Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-13-2018, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

OK. Now I get it. After doing a Google search on putting a G19 slide onto a G17 frame, You can not do this without some modifications.

So for anyone who wants to do this, your option is to buy a G19X. But being the thrifty person that I am, I would just buy a G17 magazine and put a finger sleeve on it. Now my G19 gen 3 will basically be a G19X but unfortunately it will be black instead of the highly collectible Coyote color.

Am I missing anything? Is the trigger exactly the same as all other Glocks? The sights have been upgraded on the G19X but there are lots of sight options for around $100. Come on Glock enthusiasts, please educate us why the G19X is so special. I can see why someone would pay $1,500 for a custom ZEV G19.

Last edited by Litespeeds; 02-13-2018 at 4:35 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 4:33 PM
Veteran Member

The trigger is the different linkage thatís used in the model 42 and 43 I believe. The gen 5 guns are all going over to that trigger set up. Iíve only shot a 42 and it didnít seem magically different.
Old 02-13-2018, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
The trigger is the different linkage thatís used in the model 42 and 43 I believe. The gen 5 guns are all going over to that trigger set up. Iíve only shot a 42 and it didnít seem magically different.
I was at a gun store in Las Vegas and handled a Glock 19 gen 5, CZ P10C, Canik TP9SFX and Walther Q5 Match. All the above guns had a better trigger than the Glock. Granted I didn't shoot each one but I did dry fire them.

I could see why a Q5 Match would sell here in CA for $1,500 or even the Canik but not any of the other polymers.
Old 02-13-2018, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

My G19X-ish

G19 slide
G19 RSA
G34 barrel
G34 frame

Enjoy,

Old 02-13-2018, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

U said it it's a no brainer
Old 02-13-2018, 5:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
Really? What a silly statement to make on a California gun forum. Where in California can I, a non-exempt civilian, walk into a gun store and legally buy a G19X for $600?
You cannot. If you want what Glock puts on the market at $600, then you will have to pay a premium for that $600 product. The fact that you will pay that ridiculous premium does not change that it has an MSRP of $600. Since it offers no significant benefit over the readily available G19 or G17, then the premium is due to vanity rather than need. Entirely a person's right to throw away money in any way they feel, though.
Old 02-13-2018, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
I have $1,500 to spend on a gun. Should I buy a Glock 19X or a slightly used Les Baer Premier II 1911? Hmmm. It should be a no brainer but let's hear what the majority of CalGunners would do.

Semi-Custom steel 1911 or mass produced polymer? Tough decision. Please educate me.

Buy the Les Baer. It will hold value and is more fun to shoot. Off roster Glock value drop as soon as the next gen comes out. Gen 4 MOS models started at $1,200, now I see them for $800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I just can't understand why anyone would consider buying a polymer gun that should sell for $600 when they can buy something much nicer for $1,500 like a Les Baer Premier II.
Yes, but this is the CGM we're talking about. That Premier is going to be priced at $3000!

* For the record, the last Premier II offered in the CGM actually was initially offered at $3K before the seller dropped the price.
Old 02-13-2018, 9:11 PM

Les Bear , then bacon.
Old 02-14-2018, 6:28 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
You cannot. If you want what Glock puts on the market at $600, then you will have to pay a premium for that $600 product. The fact that you will pay that ridiculous premium does not change that it has an MSRP of $600. Since it offers no significant benefit over the readily available G19 or G17, then the premium is due to vanity rather than need. Entirely a person's right to throw away money in any way they feel, though.
You only answered half of my post. How much is a gallon of gasoline?
Old 02-14-2018, 7:33 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OK. Now I get it. After doing a Google search on putting a G19 slide onto a G17 frame, You can not do this without some modifications.

So for anyone who wants to do this, your option is to buy a G19X. But being the thrifty person that I am, I would just buy a G17 magazine and put a finger sleeve on it. Now my G19 gen 3 will basically be a G19X but unfortunately it will be black instead of the highly collectible Coyote color.

Am I missing anything? Is the trigger exactly the same as all other Glocks? The sights have been upgraded on the G19X but there are lots of sight options for around $100. Come on Glock enthusiasts, please educate us why the G19X is so special. I can see why someone would pay $1,500 for a custom ZEV G19.
Here's a scenario for you to think through.

John Doe has a CCW permit in California. John is proficient with Glocks and he wishes to carry a Glock with no finger grooves. It's very important to him that there are no finger grooves, and his budget is virtually unlimited since he makes decent money and CCW is very important to him. John has a large build and he is easily able to ccw a full-size framed pistol.

What is the best way for John to accomplish this goal?
Old 02-14-2018, 9:27 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

John Doe has a CCW permit in California. John is proficient with Glocks and he wishes to carry a Glock with no finger grooves. It's very important to him that there are no finger grooves, and his budget is virtually unlimited since he makes decent money and CCW is very important to him. John has a large build and he is easily able to ccw a full-size framed pistol.

Gen3 with frame work if it is allowed... can buy it right away and find someone to mod it right away. SO that's gonna cost what? $720 or so with tax, fees, DROS?

OR money no object AND time no object, hunt a gen5 down if allowed and pay $400-$600 more right?
Old 02-14-2018, 9:46 AM

Quote:

Gen 2 has no finger grooves.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:49 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Gen3 with frame work if it is allowed... can buy it right away and find someone to mod it right away. SO that's gonna cost what? $720 or so with tax, fees, DROS?
Nope! The IA is going to reject the gun if there's been frame work on it.

Quote:
OR money no object AND time no object, hunt a gen5 down if allowed and pay $400-$600 more right?
Yep! That is the ONLY way to get that pistol on his CCW permit. It has to be stock, unmodified except for incidentals such as night sights or grip panels. Now take into account that this John Doe character has invested in Glock specific tools, has taken a Glock armorer class, has over a decade's worth of muscle memory specifically developed on Glocks, has piles upon piles of Glock mags... suddenly it becomes a little more clear why John Doe is willing to pay the $500 "finders fee" to get a Gen5 Glock on his CCW rather than switching to a different pistol altogether.

If you haven't inferred by now. John Doe is me.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:51 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@515 View Post
Prefer not to trust a pistol that old, just as a matter of practicality. I'm sure it would be fine but I would never be 100% confident in it. Good suggestion, though.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Prefer not to trust a pistol that old, just as a matter of practicality. I'm sure it would be fine but I would never be 100% confident in it. Good suggestion, though.
I understand and respect. I donít carry but do trust my life to that gun. It has not failed at all yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 9:57 AM
Handgun fanboy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nope! The IA is going to reject the gun if there's been frame work on it.

Yep! That is the ONLY way to get that pistol on his CCW permit. It has to be stock

suddenly it becomes a little more clear why John Doe is willing to pay the $500 "finders fee" to get a Gen5 Glock on his CCW rather than switching to a different pistol altogether.
Sounds good to me. Good luck. I hope most people don't care what other people do with their money.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Then John Doe should just go and buy the Glock G19X for $1,500. Oh wait, these are going on sale now for around $1,300. Apparently there isn't enough interest at the $1,500 range.

Why doesn't John Doe just look for a Glock 17 gen 5 and call it a day? I'm sure you can find one in the Marketplace for $850-$1000. Unless you like the Coyote color, then you are stuck paying the 2.5x CA markup. Either way it is your money and you definitely can do whatever you'd like with it.

But tell me would you tell all your buddies that you scored on a Glock G19X and tell them how much you paid for it or will you be embarrassed as someone just made a nice profit from you?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:09 AM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Then John Doe should just go and buy the Glock G19X for $1,500. Oh wait, these are going on sale now for around $1,300. Apparently there isn't enough interest at the $1,500 range.

Why doesn't John Doe just look for a Glock 17 gen 5 and call it a day? I'm sure you can find one in the Marketplace for $850-$1000. Unless you like the Coyote color, then you are stuck paying the 2.5x CA markup. Either way it is your money and you definitely can do whatever you'd like with it.
No, I would really rather not buy a G19X. I'd much rather have a plain Gen5 G17 for $800-1000. The only reason the G19X came up is because you positioned it against the Les Baer in a false dichotomy situation. IF the only two choices were Les Baer and G19X as you proposed, then I'd take the G19X because a 1911 is useless to me.

Quote:
But tell me would you tell all your buddies that you scored on a Glock G19X and tell them how much you paid for it or will you be embarrassed as someone just made a nice profit from you?
Yeah, I'd openly tell people I paid a premium for my Gen5. I can tell from your posts that you are still just sneering with condescension from your 1911 humblebrag. Whatever, dude. I hope you enjoy shooting it.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The best way is to get a FN509
Old 02-14-2018, 2:04 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbc View Post
The best way is to get a FN509
Haha, FN makes good stuff but I've somehow never tried one. I'd like to own a Five-Seven one day just for how unique it is, but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 02-14-2018, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
You only answered half of my post. How much is a gallon of gasoline?
Apples and light bulbs. A commodity and a retail product are not the same thing. Ask me how much a gallon of Prestone Anti-Freeze is, and then you are using an accurate analogy.
Old 02-14-2018, 5:34 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Apples and light bulbs. A commodity and a retail product are not the same thing. Ask me how much a gallon of Prestone Anti-Freeze is, and then you are using an accurate analogy.
In an alternate universe where the EPA has banned anti-freeze, OP is posting a thread right now: "$1,500 to spend, one gallon of Prestone Anti-Freeze or a Les Baer Premier II?"
Old 02-14-2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
It also has no rail.

What if the shooter is wrong handed? Then gens 1-4 don’t offer complete ambi controls.

People like to downplay the features of the gen5 like they’re worthless or just don’t matter. I’ve owned gen3s and I’d take a 4 or 5 over one any day. Better RSA, better trigger, better texture, better mag release, better grip geometry and backstrap options, and in the case of gen5 no finger grooves, better barrel, and even better trigger than gen4.

At $585 I’d take a 19X only a 1911. Way better value for ones money and I love 1911s.

Last edited by solipsism; 02-14-2018 at 5:42 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
It also has no rail.

What if the shooter is wrong handed? Then gens 1-4 don’t offer complete ambi controls.

People like to downplay the features of the gen5 like they’re worthless or just don’t matter. I’ve owned gen3s and I’d take a 4 or 5 over one any day. Better RSA, better trigger, better texture, better mag release, better grip geometry and backstrap options, and in the case of gen5 no finger grooves, better barrel, and even better trigger than gen4.

At $585 I’d take a 19X only a 1911. Way better value for ones money and I love 1911s.
Hey Tuna, are you left handed and are you going to put a light on your ccw Glock?

(After all this thread has become one of those literal hypotheticals). Lol

Last edited by 808@515; 02-14-2018 at 6:06 PM..
Old 02-14-2018, 6:14 PM
NRA/CRPA/CGN/CGSSA
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hey Tuna, are you left handed and are you going to put a light on your ccw Glock?

(After all this thread has become one of those literal hypotheticals). Lol
I'm right-handed! But I have some nerve damage in my right hand so, over the past few years, I have been doing more and more things left-handed. Ambi controls on a pistol are a big bonus for me, and because OCSD won't allow any gun modifications, I'm not allowed to just put an ambidextrous lower on my Gen3 Glocks. Seeing that ambidextrous slide stop on the Gen5 Glocks made me go like this:
Old 02-14-2018, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Haha, FN makes good stuff but I've somehow never tried one. I'd like to own a Five-Seven one day just for how unique it is, but it hasn't happened yet.

Hehe. You are not missing much with the FN 5-7. I shot it a few times and the experiences were just meh.

Back to the topic. I have to agree with Tuna guys.
Old 02-14-2018, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I have $1,500 to spend on a gun. Should I buy a Glock 19X or a slightly used Les Baer Premier II 1911?
How is this even a question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM

Just buy a G19 and put a G17 mag in it. You now have a G19X with a little less plastic on the grip
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGlock9 View Post
Just buy a G19 and put a G17 mag in it. You now have a G19X with a little less plastic on the grip
Or use a bare poly 80 frame (and a talon grip or stipple yourself). no finger grooves, and the x grip with a glock 17 mag fits perfectly.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Les Baer.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLamb View Post
Les Baer.
Yeah, but anyone can buy a Baer. Most of them are on the roster.

How many people can get their hands on a G19X?
Old 02-15-2018, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
How is this even a question?
This is what I've been asking myself over and over.

I like polymer guns - not blocks but M&P's, but between them and a 1911, for me it's a no brainer.
Old 02-15-2018, 5:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosh69 View Post
This is what I've been asking myself over and over.

I like polymer guns - not blocks but M&P's, but between them and a 1911, for me it's a no brainer.
And especially a Baer at under $1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.