Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-04-2017, 6:04 PM

Default Ishapore SMLE Stock Repair

A while back I purchased an Ishapore SMLE with a pretty beat up stock with much damage to the draws. I am sharing some photos of the progress of the repairs. The first picture shows the original condition. I stripped the finish and then removed the broken pieces. It took much acetone and chalk treatment to draw out the oil from the wood ... as much as possible. Then I made walnut blocks to epoxy into the damaged areas. Before inserting the final spacer block I fitted the barrel and it is very snug, even hard to remove after inserted. It probably would have been cheaper and simpler to order a replacement stock but I wanted to try this first. At this point I have pretty confident hopes in success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Draws6.jpg (87.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Draws4.jpg (93.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Draws5.jpg (86.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Draws1.jpg (87.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Draws2.jpg (86.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 02-04-2017, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice work!

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 02-04-2017, 8:07 PM

I have/had the same problem. Bore looked minty but gun was dinner plate o' angle. I don't have the heart to start cutting and remove the factory repair. Wood there seems soft and full of oil. I ended up leaving the oil there as a makeshift release agent in case I ever change my mind. I used some epoxy resin to build up that area and reinforced the recoil area with fiberglass. Hopefully the fiberglass prevents the resin from just breaking. Basically a reversible bedding solution.

I'll have to see how this holds up. I'll have to take your route if it doesn't work long term but so far it brought my groups into acceptable range.

The other alternate is this. Written by our own gunnyUSMC
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=137&t=61088
Old 02-04-2017, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Good job!
Old 02-09-2017, 8:53 PM

Nice. I still peg mine as well for extra reenforcement. Nice chisels as well. Some of the best out there.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
Nice. I still peg mine as well for extra reenforcement. Nice chisels as well. Some of the best out there.
I picked up the chisels at a Bauhaus store (like Home Depot) in Germany. Much less expensive than here.

https://www.bauhaus.info/schnitzwerk...tz-/p/11084094

I reinforced a couple cracks with 'pins' made from cut off stainless steel #2-56 machine screws. I have been debating whether to pin the walnut blocks or not. Because the pieces go all the way back to the wrist of the firearm I am thinking it may be necessary.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Good looking salvage and repair work.

I've got a 2A1 with a similarly mushy and cracked stock (fore arm). I don't have the tools or skills to restore it. I'm going to have to wait until I find the correct furniture, until then I can put it in ATI synth and maintain it's shootability, otherwise it will continue to degrade. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 02-26-2017, 3:06 PM

Well, here is what it looks like with stock refinished with BLO/tung oil mix and put back together. Upper hand guard was a replacement obtained from fellow C&R Calgunner. I didn't give it the full de-oil treatment that I used on the other furniture and consequently it is still very dark (and cosmoline infused).

This rifle is stamped GRI (Georgius Rex Imperator - Emperor King George) with the year '40 and No.1 Mk III (no *). The receiver DOES have a magazine cutoff slot but the cutoff is absent and the fore stock is not trimmed to allow the installation of a cutoff. Also, there is no volley sight installed. However, the fore stock has a dimple where this would go but there is no evidence of removal and patching of the hole where it would have been. It looks like one was never installed.

Was the rifle factory at Ishapore still making No. 1 Mk. III rifles after the Brits had switched over to the * version? Is the cutoff slot an indication that the receiver, at least, was manufactured at least 100 years ago? Was the profile of the fore stock changed from Mk. III to Mk. III* (i.e. do the latter have that dimple for the volley sight even though no longer used)?

It was my understanding that about the time this rifle was stamped '40 the Ishapore factory was refurbishing old SMLEs but the features of this rifle make me wonder whether they were also building new rifles from old parts that were never made into complete rifles. Anyone know the answer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SMLE2.jpg (101.1 KB, 16 views)