Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-03-2017, 9:34 AM

Default Santa Barbara Historical Arms Assoc. Show- Feb 11&12

For you collectors and history buffs.

Earl Warren Fairgrounds in Santa Barbara - February 11 & 12, 2017

This is a collectors show, one of the last in Western US, which has been put on by the association for over 50 years. The show has items from the Civil War, WWI & II and the early west. All firearms must be over 50 years old.

Hours: Saturday: 9:00 am- 5:00 pm, Sunday: 9:00 am-3:00 pm

Admission: Adult $10.00, Children (16-18) $2.00, under 16 Free
Parking: $5.00
Public Contact: Paul M. Dougherty- 805- 657-0066
www.sbhaa.org

http://www.earlwarren.com/calendar-public-events/
Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Show has gotten worse and worse but I'll probably attend.
Old 02-03-2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Show has gotten worse and worse but I'll probably attend.
I blame this largely on increasingly restrictive CA gun laws.
Old 02-03-2017, 3:55 PM

I'll be in the area so I figured I would attend. How has it gotten worse?
Old 02-03-2017, 4:04 PM

I think the law that made cash and carry for C&R long guns older than 50 years old and requiring DROS is what really started to kill off the show, because it reduced the amount of available buyers greatly - not everyone has an 03 FFL and COE nor does every seller know that this makes you exempt from the existing law for C&R long guns over 50 years old.
Old 02-03-2017, 4:09 PM

The last show was awful. I'll never go again..
Old 02-03-2017, 4:11 PM

That's unfortunate. I remember the show even just a few years ago was worth going and I usually come out with something or another. This was pre-2014, though.
Old 02-03-2017, 4:15 PM

Is it worth it if I have my 03FFL & COE?
Old 02-03-2017, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringleader32 View Post
Is it worth it if I have my 03FFL & COE?
Probably not. Less vendors and more crap. Show is dying off for various reasons.
Old 02-03-2017, 8:30 PM

I also used to go and brought my kids with me, now it's just a waste of time IMO..,I'll attend the Ventura fairgrounds gunshow for sure, same weekend btw.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 AM

If you're looking for something special it's worth rummaging through the tables, found a table with a bunch of M1 stocks. Picked up a nice Julian dated IHC stock.
That guy to the right of the door has some pricey Garands. Nice rifles though
Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I've bought plenty of stuff at this show, it's still worth going to in my opinion. I have bought dies, an Enfield, a Mosin, a cheap shotgun, some stocks. I am sure it's not what it once was but there are always some cool and interesting guns to look at and some of the owners are interesting too, especially the ones who just exhibit their collections and don't have stuff for sale. I've learned a lot there like there are collectors who only own guns that were dug up out of the ground. I had a great conversation with a guy who had mint condition samples of basically every WWII and 1930s era Nambu pistol ever made. The James D. Julia audiotn table always has some rare and expensive stuff to drool over. Another guy who is always over on the left of the entrance who has an amazing collection of turn of the century boys scale .22 rifles.

If you are a true person of the gun and not a plastic rifle and pistol person, the show is still worth attending. I will probably go again. There are always at least a couple of tables of worthwhile C&Rs to look at and haggle over and I have met a few Calgunners there who have scored some really nice C&R guns.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 02-11-2017, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone go? Better than last time.

MAS-36 in the wrap for $275.
Old 02-11-2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post

Wow really? Great deal if you scored that!
Old 02-11-2017, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Naw, somebody else did and I already have one. I had my eye on some other prizes.
Old 02-11-2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:

OMG. Been looking for a deal on one of these for awhile now but been hearing around these parts that the show had really gone downhill over the years. I SHOULD'VE WENT
Old 02-11-2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
I've bought plenty of stuff at this show, it's still worth going to in my opinion. I have bought dies, an Enfield, a Mosin, a cheap shotgun, some stocks. I am sure it's not what it once was but there are always some cool and interesting guns to look at and some of the owners are interesting too, especially the ones who just exhibit their collections and don't have stuff for sale. I've learned a lot there like there are collectors who only own guns that were dug up out of the ground. I had a great conversation with a guy who had mint condition samples of basically every WWII and 1930s era Nambu pistol ever made. The James D. Julia audiotn table always has some rare and expensive stuff to drool over. Another guy who is always over on the left of the entrance who has an amazing collection of turn of the century boys scale .22 rifles.

If you are a true person of the gun and not a plastic rifle and pistol person, the show is still worth attending. I will probably go again. There are always at least a couple of tables of worthwhile C&Rs to look at and haggle over and I have met a few Calgunners there who have scored some really nice C&R guns.
Well said.
I didn't buy much today, but learned some new things in talking with a couple of vendors. It is always worth the trip for me even if I do not buy anything.
Old 02-11-2017, 6:02 PM

Oh crap, how did I not hear about this show before now?!
Old 02-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt.rn View Post
OMG. Been looking for a deal on one of these for awhile now but been hearing around these parts that the show had really gone downhill over the years. I SHOULD'VE WENT
You didn't miss much. You can always go on Sunday. This show was actually better than the Ventura show but that isn't saying much. I was about to leave disappointed but I had something already set up with one of the vendors so I did get a good deal on some ammo and odds and ends.

I think the next show will be my last and I probably shouldn't even attend that one. I did see a $300 98az Mauser but it seemed to have too many problems.

It was barely worth it for me to drive 125 miles and spend $30 on parking and admission for two very marginal shows.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromann View Post
Oh crap, how did I not hear about this show before now?!
Because the show promoter did a piss poor job of promoting it according to some vendors I know.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thing with Santa Barbara is to get in with a vendor or right at opening.

Interesting enough the MAS did not sell until about 11. Don't think most people noticed it.

As for the owner of the show, poor Paul is getting pretty old and I don't believe that he has the health to be aggressive in selling his venue. It's a real shame.
Old 02-12-2017, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thing with Santa Barbara is to get in with a vendor or right at opening.

Interesting enough the MAS did not sell until about 11. Don't think most people noticed it.

As for the owner of the show, poor Paul is getting pretty old and I don't believe that he has the health to be aggressive in selling his venue. It's a real shame.
That is the case with any show. The general public would be furious if they knew how much stuff is already gone and how shows are picked over before open to public.

The MAS did not sell right away IMO because the general American gun buying population does not like or understand French firearms. What are in wrap MAS36 prices like nowadays?

I also am less likely to attend this show because the older large woman involved with putting on the show with the butch haircut gave me attitude at last show. She acted decent this time but I have a long memory. A group of guys I know gave up on this show I don't blame them.

Also like the promoter the attendees are usually advanced in age. I am in early middle age and I've been in line and besides maybe someone bringing their grandkid I am the youngest person there. The problem of gun show vendors and attendees dying off is at all shows but really pronounced at this show.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Also like the promoter the attendees are usually advanced in age. I am in early middle age and I've been in line and besides maybe someone bringing their grandkid I am the youngest person there. The problem of gun show vendors and attendees dying off is at all shows but really pronounced at this show.
Yes - internet buying has effectively been the death blow to gun shows - you're often basically mingling with folks who don't use the internet other than FB to chat to grandkids.
This can mean prices that are no longer competitive, ignorance about transaction laws, and a general crabbiness from vendors.
All in all a rarely enjoyable experience.

...But, you may also stumble across those rarities if you're lucky, the obscure and less researched items can still be found for a song.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
Yes - internet buying has effectively been the death blow to gun shows - you're often basically mingling with folks who don't use the internet other than FB to chat to grandkids.
This can mean prices that are no longer competitive, ignorance about transaction laws, and a general crabbiness from vendors.
All in all a rarely enjoyable experience.

...But, you may also stumble across those rarities if you're lucky, the obscure and less researched items can still be found for a song.
And that is what keeps me motivated and willing to wake up at 6am on a Sat and spend all day at shows and shops. Ignorant sellers afraid of the internet or not properly using it have greatly enhanced my collection. The weekend before I got a gun for $375 worth $1200-1700.

Nothing brings a smile to my face like a vendor using a Blue Book to price and acting like it is the Torah or something.
Old 02-12-2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
And that is what keeps me motivated and willing to wake up at 6am on a Sat and spend all day at shows and shops. Ignorant sellers afraid of the internet or not properly using it have greatly enhanced my collection. The weekend before I got a gun for $375 worth $1200-1700.

Nothing brings a smile to my face like a vendor using a Blue Book to price and acting like it is the Torah or something.
Yes - it can work both ways.

I did both Ventura and SB today, SB was fun -
Ventura should be re-named the AR15 and jerky show.
Old 02-12-2017, 9:14 PM

I agree the Ventura Show was full of Ar15 Chinese junk...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
Yes - it can work both ways.

I did both Ventura and SB today, SB was fun -
Ventura should be re-named the AR15 and jerky show.
I think Gun Shows - and any kind of show (cameras, tools, aquariums, etc) are obsolete with the internet.

It's usually full of fat old guys who want top dollar for their crap. They aren't really motivated to sell, they just need something to do in retirement.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
I think Gun Shows - and any kind of show (cameras, tools, aquariums, etc) are obsolete with the internet.

It's usually full of fat old guys who want top dollar for their crap. They aren't really motivated to sell, they just need something to do in retirement.
Mainly true but the exceptions keep me going.