Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-16-2017, 9:12 AM

Default SS Contract and Scout Sniper. Legit?

Looking at a 1939 code 147 J.P.saure that was a scout sniper and a 1943 BNZ K98s that was a ss contract rifle. Few others looking so need to move relatively quickly. Do these look legit? I was told that the BNZ is duffle-cut with a DOT stock. Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/hgT3B
Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Buy the gun not the story. Don't know the asking price but if it's inflated due to being a "scout sniper" (what is a German scout sniper? Think that one through) or a "SS contract rifle" then pass.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1939 rifle shouldn't have a cupped buttplate stock.

There were no "scout sniper" K98k rifles. The closest would be a ZF-41 K98k, which isn't really a sniper with its 1.5x scope. The original manufacturers of ZF-41 rifles were

1941 - ar41, duv41
1942 - ar 42, duv 42
1943 - ar 43, byf 43
1944 - ar 44, byf 44
1945 - byf 45

Can't tell anything from the pictures of the bnz 43. Need a picture of the serial number on the receiver ring.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
1939 rifle shouldn't have a cupped buttplate stock.

There were no "scout sniper" K98k rifles. The closest would be a ZF-41 K98k, which isn't really a sniper with its 1.5x scope. The original manufacturers of ZF-41 rifles were

1941 - ar41, duv41
1942 - ar 42, duv 42
1943 - ar 43, byf 43
1944 - ar 44, byf 44
1945 - byf 45

Can't tell anything from the pictures of the bnz 43. Need a picture of the serial number on the receiver ring.
Thanks milsurp, im definitely going to rule that one out then. Ive already asked for additional pics of the bnz and i'll post them up when i get them

Last edited by gt.rn; 02-16-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM

few additional pictures added!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Try k98k forums for other expert opinions.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 02-16-2017, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

It all boils down to price...

The "scout sniper" is not....it's just a mismatched K98K in poor shape

The BNZ you need better pic's of the bolt serial number, as well as better in focus pics of the rest of the serial numbers...and markings.

What make you thing it was a "SS contract"....??

It looks okay, not necessarily matching...... but all related to how much the seller is asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 02-16-2017, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
What make you thing it was a "SS contract"....??

It looks okay, not necessarily matching...... but all related to how much the seller is asking.
Those aren't my words, i don't know enough about these rifles yet. That's literally what he listed it as.. and he's asking $2500 for that one and 1400 for the 'sniper.' He said both were all matching.
Old 02-16-2017, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can't be all matching if the 147 is wearing an improper stock with a cupped buttplate.

Need more pics of the BNZ, and I'm especially weary if of this since the seller claimed the 147 is matching. Something doesn't feel right here.

A few of those....A couple of that....but just enough to have fun :D
Old 02-16-2017, 7:20 PM

All numbers matching, like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-mm-Stamp-P...8AAOSw5cNYjmTX

And complete set of stampings?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stamp-Punch-...8AAOSw2xRYf93k

Heck, for just a few hundred dollars, you could have an all matching, "SS contract" Remington 700!
Old 02-16-2017, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
Can't be all matching if the 147 is wearing an improper stock with a cupped buttplate.

Need more pics of the BNZ, and I'm especially weary if of this since the seller claimed the 147 is matching. Something doesn't feel right here.
Yeah i think i'm going to pass on both. Too many question marks and the fact that everyone is super skeptical and rightfully so just doesn't make it worth the risk. Thanks everyone
Old 02-16-2017, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt.rn View Post
Those aren't my words, i don't know enough about these rifles yet. That's literally what he listed it as.. and he's asking $2500 for that one and $1400 for the 'sniper.' He said both were all matching.
Before you start spending money like that, spend $210 on this 2-volume set http://www.thirdpartypress.com/product-p/bookset.htm and study both volumes. It is an investment that could save you a lot more money than $210. Get the third volume when it comes out this year. Spend lots of time at http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdispla...he-Nazi-Period reading the threads and educating yourself. In particular spend a lot of time going through the threads listed here http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....eference-Index. Get the Bob in Ohio picture CD-ROM http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...e-CD-Volume-II and study it.

It is extremely easy to get burned if you haven't done your homework. Go to http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdispla...he-Nazi-Period, use the "search forum" feature and search for the terms "turd" and "fake" and read the threads. Set a price limit of $1000 and avoid "all matching" rifles, "SS rifles", "snipers", etc. until you are a lot more knowledgeable and experienced.

I've done my homework and I own several K98k's but there is a lot more that I don't know than I know. They are very cool rifles but I am still very cautious and skeptical when looking at one for purchase.

Here's my not-an-SS-contract bnz 43.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 02-16-2017 at 9:12 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

I can't remember the last time that I didn't see a WW2 Mauser Rifle that wasn't a sniper rifle.

Same goes for Mosin Nagants. Everybody has a MN sniper rifle. Geeze-la-wease. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:05 PM

Holy mackerel Milsurp_Collector that is one drool-worthy collection. Having just picked up my first k98 i've definitely been bit by the bug and am already hungry for another. I'm already somewhat active on the k98forums, that picture reference really is a great tool. Those two books and CD may be my next purchase so thanks for that. You're a wealth of knowledge yourself so i appreciate your help. And oh btw if you ever feel the desire to let one of yours go please let me know!

Last edited by gt.rn; 02-16-2017 at 10:07 PM..