Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Default 8x58R Danish Krag brass

For those who have rifles chambered in Danish Krag, what do you use for brass? I recently acquired a Swedish 1867/89 rolling block sporter that came with a very small cache of converted 45-90 Starline. When I get this cleaned up I'd like to try loading up some rounds and could also use some feedback on experiences with different projectiles and powders.
Old 01-26-2017, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Buffalo Arms sells brass. They sell it with two different rim thicknesses so that you can headspace it for your particular rolling block rifle.

Be incredibly careful reloading this cartridge, as many of the loads for it out there are just plain wrong. Both Cartridges of the World and the data put out by Bob Shell (a supposed reloading expert) are WAY too hot for for the Krag actions, let alone the iron receivers found on those 1867 rolling blocks. Also be aware that the metal on your receiver is very brittle and very old. We all hear stories of somebody that was a friend of a friend, who knows somebody who was killed shooting old guns. In this case, there really is documentation out there of some guy managing to kill himself in Scandinavia someplace by blowing up one of these rolling blocks. A chunk of the receiver blew off when he shot a questionable home load, and went into his brain. Personally, I would stick to black powder, or light loads of black powder substitute. And I wouldn't shoot it all that often.

-Mb
Old 01-26-2017, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/RBfailure.html
Old 01-26-2017, 3:15 PM

Yes, I've seen Dutchman's site. There is a lot of good information and admonitions to be found there.

I'm told that the previous owner loaded with Blackhorn 209 (and jacketed bullets, apparently). My inclination is to work some light loads with cast lead bullets although I do not yet have any 8mm moulds at present. I have experience with black powder in flintlock but not in cartridge and don't have a bp safe powder measure.

Is there anything substantially different between the so-called black powder substitutes and the types of fast powders used for light loads with cast lead bullets (e.g. Trail Boss)?
Old 01-27-2017, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

No idea. I leave load development to the people with the know-how to do it properly. You can always contact Hogden and ask what they recommend for their 777 powders. I only reload this caliber with smokeless for an RPLT 42. I still keep them light though.

-Mb
Old 01-29-2017, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

I use reformed 8x56r brass, it may fit your chamber for fireforming.

Get lee .329- 205 mold for 8x56r with gas checks. Get .329 sizer kit from lee.

Bores on swede rollers are .329 and use of std. .323 8mm bullets are not going to give you good accuracy and wear out your barrel quickly.

I would buy the redding 300 wsm decapper/button neck sizing die, I use a button .002" less then loaded cartridge neck dia.

45 90 brass will have smaller neck dimensions.

I load 23 grains IMR SR4759, and 24 grains AA5744 with above, mid/upper power around 1700 fps
Old 01-29-2017, 4:13 PM

6mmintl,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to have to slug this barrel to get an idea. The previous owner was using jacketed .323 RN and it seems that might just be about right. Well, at least one of the pieces of brass that I got with the rifle is still loaded with such a projectile. It was a consignment piece so info is second hand. In any case, I'd rather use cast than jacketed.

This weekend I completely stripped the receiver and am giving the parts a good cleaning up.

SR4759 seems to be discontinued. I've been looking around for some AA5744 but so far the local sources are outrageously priced (~$45 per lb!). At that price I could order a couple pounds on line and still be coming out better.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
Bores on swede rollers are .329 and use of std. .323 8mm bullets are not going to give you good accuracy and wear out your barrel quickly.
I finally got around to slugging this particular rifle. The bore diameter appears to be 0.316 and the groove diameter is 0.325, so a bit larger than I estimated. I agree that a bit larger bullet is called for. If, the throat will allow it, I am thinking that a Lee 8mmKAR or 8mmMAX bullet may do the trick.

The slugs went smoothly down the barrel each time and with consistent resistance.
Old 02-11-2017, 7:28 PM

It seems that this rifle will have no problem taking just about any length bullet. It has a long tapered throat (about 0.6" to start of rifling). I cast the chamber today with some of Rotometals alloy. Here is a picture of a piece of brass that came with the rifle alongside the chamber cast. The neck part of the chamber is also tapered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChamberCast.jpg (87.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Hinnerk; 02-11-2017 at 7:31 PM..
Old 02-12-2017, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Aa5744 is fine, add 1 grain more then imr sr 4756. Or try a2400 18 grains start.

If hamme/trigger release is too heavy then thin trigger return spring and Polish all sharp edges.

Clean derust firing pin and breechblocks to prevent rust stuck pi .

I have two RBS one military and another sporter plus danish krag in 8x58R

I'm going to order an NOE mold with 240 FB and 280 gas check and try BPCR and BP Silhouette.