Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-15-2017, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfact View Post
That thing is pristine! Very nice.
Now for my usual dumb question: Why would this have a US ordnance bomb stamp? I thought these rifles were created for private contracts, not a US government contract.
After the russians defaulted on the loans, the US gov took them over so the companies did not go out of business. Many US built M91s were used by the army as training rifles, and some were used in combat by the US army during the polar bear expedition.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-15-2017, 5:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
As long as the word "Rare" is used in the description of a C&R gun, people will pay. A regular Mosin Nagant or 1895 model Nagant is not rare. There in no reason to pay 300 bucks for either one of these.
Eh that's a bit of a broad brush for me. A regular 1942-3 Izhevsk refurb isn't rare at all, but there are plenty of variants that are.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-15-2017, 6:15 PM

SVT-40 that guy is a chick on gunboards posting the NEW for $5,200. I've seen her post a couple other uncommon rifles at ridiculous high prices. I have a theory as to why.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2017, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
SVT-40 that guy is a chick on gunboards posting the NEW for $5,200. I've seen her post a couple other uncommon rifles at ridiculous high prices. I have a theory as to why.

LOL... Maybe she needs new shoes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 02-20-2017, 5:05 AM

I hoped prices would come down. Went to the Chico Gun show, but it was cancelled. I thin it was better for the Red Cross to use it for a shelter, but I was still a bit disappointed. Had somme money.

FrankMo
Old 02-20-2017, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Bullseye in Riverside wants $495 for basic 91-30's
Old 02-20-2017, 8:21 AM

Seems over on the gun forums prices in private sales have come down a little. Gun stores haven't but there's not a lot of inventory out there right now. Once the CMP calls it quits on Garand sales I think prices will go up 25% immediately.
Old 02-20-2017, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
That seems a bit high..

River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento has them for $189.99. Maybe I should buy a bunch and take them down south.
Old 02-25-2017, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
$495 that is absurd. Paid a lot less per rifle for these 3 yesterday.

Old 02-25-2017, 1:30 PM

"anyone think the prices of C+R rifles are going to fall off?"

Simple question complicated answer.

Some C+R never really increases "enormously" in value - they just bob up a down over the years, in little increments.
Vetterli rifles, Carcanos, Swedish Mausers - or any contract Mauser's other than German, etc.,
(Yes, yes there are high value examples in any generalization, but, good luck getting a quick sale on a high end rarity.)

Look at 1950's American Rifleman magazines, they were the "cheap-stuff" back then, too.
(I bought MP44 and MP40 parts kits, the parts kits have a zero on the end of what I paid for them. I couldn't believe no one else was buying.)

Some like WW2 German, Snipers of any type, Rifles that are Combat associated, or used in specific battles, (and I don't mean actual examples, just the same "model.") are always going command a premium.
Good quality American made Arms are always going to be a safe investment.

I got into the game around 1996 - and read a ton of old magazines watched the increase in prices of various items, and they haven't changed much.
A film like Fury, or video game like CoD, will do what Rat Patrol or Combat did a few generations back.
They just steadily rise in value.

Jap stuff is always going to be a bit cheaper, with the difficulty of cheap ammo, truly decrepit state of manufacturing of late war rifles, and general awkwardness. But even those I see rapidly going up in price, not dropping off.

The economy is something else altogether, when it gets hit, so do high end-hobbies - is there going to be an economic crash - if I knew that I'd be at the racecourse.

In short my answer to your question is, "no."

Watch prices, buy now, be careful with your firearm and watch your investment grow.

Last edited by pitfighter; 02-25-2017 at 1:44 PM..
Old 02-25-2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
You've been at this for a lot longer than I have and your collection is much more comprehensive than mine so you probably are right, but there does seem to a somewhat of a wholesale change in the forces that drive the market, its sort of a microcosm of the entire gun market and hunting market. Then again, you live in a free state with a "normal" gun culture and those of us who live behind enemy lines experience the gun market and gun culture in the Commifornia bubble.

Here, I have three relatives and two friends, all under 35, who have recently, with my help, "gotten into guns". All of the five have shot my C&Rs and liked them, but when the rubber hit the road, they all bought Glocks and ARs, not a single C&R. To me, with my microscopic focus group, it seems as if only olds like us are into C&Rs enough to buy and collect them. Same thing I see whenever I go into a gun store that sells regular and C&R guns. The old guys hang out at the end of the store with the C&Rs but when anyone under 40 comes in, they end up buying a Glock, S&W or an AR/10/22/bolt deer rifle/modern shotgun. When I ask my friend the gun store owner who buys C&Rs, it's almost always "old geezers", not the 30 and 40 somethings. Perhaps there are still enough old geezers and younger geezers like me to drive the market five years from now? I don't know.

Guess I am considering the underlying causes that drive demand more than the market itself. But it is true, overall, even in the measly five years I have been into C&Rs, I have even seen the prices on the lowliest Mosin 91/30 that I picked up at Big 5 for $89.00 in 2013 fetch $250.00 today. I thought it was worth discussing at least.
I'm 20 and all I own are milsurps. Slot history majors in with olds!

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 3:27 AM

Default Anyone think C&R prices are going to fall off?

I already feel like I scored with my 91/30 from empire for $160 just a couple months back. And I know I did good with the $350 m39s from classic. Classic is down to just cracked stocks for $300 and up. M39s, k31s, sks prices are just going to keep rising. When cmp runs out of garands they will skyrocket.

Last edited by ChrisBrooklyn; 02-26-2017 at 3:29 AM..
Old 02-26-2017, 7:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only real threat to C&R prices is gun laws. Fight the gun laws and your investments will pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-26-2017, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Prices for quality items will always go up...
This is so true...especially guns in original configuration. We've seen the cycle over and over; two examples come to mind:

-back in the early 90's SKS rifles were under $99 if you bought a crate or a barrel of them. People went crazy "bubba-ing" them to death, adding polymer stocks, etc.

-in the late 80's/early 90's, Hogue introduced the finger-groove grips and everybody started throwing away the factory S&W wooden grips....

In both cases, examples that are in excellent, and original, condition are worth a significant premium now.

Gun collectors have a stampede mentality when it looks likes something is about to be scarce; the fun part of collecting is trying to be ahead of the stampede and buy on the low side of the demand curve.

Guns are like anything else - markets get overheated from time to time and if you only buy with the stampede you will not get your money back out easily.

--Neill
Old 02-26-2017, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBrooklyn View Post
When cmp runs out of garands they will skyrocket.
I'm not sure they will; even today you can go to a gun show and see dozens and dozens of high-priced immaculate Garands. They aren't exactly flying off the shelves...

What has made the CMP so special is the fact that the mixmaster guns they've offered are very affordable relative to the nice examples otherwise generally available on the market. Plus, you throw in the "lottery" aspect (some winchester parts? score!) and people (I am looking at myself) get addicted to the thrill of opening that brown box...

For every 10 guys who have been buying the maximum of 6 rifles per year from CMP...how many guys are out there that will pay $2000 for one that don't already own a handful? 1?...2?...

--Neill
Old 02-26-2017, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
"anyone think the prices of C+R rifles are going to fall off?"

Simple question complicated answer.

Some C+R never really increases "enormously" in value - they just bob up a down over the years, in little increments.
Vetterli rifles, Carcanos, Swedish Mausers - or any contract Mauser's other than German, etc.,
(Yes, yes there are high value examples in any generalization, but, good luck getting a quick sale on a high end rarity.)

Look at 1950's American Rifleman magazines, they were the "cheap-stuff" back then, too.
(I bought MP44 and MP40 parts kits, the parts kits have a zero on the end of what I paid for them. I couldn't believe no one else was buying.)

Some like WW2 German, Snipers of any type, Rifles that are Combat associated, or used in specific battles, (and I don't mean actual examples, just the same "model.") are always going command a premium.
Good quality American made Arms are always going to be a safe investment.

I got into the game around 1996 - and read a ton of old magazines watched the increase in prices of various items, and they haven't changed much.
A film like Fury, or video game like CoD, will do what Rat Patrol or Combat did a few generations back.
They just steadily rise in value.

Jap stuff is always going to be a bit cheaper, with the difficulty of cheap ammo, truly decrepit state of manufacturing of late war rifles, and general awkwardness. But even those I see rapidly going up in price, not dropping off.

The economy is something else altogether, when it gets hit, so do high end-hobbies - is there going to be an economic crash - if I knew that I'd be at the racecourse.

In short my answer to your question is, "no."

Watch prices, buy now, be careful with your firearm and watch your investment grow.
The simple answer is buy low sell high. Hard to predict future. You are right about Carcanos it took me years to sell an extremely rare version. However I quickly sold a rare South American contract version for big money it even had some problems.

I am amazed on Japanese prices even in late 1990's-early 2000's I remember them selling for very little.
Old 02-28-2017, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

sign this and just maybe.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1306573

Old 03-03-2017, 9:11 AM

Yes for sure. My 17 year old son has been working his tail off saving for a WWII era Garand. He wants a m1 Carbine next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
One thing that may hook a younger generation into C&R's are video games (Battlefield 1 is an example). My 13 year old has only been shooting for 2 years now, but he started asking me about old military rifles before that. He'd been playing one of the WWII video games and said something about Arisakas. He got all excited when I told him we have one, lol. Now he shoots regularly and his favorite guns are C&Rs. He'd rather shoot the Garand or Enfield than the AR, and he chooses to shoot P-38s over modern handguns.

A lot of his fellow boy scouts really like the Garands and M1 carbines in particular.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

IMO, buy something interesting that YOU LIKE and always keep the original parts and don't do 'in-undoable' modifications.

If you hold them for 10-20 years, you'll almost always make money, and at worst get your money back (plus inflation).
And even if not, you got to enjoy it for a couple decades.

-Dave
Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

Surest way to loose money on C&R is to seek money in every deal, at least that's my experience. Do good research and have patience and buy things you like, then let time make you some money. There are far better ways to invest money so doing it for that sake is silly.
Old 03-05-2017, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Surest way to loose money on C&R is to seek money in every deal, at least that's my experience. Do good research and have patience and buy things you like, then let time make you some money. There are far better ways to invest money so doing it for that sake is silly.
Not in my experience. I generally won't buy them unless I know I could sell them the next day for same or more money than what I paid. I have rarely lost out when doing so.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Now tha teveryone's not scared of Obama, I think prices are going to come down. I'm wantin' a Garand, a k98, and maybe a 91/30. I think by next year.

FrankMo
Old 03-10-2017, 6:27 PM

There is a very old saying. "Nothing stays the same".
That applies to everything ... everything.

Old folks would remember when eggs were 25 cents a dozen.
Last year, eggs sold for $6.99 at Safeway, they are now $5.99.

If you paid too much this year, in a few years it will be a "deal",
to someone else at the same or higher price.

That's how it works.

Earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs, but not every mans greed.
Old 03-10-2017, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFunGuy View Post
There is a very old saying. "Nothing stays the same".
That applies to everything ... everything.

Old folks would remember when eggs were 25 cents a dozen.
Last year, eggs sold for $6.99 at Safeway, they are now $5.99.

If you paid too much this year, in a few years it will be a "deal",
to someone else at the same or higher price.

That's how it works.
Yes now factor in inflation. For C&R Prices to rise they have to stay ahead of inflation.

I am seeing a Classic Bubble forming. I'm amazed by the percentage of new "collectors" who are simply wannabe flippers. They are talking about how they are going to buy Broken Stock M39s for $360 from Classic. Then hope they get lucky and end up with a slightly cracked stock. Then they can flip them for a couple hundred. Guys are talking about paying $400 for a Savage Enfield and flipping it for $550. When they get stuck with the rifles and prices start falling they will then panic sell. That's when the bubble bursts.