that fell into that group. Remember it was a Federal reg, not specific to Kali. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 02-14-2017, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
I've read that on net before, but I keep thinking it was late 84 or 85 when I bought my SKS.
I think Chinese AK's came in as early as 1984-85 and for a time after this the ammo was still difficult to get.
Old 02-14-2017, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I remember seeing them in the late 80s but I can't recall when exactly.
Old 02-15-2017, 7:06 AM
Calguns Addict

I have been told that if it came without a bayonet than it has to stay that way. I miss no sleep over this detail with millions of SKSs out their with bayonets installed.But it is good to understand the details of what is legal.
Old 02-15-2017, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
I don't know the answer to your question. But TECHNICALLY, if it was imported with out a bayo, that's how it has to stay. When they first started to remove them, many importer sold them with the detached bayos in the box.

I don't know who in the field would know, or would care, but that is the reg. Kinda like the current bullet button fiasco, if it has a BB then it must retain the BB. But I don't know if there are accurate records, importer and serial #s to those rifles that fell into that group. Remember it was a Federal reg, not specific to Kali. PAX
The surplus ban ended in 1986, so the imports started after that....

As far as the bayonet legality issue is concerned, the restrictions were solely on importation of rifles with bayonets attached...

The ban was put into place after years of importing rifles WITH bayonets, so even at the time it was impossible to tell which was which if you put a bayonet on your rifle, which was imported without one...

In addition a few importers simply removed the bayonets, and wired them to the rifles so they were not legally "attached" to them.

Anyway ALL of the import bans related to the Federal "assault weapons" bans have lapsed, so it is no longer a violation of any law to have a bayonet on ANY SKS type rifle....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I remember it WAS a federal requirement. I have two chinese spikers and two bladed bought before the import bans. I had another spiker that I put on consignment at Turners riverside on Indiana ave when I was in California. They wouldn't take it until I removed the spike. They (wrongly) said that a chinese sks with a spike is an assault weapon in california. So I removed it and kept the spike and threaded rivet attachment and spring.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I think Chinese AK's came in as early as 1984-85 and for a time after this the ammo was still difficult to get.
Must have been 85. http://kfsindustries.com/about/company-history/

I don't remember for sure about ammo I bought a bunch when I bought the SKS. I really liked the Chinese ammo.
Old 02-16-2017, 2:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Must have been 85. http://kfsindustries.com/about/company-history/

I don't remember for sure about ammo I bought a bunch when I bought the SKS. I really liked the Chinese ammo.
I still have some of that norinco ammo. Been saving it because my SKS is happy shooting Tula or any other cheap 7.62 39.
Old 02-16-2017, 3:01 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
The surplus ban ended in 1986, so the imports started after that....

As far as the bayonet legality issue is concerned, the restrictions were solely on importation of rifles with bayonets attached...

The ban was put into place after years of importing rifles WITH bayonets, so even at the time it was impossible to tell which was which if you put a bayonet on your rifle, which was imported without one...

In addition a few importers simply removed the bayonets, and wired them to the rifles so they were not legally "attached" to them.

Anyway ALL of the import bans related to the Federal "assault weapons" bans have lapsed, so it is no longer a violation of any law to have a bayonet on ANY SKS type rifle....
1989 is when the Feds amended what was considered "sporting purpose" for imported semi-auto centerfire rifles.

{disregard bad info on bayonet lugs/bayonets}
Bayonet lugs and bayonets were deemed to not have a "sporting purpose", so starting in 1989, all imported semi-auto centerfire rifles could not be imported with bayonet lugs/bayonets attached.
^This is still in effect.

Attaching a bayonet lug/bayonet to an imported semi-auto centerfire rifle triggers Fed 922r parts compliance requirements.

Military C&R rifles in their original configuration are exempt from the "sporting purpose" requirements for imported semi-auto centerfire rifles.

18 USC 922
(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

18 USC 925
(d) The Attorney General shall authorize a firearm or ammunition to be imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof if the firearm or ammunition—
(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-16-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 9:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
1989 is when the Feds amended what was considered "sporting purpose" for imported semi-auto centerfire rifles.

Bayonet lugs and bayonets were deemed to not have a "sporting purpose", so starting in 1989, all imported semi-auto centerfire rifles could not be imported with bayonet lugs/bayonets attached.
Can you quote the specific section of the US code which you are referring to where "bayonet lugs/bayonets attached" are listed?

Quote:
Attaching a bayonet lug/bayonet to an imported semi-auto centerfire rifle triggers Fed 922r parts compliance requirements.
922 R specifically prohibits "assembly from imported parts any rifle.."

Adding a bayonet lug to a already assembled rifle does not constitute "assembly"...

Additionally there is no Possession prohibition. So merely possessing a Chinese SKS with a bayonet attached no matter when it was imported is not a crime...

Quote:
Military C&R rifles in their original configuration are exempt from the "sporting purpose" requirements for imported semi-auto centerfire rifles.
Before 1989 there were literally tens, if not hundreds of thousands of Chinese SKS rifles imported into the US with bayonets attached to the imported rifles...They are all legal to possess and or sell..

There is no way to tell one of these rifles from a later import...

Adding to that in the past 5 years BATFE has allowed the importation and sale of Chinese SKS rifles which have been classified as Military C&R rifles. All of which have their bayonets attached...

What this did was basically make all Chinese SKS rifles C&R's...

Quote:
18 USC 922
(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.
Section 18USC 925 as listed below exempts " surplus military firearms" Chinese SKS rifles are Surplus military firearms....and are exempt.

It also only applies to "importation" and "assembly" not possession.

Since about 2010 the importation of Chinese SKS rifles with bayonets attached as C&R's has been allowed by the BATFE...

Quote:
18 USC 925
(d) The Attorney General shall authorize a firearm or ammunition to be imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof if the firearm or ammunition—
(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms
, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 02-16-2017, 9:58 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Can you quote the specific section of the US code which you are referring to where "bayonet lugs/bayonets attached" are listed?
Appears I was given bad info.
Disregard what I posted.

27 CFR 478.39
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of § 478.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).