Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-09-2017, 1:26 PM

Default Gewehr 98s

I am trying to look for the price on how much these go locally but I can't even find one anywhere lol.

What is the MOST you'd pay for one of these?
Old 02-09-2017, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are out there.

Old 02-09-2017, 1:57 PM

Gun Brokers is always worth a look.
Old 02-09-2017, 2:02 PM

They seem to be rising in popularity fast, they're out there but vary greatly in price. I've been on the hunt for one but am looking for it to have the roller coaster rear sight.
Old 02-09-2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint67 View Post
They seem to be rising in popularity fast, they're out there but vary greatly in price. I've been on the hunt for one but am looking for it to have the roller coaster rear sight.
I think BF1 has something to do with this. lol

Yes, I am interested in the roller coaster sights as well but wondering how much more would they be.

I looked on GB and they have one for 1000+ for a German one. No Turkish ones, I think those may be in the price range I am looking for.
Old 02-09-2017, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, you will get what you pay for. The distilled essence of my years of collecting is to buy the very best one you can. The really good stuff continues to increase in value and will always have a pool of potential buyers that will purchase them if you decide to sell. The low end beaters tend to appeal to bottom feeders that are unwilling and/or unable to pay a fair price.

I would like to have one, but I want a really nice example that is in original condition and no Turkish markings. The trouble is, they have gotten rather expensive lately and you will have to pay a grand or so for a nice one.
Old 02-09-2017, 4:10 PM

Make sure you can handle one. They are long and heavy rifles.
Old 02-09-2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Generally speaking, you will get what you pay for. The distilled essence of my years of collecting is to buy the very best one you can. The really good stuff continues to increase in value and will always have a pool of potential buyers that will purchase them if you decide to sell. The low end beaters tend to appeal to bottom feeders that are unwilling and/or unable to pay a fair price.

I would like to have one, but I want a really nice example that is in original condition and no Turkish markings. The trouble is, they have gotten rather expensive lately and you will have to pay a grand or so for a nice one.
I just want a shooter. You see, if I buy one in very good condition, I will be a bit hesitant to take it out and shoot because I would not want to damage it somehow.

But even then, the lower end ones will still increase in value unless they are sporterized.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am hunting for a G98 too and there isn't much out there right now. Especially if looking for a hot deal.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

The only things you can do are either wait until one pops up in your price range, or pay a premium to get one now from one of the people selling them significantly higher than blue book value. The whole thing about these kinds of milsurp rifles is that there are not vast stockpiles of them sitting in warehouses in Russia. The Gew 98 was mostly surplussed out after WWI, so they have been spread all over the place. If you want one that is in decent shape, with the Lange-Visier rear sight, you are just going to have to keep looking until you find one. It may take you several years. That is just the nature of the beast. Good luck!

-Mb
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
Yes, I am interested in the roller coaster sights as well but wondering how much more would they be.

I just want a shooter.
Keep in mind if you want a shooter that the shortest distance on that rear sight is 400 meters.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:49 PM

What Milsurp Collector said; I owned several of these over the years but ended up selling them off since the Lange Vizier sight wouldnt allow for 100-300 meter shooting, which where most of my range time is spent. Cool guns, tho and lots of history
Old 02-10-2017, 3:17 PM

My favorite Mauser iteration, it's the "OG" Model 98.

Just note that the original finish of these rifles is that the receiver is in-the-white, with the sight graduation base on the Lange Vizier rear sight also in-the-white, with a blued barrel and other small parts, and a straight bolt handle.

Getting harder and harder to find these in original as-issued WW1 condition these days.
Old 02-11-2017, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

GEW 98's are a very neat rifle to collect. Not only all original guns, but others that have were in service after WWI...

This 1916 Erfurt GEW98 saw service with Germany during WWI, and was also in service with Poland... Somehow it came back into German hands, and was used by the Nazis in WWII.

Love all the different markings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.